twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 643
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
I highly recommend this game for its depth and breadth and longetivity - this is a continuation of a campaign from another server and it's been going on for a decade now.

I have tried so many other games only to see the DM vanish and the game die. That won't happen with this game.

And, if you only know 5e rules I think it's totally fine. There is a lot more role playing than combat and combat is more descriptive than truly technical. You try something - it works or it doesn't in a big picture without any nitpicking about micro movement rules.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3160
Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers
Interested in this game. What would you like to see in terms of an application?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1118
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Hello Whispers, thanks for the interest. On the application put down what kind of character would like to run, good, evil, somewhere in between. A bit of history if you have ideas or we can make a history for you with some elements you want, like is the character an orphan, a cobbler's child, an escaped slave, a displaced tradesman, stuff to build the characters early story. Then name, race, class, and edition.

That is an odd question but we have mixed editions in this game. Back when Reluctant Heroes was moved to historical fictitious Europe in the late 1990's, 3.5 was the game played. 3.5 is a good game, particularly for table top and use of maps and graphs and miniatures. It is also good for getting into the nitty gritty technical details of combat and movement. Over the years, we have found it tends to bog down in PBP format and many players prefer a faster, less technical approach to Roleplaying. I think that can be seen in the growing popularity of 5th Edition. Before 5th Edition started out, we started changing the rules and moving away from the more detailed aspects. Most of the players have preferred that. We now have a mix and match with characters as well, using 5th Edition Templates as well as the original 3.5 Edition templates for characters. Currently we have a 5th Edition Warlock character who uses the 3.5 Edition sorcerer for skills and feats. It seems to be working out. If it doesn't, we will make changes. We are not afraid to try things. When changes work well, we keep them, when we don't, we go back to the drawing board. Feel free to choose from either.
There is also a heavier than normal drow element in the game due to a couple of Drow PC's who left an Underdark campaign to make their fortune on the surface. They also wanted to get away from the Matron Mothers. One of them was a male of a noble house who felt life on the surface was better than getting wedded, bedded, and eaten.
Hope to hear more from you.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Ad meliora.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5606
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Rasgorn! If I create characters on a Fifth Edition template, what point allocation do you prefer? 27point buy?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
A 27 point buy would work.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Bump
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 153
KageRa KageRa
hihi! I have an idea for a feytouched monk as a conversion from another game if you're still recruiting.
Name: Jennifer
Race Feytouched
Class: monk, mechanically but not thematically(more like a battledancer)
Personality: Fun loving, flirty, constantly drunk. She's currently out to escape her past which is developed but I would like to reveal slowly if possible. Somewhat of an east Asian theme if that's acceptable.
Built using either 3.5 or pathfinder

In Progress: http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/....php?cid=87349

Last edited by KageRa; 02-14-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2884
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
I am a little confused on the 3.5 and 5.0. So if a paladin you can use the 5.0 version, but skills and feats from 3.5. How does BAB
work since they are totally different format etc.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi KageRA, a feytouched monk is an intriguing idea. What you are describing reminds me of a Banderan Adept. We first got the idea for these Adepts from the "Thieves World," books about Tempus and the Stepsons. Niko, one of the Stepsons, was a Banderan Adept. Since then we have had two player character's and two NPC's run in the game, and all have worked out. I am curious to know your idea of Fey touched to see how it matches the Fey of Reluctant Heroes. Since you mentioned East Asia themed, would Jennifer be more related to the Oni, Kappa, or Kitsune, rather than the Celtic/Germanic Fey?

Hi Clawsome, here is an example, let me know if you have more questions. We are always looking for insight to making a better game.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 153
KageRa KageRa
Likely Kitsune typed as I tend to do. Ears and tail included. I find that the kitsune style tends to be fairly thematically in line with the Celtic style if not visually. I've made characters with backgrounds coming from all sorts of cultures but as a certified weeb/otaku i do gravitate towards the far east when I can(I stick with celtic/germanic when i'm doing halflings/dwarves respectively).
Old 02-17-2020, 10:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi KageRa, I will send you a PM and we can get Jennifer going.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hello All,

Now I know I created some confusion about mixing 3.5 with 5th Edition. In Reluctant Heroes, 3.5 characters use 3.5 mechanics and rules and the 5th Edition characters use 5th Edition mechanics and rules. It is an experiment, if it works, all to the good, if it doesn't we go back to the drawing board. A number of years ago when 3.5 first came out,(a long numbers of years ago) we mixed 3.5 with 2nd Edition and it worked. RH has always been more about the story the players create and the roleplaying than anything else. When mixing or combining different mechanics it is all about maintaining the equity in the challenges presented to the players. So far we have managed to do that.

Now, I am soon going to take down this AD and bring up a new AD in a week or so. If anyone has any questions or interest in RH, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
If you are still looking for players I would be interested. I have 3.5 rules, but I only played it for a short while quite a few years ago, so I would need to read up on it again. I have an idea for a Viking character, so that seems like it would fit in with one of your threads. I am thinking of going with a basic fighter, but the idea would work for a cleric as well, if you are in need of one. I don't have a lot of the character backstory fleshed out yet, but his main goal in life would not be money or power. He would want to become the best warrior he could possibly be. As such, he would seek to test his skills in as fair a way as possible and he would try to learn something from every battle. His views on personal combat as opposed to those of a group battle would be a bit different. Would something like this work?
Old 03-20-2020, 02:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Murdoch, that would most definitely work. The current recruitment is for the "Wrack and Runes," thread where the characters are scouting the danelands and Groenland, which have fallen to chaos amid the plague, the long winter and Bjorn Swift Axe, King of the Danes having left the Kingdom two years ago on a quest in the East. Since then, the Danelands have fallen apart due to ambitions and petty rivalries and invading humanoids.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
I will work on a character this weekend and send you something as soon as I have it.