Other [Hero System aka Champions] Learning Curve - Page 12 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
Hello,

I have played the Hero system before, but only Champions. I recently read the Monster Hunters International series and loved it, and I have been hoping to find a way to play in that setting. I have the seed of an idea for a for a character who was raised in a survivalist group in Montana, so he would have some survival skills and be decent with firearms. I do not have the background fleshed out yet. Does this sound like something that would work?
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4023
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
Hello,

I have played the Hero system before, but only Champions. I recently read the Monster Hunters International series and loved it, and I have been hoping to find a way to play in that setting. I have the seed of an idea for a for a character who was raised in a survivalist group in Montana, so he would have some survival skills and be decent with firearms. I do not have the background fleshed out yet. Does this sound like something that would work?
That sounds great! As long as you are okay with the character having relocated to San Diego!

Join the tug of war! and Rules
Old 02-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
I need to flesh this out quite a bit, but the basic idea is below.

Name: Justin Burgess

Justin will have grown up the youngest of three sons on a militia/survivalist compound in Montana. The family had a deep distrust of law enforcement and the government. The compound was made up of several families and all of the kids were home schooled. Despite the beliefs of the adults the kids did receive a decent education. His father always felt they would have to fight off the government someday, so the compound was always well stocked with weapons and everyone drilled with them. Justin's dad even knew a bit about making improvised explosives and Justin picked up that skill as well. Justin's dad felt it was important that his kids know how to live off the land so he taught his sons how to survive in the wilderness, in all four seasons. The largest source of income for the compound was gun trafficking. Justin knew about it, but his father always kept him out of it. When Justin was 20 his mother became very ill and his father's paranoia prevented her from seeking treatment. She died of cancer after wasting away for two years and this experience drove Justin and his father apart. Justin left the compound a year later and moved to California, partly to go to a place as different as possible from where he grew up. Despite the rift between them, Justin's father gave him several guns as a parting gift, all legally purchased so Justin would not have any problems with the law. Justin has no real skills, so he has been working as a night watchman/security guard. (This is a good way for him to have his monster encounter.) Recently the compound was raided and all of the adults who were involved with the gun trade, including Justin's father and two older brothers, were arrested. Despite his distance from his father, Justin is desperate to make money for his family's legal defense. Justin has tried to put some of his childhood beliefs behind him, he still has a deep distrust of the government and law enforcement.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Oh! This will work well!!! I would like to expedite this chargen to get you into a current scene, if you don’t mind? I promise you can still “tinker “ with the details even after starting playing the character!
Quote:
I need to flesh this out quite a bit, but the basic idea is below.

Justin will have grown up the youngest of three sons on a militia/survivalist compound in Montana. The family had a deep distrust of law enforcement and the government. The compound was made up of several families and all of the kids were home schooled. Despite the beliefs of the adults the kids did receive a decent education. His father always felt they would have to fight off the government someday, so the compound was always well stocked with weapons and everyone drilled with them. Justin's dad even knew a bit about making improvised explosives and Justin picked up that skill as well. Justin's dad felt it was important that his kids know how to live off the land so he taught his sons how to survive in the wilderness, in all four seasons. The largest source of income for the compound was gun trafficking. Justin knew about it, but his father always kept him out of it. When Justin was 20 his mother became very ill and his father's paranoia prevented her from seeking treatment. She died of cancer after wasting away for two years and this experience drove Justin and his father apart. Justin left the compound a year later and moved to California, partly to go to a place as different as possible from where he grew up. Despite the rift between them, Justin's father gave him several guns as a parting gift, all legally purchased so Justin would not have any problems with the law. Justin has no real skills, so he has been working as a night watchman/security guard. (This is a good way for him to have his monster encounter.) Recently the compound was raided and all of the adults who were involved with the gun trade, including Justin's father and two older brothers, were arrested. Despite his distance from his father, Justin is desperate to make money for his family's legal defense. Justin has tried to put some of his childhood beliefs behind him, he still has a deep distrust of the government and law enforcement.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
That sounds great. I will see if I can get a character worked up today. I assume skills and stat costs listed in the Champions Complete PDF are the same as the 6th edition of the Hero system? If so, I can use that to get at least a basic character made.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That sounds great. I will see if I can get a character worked up today. I assume skills and stat costs listed in the Champions Complete PDF are the same as the 6th edition of the Hero system? If so, I can use that to get at least a basic character made.
Great! To be honest I don’t own Champions complete, just the two big volumes of Hero System, and some players have expressed some frustration with the smaller selection of options and the examples they seem to have in the “Complete “ books. That said it’s good enough to start for sure and I will be glad to help and make suggestions if it looks like there’s a good opportunity.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
Here is the character information for Justin. I still need to flesh out the history more, but this should hopefully be enough to get me started.

Stat Points
13 Str 3
13 Dex 6
15 Con 5
10 Int 0
10 Ego 0
10 Pre 0
4 DCV 5
4 DCV 5
3 OMCV 0
3 DMCV 0
3 SPD 10
3 PD 1
2 ED 0
10 Rec 6
30 End 2
13 Body 3
30 Stun 5
Total 51

Skills Roll
+4 with firearms 12
Demolitions 3 11
WF Handguns 1
WF Rifles/Long Guns 1
WF Blades 1
Survival 3 11
Weapon smith 3 11

Total

Complications
Hunted by a more powerful group, 15, infrequent, 0, mildly punish. -5. Justin is hunted by a gun running group that his father cheated. Justin doesn’t know much about them. They would rather get their money back than kill him.
Psych Complication, Distrust of the government and law enforcement, 10, common and moderate
Social Complication, Still seen as a member of the militia, 5, infrequent. This will usually only come up on background checks for jobs and when my family is in the news.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Love it! I will get you into the story thread, and get him entered into Hero Designer and generate a pdf character sheet ASAP!

Quote:
Here is the character information for Justin. I still need to flesh out the history more, but this should hopefully be enough to get me started.

Stat Points
13 Str 3
13 Dex 6
15 Con 5
10 Int 0
10 Ego 0
10 Pre 0
4 DCV 5
4 DCV 5
3 OMCV 0
3 DMCV 0
3 SPD 10
3 PD 1
2 ED 0
10 Rec 6
30 End 2
13 Body 3
30 Stun 5
Total 51

Skills Roll
+4 with firearms 12
Demolitions 3 11
WF Handguns 1
WF Rifles/Long Guns 1
WF Blades 1
Survival 3 11
Weapon smith 3 11

Total

Complications
Hunted by a more powerful group, 15, infrequent, 0, mildly punish. -5. Justin is hunted by a gun running group that his father cheated. Justin doesn’t know much about them. They would rather get their money back than kill him.
Psych Complication, Distrust of the government and law enforcement, 10, common and moderate
Social Complication, Still seen as a member of the militia, 5, infrequent. This will usually only come up on background checks for jobs and when my family is in the news.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
I think Justin would have several guns, as gifted to him by his father. I only have the weapon tables from fourth edition champions, but I figure it is a place to start and there probably aren't too many differences. If you have a problem with any of these, just let me know.

.45 automatic pistol, OCV +1 1d6+1K +1 Stunx shots 7
M-1 Garand OCV +1 Range Mod +2 2d6+1K +1 Stunx Shots 8
12 gauge full choke OCV 0 Range Mod +2 2 1/2d6K +1 Stun Mod shots 5

He would also have something like an AR-15, but this book only has stats for assault rifles

Justin would have a hunting/survival knife. It would be the kind with survival gear like a compass, saw blade, fishing line, matches, etc in the handle. I think the blade would be large enough for a dagger and the stats for that in this book are OCV +1 1d6-1

Let me know of that works and I will work on finishing his background. I should be able to get something to you tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Okay I can add guns easily to the character sheet using Hero Designer, but remember the environment; he’s in a mall in California. He might have a concealed carry permit as an armed guard, but the mall won’t let him carry it on the premises (of course he still carry it concealed, but it won’t be his biggest gun!)

Old 02-13-2020, 06:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
MBMcGregor MBMcGregor
Hello Im interested in joining the game. I have played Hero system before, both champions and fantasy Hero I like building a character and having the character develop through rp. I'm not a murder hobo

The concept to start out is Steve Chase. A down and out private detective. His father was a police officer that Was arrested and convicted for taking money from a crime scene (Framed , but cant prove it). Steve always wanted to be a police officer , but after his father was convicted , instead took up with the wrong crowd. He was never arrested. Growing up his father taught him many skills including how to handle fire arms. His natural leaning to help people led him to becoming a Private detective. Many years of watching cheating spouses and seeing how terrible people are has left him jaded. He has always been lucky , and started gambling, though lady luck has been cruel as of late , so with a large debt to a bookie, with rumors to having ties with the mob, Steve is looking for his great big score, to turn around his fading luck. He is also a huge conspiricy nut, believeing everything about conspiracies are true, It isnt paranoia if EVERYONE is truly out to get you.

So I was thinking skills like, security systems, Slight of hand, ks:Games of chance , Firearms:Handguns, photography, Investigation and such.

Last edited by MBMcGregor; 02-13-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome!

You are welcome to the game! As a continuously recruiting game, I am committed to accepting any players and my own personal sneaky agenda involves instilling or reviving interest in Hero System in everyone I can!

That said and just out of curiosity, are you at all familiar with the novels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMcGregor View Post
Hello Im interested in joining the game. I have played Hero system before, both champions and fantasy Hero I like building a character and having the character develop through rp. I'm not a murder hobo

The concept to start out is Steve Chase. A down and out private detective. His father was a police officer that Was arrested and convicted for taking money from a crime scene (Framed , but cant prove it). Steve always wanted to be a police officer , but after his father was convicted , instead took up with the wrong crowd. He was never arrested. Growing up his father taught him many skills including how to handle fire arms. His natural leaning to help people led him to becoming a Private detective. Many years of watching cheating spouses and seeing how terrible people are has left him jaded. He has always been lucky , and started gambling, though lady luck has been cruel as of late , so with a large debt to a bookie, with rumors to having ties with the mob, Steve is looking for his great big score, to turn around his fading luck. He is also a huge conspiricy nut, believeing everything about conspiracies are true, It isnt paranoia if EVERYONE is truly out to get you.

So I was thinking skills like, security systems, Slight of hand, ks:Games of chance , Firearms:Handguns, photography, Investigation and such.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
MBMcGregor MBMcGregor
Oh yes I have read all the novels, including the memoirs and the short stories, quite fond of Monster hunter international. Also Dresden files to be honest. Just finished Monster hunter international Guardian last week . Well Listened to them on audible . I also own Monster Hunter international hero systems rules, and the new rules put out by savage worlds just for the background and over view.

Last edited by MBMcGregor; 02-13-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
I didn't think Justin would have all of his guns with him, just that he owns them. He would definitely carry his pistol on the job, since he doesn't think he would be a good security guard without a gun.

I have read all of the novels and the memoirs as well and I loved them. I am reading another series by Correia now. I just ordered the savage world rules and intend to run it for my table top group when it's my turn to gm again.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
Here is the adjusted history for Justin.

Height: 6’3”
Weight: 245
Hair: Red

Justin grew up the youngest of three sons on a militia compound in Montana. The family had a deep distrust of law enforcement and the government. The compound was made up of several families and all of the kids were home schooled. Despite the beliefs of the adults the kids did receive a decent education. His father always felt they would have to fight off the government someday, so the compound was always well stocked with weapons and everyone drilled with them. Justin's dad even knew a bit about making improvised explosives and Justin picked up that skill as well. Justin's dad felt it was important that his kids know how to live off the land so he taught his sons how to survive in the wilderness, in all four seasons. Justin and his brothers were very competitive and they always found ways to turn learning into a competition and Justin always hated to lose. He always had to push himself harder because, even at 6’3” he was the smallest of his brothers. However, he enjoyed roughing it in the wilderness, especially because he found if he didn’t push himself to stay active he had a tendency to gain weight. The largest source of income for the compound was gun trafficking. Justin knew about it, but his father always kept him out of it, but his older brothers did get involved. When Justin was 20 his mother became very ill and his father's distrust of the outside world prevented her from seeking treatment. She died of cancer after wasting away for two years and this experience drove Justin and his father apart. Justin left the compound a year later and moved to California, partly to go to a place as different as possible from where he grew up. Despite the rift between them, Justin's father gave him several guns as a parting gift, all legally purchased so Justin would not have any problems with the law. Justin has no real skills, but he has been working at an indoor shooting range during the day and as a night watchman/security guard at night. Working so much has meant he has not had time to work out, so he has started gaining weight. Recently the compound was raided and all of the adults who were involved with the gun trade, including Justin's father and two older brothers, were arrested. Despite his distance from his father, Justin is desperate to make money for his family's legal defense. Justin has tried to put some of his childhood beliefs behind him, but he still has a deep distrust of the government and law enforcement.