twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 04:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1681
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
I can see this is going to be a tricky selection process for me, there's a lot of interesting applications coming in.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:08 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Garrettq
right-aligned image

Name: Akrus Thrunja, CHIEF of clan of Skull Cracker, butcher of goblins and guardian of goats!
Race: Half-orc
Class: Wizard
Background: Outlander

Trait: I am obsessed with growing my prestige and magical power.
Trait 2: I can be patient, but I must always be making progress towards my goal.
Bond: My tribe and my family all rely on me.
Ideal: Power, glory, wealth. Or simply to prove my strength and grow my name.
Flaw: Despite all my intelligence, my passion often overtakes me, violence ends up my solution to most conflict.

Appearance: While well over a head taller then the average man, Akru's bulk is nothing impressive, certainly not for an orcblood. He hides this disgrace with loose clothing, usually favoring a cloak that can shield his eyes from the sun. The exception to his simple wardrobe is the necklace of bleach white, petrified goblin teeth, its always on, and always displayed visibly. His skin carries the grey skin of his kind but his face clearly takes after his mother, between this and his meager tusks, he can almost pass for a human. That is if the room were dark enough. His hair is as short as he can keep it with a knife, and as unkempt as you'd expect as a result.

Personality: A kind person might call Akrus driven, but many call him obsessed. His thoughts always dwell on his next move, his next spell, his next payday. Frustration overtakes him quickly if he cannot see the next goalpost growing closer. He always introduces himself loudly, including all of his titles, few and unimpressive as they are. This can be off putting to others, but those who come to know him find him agreeable enough. Generally, he is civil but not friendly, mostly disregarding those around him, though he is fiercely loyal to those who find a place in his heart. He is an emotional man, quick to answer insult with violence, but quick to laugh as well. Despite his humble upbringing and feral background, he has a deep appreciation for worldly pleasures. A warm bath, a fine meal, a soft bed, many are shocked to find him quite in love with the comforts of civilization.

Backstory: Among the secret nooks of Westfels mountains their was a small a tribe of orc raiders. They hid in the caves and canyons, emerging to sack caravans loaded with the wealth of the mines before disappearing with their ill gained gems. One such raid brought back slaves as well, most notably a powerful magic user who had slew several of the tribes warriors in the attack. The tribe's chieftain himself took this woman as a wife, entranced by the thought of powerful, fire flinging sons. Thankfully for the poor woman, the sole son she bore had her brains and not his fathers, he was able to learn magic at a breathtaking pace. While this kept both of them alive, his father was still disappointed the power would consume so much time, how would his heir study proper fighting if all his time was spent on books?

So when the chieftain finally had a second son 9 years later, a full blooded orc, it was immediately decided that the younger would be his heir. Enraged Akrus fled in the bright light of day, vowing to return when he had the power to slay his father and take control of the tribe. He ran north for days, eventually passing out from exhaustion in some barn on the outskirts of civilization. The young widow living there wasn't a particularly soft heart, but she ended up taking him in all the same. She liked having a big scary orc around to deter any would be bandits and hurl fire at wolves. He lived four years with that woman, Cathra, shepherding her goats and studying his magic. He grew to care much for both her and her son, he grew to see them as family. It was at her suggestion he joined the guard. Spell components were becoming expensive, and more importantly he seemed to hit a ceiling in his study. One he hopes to shatter by wielding his magic against living foes.

RP Sample: "He's right..." Akrus said, the cracking of his voice overshadowing the annoyance he tried to speak with. The young orc blood stared down at the birds burned body, pausing longer then he should have. I will not cry, I will not cry, I will not cry. Despite the mental mantra his eyes began watering. This was what nearly a year of study had done. He had repeated the words until his voice was weak, made the motions until his hand cramped up, poured over notes until his head screamed and then kept going! He had created flame from thin air, slain his prey with nothing but the knowledge in his brain, and what did father say? 'Any orc your age could do just as much with a sling'. The tears threatened to spill out as he recalled the damn phrase once more.

"Akrus," his mother's voice was stern, displeased as she walked closer. He didn't look at her until she yanked his face up to make him. "Look at me," she commanded, it wasn't angry exactly, it was more the hard tone she used when emphasizing a particularly important part of the lesson. She ignored the tears spilling down his face, except for softening her own stare a little. "Your father might survive a strike from a dragon, he might even hurt one, but that's as strong as a man with an ax will ever be," her hand crept up his face, resting a palm against his cheek instead of gripping his jaw. "One day you'll kill dragons with a wave of your hand! You'll summon fire from the heavens that obliterates entire armies! Do you think your father, any warrior, could ever do that?" she whispered out excitedly. "You'll be a mightier leader then him one day. I promise," the boy sniffed, and found the strength to blink back his tears. She didn't fight him as he pulled his head away, turning back to the sky to seek another target.

Last edited by Garrettq; 01-28-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 266
hugehuman hugehuman hugehuman
Jephis
right-aligned image

Name: Jephis Chaudronnier
Race: Human Variant
Class: Fighter (Eldritch Knight, likely multiclassing into Wizard)
Background: Sage

Trait 1: I am determined to a fault, and take to my chosen path with almost religious zeal.
Trait 2: I admire and enjoy good competition, whether it is a contest of strength, or of the magical arts. I believe conflict is the proving ground for the best innovations.
Bond: I seek to improve the standing of my isolated clan, and believe I can do so with my unique application of magic.
Ideal: I fight to attain mastery over my chosen field.
Flaw: My past failures cling to me, and I have difficulty drawing positive lessons from them, only harsh reminders of my shortcomings.

Appearance: Jephis (Jeph to his friends)is a young man of lean build, visibly in his mid-twenties. He has dark skin, but his veins stand out within it, due to a rigorous combination of training and magical experimentation. He has emerald-colored eyes. He wears traditional garb, cut in places so as not to impede his movement, with a bound scroll (spellbook/arcane focus) on one hip, and a sword on the other.

Personality: Jephis is young, but strives to appear mature, as he has been taught to by his elders. He is polite as is required by common courtesy, but only as far as that. Those he is more comfortable around will see a more relaxed side of him. When things shift towards tension, however, he displays passion and drive, which has led to him getting into scraps, and magical duels, depending on the company.

Backstory: Jephis comes from a quiet clan of mages who live in the foothills between the Westfels and Der Weise See, a collective of scholars related by blood, and shared interest in the magic kept hidden in the high citadels of the Westfels. He studied under the elders of the clan, particularly the masters of Abjuration and Transmutation magic, who expected him to become their protégé. Instead, he began to foster his magical ability, and use it to enhance his natural ability in ways that blended the two schools. This was the more difficult path though, whether he had intended to face additional challenge or not.

Jephis ventured out upon completing his training, believing that he would need to seek the magical secrets in the cloisters of the Westfels to hone his arcane ability. He faced the trial set forth by the master of the citadel, but failed. Disappointed but not defeated, he decided to train himself in the magical arts while traveling the land as a journeyman, until he became powerful enough to complete the trial. Finding himself at the gates of Schlammbecken, he resolved that joining the Wache would be the best way to learn and help people at the same time.

RP Sample: Jephis closed his eyes, Casting Mage Armorinhaling and exhaling before opening them once more, feeling attuned to his surroundings, and ready to fight. He assumed a ready stance as the gong to signal the beginning of the trial sounded. He brandished his sword and rushed forward to attack the waiting master, who was to serve as his opponent. He had chosen a trial by combat, as he had learned to channel his magic into his physicality. The master, on the other hand, was a waifish elf. I have the advantage.

He closed the gap and slashed at the master, only for him to somehow miss his carefully aimed strike.(rolled a nat 1) In a flash, the master maneuvered away from his blade, and made an arcane gesture with his hand, causing a strange, numbing sensation to come over him. Unable to control his body, Jephis dropped his sword and collapsed to the ground. The monitor announced the end of the fight, and that was that. Feeling the sting of defeat, Jephis collected his things after the Hold Person wore off. He bowed. "I will return." His words echoed slightly as he left the citadel.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq
Alright my app is finally done, I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who can spare the time.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 993
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Always need someone to guard the goats ;-)

Last edited by penbeast0; 01-27-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I don't really give feedback whilst things are live usually, except to say thanks for applying. I will say this for everyone though, keep an eye on the guidelines. There are a lot of good applications and sticking to the paragraph limits gets you a full 10 out of 50 points when I score an application. Also, I thought I'd mention why the paragraph limits exist: I want to force you to get creative with your character description and roleplay. Making you stick to a shorter than usual format encourages creative ways to write and still convey the information about who your character is. Concise, but deep writing is often much more enjoyable to read, and easier to keep up the pace on than shallow and verbose writing. There won't be any paragraph limits in-game, but showcasing that sort of ability demonstrates skills that are invaluable in a descriptive format.

Last edited by Drager; 01-28-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 281
skrobbins skrobbins skrobbins
Summary
Berwyn
right-aligned image

Race: Dwarf
Class: Sorcerer
Primary languages:: Aldanisch, Klauisch
Background: Acolyte
Trait: I am intolerant of those who live in ways I deem unvirtuous.
Trait 2: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Bond: I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.
Ideal: Tradition: the ancient traditions must be upheld.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Appearance

Berwyn is a solid, mature dwarf, hoisting a tall lantern-staff and clad in wanderer’s garments: resilient leathers, solid boots, and clasps of finely tooled Umgor metals. Berwyn boasts a fine white beard which he’s fond of stroking and slightly-blemished spectacles which he’s fond of adjusting. Thoughtfully. He wields no weapon, but the lantern atop his staff wears metal shielding and looks like it might be solid enough to power a lighthouse. The staff itself, on close inspection, is wrought with oceanic details. Waves, birds, and boats bedeck its wood-and-metal surfaces.

Personality & Backstory
Personality

Berwyn has a generally affable and scholastic air. When confronted with the achievements of elven and human kingdoms, Berwyn is less patronizing than many other dwarves. He seems genuinely impressed by their achievements and, if anything, he grows visibly stressed at the present state of dwarves across Aldan, whom he considers ‘falling behind.’ When other dwarves are present, Berwyn will initially grow markedly shy, but after resetting his glasses and mustering his confidence will make his way around the room, determinedly starting conversations. With all non-dwarves, he’s quite relaxed and curious. If you ever catch him in sight of a body of water, he will stare longingly until interrupted.

RP Sample
Once upon a time in Drachen Klaue

Huldorr Korr’il had barely had time to wipe a drop of goblin blood from Mortemaré when he was accosted by young acolyte Berwyn. He wasn’t surprised. Berwyn followed at his heels like a puppy, asking when he’d be ready to be trained with a battleaxe. He also had a bad habit of unwittingly affecting the quality of one’s ale. Huldorr forgot himself and asked Berwyn to pass his mug, only to look inside and see the liquid magically transmuted to briney oceanwater. He sighed, and knelt down to address Berwyn eye-to-eye. Berwyn’s eyes sparkled behind thick glasses.

Listen, son. I admire your fervent bloodlust and your desire to bring the Drachen goblins to heel. But, ah...you know how the great Patinador ships of the past required great crews to move their ships across the seas? Well, every piece of that crew is important, from helmsman to trimmer. And it’s just the same here on land. If we’re ever to return to Patinador glories of the past, we’ll need a great big crew, full of…--[[“Axes?? Blurted Berwyn]]--...yes, axes, that’s true, but also…[[Huldorr looked back at the transmuted liquid]]...skills of other kinds. I’d like to bring you to Seer Gorlock, if you don’t mind, lad. We’ll have a discussion about how best you can grow the Patinador.”

Last edited by skrobbins; 01-28-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:49 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq
Oh yeah I forgot to ask, I wasn't sure how lines of dialogue would count in regards to paragraphs. Like is my RP sample technically 7 paragraphs long? Should I write something else or try to edit it?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq
Nevermind, I wrote another one just to be safe.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I've added a little info to the Languages table if it helps anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to ask, I wasn't sure how lines of dialogue would count in regards to paragraphs. Like is my RP sample technically 7 paragraphs long? Should I write something else or try to edit it?
It would have counted as 7, but your edit looks good!
Old 01-29-2020, 06:53 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 636
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Had the idea of a bugbear character, rogue type. Was wondering if that would be okay.

Found as an infant at the site of a skirmish between a bugbear raiding party and soldiers patrolling the area. His mother was part of the bugbear group and very pregnant. She was mortally wounded which caused her to spend her last few minutes on earth giving birth so a crying babe was found after the fighting stopped. Captain of the guard refused to let anyone kill an innocent child so took him in and raised him.

That is the basic concept I had, just want to check if this will work before I go too far with it.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yep that is acceptable.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Fiske
right-aligned image
Name: Fiske
Race: Bugbear
Class: Rogue
Background: Urban Bounty hunter

Trait: I always remain calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let emotions control me.
I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.

Bond: I owe a great debt to my father, Captain Ivar, for adopting me and raising me as his own.
I want to make him proud.

Ideal: I strive to prove I am more than a beast and to be a useful member of society. And to become famous of course.

Flaw: Sometimes I do not stop and think about the consequences of my actions before making them. This has caused problems in the past.

Appearance: Standing at 7 feet tall and weighing in at 284 pounds is imposing enough, but then add to it the fact that he is covered from head to toe in dark reddish brown fur with darker highlights, he has fangs and his eyes are solid black with red iris's. He wears brown pants and a black vest with no shirt. He normally wears no boots as his toes end in claws.

Personality: despite his appearance Friske is a very calm and easy going person. He is very task oriented. Given a job or task to do he goes after it with single mindedness, which can sometimes lead to problems as his method might not be appreciated by everyone. He understands the need to work with a group, but is very slow to fully trust people. He tends to always be watching and waiting for them to betray him in some way.

Backstory: Fiske has been referred to as a battle baby. His parents were part of a bugbear group reportedly raiding smaller villages. A patrol was sent out after them and a battle ensued when they found them. During the fight, his mother, who was very pregnant, was mortally injured which seemed to cause her to go into labor and spend her last minutes alive giving birth. Soldiers of the patrol heard him crying. The captain refused to let the others end the childs life. He took the child and raised it as one of his own. It took a while but slowly the others in the guard accepted Fiske and all started to help with his raising and education.
His natural talent for stealth was noticed early on and he was tutored in the roguish skills. He was trained in how to use the skills of thieves to help track them down. He was trained in the ways of the seedier underbelly of the city, in how they think and was introduced to some informants that helped the wache track down wanted individuals. And this all led to now where he is applying to become a member of the wache and help to make the city a safer place.

RP Sample: I was 10 years old and coming home from a training session. I entered the room and there sat Captain Ivar, or as I call him, dad. He had a frown on his face and had one eyebrow cocked up looking straight at me. I knew what was coming because I had kind of lost it during training. I trained with boys that were 5 or 6 years older because though younger than them I was their size. If I trained with the ones my age I could really hurt them. As it was, the older boys, or at least a couple of them, liked to call me names and taunt me during practice. Normally I keep my cool, but this time they hit a sore spot and I had lost it and sent two of them to the healer with broken bones. It had taken the master at arms pulling me off them to stop me. I was ashamed of my actions and scared by what I could do if I loose my temper. Now I had to face dad. I stood there with my eyes down waiting.

Finally he spoke. "You know we have talked about this before. You have to try harder than the others to control yourself. You are generally stronger and faster than them. Care to tell me what caused this? "

I took me a while but finally I met his eyes and responded. "It was nothing new. Same old things. I guess I just finally had enough. I just exploded. Screamed at them to shut up and then attacked. It was like I was outside watching it happen. "

He put his hand on my shoulders. "Remember. If you let a skilled opponent get to you and cause you to loose control then you are most likely going to loose the fight. You especially have to worry about this. Keep your cool and always act in a calm manner and prove you are more civil then they are."

I took his words to heart. I will never loose control again! I vowed and to this day I have kept that promise.

Last edited by Draidden; 01-31-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:46 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hopefully that covers all the requirements. If not let me know and I will fix it.

Also, I will not be able to use D&D Beyond to make the character sheet because it does not have bugbear as an option for races. And I am not buying any of the extras.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3541
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
If you join the campaign page on D&D Beyond it should be available to you through there.

Last edited by kanly; 01-30-2020 at 08:55 PM.