DnD5e Rogue Roulette (An Eberron Mini-Adventure) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1026
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Rogue Roulette (An Eberron Mini-Adventure)

Rogue Roulette (An Eberron Mini-Adventure)

Have you ever wondered what mayhem an ALL-ROGUE group might accomplish?
Are you new to the site, play-by-post, RPGs, Eberron, or D&D 5e?
Do you like magic, intrigue, and airships?
Then this game's for you!

Game Tag LineRogue Roulette, set in Sharn, is based in part on the published Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition mini-adventure, Forgotten Relics, from the Eberron: Rising From the Last War source book. By the end of this scaled-up adventure, your character will advance from Level 3 to Level 4 and be ready to continue on new quests throughout the city and surrounding areas.

THE BEGINNINGOn the continent of Khorvaire, in the world of Eberron, the famed City of Towers rose from the surrounding landscape, its mile-high skyscrapers eerie against the evening sky. The Dagger River, thick with constant traffic and hugged on either side by vast mountains, shat its port and pointed passengers inward toward the gates. Sharn, with nowhere to spread, could only encourage her ambition upward: higher, higher, with towers and spires packed and piled and placed so close that bridges and platforms and skycoaches could hardly spare the distance. The city was nothing but hubs and clusters forced into quarters, with each quarter judged by its upper, middle, and lower wards and managed by its districts.

Those in the lowest wards, the city's bowels, suffered perpetual night--so great were the buildings, so tall and close and thick were the walls and cores of each quarter. Their stars were merely the blinking lights of the districts above, and air was only fresh in an overactive imagination. Trapped on the inside, at the very dregs, the constant drip of water-and-worse was the soundtrack to misery as workers toiled in mystic forges, striking the magic that kept the city alive. If you were lucky enough to live in the middle wards, you may have met the sun; if you were luckier, still, to live up high, the very sky was in your reach. Ah, but don't fall, my friends. It's an awfully long way down.

Our story begins in Upper Central Plateau with the esteemed Sergeant of the Sharn Watch, Germaine Vilroy. Vilroy is a Brelish veteran of the Last War, and she's made a good living doubling her duties with the Boromar Clan crime syndicate. Unfortunately, a problem's come across her desk that requires a deft hand and dishonorable discretion. If she plays this wrong, the Watch will be plunged into the middle of a turf war between her Boromar Clan and the Daask, and that comfortable government job meant to secure a cushy retirement will crash and burn. Besides, Vilroy is actually quite skilled at her work and sees a reason to keep some semblance of order.

It's desperation and deliberation, then, that has her reaching out to the The Last Resort, a growing guild of rag-tag refugees in the Callestan District of Lower Dura. She's had success with the rogue-heavy group before, and she's confident a few of its members might be motivated to help her now. Vilroy pays well for subtlety and circumspection.

Job Board

Looking for coin? Capable of keeping quiet?
Need an official commission through unofficial means?

Sgt. G. Vilroy
Lyrander Tower Airship Dock
1 Zarantyr at 1900

Come Armed

THE CAMPAIGNApplication Deadline: 7 February 2020

Number of Players: 3-8 per group (flexible); 2 possible starting groups

Tone: High adventure, magic tech, fantasy, airships, firearms, lightning rails, and neo-noir intrigue

Required: One sense of humor. There will be pseudo-noir and much darker aspects in this game and setting, but the game, itself, should leave some room for glee. We can be serious without always being solemn or somber.

Levels: This mini-adventure will take you through Levels 3-4.

Elements: This is a straightforward adventure designed to introduce players to Sharn and some of its inner workings. Keep in mind that the Khorvaire continent just emerged from a century-long war and magic is part of the very fabric of Eberron, including the basis for its technology. Indeed, any technological advancements in Eberron are magic-based, not science-based. Also keep in mind that each character has come to the guild for their own reasons, but their experiences within The Last Resort have been enough to earn what loyalty each can spare. Betrayal is not treated kindly.

Post Rate: 1 post/week minimum. That said, I'm happy to keep pace if the game naturally runs quicker than the minimum.

THE DETAILSStarting Level: 3

Races Allowed: Player's Handbook (PHB) and Eberron: Rising From the Last War ONLY

Classes Allowed: ROGUES ONLY (for now)

Subclasses Allowed: Arcane Trickster (PHB), Assassin (PHB), Inquisitive (XGtE), Mastermind (SCAG/XGtE), Scout (XGtE), Swashbuckler (SCAG/XGtE), and Thief (PHB) ONLY

Starting Alignments: I prefer "Good" or "Neutral" alignments, although alignment is rather fluid in Eberron. I'm more concerned with your "lawful" or "chaotic" leanings than I am your passion for good and evil in the traditional sense. I might consider Lawful Evil if you have a strong reason/purpose/backstory.

Ability Scores & Starting Stats: Point Buy (27 points) or a Modified 4d6 Roll

Wealth & Starting Equipment: Standard by Class and Background; everyone also begins with one standard healing potion (2d4 + 2) and 140 gold to reflect natural level acquisitions.

Levelling: Milestones. Once the characters are chosen, you will roll for levelling stats and keep those higher than the average; any rolls lower than the average will be ignored in favor of the average.

Character Sheets: Not required for this application but required before the game begins

DM Style: I'm laid-back and here for fun--both mine and yours--and my DM style reflects that. I stick to many of the rules-as-written (RAW) in the D&D 5e Player's Handbook, but I also leave room for the Rule of Cool. I don't believe in letting dice or predetermined storylines ruin an excellent idea, and I tend to be flexible when players have their characters think outside the box. I want this to be a collaborative story that everyone contributes to, so I encourage strong backgrounds, interaction with the setting, and guild investment/involvement. RP between and among the characters will be highly encouraged.

Please, never hesitate to post your questions, concerns, or suggestions! I'm here to help.

For brief information regarding Eberron Lore (etc.), feel free to check out the forum!

Last edited by BinnFord; 02-05-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 730
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Hey BinnFord. Love all-Rogue groups. Did one like that for my home RPG group a few years back, using GURPS, and it was heaps of fun. Lot's of second storey work. Seriously considering putting in an application for this one if my application for the Taro Town game doesn't get through.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
That's awesome! We were actually kicking this idea around in my live group the other day, but we're too entrenched in our current campaign to start anything new. It sounded like so much fun, though--and I think Eberron/Sharn is a rogue playground--so I couldn't resist giving it a try.

Thanks so much for the interest and encouragement!
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 AM
Destroyer of Worlds

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3296
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Better the Devil you know...
right-aligned image
Name:Kambyses el Ashtaroth Abadonii
Race: Tiefling (Feral)
Subclass: Arcane Trickster
Birthplace/Country of Origin: Venomous Demesne
Mechanical Background: Waterdhavian Khorvairian Noble
Starting Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Physical Appearance:

To those that do not find his infernal appearance unsettling he might be called darkly handsome or you might say 'devilishly so'. He favours ostentatious clothing, fine embroidered silks and embossed leathers. His bearing and tone are regal, proper and measured though he has a dry wit and dark sense of humour often amusing himself by playing off the unease his appearance and noble station might cause especially amongst other nobles.

Personality Quirk(s): No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses.
I don't like to get my hands dirty, and I won't be caught dead in unsuitable accommodations.
Ideal(s): Cunning. Those who can see an advantage in the direst situation deserve respect.
Character Bonds:
Venomous Demesne. I am a noble of one of land's great bloodline.
Family. The stipend my father provides me keeps me in the life I am accustomed to.
Daask. My father's connections may provide support... My uncle's may be more antagonistic.
Flaw(s): I have an insatiable fascination with 'sin' both in its indulgence and its propagation.

Kambyses is a charmer. He is well-educated and eloquent in speech and manner (quite overly so in fact). To say he was evil would seem harsh, naughty would be more apt. He's polite and friendly (often overly so) though most of his interactions are good natured... at least those with which he works. It is his wicked whims that he opens himself to criticism. Gold is of little interest to him. 'Influence' is the currency he favours. A couple of nobles in his pocket is worth more than coin might buy. And it is almost impossible to blackmail the Tiefling in return for there is no vice or sin that he would be embarrassed of.

Character Backstory:

"Sharn. Beautiful isn't she. The city of towers. Jewel of Breland...how wonderfully quaint and provincial. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm quite enamored by the place. Layers upon layers of sin stretching up to the heavens. From the elites secreting their affairs within her high towers... to the murderous wretches spilling blood for a handful of copper within her shadowy bowels, it truly is a delightfully palatable tapestry of misdemeanor and impiety."

"You may ask, 'what might have brought such a creature as I to this place?'. Well, let us call it an 'involuntary sabbatical'. A simple duel, (primus sanguis in nature), one's victory over a 'hubristic opponent' and moreover a 'foul loser'... suffice to say I found the environ became somewhat unwelcoming at home... and thus took to the road, a road which brought me here."

"Your competition? The Boromar too... moral, House Tarkanan too needy, Daask... well that's complicated. Shall we simply say you are my 'last resort'.

Player info:
I'm not new to 5e or the site but am new and interested in exploring Eberron. I've been diving into the lore since the release of Rising from the Last War and hoping to find a game based in the world.

RP samples:
From a previous iteration of the character:
Post I
Post II

Last edited by Zinrokh; 02-13-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:18 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3853
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
Hi Wuuni BinnFord!

If the Taro Town stuff doesn't work out, I might have to send InfamousDasher this way, and might roll up something for fun to throw in with her.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theore View Post
Hi Wuuni BinnFord!

If the Taro Town stuff doesn't work out, I might have to send InfamousDasher this way, and might roll up something for fun to throw in with her.
Even if Taro Town doesn't work out for me, I doubt this would be a good fit for Friar Bertram Bellows, though perhaps his trans-dimensional black-sheep cousin "Trinket" could find a place....
Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1270
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Basics
left-aligned image

Larana Lun
Race: Wood-Elf
Sub-Class: Scout
Origin: Valenar
Background: Outlander

Alignment:
--Chaotic- Larana has a strong sense of personal freedom. As well as a less civilized outlook on life than most city dwellers.
--Good- Larana emulates her ancestors, Liara lun in particular. An Elf that led her people to freedom in the past and fell in battle to save hundreds.

Appearance:

Last edited by JohnStone; 01-25-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
@Theore: I would love to see what the two of you could come up with!

@triedtherest: Trinket is an excellent name.

@Ursinorum: And you can have a blast doing it!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 993
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Cirle

Name: Cirle "Sweet Daddy" Enrobinlem
left-aligned image
Race: Valenar Elf
Subclass: Swashbuckler
Birthplace/Country of Origin: Valenar Plains
Background: Far Traveler
Starting Alignment: Chaotic Good

Physical Appearance: Lithe and browned by the sun of the plains, Cirle's ash blonde hair stands out as almost white. He is always dressed to impress, preferring gold and red as his personal colors. His only flaw is his somewhat bowlegged walk, common among those who have spent their lives since childhood on horseback.

Personality Quirk: I never refuse a challenge; I am completely heedless of personal risk.
Ideal: I am far from home and everything is strange and, quite frankly, wonderful
Character Bonds: I am fascinated by the wonder and beauty of this wide world
Flaw: I have a weakness for the exotic and different peoples and races that I encounter

Backstory: Born into a warrior clan, Cirle stood out even among the Valenar for his taste for risk-taking and adventure. Never one to refuse a dare, before he reached puberty, he had dived off cliffs, stolen honey from beehives, and done a backflip from his pony at full gallop. Things just got worse when grew older and discovered sex. When he left the plains of the Valenar, he had 3 blood feuds, 2 illegitimate children, and a reputation that was no longer brave but tended more toward reckless or foolish. His clan was relieved to be able to send him on a traditional valor quest to the cities of Sharn, far far away. Hopefully, he will come back with his undoubted steel tempered by experience.

RP Sample: Cirle was bored, bored, bored. This tavern was just like the last 4, dark, mediocre beer, a couple of human girls alternating between surly and sullen. He got up and walked to the door for some rather dank air.

Well, well, well, what was this? It seems a dwarven matron had wandered into the wrong part of town and a gang of the local toughs were going to show her the error of her ways. She wasn't a raving beauty, being a little on the wrong side of 50, but she had wide hips and a stocky build you just couldn't find in Valenar. Be a hero, get a hero's reward. Cirle smiled. Besides, there were only 3 of them, plus a couple hiding back in the shadows. They were just plain asking for it.

Sliding the cover off Julianne, he whipped the blade a couple of times to loosen his shoulders. It also served to draw a bit of the attention off the dwarf as two of the visible thugs moved toward him while movement in the shadows indicated he had probably attracted the hidden backup as well. He stepped out and gave his wickedest smile:

"You sure you boys want to try this? I'm not a lovely maiden out for a stroll. "

Cirle could feel the familiar flow of adrenaline in his veins. You really weren't alive unless you were facing death.

Suddenly, a sharp point slid up against his back and a deep rasping voice said:

"This is guild business, bravo. Besides, you are too pretty to kill tonight."

Cirle glanced back, and up, as the most muscular half-orc he had ever seen was holding the spike part of a greataxe against him. The orc was dark and brutal looking, with a scarred face and two protruding tusks, one broken just below the tip.

Damn.

Speaking of muscles that you don't see in Valenar. The dwarf matron was looking a bit dumpy anyway. He smiled back at the orc and relaxed his shoulders.

"Looks like it was going to be a rough night after all, " Cirle purred.

Gods he hoped so. Anything else would be a disappointment.

Last edited by penbeast0; 01-28-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Trinket
NAME: "Trinket"
RACE: Halfling - Ghallanda
Subclass: Mastermind
Birthplace/Country of Origin: Sharn
Background: House Agent◾Ghallanda
Starting Alignment: True Neutral

Physical Appearance: Distinctly average in his natural state. His hair is dark brown and cut fairly short. Fairly slim considering his love of fine food, and disdain for physical activity. He dresses well, but not ostentatiously, in well made, comfortable and practical clothing. His Dragonmark is located on the upper part of his right arm, and normally keeps it covered up.
Personality Trait(s): I never let emotion complicate work
Ideal(s): Comfort: I want to ensure that me and mine enjoy the best things in life. (Any)
Character Bonds (including Dragonmarked House involvement): I don't care about the house as a whole, but I would do anything for my old mentor (taught me all I know about manipulation)
Flaw(s): I hate to admit it and will hate myself for it, but I'll run and preserve my own hide. If the going gets tough (then Trinket gets going)

Character Backstory:
Those who are new or just encountering the Guild (when not their target) sometimes ask: "What is this useless innkeepers son doing with The Last Resort? He doesn't have any obvious skills and he never seems to do anything?" Or words to that effect.
If those questioned are of a mind to answer, and to answer honestly, they would say something to the effect of: "It's because he's an innkeepers son with no obvious skills and he never seems to do anything."

House Ghallanda fields no armies or creates any great wonders of the age (his Granny's famous pot pie notwithstanding), they are incredibly good at providing a place of comfort and safety free from outside interference, perfect for, say, a criminal gang trying to lie low after a job! One small all-human gang found themselves in a Ghallanda establishment after a less than successful endeavour, drinking heavily and talking bitterly about what went wrong. Over the course of the evening, they found themselves pinpointing exactly what went on and exactly what to do in order to avoid making the same mistakes next time, though they were all a little confused as to how they sorted this out so quickly, and with none of them taking credit for coming up with the new ideas. All of them, that is except for their leader, who had only drunk water that evening, so was able to see exactly who was making these suggestions. Their young drinks server! He had surreptitiously been slipping titbits into the conversation, steering them towards conclusions they never would have come to. So when the rest of his men called it a night, he invited the young Ghallandan to have a drink and a chat...!
A few days later, the gang met up for their next heist, and were rather surprised when their leader turns up with the halfling server in toe.
"What's with the 'fling Boss?" asked his second in command.
Their leader shrugged."Our last job went sideways, wouldn't yer say?" The gang members nodded.
"We need to get rid of our bad luck and everyone knows that Halflings are lucky!" The gang weren't sure about this, but nobody felt strongly enough either way to argue the point.
While the Halfling never actually seemed to do anything useful, everything seemed to go better with him there and he was invited back for their next job. And then the job after that. Before long he was acting as an information source between his House and the gang, and was considered a full member of both. They wanted to give him a gang-name, but there was already a "Lucky" in a rival gang, so that was out! He was small, not of obvious worth, and they considered him to be their personal good luck charm, so they named him "Trinket" and the name stuck.
Trinket loved the freedom his life with the gang gave him, while keeping the benefits of being part of House Ghallanda, which is why he was devastated when a purge by the authorities put them out of business. They would have arrested him too, but Ghallanda got wind of the raid and asked him to report in just before it went down.
Free of prison but still chafing at the lack of freedom, he was contacted by The Last Resort who had heard of him, and were looking for a "Lucky Trinket" of their own....
Role in the Last Resort: Trinkets duties back with his House often had him working in the kitchens under the orders of a senior Ghallanda member, but here in the Guildhall.....little has changed! Kyla d'Ghallanda runs the Guildhall kitchen with an iron fist, and as a fellow Ghallandan, Trinket is the only person that Kyla allows to assist with her cooking! It took Trinket a while to realise that this was a high honour! He also thinks she knows a lot more than she lets on, and she lets on...remarkably little! He also suspects that she had something to do with his recruitment, but as yet, he has not voiced his suspicion.

Last edited by triedtherest; 02-01-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3853
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
Alright, we decided we can't wait to make people.

You got a lemur shifter gal and her robot pal being worked on as we speak!

Mastermind/Inquisitor (TBD) and Arcane Trickster respectively.

Last edited by Theore; 01-26-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1354
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
Application WIPNAME: Mugbep Mosstoes
Race: Gnome
left-aligned image

Alignment: Chaotic good
Background: Guild Artisan

As there are many excellent applications, and due to personal time constraints with other games, I'm going to bow out. Good luck to all!

Last edited by Grimbreath; 02-05-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:36 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3
UncleDobbin
Name: Crunchy Bob
Race: Tortle
Birthplace/Country of Origin: The Great Swamp
Background: Urchin
Starting Alignment: NG

Physical Appearance (including any defining feature or Dragonmark):

400 pounds of fun. His shell is predominantly black with streaks of green throughout and yellow around the edges. His skin is primarily green with stripes of yellow and red around his face.

Personality: I ask a lot of questions. I bluntly say what other people are hinting at or hiding.
Ideal(s): I help the people who help me ó thatís what keeps us alive.
Character Bonds: I owe my survival to another urchin who taught me to live on the streets.
Flaw(s): Itís not stealing if I need it more than someone else.

Crunchy Bob started his wandering life earlier than expected and completely by accident. He was suddenly removed from his childhood home in the swamp by a hungry eagle, Upon finding his shell impenetrable, the bird dropped him unceremoniously in Sharn. Crunchy Bob grew up on the streets with a group of urchins, the leader of which originally tried to keep him as a pet -- until he realized the turtle could talk. Crunchy Bob showed a surprising curiosity, teaching himself to read, as well as speak common. He graduated from the streets to the guild where he spent his time in the library and where he met the goblin wizard Skink who taught him about magic.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 PM
In partial shambles.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9460
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
How new is "new"? This sounds like a really fun idea, and think it would be a blast, but I'm pretty familiar with 5e at this point and don't want to ruin the spirit of the campaign.

tl;dr - can I come out and play??
Old 01-26-2020, 10:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2169
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Not new to site, fairly new to 5E and don't really know Eberron is that ok