DnD5e Rogue Roulette (An Eberron Mini-Adventure) - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1026
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
OK so do you want us to put the effort into creating character sheets now or wait?
I don't want character sheets for the application. Character sheets and stats will be completed within the group.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4441
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2417
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
This sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun! I've been playing quite a few campaigns on these forums, mostly DnD 5e, however I know aside from what I quickly googled so I had enough to go on for an applicationalmost nothing about Eberron- meaning this looks like a great opportunity to get acquainted with the setting! I went ahead and prepared a rough (and I mean rough) draft of my application- I'll be sure to update and improve on it before the 7th!

If there is anything I'm missing, or if you'd like me to change or leave out any specific details, please let me know! I'm more than happy to change anything that needs changing .

Kellen Lorinoa Murnig
right-aligned image

Part one: Character details
Name: Kellen Lorinoa Murnig
Race: Forest Gnome
Subclass: Arcane Trickster
Birthplace/ Country of Origin: Korranberg, Zilargo
Mechanical background: Sage
Starting alignment: Chaotic Good

Physical description
With dark blond, perpetually unkempt hair, an unevenly shaved ringbeard and clothes which are stately, but at least three years out of fashion, the slightly hunched Kellen leaves the impression of one who grew up wealthy, and then lost all interest in presenting himself as a member of the upper class. His ice blue eyes sparkle with a passion to learn everything there is to know, yet nervous, skittish mannerisms prove Kellen would rather observe the world around him than actively take part in it. Nonetheless, the gnome is in the habit of wearing an inviting smile. On the back of his right hand, he bears a tattoo of a simple, stylized black dragon. On his left hand he has an identical tattoo, but mirrored, and it is blue rather than black.

Part two: Character traits
- Personality trait: I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situations- my inquisitive nature makes me question people beyond what would be considered appropriate, especially considering that I am slow to offer any information about myself. After all, I already know about myself, so there's little point in talking about me, is there?
- Ideal: Knowledge is what seperates the downtrodden from the elite. Anyone can rise on the social ladder, as long as they have the education they need to do so. Making knowledge publically available is, therefore, the best way to help the people improve their standard of life.
- Bond: There is a small library on the Lower Dura, little more than a quaint bookshop. I try and make donations to this library, because I feel that it could help the poor and downtrodden people of this district to educate themselves. As for the Dragonmarked, I... Feel they have an unfair advantage on us "unmarked" people, and we shouldn't worship them like we do just because they have some squiggly lines on their faces.
- Flaw: My mind gets ahead of my mouth- I often speak my thoughts aloud, forgetting who is around to hear them.

Kellen's heart is in the right place- sadly, his mouth almost never is. Having grown up as an only child, with hardly any friends other than his books, the forest gnome never learned to navigate the web of lies and intrigue that is Zilargon society. When he reached adulthood, that lack of experience turned against him, pushing him further into isolation. Lacking the skills to navigate the politics of the ambitious and the successful, Kellen instead turned to the common people, who proved far less socially complicated but, sadly, also far less erudite than himself. Seeing this as an unfair advantage of those with the means to study, Kellen champions the cause of making education and knowledge more widely available. This has left him in opposition to the guilds, the elite and, most noteably, the Dragonmarked, whom he resents for holding their positions of power through a quirk of birth, rather than by merit.

During his studies, Kellen became absolutely fascinated with the ancient history of the world, in particular the age of dragons and giants. He has long harboured a dream of one day visiting Xen'Drik, to see the ancient ruins of the giant empire in person, but sadly lacks the funds required for such a grand expedition. In pursuit of those funds, Kellen wound up in Sharn, and immediately took a liking to the city's lower levels, where shadows and secrecy provided a measure of anonymity for him to hide behind. Indeed, learning about the many secrets of the city have become a passion of his rivaling his old dream of exploring the lands of giants and dragons... And one more attainable by far.

Part three: Character backstory
Born 53 years ago in the city of Korranberg, Kellen has, like most of Zilargo's people, remained blessedly unaffected by the Last War. Instead, his earliest tragedy was caused by continued raids from Darguun- when he was only ten, his mother was taken by goblin slavers from that nation, never to be seen again. As a result, his father, Prelik, became overly protective of him, keeping his only son as close to home as he could. The young boy, for his part, was traumatized by the experience and made no objections to never having to leave the house, fearful of being taken as well if he ventured outside. It was a fear which would stay with Kellen for years to come; even now, he feels far more at home in the city than out in the open fields, and none too comfortable around goblins.

To make up for Kellen's rather lonely upbringing, Prelik bought his son books, giving Kellen a way to explore the world through the words of those who had seen it first-hand. Kellen loved the books, especially any telling of old myths and legends about dragons, giants and more. As Kellen grew older, he developed an interest in the actual history behind those stories. Finally, when the young gnome reached adulthood, he was accepted to study at the Korranberg library.

The wealth of knowledge found at the library only further fueled Kellen's passions. The history of the world, in particular its creation and the subsequent age of dragons and giants were a mystery he was dead set on solving, studying everything he could about those civilizations. As the years passed he graduated from the library and immediately found a job at that institution, researching and cataloguing ancient texts to write papers on a large number of varied topics. His dream, however, was to one day visit Xen'Drik, and study the ruins of the giants with his own eyes.

In time, this dream became an obsession. Lacking the funds to organize an expedition, the young gnome took to more clandestine means to amass wealth. He had never been good at politics and manipulation, meaning the more legal paths to wealth were often closed to him. But navigating the loopholes in the laws, conducting shady deals by relying on his wits rather than his ability to sway the public... That was something Kellen proved to have a knack for. One fateful evening at his favorite pub, Kellen met a dwarven smuggler by the name of Ongrumi Nermun. The gnome and dwarf took an immediate liking to one another- and after a tankard of cheap ale or thirteen, the two hatched a plan. The dwarf had goods he needed to deliver to a buyer in the city, but realized that a dwarf merchant would catch far more attention than a gnome. So, he and Kellen made a deal- the gnome would meet the dwarf outside of the city's walls, take the illicit goods off his hands, deliver them to Ongrumi's contacts, then bring him his share of the gold.

This arrangement worked, for a time, until the Trust caught wind of Kellen's illicit dealings. Suddenly no place in Zilargo was safe for the gnome. Had it not been for Ongrumi, Kellen would no doubt have spent the next few years in a very small cell. Instead, the dwarf smuggled his friend out of the city, and brought him to Sharn. Kellen has lived there ever since, feeling right at home in the lower levels of society, his enthusiasm only tempered by the guilt he feels over abandoning his father. But at least, he was safe from the Trust. Here, he could hide in a web of lies and secrecy, unfettered by the complicated politics of his homeland. Over time, Kellen's skills as a smuggler got him noticed by a tiefling who went by the name Coin, a recruiter for the Last Resort. With them, he learned to hone his skills as a thief and procurer of rare goods, in return for his services. On one such job, Kellen moved a number of arcane scrolls for his employer- and accidentally activated one scroll after reading it. Fortunately the damage was contained, and the cost of the lost scroll paid back without too much fuss. After all, the contractor- a half-elf merchant named Darrik, who sold his excess stock on Sharn's black market- was far too pleased with having Kellen as his customer to be overly worried about a single lost scroll. The event proved Kellen had a knack for magic, and after the first few bouts of panic had passed, the gnome approached his newfound talent with a scholar's interest. Nonetheless he remained wary of his new talents, having heard the storyies of what the irresponsible use of magic had cost the people of Cyre.

The plight of Callesta's less fortunate greatly affected Kellen, however. He felt a small measure of guilt at the fact that they wallowed in poverty while he had coin to spare, for no other reason than him stumbling into the right contacts. To ease his conscience, the gnome spent part of his income on charity works. In particular, he donated to a small, upcoming library run by the halfling Lyrra Highhill, who certainly appreciated the gold- even if she was somewhat less than happy with the way Kellen came by his wealth. This new lifestyle suited the gnome more and more, and before long, his dreams of Xen'Drik turned into just that- a young man's dream, fanciful and naive. While his interest in those distant lands and times never truly faded, Kellen's attention turned to a mystery far closer at hand, yet possibly even more intangible- the secrets of Sharn, and how he could leverage them to improve life for the people of Lower Dura.

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 01-31-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added some extra info
Old 01-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3938
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
@BinnFord: I'm so sorry if I missed it, but do we know the current year for application purposes?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3928
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Cadge is looking pretty complete, might fine tune his backstory a bit but I'm happy with it (for now).
Old 01-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theore View Post
@BinnFord: I'm so sorry if I missed it, but do we know the current year for application purposes?
Great question! This campaign will begin on 1 Zarantyr 998 YK.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4775
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
OOCEdited Fri Feb 7 to replace references to Daask with a generic gang.

Player Details
I'm not new to PbP, PRGCrossing (RPGX), or 5e. I retired at the end of 2016, and one of my retirement hobbies is Role Playing. I took it up both on RPGX and face-to-face.

A slow start and new players do not phase me. I am happy to help out new players. I am new to Eberron and fascinated by the World/Campaign.

PART ONE: Character Details
Name: Khat formerly Jessica Ferguson
Race: Shifter (Swiftstride)
Subclass: Assassin
Birthplace/Country of Origin: Sharn/Breland
Mechanical Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
Starting Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Physical Appearance (including any defining feature or Dragonmark):
right-aligned image

Khat has seen firsthand the discrimination that is heaped on non-human races and particularly shifters. As well, many people in Sharn would like to kill her - former bounties as well as their friends, lovers, and family. Consequently, Khat prefers a hooded tunic and gloves that disguise her. Khat's preferred dress is a tight cut, but loose-fitting pants and shirt under her leather armor. Her feet are clad in loose-fitting cloth slippers - so that she can quickly doff them to extend her claws for climbing.

Khat's facial features have a bestial cast, with large cat-like eyes, flat nose, and pointed ears. Kat's face is covered in fur - white fur with black stripes. One would assume that the hair covers her entire body, but no one has been brave enough to check, or at least lived long enough to report back. Khat's short stature (5ft 2 in) and slender build (125 pounds) are embued with feline grace.

PART TWO: Character Traits
Personality Quirk(s): I am cold and distant, driven by predatory instincts. The only person I loved died, and so I am slow to form attachments.
Ideal(s): life is the eternal hunt - you can be predator or prey and sometimes both.
Character Bonds (including Dragonmarked House involvement):The Last Resort, who took me in when I was without family or friends, and helped me avenge the death of my mentor.
Flaw(s):I have a compulsion to hunt down people and creatures.falls o

Khat is an instinctive predator wrapped inside a lonely little girl hidden inside a stone-cold killer. When Khat/Jessica hit puberty, her shifter instincts arose along with her physical ability. It is still a struggle for her to have to balance her intellect with her instincts. In the midst of this, the only family she had known turned on her and cast her out. Her single source of affection was Mouser, who is now dead. Khat sees the world as a place where the strong prey on the weak. As a result, she projects an aura of intimidation and keeps people at arm's length.

PART THREE: Character Backstory
Khat idly looked down at her palm from the razor-sharp claws on her fingers, the padded palm. Three prominent lines ran across her palm. A palm reader once told her that the lines represented significant shifts in her life. Khat thought, "I've been through two. I don't know that I really want a third."

Khat was born Jessica Ferguson. Sam Ferguson was a Sergeant in the Breland army, at least before he lost a leg. Wendy Ferguson was a waitress at a local Tavern. The two met and married in a whirlwind courtship when Sam was on leave. Wendy quickly got pregnant with their first. Between Sam's military pay and Wend waitressing part-time, they got by. However, when Charlie, their fourth, was born, and Sam lost his leg and had to get by on a small pension, things got tough.

Jessica was an unexpected and challenging addition to the family. Money and food were tight. Sam and Wendy did a few things, of which they were not proud to keep the family afloat. Jessica was a source of resentment from her birth. Jessica seemed to sense the bitterness and was a wild child from as soon as she could walk. Jessica was always prowling and climbing and quickly fell in with a gang of half-wild urchins.

However, things came to a head before Jessica's tenth birthday. Jessica hit puberty and her courses, years before a human child. Still worse, she began to sprout white and black hair all over her body. A bitter argument broke out between Sam and Wendy about her possible parentage. As well, Jessica had a compulsion to hunt and kill small animals. Wendy broke down crying, the first time Jessica brought a rat she had caught home for them to eat.

Where some see tragedy, others see opportunity. Mouser came along and offered apprentice price to Sam and Wendy for being able to take Jessica as an apprentice. Mouser was a curious man. He had left the City Watch, and the stories varied between being fired, going a step ahead of an investigation, to quitting for more lucrative work. In any event, Mouser now worked as a bounty hunter apprehending criminals in return for a bounty. Mouser was currently charged with cleaning up the various gangs of urchin pickpockets and thieves. Mouser had found out the hard way that the urchins could outrun and out climb him as well as squirm into spaces too small for him to follow.

At first, Mouser used Khat, as he began calling her, like a terrier, sending her into holes to small for him to follow. However, he was surprised and impressed by her natural grace and her ferocity in the hunt. Mouser quickly began training the young woman and giving her more freedom as to hunting the urchins. Khat found that she was frequently overmatched by her prey, either in numbers and or in combat skills. Khat took striking from ambush. Sometimes, she would close in for the kill, other times, she was scramble away using her superior speed in her bestial form.

As Khat grew both physically and in skill, she and Mouser shifted from hunting urchins to more dangerous and rewarding prey. In the end, the pair reached a bit too far. Mouser accepted a bounty on a local gang that was busting up taverns for protection money in Middle Dura because the group burned out Mouser's favorite bar. Mouser and Khat hunted down two of the cell, who died without revealing who or where their partners were.

The problem with hunting dangerous prey is that sometimes the hunter becomes the hunted. Mouser was a creature of habit and went back to his favorite bar, while Khat was out hunting for the rest of the gang. Unfortunately, the remainder of the gang showed up in Mouser's favorite bar. There was quite a fight, leaving several patrons and two more of the gang dead. However, Mouser was one of the casualties. It was unclear whether Mouser was really a random casualty or the target of the attack. Regardless, Khat swore revenge. Mouser was the one who had taken her in when her family had cast her aside. The old man had loved her, or so she thought, in his own way.

To Sharn and the City Watch, what transpired next was merely another in the endless fights between various factions in Sharn. For Khat, it was an epic quest for vengeance. Khat slowly tracked down the various members of the gang, both original and newly recruited. After the first few died, the remaining members of the gang began hunting Khat. What followed next was an Epic hunt with the hunter becoming the hunted on both sides. In one instance, Khat left a clue leading to her whereabouts, only to ambush the several members of the gang as they came for her. In another, the gang left clues for Khat to lure her into an ambush. Fortunately, Khat was able to outrun the pursuit.

In the end, it was the Last Resort who put their finger on the scale. It took a bit of time and money, but the Last Resort found the safe house being used by what was left of the gang. A liberal amount of oil and a bit of flame flushed them out, and Khat attacked the leaders from ambush. The remaining gang members fell into the tender mercies of the City Watch.

As far as Khat is concerned, the hunt is over. She has avenged Mouser. Mouser was the true bounty hunter of the duo. With him dead, Khat is left to decide what she will do with the rest of her life.

Last edited by purplerook; 02-13-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typos, formatting.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
If it's helpful to anyone, I posted some brief information about Eberron & Khorvaire (etc.). I'll put something up about Sharn and The Last Resort, soon, too, for anyone who might be interested! You're under no obligation to dig deep for this application, but I thought some lore might help.

Last edited by BinnFord; 01-28-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Trinket is ready to go...hopefully!
Old 01-29-2020, 06:00 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
Awesome! I'll try to offer some feedback on the completed applications later today (if folks are interested).
Old 01-29-2020, 06:07 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3938
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
I would absolutely love that actually, I'm just about done with everything other than any little twists InfamousDasher gives me to work in, but the meat and potatoes are definitely there and ready for you to analyze.

Last edited by Theore; 01-29-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:14 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Ethelden Ethelden
I'm not new to Eberron per say, but I've never played more than 2 sessions there as all the games I've joined have folded. I love the setting and have read about it a lot. I'm sort of new to the site, I guess. I'm mostly just in continuous recruitment games. I just got into one other "proper" game.

Part 1
right-aligned image

Name: Daredaka Torrn
Race: Orc
Subclass: Inquisitive
Birthplace/Country of Origin: Shadow Marches
Mechanical Background: House Agent (Tharashk)
Starting Alignment: Lawful Good

Physical Appearance: Standing a little under six feet tall and weighing less than fifteen stone, Daredaka is pretty small for an orc. HE has long, black hair, which he is more proud of than he would care to admit and wears travelling leathers that are in surprisingly good repair, considering his profession. The only splash of colour on his person, other than his grey-green skin is the red sash he wears around his waist. Daredaka typically moves slowly and lazily, not seeming to pay that much attention to anything. He often gives the impression he is daydreaming or thinking of something else.

PART TWO
Personality Quirk(s):I represent my house and take pride in my looks. I never forget an insult against me or my house.
Ideal(s): My house serves a vital function, and its prosperity will help everyone. I uphold traditions of my house and bring honour to my family.
Character Bonds: Someone I love was killed by a rival faction within my house, and I will have revenge. My house is my family. I would do anything for it.
Flaw(s): I’m obsessed with conspiracy theories and worried about secret societies and hidden demons.

Daredaka is loyal to the Valshar'ak Seal, the Gatekeeper's, Clan Torrn and House Tharashk in that order. He is calm, methodical and focussed on his work, but carefully sculpts an air of being a lazy dilettante. Daredaka is always on alert for treachery, particularly links to the cults of the Dragon Below. He never fully trusts anyone, although he can work with others and at least appear to trust them. Daredaka sees any remarks of a negative character made towards House Tharashk, Clan Torrn or the Gatekeepers as indications that the person is likely a cultist of the Dragon Below. He will not react violently, or really at all, but will add them to his ever growing list of suspects that he is investigating. Daredaka has so far had a good time with the Last Resort, access to their resources and their job board has allowed him to hunt down some of the suspects on his list and exonerate or eliminate them. He is happy to work with the organisation as long as the relationship continues to benefit his duties to his house. Currently that is likely to be for a long time as he is utterly convinced that a cultist of the Dragon Below has infiltrated the ranks of the Last Resort and he is determined to do a job with every member until he finds the culprit.

PART THREE Daredaka was born into House Tharashk, but more than that he was born into Clan Torrn. His father, or the man he calls his father, is a human and his mother is an Orc. His biological father died when he was young, assassinated by the agents of the Dragon Below. These facts have shaped his life and his personality. At twenty one he has been an inquisitive for seven years, following from an apprenticeship that started when he reached his majority at the age of twelve.

Daradeka has two half brothers, both with the mark of finding that work, as he does, as inquisitives for the Gatekeepers. Being younger than Daradeka and their human blood making them mature more slowly the oldest has only been working for a year and the youngest barely a few months. Daradeka tries to keep them from going after anything too big too soon, as he worries that they will get themselves in over their young heads.

Daredaka has spent his career so far searching for his father's killer. His investigations led him first to Clan Aashta and from there to their agents. Tracking one of those villains is what brought Daredaka to Sharn. Although the Orc Inquisitve cannot say for sure who his enemy is he can feel himself getting closer. Not in the way of his brothers and their Mark, but rather with the honed instincts of a practised investigator.

Before leaving the Shadow Marches Daredaka was tasked with hunting and bringing to justice a young orc who had fallen in with the Cult of the Dragon Below. The man was cunning and knew he was being followed. At first he fled to the wilderness, but it wasn't long before he headed back to a settlement and tried to hide himself with a new name and stories of his past. It was on a warm afternoon outside a tavern when Daredaka sat down next to him on a bench outside a tavern.

The inquisitve stretched out his legs and tapped his pipe out, thumbing through his pouch looking for more tobacco. Coming up dry he turned to the man next to him on the bench and asked casually "Couldn't lend a fellow a smoke, could you?" the man, no more than sixteen, but fully grown as any orc would be at that age grunted something in response then pulled out a small wad of homegrown tobacco. "Thank you kindly." said Daredaka, methodically packing the herb into the end of his pipe whilst watching a small cloud scud by. "Marches are almost pretty on a day like this, don't you think." he asks, blowing a smoke ring into the air that floats gently upwards.

The young orc thought about the question for longer than most would and then answered "I don't know if I've ever seen anything truly pretty." he says, his voice rough "Life's been one long disaster, with mistake piling on failure, you know?" relaxing back on the bench he looks out, letting his eyes roam across the town and the sky. "This is the first place I've ever felt at home." looking at Daradeka for the first time he adds "Say, I've not seen you before, but you sound like a local. Nice to meet you." the inquisitive just smiles back and shrugs "You meet a lot of people in my line of work." he says "What brings you to our little town? I can tell you're new around here." he asks.

"Just somewhere safe. There's a lot of people don't like me where I'm from. Got friends here though." the young man says with a shrug "Hoping I can find some work here, lay low, keep out of trouble you know? Seems a good place for a fresh start." the inquisitive nods his head knowingly "Rough being far from home." he says "Your friends anyone I might know?" the younger Orc shrugged "Maybe. You know any of the hunters round here?" Daredaka laughed at the question "One or two, you a hunter, boy?" he turned his head, looking at the man directly for the first time.

"Could be." says the young orc, becoming a little more wary all of a sudden as the line of questions got personal "What did you say you do again, friend?." he asked. Daredaka's smile widened considerably "Inquisitive, House Torrn." he answered moving suddenly with incredible speed and pinning the man to the ground "And you aren't getting your second chance."

Last edited by Ethelden; 02-06-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks! I actually have a table under spoiler in the first post, but it never hurts to have another! I appreciate the effort.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4441
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I missed that I will remove my post no point duplicating.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
You didn't have to! Hard work is hard work. I appreciated it, and I'm sure your fellow gamers did, too.