Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1085
mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous
Nothing Sacred - V:tR 2e

Game NameNothing Sacred - V:tR 2e
Game SystemWorld of Darkness
ThemeSurvival
FlavourThink of Lost Boys, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for
Plot Summary

"Just over the horizon a great machine of death is roaring and rearing
We can hear it always. Earthquake, starvation, the ever-renewing sun of corpse-flesh."

– Hayden Carruth, "The Curtain"

The shore was crowded with umbrellas and bodies. People streamed onto the boardwalk, mouths full of fries and funnel cake. It was the height of the 1983 summer season at Peck's Beach, and families from all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania have come to celebrate Independence Day. You were there. Your family watched the parade, ate the hamburgers, and did a tour of the amusement park. The daylight faded and the celebrants—locals and tourists alike—flocked to the beach for the grand finale. You died beneath the fireworks that exploded intense color over the Atlantic Ocean.You are now one of the few Kindred in this small vacation town. You are young and undead, and this town is yours for the taking. But when the Others come in and crash the party, how far will you go to protect what belongs to you? And when autumn comes and the tourists leave town, what will you do to survive?

In Nothing Sacred you will play a young vampire. Young not only in terms of your time spent among the undead, but also in your time spent with humanity. You are somewhere between 17-22 years old, and you were embraced just this summer. Ideally you will be from Peck's Beach, but that is not a requirement. Your sire did not stay, or did not survive. Maybe one PC sired another. The point is, there is no structured Kindred society within Peck's Beach. No one to tell you what to do. No one to manipulate you. No one to protect you.

Our story will be told in three parts; Summer, Autumn, and Winter. The Masquerade will surely be taxed as winter approaches, and desperation will soar as the food supply plummets. And as our story comes to an end, whose blood will be on your hands?
MechanicsPick a clan, but skip the covenant. Books in play are: Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition, Chronicles of Darkness, Half-Damned (if your looking for something other than a vampire to play), and Hurt Locker (I use most of the updated weapon mechanics from this book)
Additional InfoI'm rusty AF, so I'm looking for a small group. 2-3 players. Posting will be on the relaxed side as I have young kids and a lot of other responsibilities. If there is anything that I missed in this advert, let me know and I'll get this post updated ASAP.
Thank you for reading!

PlayerCharacterClan
taleteller50Solar 'Sol' SweetbudMekhet
mjbJoshua "JT" ThomsonGangrel
GathSophia Dawson 

Last edited by mofous; 02-03-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:01 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5939
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
-
right-aligned image
Name: Solar 'Sol' Sweetbud
Clan: Mekhet

Background
Conceived during Woodstock, Sol was very much the product of the 60's and 70's Hippy movement. His mother, originally named Susan Baker but eventually renaming herself Susan Sweetbud, was a medical student on the west coast who fell into the Hippy counter culture. Upon returning home after her adventures it soon became apparent that she had returned with an additional surprise; a small 'bun' cooking in her 'oven'. Between how Susan's family felt about their daughter becoming a hippy, dropping out of medical school, and becoming pregnant with a child from an unknown man; soon the Bakers cut all ties with Susan.

With no job, family support, or money Susan did what she could to survive and ensure the birth of her 'Sun Child', Sol. Luckily Susan still found help from those who were happy to have the woman with them given she was one of the few people who knew how and was willing to make LSD. Of course the people supplying her and her son a place to stay weren't really the most altruistic of individuals, more interested in the money they could make from the stuff Susan made rather then believers of peace and free love. This eventually came to a boil when the police raided Susan's Lab and arrested her 'co-workers'.

Thankfully, one of the men there had taken a liking to Susan and had been alerted to the crack down, escaping with Susan and Sol, traveling east to escape arrest. Eventually settling in Tennessee Susan, her new boyfriend, and Sol, with no more lab for Susan to use her knowledge, started a farm. For Susan this was a chance to 'Return to Nature' but soon what money they had was dwindling which encouraged the Sweetbuds to find other forms of income.

One illegal Marijuana farm later and the Sweetbuds were on the run again, this time eventually settling in New York.

During this time, for his part, Sol was mostly leading a happy life, doted on by a loving, if somewhat flighty, mother and spending his formative years on a farm in the middle of Tennessee. Although his stepfather wasn't the greatest of role models, regularly ignoring Sol unless it was to convince Susan to stay, Sol received more then enough love from his mother. This affection, combined with Susan's generally stoned behavior, made Sol develop a deep seated need to care for his mother, protecting her and becoming far more responsible then most children his age.

Although isolated from school or even other children because of his mothers increasing paranoia over 'The Man' Sol still received a modest education thanks to his mother. Specifically lessons in chemistry and botany proved to be the most prevalent given his mother's interests and business. Although not a stranger to the experience of some of his mother's wares Sol generally avoided drug use because he realized he would not be able to care for his mother effectively if he let loose. It was actually because of this clear headed nature and belief to be prepared that Sol was able to escape with his mother when officers once again tracked down the Sweetbud operation.

Having to nearly carry his stoned mother to an awaiting van he had prepared, just in case, Sol, only 14 at the time, drove all night to their new home in New York.

For a time the Sweetbuds laid low, living in their van and off the supplies Sol had squirrelled away for their trip but even these would only last so long. With little recourse Sol took to the streets attempting to sell some of his mother's stash. Unfamiliar with the area and who was actually in control of it Sol was soon captured and interrogated by a local gang. Luckily, rather then just killing the kid and taking his wares the gang, impressed by how much he knew about the stuff, offered to let Sol join them. They'd help get what he needed to make more, even set up a place for him to make/grow the stuff, but they would get the biggest cut of what was sold. With little other choice, and with his mother already next to useless thanks to years of chemical dependency, Sol agreed.

In truth initially Sol wasn't receiving much more then what he needed for him and his mother to survive but at least they were safe and had a place to stay. After a few years of working for the gang Sol learned how to deal with them and sell what he made, occasionally hiding some away to help keep his mother calm, but even this would soon change. One night when he was working for the gang and his mother had run out of drugs, Susan, with an addled mind, went out looking for her boy. Picked up by the police because of her strange behavior Susan's true identity was soon discovered as she was still wanted by the federal government. Now arrested for her crimes back in Tennessee Susan was locked away in a prison hospital given her detreating health.

Sol soon learned of his mothers fate and almost ran off to try to 'rescue her' immediately but luckily his fellow gang members were able to convince him that he'd never be able to do it. The best he could do would be to hire a lawyer to gather a case against the federal prosecution but that would take money; a lot of money.

Moving his Lab to Peck's Beach, partially to get some heat off his operations and partially to expand those operations, Sol dived into his work with the intention to save as much as he could to help free his mother. Initially successful there was someone who had been keeping an eye on Sol.. and it wasn't the police.

One night, while busy at his lab, Sol was attacked by someone he never even saw. A figure cloaked in shadows who moved faster then the eye could see. When Sol awoke the next night he was changed, an inhuman like hunger tearing at his mind.

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-09-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:49 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
If you want to make this about scrappy vampire teens trying to survive in a potentially bad feeding grounds yo might want to ban some Merits like Herd, Feeding Grounds, Friends in High Places, or Status based ones like Kindred Status.

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-01-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:06 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
If I wanted an underground Lab would that be the Library Merit?
Old 02-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2328
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Definitely interested. Im making up a gangrel.
One question though. If I wanted the character to have something like a Volkswagon van as a mobile safe place merit what dot rating would you put that at I first thought one but given that it is mobile I thought maybe two?
Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Josh Thomson
Name: Joshua Thomson "JT"
Clan: Gangrel
Mask: Martyr "Just shut up and let me handle it"
Dirge: Competitor

Appearance: Josh is the kind of scruffy that looks shows his humble means and some effort. He didn't pay much attention to his appearance the months prior to his embrace so his thick dark hair has grown scruffy (out more then down) and he has a respectable amount of stubble for his age. He combs it sometimes when he goes out amount people. He usually wears a well worn Leather jacket and jeans. His build is tall and athletic. He looks like he can handle hard work and a fight.
(Spent like an hour looking for a picture I like and failed horribly)

Background:
Joshua comes from a line of military men on both sides. His maternal grandfather fought in the Korean war and his father in Vietnam. He remembers his mother as an angel but his father was always sort of a thug. Even before he left right at the start of the war. His mother tried to raise him alone for a time. Low income in the bad part of Philly sort of took it's toll on young Josh in spite of her best efforts. There were some bad groups. More then a few fights. He was never a bad kid. But he just seemed to always get into some sort of trouble. A trend that would always follow him. He loved visiting his grandfather in Peck Beach though. The old man ran an auto shop. He loved helping him in the shop and provided the best father figure he had at the time. Taught him right and all that. Was sort of a hard ass but took care of people. But his mother and him never told him about their troubles.

That changed sometime after their father came back. Turns out years at war doesn't make an already kinda bad dad any better. He tried to protect her but got slapped around for his trouble. One time when it got real bad his grandfather just happened to call about their upcoming visit. Joshua finally broke down and told him what was going on. The old man simply told him he would handle it. That night he drove up. Threw his son in law out of the house and helped his daughter and grandson pack their bags. He would live with them from now on. Best years of his young life those. Money was never really around but the old war vet decided to try to straighten Josh out and teach him everything he could. Kinda worked. A little.

But nothing is ever easy or clean. His mother was sick. It took time to catch up but eventually it was just Josh and granddad. Then it was just Josh. Living in an old van his grandfather left him. The shop had to be sold to pay off mom's medical bills. But it wasn't so bad living on a van on a beach. At least in the summer. He even made some money helping with odd jobs around the boardwalk and busking with his guitar.

His embrace was messy. A few months after the funeral his father showed back up. But something about his father was somehow... worse. He was messy. Snarled at him even. Josh tried to leave. His father didn't let him. He woke up thrown messily in the back of his van.

Personality: Joshua is something of a social loner. He finds groups and gets along well with them. But he usually tries to stay alone. He is loyal though. If one of his friends or allies needs it he is the first to start breaking down doors. Or well deserving faces. He is otherwise somewhat sardonic but seemingly easy going.

He is tired of things being taken from him. He has determined no one is taking anything else.

As usual feedback is welcome. I am familiar with CoD but always focused more on mage then vampire.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Josh.pdf (3.03 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by mjb; 02-03-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
If you want to make this about scrappy vampire teens trying to survive in a potentially bad feeding grounds yo might want to ban some Merits like Herd, Feeding Grounds, Friends in High Places, or Status based ones like Kindred Status.
This is a great idea. I think I might reduce the effectiveness of these merits in the autumn, and then remove them outright in the winter. I like the idea of the beginning of our story being a little "carefree."

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
If I wanted an underground Lab would that be the Library Merit?
I think Library makes a lot of sense for a lab. Make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
Definitely interested. Im making up a gangrel.
One question though. If I wanted the character to have something like a Volkswagon van as a mobile safe place merit what dot rating would you put that at I first thought one but given that it is mobile I thought maybe two?
I think you could do Safe Place (••). After all, Josh will never sleep in the same place twice.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds good to me. Guy just sleeps in the ground so it felt wrong giving him a stationary haven. But even vagrant vampire teens need something to feel safe in.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:12 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
This is a great idea. I think I might reduce the effectiveness of these merits in the autumn, and then remove them outright in the winter. I like the idea of the beginning of our story being a little "carefree."
I might suggest noting which of these Merits you wish to ban and which ones you plan to slowly fade out because Merits are a big part of these types of characters. Having them taken away can make a player feel as if they are being treated unfairly if they are not made aware of that possibility at the start of the game. On the other hand if someone knows that a Merit will be slowly faded out but still takes it then that is their choice.

Just like having a mobile Haven (ie. Blacked out vehicle) might allow it to be stolen, destroyed, or lost.

Another good idea is to minimize the amount someone can invest into any one Merit. This encourages diversification but also ensures you don't have anyone starting with a private fortune or powerful allies like an entire crime family, a corporation, or other large group. Maybe say one level 3 Merit and all others level 2 or lower.

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-03-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:37 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
I mean when we say "new sireless teenage vampire that will go hungry at some point" I pretty much felt that made things like status and more affluent, high level or reliable social and material support merits unfitting even without the hard and fast rules. So that may not be necessary. The theme seems pretty straight forward. It's supposed to be a small group anyway.

I'll have his sheet up soon but I didn't give Josh any feeding merits and only three dots if social merits. Two for friends on the board walks and such and a single dot contact in an local (unambitious) beat cop who knew his family and can be talked or bribed into overlooking some things.

Sanctity of merits is a thing so if the van goes at some point I'm okay with it. But Josh will very much not be but the player assumed and accepted the risk.

Been wondering. It assumed the players already know each other when game starts or are we meeting after?

Last edited by mjb; 02-03-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:22 AM
Puppies need sweets too!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26510
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
right-aligned image
Sophia Dawson sat perched upon her black 1963 BMW R60 . To many she was known for her B grade horror flicks that pushed the cliché notions about vampires, werewolves and other cult classic monsters. Her latest film, The Rise of Nyarlathotep was a nod to H. P. Lovecraft and his tales about tentacle faced aliens trying to take over the world. The film was apparently set in Jordan where some investigators were exploring ancient ruins to learn the ways of magic in an attempt to battle the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight in a race to find the long lost pieces of the Ry’leh disc to stop them from raising the great Cthulhu from his resting place buried deep within the ocean. Critics were already calling this her best film yet.

When Jeremy MacNiel spoke of the teen boy who had sprained his ankle and needed a ride home a chill crawled down her spine. Well, perhaps it was just a tickle of the hairs standing on end. Nonetheless, she felt the urgency of the alarming situation and could not help but be forced to take action.

Calmly, from the comfort and safety of her precious motorcycle, Sophia Dawson announced, ”I will volunteer.” She was neither loud nor quiet, yet her words cut through the crowd and were heard by all as she pierced the silence of momentary indecision; an interesting gesture coming from a vampire so often in the spotlight proliferating the falsehoods and confusion about the nature of vampires. Some of the kindred had criticized her for pushing the boundaries of the Masquerade, but she always seemed to break free of the accusations, having never really been influenced by them anyway. Thus was her proposal to the park manager, her call to duty as it were. She gazed into the boy's soft blue eyes and offered a gentle smile. Already she could see the strong pulse of his carotid as he looked out at her through pain and fear, things which he should have felt for her, but instead he saw her as a savior. How sweet are the innocent when they walk willingly into your arms.

Not wanting to seem overly eager, Sophia gestured with fingers towards her as she sat upon her motorcycle. The boy grinned, perhaps never having been on one before. A woman, likely a mother herself, helped the boy limp across the edge of the pier where he climbed onto the back of the bike. She turned and winked at him as the motorcycle roared to life. "Hold on tight, kid." She said with a grin, and thunder echoed across the beach as she let out the clutch and pulled back on the throttle.

Sophia may have only been a vampire for eighteen months, but by age twenty one she'd been doing horror flicks for nearly ten years by then, having gotten into them as a child because she enjoyed playing with props and makeup and fake blood. She had a pretty face and was a good screamer and that pretty much sealed the deal. The films were all very low budget but the group of writers were all working on cutting edge material that was based on cult followings of horror noir. As she grew into a more mature body she began accepting more daring roles in the more sultry depictions of vampirism. The number of times that she was seduced by a vampire and slain by his bloodlust grew until she caught the interest of a particular writer among the group. They had been working on a series of films about a single vampire that would play the role of an antivillain who still needed to feed to survive. Nothing had made it to production but she’d been following along with their stories as they were working on them and one day after a really bloody set, this writer, Duke Nellington, approached her on set. In that scene, Sophia had been completely ravaged, first sexually, then brutally torn apart and mutilated. Not only was she completely naked, but she’d been covered in gashes and blood and bones protruding from her ribcage and collar bone. Her face was unmarred, however, though it was covered by an epic splattering of blood and viscera - her own viscera, of course. The final cut scene had been called and Duke walked onto the set with a simple wooden chair and planted it down beside Sophia amide the gore and fake blood and then he took a seat.

”Wonderful job today,” he said, with a smile, as she lay there basking in the dramatic moment. White sclera framing piercing hazel irises broke through the red and black gore coating her face as Sophia looked to see who was addressing her. Being rather amused by the compliment she couldn’t help but smile. From her sprawled out position on the floor she moved her wrists and pinched her fingers, bent her knees a bit and nodded her head in a mock curtsy. ”Murder is my pleasure!” She blurted, and immediately was relieved that no one would be able to see her blush at her own tawdry comment.

Curiously, Duke chuckled. ”You see, Ms Dawson, we’ve been working on a series of films. Well, we’ve had a lot of struggle to get them out of the wastebasket in production, but we’ve managed to catch someone’s attention with a unique proposition. And we, well, I would like your help.”

Sophia was the curious one now and turned on her side and propped her head on her hand and enjoyed the tickling sensation of fake blood and gore sliding off of her body to the floor while she lay there listening to one of the better writers of the group she’d been working with all this time was telling her about some new films. ”My help? What’s the unique proposition?”

Duke held her gaze, seemingly unfazed by the lurid display. ”Well, you are the unique proposition. I want you to star in my new film. If it goes well, then there will be more. You’ve been in this business a long time for your age. This could be your moment. I want to make these movies, but I need your help. This isn’t Hollywood, but you’re a natural and with your combination of talent, experience, and looks, man, you really make a film come to life.” He clutched a rolled binder of paper and held up a finger as though interrupting himself. ”There is another thing. I’m going to be costarring with you, if that’s okay.”

After digging a piece of bone from her naval, Sophia grinned. ”You want me to costar with you in a film that you wrote and there may be more if it goes well? Gosh, I think I’ll say yes to that!”

Duke smiled broadly and handed her the rolled notebook and said, ”Here’s the script. We start shooting next week.” And then he walked away leaving a trail of bloody footprints for someone else to deal with while Sophia began planning how to extricate herself from her predicament without ruining the fresh white pages of her new script. She’d never had a script before, just screaming at people throwing blood at her and chasing her with fake weapons.

Two weeks later the stage was set. Sophia played the part of a young college girl home from school who ran into Duke on the pier at Peck’s Beach on Independence Day. The script was pretty loose, but inspired, and the film crew was kept to a minimum. A single cinematographer operating a Sony Betamovie BMC-100P followed them around as they played a few games, had funnel cake, sat on the beach for a time. Duke bought a few beers and they found a good place for the fireworks. As night fell, they became more intimate. By the time they were kissing and running hands over one another, the fireworks began to light up the sky. Duke moved down her cheek and jawline to her neck, where he moved his hand up the back of her neck and tilted her head upward toward the camera as he made a dramatic showing of horrific fangs and tore into the other side of her neck. She screamed. Blood sprayed everywhere. Sophia shifted from her lapse into an unanticipated surrender into intimacy quite suddenly into a fight for survival. She pounded on him with her fists and tried to kick her feet to get away from him or get him away from her. But his placement had been skillful and for all she fought it was all for naught. The screen went dark as the snuff film had been fully recorded and nobody seemed to have noticed. The fireworks continued for a while longer and Duke used a penknife to pierce his wrist and held her chin down as he bled into her mouth. Then Duke and the cameraman disappeared, leaving Sophia half naked, dead on the beach.

She awoke on the beach, covered in her own blood, to the attention of a crowd of people admiring the local actress in an unexpectedly public display of her talent. Disoriented by the circumstance she was in and the new condition of her body and the massive impact it had on her perspective on everything, Sophia managed to stand up amid the flashes of cameras and clapping of fans and walked off into the night. She had an apartment somewhere that she needed to get to and she craved a ride on her motorcycle, but the thirst, the unquenchable, insatiable lusting for something that could not quite be defined just yet, but it was there and she would find it. And she would take it if she had to.

Last edited by Gath; 02-03-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
Been wondering. It assumed the players already know each other when game starts or are we meeting after?
I think we can figure this out once we know the characters. We might be able to tie some characters together better than others, while others might make more sense to have met post-embrace. Also, I saw you posted Josh's character sheet. I'll check that out shortly!

Great characters so far everyone! I really appreciate the interest and effort here!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:49 AM
Puppies need sweets too!

Tools
User Statistics
Super stoked about this game. I have the Masquerade core rules and player's guide, as well as the 20th anniversary edition.

Not sure if that is compatible, but I think I'll hold off on dropping the 20 bucks for the 2e book until the selections have been made. Keep me posted.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Sophia is a Daeva right?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Puppies need sweets too!

Tools
User Statistics
I was thinking so, yes. But I need the 2e rules to sort all that out.