twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 01:16 AM
Romanes Eunt Domus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 173
Raada Raada
Hi Therru! Awesome that you're DMing, the open ended gaming style seems really interesting too. I'll try and get an app up ASAP.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:00 AM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 402
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
This looks really cool, I have a couple of ideas for interesting racial concepts. One of them is a Nekomata (Tabaxi) Necromancer, but in order for it to work, it would need to be or get to level six quickly. That being said, what level will the game start at? And while I’m asking questions, how will ability scores be determined?

Last edited by Crucius; 02-02-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
What's the starting level in this case?
Old 02-02-2020, 06:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 578
BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe BlindScribe

You made it!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Therru Therru Therru Therru
I am tremendously gratified by the very positive response this game is receiving - and some lovely character applications shaping up already! Hooray! Addressing a few questions below, if I've somehow managed to miss yours please just shout LOUDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq View Post
What level were we starting at? Just because that might affect the background a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniacal View Post
What's the starting level in this case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucius View Post
That being said, what level will the game start at? And while Iím asking questions, how will ability scores be determined?
I did say I thought I was forgetting something... 1st level, with 27 point buy. Application info updated accordingly.

Quote:
Also, should I be a demon blood (half orc) from a former raider clan, or a stupidly naive foreign explorer.
Follow your heart (annoyingly unhelpful, I know, but I don't want to influence you unduly. Both sound like good starting points for an interesting character!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Are undead going to be a monster type in this setting?
I fully intend to use some of Japanese mythology's many excellent and horrific ghosts/ghouls/sinister floating head monsters during this campaign. Should be a safe bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raada View Post
Hi Therru! Awesome that you're DMing, the open ended gaming style seems really interesting too. I'll try and get an app up ASAP.
Hi Raada - looking forward to seeing what you come up with! No rush though, the deadline's still a ways off.

Quote:
This looks really cool, I have a couple of ideas for interesting racial concepts. One of them is a Nekomata (Tabaxi) Necromancer, but in order for it to work, it would need to be or get to level six quickly.
I doubt we'll be getting to level 6 terribly quickly, whether you measure by in-game or out-of-game time. I like a relatively slow level progression, and while I'm intending to accelerate things a bit for the PbP format it'll still be a bit of a wait for your character to start coming into their own mechanically... that said, if you think the idea would be fun to roleplay anyway, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindScribe View Post

You made it!
I did! Got there in the end haha
Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
The Wanderer
left-aligned image
Name: Na No (Lit. No Name)
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 130 lbs
Background: Ronin
Race: Human (Possibly Variant)
Class: Essentially, taking one level of Barbarian at first level, the rest is all fighter. Barbarian represents and unpolished fighting style in the beginning, and later on makes use of rage as a sort of samurai style battle trance for later fighter levels. Also, unarmored defense, which is mostly just for the fluff factor of an unarmored ronin.Barbarian

Background

Chapter 1: The Child with No Name
The Wanderer was born a slave. Her mother before her was a slave, and likely her grandmother before that. Like most slaves, she was taken from her mother shortly after birth and raised by her masters, doing light labor as a child such as performing chores and greeting the guests of her betters. She was never given a proper name. Most slaves didn't have one unless they were particularly favored by the masters, and it was early on in her life that she proved to be a little rebel, never quite gaining the sort of favor one might need to earn any sort of status among the slaves.

The Wanderer had few friends growing up. She certainly spent time with the other children, most of them older, but had no time to play like most children might have. She was occasionally selected as a playmate for the master's children, but usually to be used as a glorified toy rather than anything approaching a real friend. She made no lasting relationships with her family or masters growing up; at least, nothing that she wouldn't have been willing to part with if offered an alternative.

Chapter 2: No More Masters

While most of The Wanderer's early childhood was relatively simple and almost pleasant, her early teenage years were anything but. No longer seen as a child, she was expected to perform harsher tasks, and the punishment for doing them poorly was significantly more painful. As if the increased expectations weren't bad enough, she also became a target for some of the older boys. It was mostly harmless teasing, though one of the boys was less gentle, and seemed to have a particularly adamant interest in The Wanderer.

As a slave, The Wanderer wasn't technically supposed to deny the masters anything, let alone their children, but she made up excuses to maintain her distance from the sort of trouble that the persistent young man represented, often making a hasty retreat whenever he came too close. One day, however, that boy made a plan. The plan made certain that he would be able to spend a great deal of time with The Wanderer without anyone else to interfere. When he finally had her where he wanted her, he made his move -- only for The Wanderer to respond violently, bashing the young man over the head with whatever was at hand. She wasn't entirely certain if she had killed the boy, but she knew for certain that if she was found anywhere near his body, whether he was dead or merely unconscious, she wouldn't be long for the world.

Out of desperation, The Wanderer made an attempt to flee. The fact that the boy had made sure they would be alone meant that there were very few guards, and thanks to that fact alone, The Wanderer managed to escape into the fog surrounding the only place she'd called home for fourteen years. She was free, at least for now -- but now she had nowhere to go, and no one to rely on.

Chapter 3: The Way of The Wanderer

The Wanderer traveled through the mists for what seemed like weeks, sleeping in caves, or in the branches of trees when she could find them. Food was scarce, but she managed to find enough to get by. Of course, she wasn't the only one that traveled in the fog lands. There were always said to be monsters out here, and after an unknown amount of time, she was inevitably found by a pack of them.

Fleeing had done her good the last time she'd been in trouble, but this time with multiple beasts that were far more used to the poor visibility than she was, there was no real place to run to. Luckily, she didn't have to -- After managing to climb just out of reach of the beasts, she was rescued by an older woman wielding quite possibly the largest sword she had ever seen. The woman fought off the monsters, and after talking with The Wanderer for a short time, eventually offered to bring her along to the nearest city to get herself cleaned up.

That was the major turning point in The Wanderer's life. She began traveling with the older woman, eventually convincing her to teach her to use a sword. After three years of training, the woman finally told The Wanderer that to learn more, she would have to go out into the world and use the skills she had learned so far. She wouldn't be able to learn any more by sparring with her teacher, she would have to fight her own battles and learn by doing... And so The Wanderer traveled south, leaving the fog lands and journeying in the direction of the Imperial City, starting an adventure all her own.

Personality

At this stage of her life, The Wanderer is brazen and impulsive. She's entirely overconfident in her abilities, expecting on some level to be just as good as her teacher. She's prone to getting in over her head, and taking on just a little too much. The Wanderer craves action, and may be prone to starting as many fights as not. Still though, for all of her eagerness, The Wanderer is a good person at heart and makes every effort to avoid killing when it can be avoided.

She has no real love for authority figures, expecting that most -- if not all -- of them outright abuse their power, but without proof, she restricts herself to being snarky and irreverent, rather than outright hostile. She enjoys good food a bit too much, but thanks to her active lifestyle and youthful metabolism, that isn't a huge problem right now. She rarely drinks, citing that she hates how it makes her head feel fuzzy.

The Wanderer isn't a particularly greedy person. She lives on fairly little, and tends to spend her money on only the bare necessities, stores it away for an emergency, or in the event that she just has too much, may even be prone to giving it away. In her mind, the only thing she really needs to get by is the swords at her side.

Last edited by Mechaniacal; 02-06-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Garrettq
And character's done, would really appreciate feedback from anyone, sorry I went a little overboard on the background. And I'm sure it goes without saying but I can obviously edit things that won't work well with the game.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Ermine Ermine
I don't think you went overboard, much less to the point of needing to apologise.

Edit: I'm super hyped for this~

Last edited by Ermine; 02-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9256
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Tsuyui Ofu (Strong Oaf)

Race: Goliath

Class: Barbarian

Background: Entertainer Variant: Gladiator

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral - Raised in the fighting pits, Tsuyui Ofu has little knowledge of anything other than survival by strength.

Personality: Trained to be docile out of combat and ferocious during battle he is a living experiment between nature and nurture. Will his goliath heritage overcome the brutal life growing up a gladiator imparts?

Appearance: His grey skin is covered in tattoos that he was given prior to his enslavement in the gladiator rings. They are strange symbols and runes that surely have meaning to one who could read them. Perhaps they tell the story of his people or they hold his destiny in their shapes. Many a sleepless night in the slavepits, Tsuyui Ofu has dreamed of their meaning. (These could come into play at 3rd level and tie into his choice of Zealot or Storm Herald or Ancestral Guardian)

Backstory: The goliath of the nearby mountain range had been left to a peaceful existence with the Empire. Trading when necessary and interacting little, the Wong Gunung (Mountain Men), led a life of simplicity within the rocky crags of the mountain home. The Warlords had other ideas for such a brawny race, slavery. Raids were sent into the mountains to kill the men and steal the children. In the decades since, there are a scattered few who still reside in the mountains, their numbers too few to continue the hunt for them. A small population has grown up in Bay City knowing nothing but servitude. Some are used as bodyguards, others in the Glanggang, the Great Arena. Such a display would never have been allowed to flourish under the Empire of old but the Warlords have a taste for brutality and blood.

Tsuyui Ofu has been trained from birth to fight. As he prepared for his initial bouts in the Glanggang, he was bought by a foreigner and whisked away from the slave pens. An old sage had plans that required a bit of muscle to see through. To see the Warlords overthrown and the Tenryuu restored, vast change would need to take place in Bay City. The correct application of the right amount of muscle may just begin an avalanche that would bury the Warlords and restore just order.

Why This Character? (OOC): I'm no expert in Japanese culture and neither is Tsuyui Ofu! We'll both learn as we go. My ideas for this character would be for his rage to be something to control at early levels and then as he gains experience, it is something he is able to channel. An evolution from a brute to a tactician.

Last edited by tomplum; 02-06-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru View Post
I doubt we'll be getting to level 6 terribly quickly, whether you measure by in-game or out-of-game time. I like a relatively slow level progression, and while I'm intending to accelerate things a bit for the PbP format it'll still be a bit of a wait for your character to start coming into their own mechanically... that said, if you think the idea would be fun to roleplay anyway, go for it!
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately my idea wouldnít really be doable in that case, since a bard canít get animate dead until level 6. I think Iím going to try for Kitsune Enchanter in that case. Would you be open to the Vulpin race from Humblewood? If not I can reflavor a half-elf, variant human, tiefling, or maybe changeling.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Therru Therru Therru Therru
Quote:
And character's done, would really appreciate feedback from anyone, sorry I went a little overboard on the background. And I'm sure it goes without saying but I can obviously edit things that won't work well with the game.
Thanks for the application! Ryuu Bo looks good, background and all I'll message you with some proper feedback when I've got a bit more time to spare - hopefully tonight or tomorrow evening.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately my idea wouldnít really be doable in that case, since a bard canít get animate dead until level 6. I think Iím going to try for Kitsune Enchanter in that case. Would you be open to the Vulpin race from Humblewood? If not I can reflavor a half-elf, variant human, tiefling, or maybe changeling.
Tragically I don't have the Humblewood book - is it available open-source anywhere? I found this, but I'm not sure if it's just homebrew or based on something else. I'm not entirely opposed, but it's bordering on too complicated for my tastes - Natural Attunement and Quick Reflexes are both novel. Maybe if I fall in love with the character

By the way if you're keen on changeling I'd need an open-source version of that from somewhere - I'm this close to ordering the Eberron book but I don't have it yet.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru View Post
Tragically I don't have the Humblewood book - is it available open-source anywhere? I found this, but I'm not sure if it's just homebrew or based on something else. I'm not entirely opposed, but it's bordering on too complicated for my tastes - Natural Attunement and Quick Reflexes are both novel. Maybe if I fall in love with the character

By the way if you're keen on changeling I'd need an open-source version of that from somewhere - I'm this close to ordering the Eberron book but I don't have it yet.
Alright, I was planning on borrowing a friendís copy of the Humblewood material but Iím pretty sure that isnít it, mostly because it talks about elves and humans. If you canít get access to those materials though, I can just work with another option and reflavor it. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 325
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
@Therru,
What technology stage is the developed city of Onokoro at?

Also, may i ask if there are any religious pantheons that you are sourcing from directly?

I was drafting Ren, with a mind to a shinto/yogic tradition.
Hoping to flesh out some of these cultures more so in the backstory.

I have a cool thought about Rens character motivation as well..
To seek the sacred archways as he sees in his dreams.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Hoots
Ooo! This is very intriguing. Posting my interest while I think up a concept.

Edit: And done!

Snow of the Mountain
right-aligned image

Name: Snow (Snow of the Mountain)
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Bard
Background: Criminal (Spy Variant Custom)

Personality: Snow almost seems to have two distinct personalities. When she is performing or entertaining she is charming, forthright, and expansive in her gestures and words to really drive her point home. But, when she is not 'on', her demeanor is more introspective and calm, eerily quiet even. In all things she is a keen observer, weighing thought before action and reserving her words for pointed remarks rather than useless noise. This is not to say that she is a joyless cold lump, just that it takes time for those around her to actually meet the blending of these two personalities. As with most of her kind she is insatiably curious, but not to the point of outright stupidity. She knows that there is always more than one path to the end goal, and in time they reveal themselves.

Appearance:Of average height and slender build with narrow yet feminine features, she doesn't physically stand out in crowd when it comes to height or bulk. Despite her name her markings are more akin to that of a tiger than any stereotypical snow-faring cat, large or small, though they are softened and not as striking as her wild counterparts. Age-wise she appears to be in her mid-twenties, for those who can tell such a thing by look, though of course she'll never give a precise age if asked. Carefully groomed at all times, she obviously takes good care of her appearance and possessions. Her speaking voice is a throaty alto with an intriguing touch of accent from her home country.

Backstory: Snow did not arrive with the first wave of ships, but sometime after when a steady foothold was established in Bay City. She did not arrive alone, of course, for what Tabaxi could turn down the allure of learning the secrets of Tenka-Now-Open? The caravan was of middling size lead by their elder Far Shores, with four others besides herself, with the intent of establishing themselves as traders and entertainers. This...did not go as planned, initially. As one can imagine the locals were not keen to do business with outsiders, especially as other caravans arrived and jockeyed for power and influence.

Far Shores was persistent however, and his eye for quality mixed with his natural showmanship was eventually too much for some to ignore. They enjoyed a small amount of notoriety for a time among those locals who remained in the city, learning the culture and adapting their performances and social presentation to better blend with the local populace. During this time Snow struck up a friendship with a local woman, Haruko, who had once accompanied dancers for the enjoyment of the Tenryuu court. Through this she picked up the ability to play a local instrument, the koto, which in turn opened more doors for the caravan.

Not all were impressed by this blending of cultures. Some considered it an outright mockery by the invading forces.

The caravan was invited to perform for a daimyo just outside of the vaguely-safe-borders of Bay City. Seeing it as an opportunity to expand their audience Far Shores gratefully accepted the invitation.

Sadly, that lead him directly into the jaws of a trap.

The performance was literally cut short, three of Snow's caravan-mates cut down before they realized what happened. The fourth, who had meant to be their bodyguard, lasted only slightly longer, leaving Far Shores and Snow to fend for themselves. Thinking quickly Haruko threw herself at the mercy of the daimyo and plead for their lives, blurting forth a plan she hoped would work. Snow was a popular musician and surely he could use this to his advantage to gain information on the other powers of the nation without having to expend any of his own personal men on the matter, thus maintaining plausible deniability.

This plan was intriguing to him and he stayed his hand. In these trying times he certainly had to use every advantage available to him. He agreed to the plan on the condition that he would hold Far Shores and Haruko as his "guests", and should Snow betray him they would suffer the same fate as the rest of the caravan. Seeing no other choice she was forced to agree to the terms.

She has spent the past several months as a solo performer within the walls of Bay City. Watching the comings and goings and reluctantly reporting anything of note back to her "benefactor".

Why This Character? (OOC): I love political intrigue and collaborative games so this grabbed my attention right away. The idea of playing an outsider who knows just enough to get themselves into trouble, has, and now has to live with the consequences has always been a fun concept to me. It does present for some interesting points of contention with characters who are of the home culture, which could be fun to roleplay out. As far as progress I like the idea of her eventually growing into a College of Lore bard as she learns more about the culture and mythos of Tenka.

Last edited by Hoots; 02-08-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 908
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Ikzu
right-aligned image
Name: Ikzu
Race: Devil-Monkey (Goblin)
Class: Sorcerer
Background: Entertainer (Actor)
Alignment: Neutral

Personality: Curious and good-humoured, Ikzu can often be irriverent and occasionally annoying, but he has learnt not to exasperate guards, rich people and crying folks, which was a big step up. He's not used to dwell on the past or contemplate the future, since the present is already too full of distractions to keep up with.

Appearance: Ikzu is green-skinned with some earrings, he's missing a couple of teeth due to poor hygene. he has some raggy but colourful clothes, usually reversible in case a rapid change of clothes is needed for scenic or practical reasons. Early on in his life in the human cities he picked up a mask to help him perform and earn a living, but he soon started wearing it non-stop as he noticed that the common folk welcommed him more as a "masked weirdo" than when he showed his face around.

Backstory: The tribe of the Howling Dogs was a small goblinoid band that moved cyclically around the year in certain spots on the mountains. Thay sustained themselves primarly by raiding small villages close to their route. They were not a particularly brutal tribe, often the main targets of their raids was kettle. Unfortunately with the war more city folk moved to the countryside, the rapid increase of people meant that the farmers became more possessive about their food resources. After a successful raid of pigs, the humans decided to retaliate against the Howling Dogs.

Barely surviving the massacre, the young Ikzu found himself wandering and lost, until he found a mass of refugees who also lost everything, directed to Onokoro. The tales of the migrants felt similar to the Devil-Monkey tragedy, so he decided to accompany them in their journey and put up clownish acts to lift their spirits during rest stops. Scantily speaking the common language, he developed a gibberish language, mixed from Goblin and Comon to narrate the myths of his tribe. And as he acted as the assistant to the shaman before the butchery of his people, he picked up some minor magic tricks that he now used to emphasize major plot points.

Once they reached the big city, Ikzu kept on exhibiting for coins and scraps, waiting for something more exiting to come up.

Why This Character? (OOC):
The setting is definitely interesting, I remember I had a book of chinese mythology as a kid, I don't remember much of it, but this game struck a chord.

This particular pc started out because I never really played a full caster and wanted to explore that path. But the more I wrote his story and personality, the more it remembered me of Kikuchiyo of Seven Samurai, insulent and mercurial. I haven't really planned out a real ark for this pc, but I think I'd like something similar (without the social commentary on the caste system ).
At the moment he doesn't have a particular stance on the war either way, but just feels sympathetic for the ones that have lost everything. He might develop hate towards the aristocracy for creating a fallable system that pushed down lesser races and peasants or grow to despise the Black Ships people for waging war at an idyllic status quo.

Feedback is welcome!

Last edited by Ursinorum; 02-05-2020 at 11:42 AM.