RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1536
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
I love me some Japanese folk lore! How would you feel about be using the Rogue UA subclass Soul Knife?
Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 402
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Adachi Raito
Race: Half-Kitsune (Devil’s Tongue Tiefling)
Class: Wizard (School of Enchantment)
Background: Custom Noble
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personality: Raito has a bright and cheery attitude as a general rule. He feels deeply though and has a tendency to get very mad at insults, especially about his ears and tail. He has a sense of awe for the natural world and a great desire to prove himself as a suitable future Daimyo, trying to live up to the stature of his father. He admires his father’s generosity and kindness and tries to replicate them, though his temper occasionally gets in the way.
Appearance: Raito is a young, pale, and slender man with black hair and blue eyes. He is often dressed in robes, with a purple sash to represent his membership in the Adachi clan. Of course, his most striking features are his white, fox-like ears and tail, which betray his kitsune ancestry. Whenever he is with his father he is sure to allow his ears and tail to be visible but when leaving his house alone he is sure to don a broad-rimmed hat and tuck his tail into his robes to avoid unwanted attention.
Backstory: Raito’s father, Adachi Kanehira, is a Daimyo under the Heavenly Dragon Emperor. He was not of noble birth, but earned membership in the clan and the position of Daimyo for his commendable service as a soldier in a great war preceding the war against the black ships. After being given his land, he fell in love with a beautiful young woman and married. Unbeknownst to him, this woman was a shapeshifter, a Kitsune. But this Kitsune had no I’ll intentions and Kanehira was very happy. In time, she bore him a son, a son with fox ears and a tail. It was immediately obvious what had happened, and the royal guard turned on the woman. Before Kanehira could call them off, she disappeared, and no amount of calling after her brought her back. Kanehira was deeply grieved by the loss of his wife, but vowed to cherish his son, the last light in his life, Raito.
Raito grew up loved by his father, but not by many others. He had no friends to speak of as all would either torment him for his obvious heritage or flatter him because of his station. Growing up he heard his father’s stories of glory on the battlefield and longed to be a hero on the battlefield. When the black ships came, he begged his father to let him fight, being only eight years old at the time. His father, of course denied this request, not only due to his age, but his lack of strength as well. Indeed, Raito was quite weak physically, perhaps due to his mother’s blood, but was incredibly intelligent as well. While his skill with the sword never came, he soon proved himself to be excellent with words and even with magecraft, especially that of enchantment. Kanehira, being a loving father and a keen strategist, convinced Raito that this was his path to greatness and Raito soon dedicated his education to becoming more skilled in magic. Still unsatisfied with the dealings of domestic politics, Raito determined to leave the walls to the Closed Country, hoping to earn his own glory through great discovery or bravery on the field of combat, even if with a spellbook in place of a sword. His father being still very protective, conducted a tournament for a personal bodyguard to accompany Raito during his journeys. When the final champion stood, one Shiruk, Kanehira was about to deny him on the grounds of his even impersonating a Tengu, but Raito softened his father, reminding him that just because someone was different, it didn’t make them evil. And so Raito went forth with his new companion, prepared to discover the world and maybe even himself.
Why? I loved this game concept as soon as I saw it, being a fan of Japanese folklore, and knew I wanted to play something unique to such a world. While this wasn’t my first character idea, I thought a Kitsune who enchanted people would be a perfect fit. But the more I thought about it, I realized that it could be way more interesting to explore the idea of a human growing up with Kitsune blood. From there, the pieces began to fall into place in my mind and Raito was born. I really hope I get to play him.

Okay, I finally finished. Please let me know what you guys think. I’m open to feedback.

Last edited by Crucius; 02-13-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Adjusted Names for Authenticity, Added Collaboration
Old 02-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
Therru Therru Therru Therru
Thanks for the continuing interest everyone - some great applications coming in! More questions answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoem View Post
@Therru,
What technology stage is the developed city of Onokoro at?

Also, may i ask if there are any religious pantheons that you are sourcing from directly?

I was drafting Ren, with a mind to a shinto/yogic tradition.
Hoping to flesh out some of these cultures more so in the backstory.

I have a cool thought about Rens character motivation as well..
To seek the sacred archways as he sees in his dreams.
I'm striving to remain flexible on the tech level in this game - my typical preference is for pre-gunpowder fantasy exploits, but I could probably be persuaded to allow limited access to, for example, firearms (along the lines of matchlocks and muskets). The historical Black Ships were steam- as well as sail-powered (and definitely carried guns, hence the gunboat diplomacy); the ones that showed up in Tenka might be similarly high-tech, magical analogues, or a mix of the two. It depends what people want for their characters, really.

All that being said, Onokoro would certainly have access to technology and/or magic that is quite different from (if not outright superior to) the stuff the average Tenkan is familiar with.

Religion! Nothing's set in stone, but there'll definitely be some Shinto-inspired religious practises and you won't go far wrong drawing from Hindo-Buddhist traditions, either. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfTheHeart View Post
I love me some Japanese folk lore! How would you feel about be using the Rogue UA subclass Soul Knife?
Looks good to me! The metaphysical status of psionics is entirely mysterious to me, so please feel free to diverge from D&D canon as much as possible as you like.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 908
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
I was wondering about the people from the Black ships, since they renamed the capital, what sorta of government they put in place? I'm imagining a broad baddie-Empire style, but what did you had in mind? Their attitude towards the conquered?

At the end of the backstory of my pc I left him at Onokoro because I assumed that's where we would be starting, was I completely off?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1536
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Application-Complete
right-aligned image

Name: Yume Yllren

Race: High Elf

Class: Rogue (Eventual Soul Knife)

Background: Sage

Personality: Yume is a quiet soul, always looking, listening, observing, and generally taking in information to store for later. He likes his solitude but isn't an unfriendly person. The curious type who likes learn about absolutely everything, especially in figuring out how things work. Very persistent and stubborn, refusing to give up even when there's no hope left.

Appearance: Yume is about 5' 6" with a slender build. He has long, wavy, black hair that tends to be a bit messy. His eyes are rather strange for his kind, they're a dull green and pupil less, but glow brilliantly when unleashing his psychic powers. He has quite the rugged appearance for a High Elf, with a dusting of freckles on his face, a scar through his lip, and numerous ear piercings. He dresses almost entirely in black, except for his bright green sash, which he can also use as a hood and mask. No matter what he wears, he always keeps his arms covered, as they are covered in oddly patterned, spiraling, scars.

Backstory: Yume was born to two members of the Seekers of Knowledge, a secret organization that live in a hidden underground library. They travel the land and steal forbidden books before they're destroyed, as well as pass on the forbidden knowledge to others so that it may not be forgotten. His parents specialized in the study of the arcane. Unknown to anybody, Yume was an experiment. Just like you would spend time enchanting a piece of armor, Yume's parents spent hours a day exposing him to magic while he was developing. When he was born, he was clearly different, but how different they had no idea. He looked very little like a High Elf baby, and his eyes were completely pupil less. He cried nearly constantly and they had no idea why. The experiment was considered a failure when he was old enough to talk. That's when he could tell his parents that his head hurt all the time. Whatever they had done to him, it wasn't good.

Like all High Elves, magic was in his blood. At eight he learned his first magic spell, it was a rite of passage for all High Elves. That's the day that he learned that when he used magic, the headache lessened. His parents started studying his again, to try and figure out just what he had done. But they were stopped by the leader of their organization who wanted to put Yume into training to aid the Seekers of Knowledge in their quest, as all children born in their library were to do. So Yume just lived with the headaches, playing with his only spell in order to keep them under control. The headaches just faded into the background as he learned to function with them. Yume became very good at the arts of stealth, theft, and all the other things that were needed for taking forbidden books and bringing them back. At the same time he developed a curiosity and desire for knowledge. He became one of the best thieves the Seekers had.

It has been a century since the Seekers of Knowledge had been destroyed. Their underground home the scene of a horrific blood bath. The only thing spared was the library itself, having been protected by centuries worth of magical wards. Today it still stands, but is guarded by a new organization, one that wants to control what the people know. They still have yet to break the wards, only a Seeker of Knowledge knows how to do so. As far as Yume is aware, he is the only one still alive that remembers the Seekers. He still pursues the path of knowledge, and still to this day introduces himself as a Seeker of Knowledge, only people think he is some sort of scholar. He also still suffers from the headaches, though no longer even feels them, the knowledge of whatever his parents had done died with him. Recently he's taken to adventuring, desiring to take back the library, and he needs help in order to do that.

Why This Character? (OOC): I've wanted to play a Soul Knife since the UA came out. It's a such a cool idea. When I was told I could go nuts with how my character got his powers, I did. My first thought was Sephiroth, an experiment who had been exposed to something while still a developing fetus. So I rolled with it. I knew I wanted to make him a scholar of some sort, and it led to the idea of having two scholar parents who experimented on their baby. I found the picture I used while browsing for pics for a different campaign, but the moment I saw it, I knew it just had to be my Soul Knife. Yume sort of became a mix of Sephiroth, a Castlevania (Netflix) Belmont, and Stranger Things. I have HUGE plans for him in the future that will start coming to pass around level 3, when he can finally use his psychic powers. Including a massive shift in his energy when he starts using said powers and the headaches disappear.

Last edited by ColorsOfTheHeart; 02-11-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
I was wondering about the people from the Black ships, since they renamed the capital, what sorta of government they put in place? I'm imagining a broad baddie-Empire style, but what did you had in mind? Their attitude towards the conquered?

At the end of the backstory of my pc I left him at Onokoro because I assumed that's where we would be starting, was I completely off?
Details remain fluid, but so far I'm working under the assumption that they're not openly oppressive; Onokoro is more of a foothold to trade and spread influence from than the first step in a campaign of military domination. It retains a substantial Tenkan populace, some of whom work openly (and many more indirectly) with the foreigners, and many of their traditions are maintained (although naturally these are subject to erosion and transformation from constant contact with representatives of various outlandish societies). For their part, the foreigners see Tenka itself as a market to be opened or a resource to be exploited - their influence is more corrosive than outright destructive, although naturally individual outlanders will have their own attitudes and opinions. There's probably a puppet daimyo in place, too, to keep things running (relatively) smoothly.

All of this information is subject to change, and some if it only exists because of what people have already written in their applications, so feel free to make your own assumptions! I hope to make space for different, even conflicting, interpretations of the setting and its politics - and Ikzu's perspective would probably be quite unusual anyway, so don't be too concerned about conforming to 'canon' (such as it is).

With regard to our starting point: undecided, but several applicants have shown an interest in it so Onokoro's looking like a strong contender at the moment
Old 02-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 908
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Good stuff!

I forgot to ask: what's the black ships people called (or their place of origin)?
Old 02-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 482
Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie Oakie
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Sōbō
Race: Half Elf
Class: Bard (Glamour)
Background: Hermit

Personality: While dedicated to the core tenents of suizen discipline, he refuses to join the latest fashion for the Rule of Fuke among those who call themselves "komusō." Wearing a basket on your head, indeed! Likewise, he prefers Practice with the tsuchibue (ocarina), rather than the shakuhachi (flute). Basically, he's not a very good monk; that is, if you think a good monk is an obedient monk. He rather believes that it's dedication to simplicity, charity, healing, peacemaking, and practice that brings enlightenment, not blindly following like gosling. And, honestly, what's wrong with a drink now and then, kissing a pretty girl, or a raunchy joke?

Appearance: Sōbō looks like any other young traveling monk in white shirt and breaches, and black robe/blanket draped, with a straw hat and straw sandals, and of course, shaved head and face. Two things about him are unusual. The pendant on his prayer beads is a turtle-shaped tsuchibue. And for those with eyes to see, there is something of a yōsei (fey) look about him.

Backstory:
"Master Yuuto!," said Sōbō to the old man in the cell, "I know you're innocent! I saw Lord Ren's man go into your room minutes before your arrest!"

Like a kingfisher, Master Yuuto's withered arm flew between the bars and pulled Sōbō close. He whispered, "You know nothing. Do you understand? If you bring this story to Daimyo Lord Suketoshi, do you think he'll believe that you aren't lying to protect me? That his favorite son killed his elder brother?"

"Maybe! It's worth it! An evil man like Lord Ren can't go unpunished for his brother's murder! It's obvious he wants to become the daimyo's heir."

"Obvious to you and me, maybe," said Master Yuuto, "Not to the daimyo. He loves his son too much. Even if he doesn't execute you for slander, Lord Ren will find a way to kill you. No, you must leave. Tonight!"

Tears began to cloud Sōbō's vision. "But Master, you will die!"

Master Yoto released Sōbō's robe and stroked his face. "I am an old man and too neatly caught in the trap. Do not be sad," he said, then paused. "Go to my old friend, Elder Masakazu. He is wintering at Kakureta Tani Temple. He will keep you safe and continue your musical training. You'll find him an inspiring teacher."

"But I don't want to be a monk!," said Sōbō.

"You don't have to become a monk, Sōbō," said Master Yuuto, "Learn from Elder Masakazu, though. He is a master musician and master of suizen, and quite a magician and healer besides. You have many years to find your own way. And for now, you will be safe. Now go!" Master Yuuto commanded his young apprentice.

Sōbō turned away, crying and sniffling, leaving the jail and Master Yuuto behind. And so the next stage of his life's journey began.
Why This Character? (OOC): The character started because I want to play a bard for the first time. Somehow in researching Japanese flutes, I found the Zen tradition of komusō, and my imagination ran from there. As for Sōbō, I see him dedicated to peace and healing. He will be a non-combat controller and healer, as well as a skill monkey and negotiator in social encounters. My vision for bardic music in the suizen style is that he'll focus on enchantment and illusion, hence the Glamour archetype, which also fits into what I hope is his growing relationship with nature and the fey.

Last edited by Oakie; 02-07-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Ermine Ermine
@Crucius: Raito's dad's name is Hikari's family name. ^~^ Not saying to change it obviously, just noting the similarity.

This is going to be such a difficult game to pick characters, too. So many good choices!

Last edited by Ermine; 02-08-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 402
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
@Crucius: Raito's dad's name is Hikari's family name. ^~^ Not saying to change it obviously, just noting the similarity.
Ah, thatís actually just me being unfamiliar with Japanese naming conventions. I will make some changes to it on that alone.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
Good stuff!

I forgot to ask: what's the black ships people called (or their place of origin)?
I haven't decided yet! The original Black Ships probably came from one particular place, but Onokoro today is home to foreigners from near and far. Don't be afraid to take liberties with naming people and places yourself, or with worldbuilding in general; I'm happy to take people's ideas and run with them, and to collaborate on changing any details I'm not quite satisfied with. This is all an elaborate ruse to get out of naming things it just takes me so long to come up names that I'm happy with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
This is going to be such a difficult game to pick characters, too. So many good choices!
You're telling me!

On that note, I've been advised to reconsider the final deadline for this game (still more than two weeks away), precisely because there are so many high-quality applications already... I might knock a week off, but I'll make a proper announcement and PM those currently working on characters if I do decide that's for the best (and to those who have already posted placeholders or messaged me in private, rest assured I won't cut you off without prior discussion!).

Just a heads-up to let you all know what I'm thinking - I won't make my decision until the start of next week, so if there are any lurkers reading this who want to sneak a placeholder post in, you have a couple of days to do so!
Old 02-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 415
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru View Post
I haven't decided yet! The original Black Ships probably came from one particular place, but Onokoro today is home to foreigners from near and far. Don't be afraid to take liberties with naming people and places yourself, or with worldbuilding in general; I'm happy to take people's ideas and run with them, and to collaborate on changing any details I'm not quite satisfied with. This is all an elaborate ruse to get out of naming things it just takes me so long to come up names that I'm happy with
Collaborative input? Allowing players to add their own flair to the setting? How dare you!

Quote:
On that note, I've been advised to reconsider the final deadline for this game (still more than two weeks away), precisely because there are so many high-quality applications already... I might knock a week off, but I'll make a proper announcement and PM those currently working on characters if I do decide that's for the best (and to those who have already posted placeholders or messaged me in private, rest assured I won't cut you off without prior discussion!).

Just a heads-up to let you all know what I'm thinking - I won't make my decision until the start of next week, so if there are any lurkers reading this who want to sneak a placeholder post in, you have a couple of days to do so!
Seems fair to me. If you're excited about starting and already have more than enough in possible players after placeholders are done, no point in dragging it out. Were you not expecting this strong a response?
Old 02-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Were you not expecting this strong a response?
Not quite this strong, no! Both the level of interest and - in particular - the quality of the applications have far exceeded my expectations. So while I'm both pleased and impressed, I don't envy future me the choice she'll have to make...
Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 415
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru View Post
Not quite this strong, no! Both the level of interest and - in particular - the quality of the applications have far exceeded my expectations. So while I'm both pleased and impressed, I don't envy future me the choice she'll have to make...
Not a bad problem to have
Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66
Chylopan
I don't buy this totally agreeable, super chill and fun DM routine for a minute!

I'm calling it now: it's all a ruse to get us in-game, build lasting character relationships and bonds, and then -- WHAM! What's that? Vaguely Eastern-inspired rocks fall, you all die. Reroll.

Just you wait!

On a serious note: I, too, am pretty surprised by the reaction the game has garnered! I find myself refreshing the page often throughout the day so I can read all the cool, new apps that keep popping up.