Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
I don't buy this totally agreeable, super chill and fun DM routine for a minute!

I'm calling it now: it's all a ruse to get us in-game, build lasting character relationships and bonds, and then -- WHAM! What's that? Vaguely Eastern-inspired rocks fall, you all die. Reroll.

Just you wait!

On a serious note: I, too, am pretty surprised by the reaction the game has garnered! I find myself refreshing the page often throughout the day so I can read all the cool, new apps that keep popping up.
A wintry cavern
All perception checks failed
Rocks fall, you all die.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by HotsuSama; 02-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Miss Nomer Miss Nomer
TodomekiName: Cecília Assunção da Costa, known to some locals as the "Todomeki."
Race: Dragonborn (Green)
Class: Warlock
Background: Acolyte

Personality: A bubbly, if somewhat irreverent and chaotic personality, Cecília manages to walk a very fine line between nonconformist and heretical within her religious order. A strong sense of wanderlust and love for others called her to leave her homeland and sail for months to reach this strange, faraway land of Tenka, but recent tragedy has tested her faith, personal convictions, and left her feeling haunted. She now expends much effort to distract herself from her own personal crises, mostly through drinking, socializing, and thrill-seeking.

Appearance: Even without the horns on her head, Cecília is a few inches taller than the locals of Tenka… as if the mottled green and gold scales weren't enough to make her stand out in a crowd. She wears clerical robes or whatever garb suits local tastes most of the time, the latter always given to her as a gift by her congregate. While the sharp claws and long jaw filled with numerous, sharp teeth might look threatening, Cecília always manages a smile and positive, open demeanor to overpower any initial, unfavorable reaction they might bring. Her eyes were once bright yellow and with a lizard-like slit for pupils, but they have since faded into a milky white. In the right lighting - or rather, lack thereof - one might mistake the glint of the scales on her arms to be numerous bird-like eyes... but that is just a trick of the light, of course.

Backstory: Cecília hails from the Império da Ibérica, an empire thousands of miles away from Tenka. Her homeland is one that has long sought to build an international network of trade and colonization, both expansionist and mercantile. It is a place that is deeply religious, the Church and state being so intertwined as to merge in some areas. While there are multiple religions, none have the same influence, prestige, and following as the Liberais Church, an ancient order going back over a thousand years. Cecília grew up learning Liberai theology almost as early as she could walk, so much so that is a fabric of her very being. Coupled with a merchant marine father who came home with wild, adventurous tales of far off, exotic lands, Cecília was cultivated quite early to become a missionary, the only profession that would appease her love of the Church and her wanderlust.

She was one of the earliest missionaries to Tenka, and Cecília considers herself lucky beyond compare in this regard. She loves everything about the nations, from the people to the food to the customs to the scenery. Even many years later, she still manages to find new and alien aspects of Tenka, and share with the natives aspects and stories of her homeland that are new and alien to them. Cecília performs rites and rituals for the devout in the mornings and evenings, proselytizes in the afternoons, and - much to her brothers and sisters' dismay - drinks and socializes at night.

In many cases, Cecília's irreverence aids her in befriending locals, allowing her to cut through mysticism and stifled demeanor to engage her audience on a more personal level. But it is also her greatest flaw, as she often ignores the wisdom of her superiors, and acts without thinking things through. On one occasion, she learned that the parish serving the town she was in had been collecting donations that, while normally reserved for buying food and water for poor locals, would instead be directed at buying an expensive censor. Scoffing at the idea that her order would waste money on treasures for the church, Cecília stole the donation and bought food to give to the beggars and poor herself.

Despite her intentions, Cecília later learned that the censor was not for the parish, but to buy favor with a daimyo who was refusing the entry of any missionaries, and even imprisoning people suspected of worshiping the Liberais faith. The censor was of personal importance to the daimyo, stolen from his province centuries ago by a warring faction and a symbol to his people and his office. Such a gift would have almost certainly opened the door to negotiation and helped many lives, but the opportunity was now lost forever.

To her knowledge, Cecília was not caught as the thief, but she began to develop a disease within the week. Quickly, her vision began to grow blurry, then dark. Doctors, both local and Ibérican, could not diagnose her, let alone prescribe a cure. Cecília began to suspect that she was being punished for her thievery. In truth, she was half right.

Strange anomalies began occurring around her. She became prone to fits of erratic anger, developed strange, unsettling dreams of spirits and demons, and began catching glimpses or sensations of entities that do not exist. Occasionally, Cecília felt that she could do unnatural things, like snuff out fires with her thoughts, or cause objects to shatter just by becoming angry. Locals began to spread rumors that her voice would change, becoming deeper, ethereal, and that her arms would become covered in bird's eyes. Those privy to the rumors began calling Cecília the Todomeki, deriveing the name from a legendary demon of the same name that displayed similar aberrations.

Too escape the rumors and the idea that she may be cursed, Cecília requested that she be allowed to travel across the country and enter provinces not yet evangelized, on the grounds that a lone missionary would be able to pass borders more easily, and that she could warm the locals to the faith before more missionaries arrived. Lying that she was under the effects of a spiritual epiphany, Cecília was granted permission and set out. She is using the new freedom to drink, party, and sightsee, and otherwise draw her attention away from her problems, but sooner or later, the curse will catch up with her.

Why This Character?: I love history and mythology, and in particular, I love Japanese history and mythology, for the simple reason that it is extremely unique, defined by the fact that Japan is a small island with the capacity to open or close its borders at will. It switches between two extremes throughout history, at times being almost entirely closed-off and isolationist, and in the next era will voraciously absorb outside cultures and customs and ideas, integrating them into its own culture. Some of the most turbulent and fascinating encounters occur when the Portuguese are attempting to evangelize and trade with Japan. At first, Japan's borders are open... and then they close, and the Portuguese and all the converts to Christianity are persecuted. Religions - particularly when they clash - can bring out both the best and worst in people, and you can see both during this era of history.

Because this game is so inspired by East Asian - and particularly Japanese - culture and history, I want to take the opportunity to explore a clash of cultures, the meshing and interaction of opposed ideologies and ideas on faith, and play out the beautiful and ugly sides of religion, nationalism, and wanderlust.

Last edited by Miss Nomer; 02-12-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 727
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
I'm bumping this thread... because it deserves it.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9185
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posting interest
Old 02-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Name: Shiruk
Race: Tengu (Aarakocra)
Class: Monk (Kensei)
Background: Warrior Sense (CityWatch / investigator)

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Personality: There is little in this world that surprises me, from either creatures or humanoids. Shiruk is a member of the Tengu Clan. He was born into exile with his people, and has only lived hidden from the world as punishment for perceived crimes against the empire. He was raised amongst the wilderness’ dangers. Where others were defenseless newborns, he was forced to fend off and hide from some of the most fearsome monstrosities known in the land, including from his own clan. Shiruk prizes observation over interaction upon first meetings. It’s proven his survival.

There is a drive to not only survive, but reject the dominance of others. There has only ever been outsiders to Shiruk. The Tengu have not welcomed anyone outside their clan since their exile, and as such, Shiruk’s newfound status as an outsider without a home now forces him to adapt to this new situation if he hopes to survive, but more than that, if he is able to seek vengeance.
Appearance: Shiruk stands at 6’3” tall, with a curved, sharp beak, broad wings (wingspan of roughly 12 feet when fully outstretched), muscular upper torso, and sharp talons, with piercing yellow eyes. His plumage consists of black feathers with some blue accents cover his entire body, his chest and some wingtips have bluish grey accents which can be seen under his clothing.

Shiruk wears no armor, only wearing trousers of layered, loose clothing to not impede movement, but keeps some of his body insulated against the chill of the air when flying. A sheathed longsword rests at his back between his wings, while he uses a Qiang as his primary form of defense during his bodyguard duties. His clothing is similarly dark to his feathers, making him appear as a shadow even in the brightest of daytimes.

Backstory: They came on the eve of the Dragon’s fall, with black clouds, silken cloaks, and the smell of death on the seaward breeze. Requesting parley, the normally reclusive Tengu Clan granted them audience, and all came to hear what the strangers had to say. They foretold a great victory over the Dragon Emperor, a new order to these lands, and they sought the Tengu Clan to join the fight on their side, knowing the Dragon Emperor has exiled their clan centuries prior.

What they did not know, is that while the Tengu Clan had been exiled, and they were no longer the trusted advisors or elite soldiers of the Emperor, they still had their honor. The Emperor exiled them, he did not eradicate them. Garuda, their legendary leader of the clan, almost brother to the Dragon Emperor, remained loyal, and committed seppuku to maintain honor of his clan, even in exile.

They were loyal to the Dragon Emperor, even if they could not advise as they once did. They would not betray their honor. So the emissaries of the Black Ships committed their first massacre of their onslaught with the decimation of the Tengu Clan.

Shiruk was young, still in training of the ways of the warrior, but his mentor, Keeruk, knew enough about what was about to happen, and took his pupil with him to evade the invaders. It was not merely the emissaries who arrived, for their Clan’s village, high in the secluded mountains overlooking the jewel of Kohro, had clearly been invaded by elite soldiers of the black ships. Fighting to protect his pupil, Keeruk fended off the overwhelming number of attackers and did the only thing he could think to do: he threw Shiruk from the monastery parapet, and the young Tengu plummeted through the clouds to the fast approaching ground below.

Knowing what his master intended, Shiruk dodged incoming arrows, but not too much, and began to spin as though hit once he fell through the clouds, and when he was certain he was out of sight, he spread his wings and fled.

It was weeks of traversing the lush jungles and forests of Tenka, traveling as far from the capital and bay as he could with only his training to rely on for survival. Eventually he’d make his way to a village, and steal some grain and vegetables to replenish his strength. His form would be alarming to most, and he’d have to make his way to another city, large enough that his unique physiology would not hamper his goal: to get stronger, and seek vengeance upon the death cowls, as he’d come to understand them.

Over the years, he’d travel from the cities of one Daimyo or another, until he eventually arrived in the lands ruled by Adachi Kanehira. For whatever reason, this Daimyo above all others seemed to accept an eclectic mix of mortals, kami, and yokai.

Shiruk had gained a reputation around the town as a mercenary of sorts, mostly helping whoever couldn’t afford a ronin or bounty hunter. His nickname around the town was “The Tengu”, an irony that no one believed he was a true Tengu from legend, but instead just stuck as a nickname.

A tournament was being organized by the Daimyo, an opportunity for steady work protecting the Daimyo’s son. The pay was good, but it was difficult to find a fighter worthy of spirit and skill. Tired of barely paying for a stable at an inn, Shiruk decided to compete, and it quickly became apparent that the fighter was more than just an imposing figure.

Having won the tournament, Adachi Kanehira offered the job of personal bodyguard to his son, Adachi Raito, who was a few years younger than Shiruk.

Despite… some differences in personality, Shiruk eventually grew to see Raito as a younger brother, and the task which he sought to simplify his life only seemed to make it harder. Shiruk still needed to become stronger, for while he had seemingly found a place in this world, his heart desired vengeance beyond anything else.

Why This Character? (OOC): I’m really quite interested in the world building aspect of this world. There’s a lot I find interesting about Japanese folklore and mythology, as well as Chinese, as much of the roots start there. I think this game has a lot of potential to explore the political tensions of the world, and it would be cool to see that aspect form our characters perspective. I’ve always wanted to play an Aarakocra Kensei Monk for a long time. Potentially dipping into grave cleric for flavor, but mostly I want to move around the battlefield and be an awesome ninja/samurai!

Last edited by MontageManiac; 02-13-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1486
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Yume's application is now complete! Please enjoy reading about my weirdo, headache riddled, rogue.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 339
Therru Therru Therru Therru
Thanks everyone for your continuing support - and for applying! I've made my decision, and the new deadline for application is Wednesday the 19th of February. I've alerted those whose applications are in progress, and am hoping that this leaves enough time for everybody to get something up (and/or to finish tinkering with what they've already posted), without us having to wait two whole weeks longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
WHAM! What's that? Vaguely Eastern-inspired rocks fall, you all die. Reroll.
You're right to be suspicious - many brave shinobi gave their lives to uncover this glimpse of the party's first major puzzle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfTheHeart View Post
Yume's application is now complete! Please enjoy reading about my weirdo, headache riddled, rogue.
I will!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:56 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 177
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
An eastern setting huh, don't mind me, just gonna put a placeholder here.

Warning! My character's a dwarf from the north so this app will probably be rejected. ;p
Sven Durnson
Name: Sven Durnson
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Forge Cleric
Background: Soldier
Alignment: Sven is a pretty reckless person, bordering on chaotic but knows honor and respect. He follows the will of Moraddin, making him reserved and help others in need but can also be a ruthless individual on races that has wronged his kind.
Personality:Sven's obvious personality trait is his unswerving loyalty to Moradin. Straightforward and stalwart, he approaches life with an uncompromising attitude that can sometimes mask his essentially decent nature. When not furthering his deity's aims in the world, he enjoys a good brew and loud stories of the ancestors. He hates goblins, orcs, trolls, giants, and obviously elves just cause it's in his blood and every dwarf never forgets what they did to them. However he can compromise his hate for them if they prove to be beneficial.
Appearance:
right-aligned image
I am a dwarven smith damnit.

Sven is short but immensity wide, a solid mass of muscle. His black hair and beard are braided and stand out stiffly from his ruddy head. Sven wears chainmail, and carries a heavy shield strapped across his back. His shoulder armor piece carries the face of Moradin, and a symbol is also worn on the chainmail. The clothes he wears when not in battle are of good quality but nondescript.
Backstory: Sven lived in his early life in a sheltered dwarven island called the Forger's Triangle, a place that's next to the north and eastern continent, and a place where fishermen dare not travel due to dangerous storms surrounding it, only the dwarves now how to leave and enter this island hellscape. Sven specifically lived in one of the semi-isolated mountain chains in the triangle, his life was idyllic for a dwarf. The triangle was largely self sufficient with the few needs they had satisfied by occasional dwarven traders from across the world who were among the few who were aware of the dwarf hold. The Forger's Triangle also have so many secrets, and there was plenty of opportunity to appreciate the splendor of the earth and the creation of beautiful works from it's natural treasures. Until the attack came. You see, long ago this settlement was founded by blacksmiths of Moraddin where they reppelled the creatures that lived their, but what they didn't know was that they were waiting for over thousands of years, making alliances with other forces that hated the dwarves and told them ways how to pass the storms, and now was the time to strike. Monstrous assailants rose from the dark, the storms cleared out of the triangle where hordes of orcs and giants sail across the sea and sky, tearing through the settlement before the inhabitants had time to react. The attack was repelled, but only at great cost. From that day Sven Durnson knew that his calling would be to find a new settlement, so he took the rite to become a cleric of Moraddin and become a Forger( Forger's are just blacksmiths, that are also militia, healers and explorers) so that his clan could restore their former life safe in the knowledge that they and others were seeking new lands to either conquer or to stake their claim. To this end, his heard of the land of Tenka is in disarray, probably in need of leadership, specifically a dwarven leadership.
Why This Character? (OOC): I mostly pick this guy out cause well, I mostly wanna play as a foreign character in a different setting, that and everyone is probably going all the way Japanese, just gonna add in some diversity. I enjoy a bit of roleplay challenge, I think this guy will have some challenges coming up for him in this strange land.

Last edited by GoombaJosh; 02-11-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 177
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
And done, I regret nothing, feedback is much appreciated. ;p
Old 02-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 591
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star

Last edited by The Dark Star; Yesterday at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 325
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Old 02-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
Application complete! Feedback welcome if any!
Old 02-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 727
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therru View Post
Thanks everyone for your continuing support - and for applying! I've made my decision, and the new deadline for application is Wednesday the 19th of February.
I think that's very wise. You already have enough quality applications to run two campaigns!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 352
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Just a note that I added a couple of lines to Raito’s backstory to include a collaboration with MontageManiac. I also had a question, in the Empire, at what age is a human considered a legal adult?
Old 02-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 339
Therru Therru Therru Therru
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoombaJosh View Post
Warning! My character's a dwarf from the north so this app will probably be rejected. ;p
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoombaJosh View Post
And done, I regret nothing
This is the dwarfiest thing I've ever read. RPXP for somehow managing to apply in-character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucius View Post
Just a note that I added a couple of lines to Raito’s backstory to include a collaboration with MontageManiac. I also had a question, in the Empire, at what age is a human considered a legal adult?
Thanks! Probably somewhere between 15 and 20, depending on social status, family and economic pressures, and uh... physical size. Historically speaking the age of majority may often have been even lower than this, but I've never quite been able to wrap my head around the phenomenon of 16-year-old warlords.

Also, @everyone - feel free to update, tinker with, or completely rewrite your applications at any point up until the deadline; I've been reading them to get a feel for your characters and the emerging setting (and for fun), but I'll give everyone's final drafts a proper look with the freshest eyes I can get my hands on. If you'll forgive the slightly disgusting mixed metaphor.