DnD5e Eberron: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6433
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
As someone who played in said game with Still Pond, I felt bad watching the struggle over trying to find ways to get stuff for spells ^_^; there is a fine line, I suppose.

Still makes a good point! So, I'll agree lol

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 02-06-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:55 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41274
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Oh Great and Powerful DM, what's your preference for background details and NPCs if the idea is to have someone in a smaller village than is on the map? Shall I just make something up or leave it open for you to place where it might suit you/the game? I don't really think the specifics matter on my end for the particular location I have in mind (context below), so if it could make for a useful pin in your mental map of the game, I can leave it open-ended.

Context: Breya was found floating down the River Brey, which on the map doesn't seem to have any nearby towns or villages. It makes sense to me that there's probably a town on either side of the River Brey bridge, and then probably smaller villages as well for those who fish/use the river for their livelihood.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2444
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Yeah, 5e is pretty cheap on tresures. Starting at high levels in 3.5 & Pathfinder, you just look to see your level xp and take the cost and spend away, but 5e, you're only allowed 2 to 4 things, depending on your level.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3073
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Regarding equipment, I feel that most character concepts will work with basic equipment at 3rd level, but some would have problems. For example Warlock Hexblades and Valor Bards that really want armor and shield that they can't really afford. Lightly armored people that start with a leather armor also benefit quite a bit from at least getting a studded leather armor.

One thing I've seen done when starting at 2nd or 3rd level is to look at the rolling for gold option and letting the PCs start with the equivalent of a max roll. That gives people enough for arms and armor, holy symbols and components, but not much more than that.

I'm fine with whatever the DM decides. A bard doesn't really need that much gear. But playing a character that specializes in two-weapon fighting and not being able to start with a pair of swords sort of calls for a creative way to start the game where the character just recently lost his pretty elven swords...

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:30 PM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2982
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
Just figured I'd add my two coppers to the conversation...

I kind of love playing in campaigns where gold feels tight, and there are constant pressures/expenses on your resources. Daily cost of living expenses, equipment upkeep and restocking, all of that. And the pay you get is just enough to cover the difference. That kind of gritty bounty hunter/detective/down and dirty adventuring campaign has always appealed to me.

When success in the next score might be enough to buy access to that next tier of armor, but failure means dinner is just some leftover cold turnips. It makes saving up enough for a big deal item like full plate feel epic and earned. I do recognize this kind of game isn't for everyone though.

If you want a bit more power fantasy in your power fantasy there are good creative gold sinks that could be just as required to function at a higher level without going down the grittier living hand to mouth type of game. Activities like base building or reputation/title acquisition can have a meaningful impact on the way the party approaches the game, and the way the world reacts to them. Those kinds of things can add a real sense of personal impact.

One way a DM I play with manages the issue with our wizard is to reward GP equivalent value in "magical inks, quills and parchments" as part of the payment from our employer/fixer, in order to give the wizard a chance to fill in their spellbook a bit, while also limiting the amount of free gold just floating around party.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21995
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
^ I agree.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Breya is complete as far as her own story and mechanical outline are concerned. Two NPCs are coming, and I'm debating whether to include others, since she probably has contacts in a bunch of places being both House Medani and traveling bard.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:37 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7354
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Complete, though I wish I would have chosen a different scene for the roleplay and I may redo it before the deadline (just the roleplay scene). Let me know how it looks Unko.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2417
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Application's complete!

One thing I'm still unsure about is languages, though- in addition to common, my character can speak any one language. And I have no idea which would suit her- I wrote down dwarvish, because her NPC best friend is a dwarf, but I was wondering if there is anything more appropriate I can take instead? Since Shelly is big on magical research, I'd like for her to know a language which reflects that- teaching herself to understand ancient lore. Draconic would be the best language for that in regular D&D, but I don't know how well that translates to Eberron. Giant also seems like a good option, and Daelkyr might also be interesting (and very appropriate to this campaign, I'd think!). Anyway, if you could give me some suggestions, I'd be grateful!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:08 AM
Confused and confounded
Outplay 2011  

Outplay 2013  

Outplay 2014

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26626
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
Application's complete!

One thing I'm still unsure about is languages, though- in addition to common, my character can speak any one language. And I have no idea which would suit her- I wrote down dwarvish, because her NPC best friend is a dwarf, but I was wondering if there is anything more appropriate I can take instead? Since Shelly is big on magical research, I'd like for her to know a language which reflects that- teaching herself to understand ancient lore. Draconic would be the best language for that in regular D&D, but I don't know how well that translates to Eberron. Giant also seems like a good option, and Daelkyr might also be interesting (and very appropriate to this campaign, I'd think!). Anyway, if you could give me some suggestions, I'd be grateful!
From what I've read about Eberron while researching Kassia's background, culture and geography usually trumps race. So if you are a dwarf raised in Breland, chances are you might not even know Dwarven. So you might consider neighbouring countries before choosing a language, rather than chose Dwarven because its what Dwarves usually speak. The only place where Dwarven is the main language is in the Mror Holds.

As Kassia is Brelish, I've chosen Goblin as a secondary language. Drooam is the next door neighbor (and relatively close to Sharn, all things considering) and Goblin is the main language there.

Last edited by Thorsten; 02-07-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11350
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Okay, back to it! Posting now to answer questions. Later will deal with feedback, assuming I have the time today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
[Discusses Wealth philosophy in DnD5E]
It seems like there's a bit of a diversity of opinion here. For now, if you're working up the mechanics, make your characters based on the idea of no additional wealth. After selection, there will be at least a couple of days of squaring everything away, making sure character sheets are good, discussing any feelings on house rules, etc. During that time, we can work out how the party feels about wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera
what's your preference for background details and NPCs if the idea is to have someone in a smaller village than is on the map?
Sorry I didn't get to this before you finished! I'm entirely okay with inventing towns, etc. If I see something in your lore that gives me pause, I'll bring it up in feedback and try to work with you make us both happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon
... though I wish I would have chosen a different scene for the roleplay...
Not a question, but I just wanted to emphasize a couple of things here, in case people have missed them.
  1. The RP sample is certainly not required. As I said, I probably won't look at it much, as I think that RP samples aren't very representative of how game posts usually go. But feel free to make one if it will help you find the character's voice! That's what I use them for when applying to games.
  2. You can feel free to use the examples I gave, or invent your own. I only included a few scenarios in case someone needed a launching point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer
One thing I'm still unsure about is languages, though- in addition to common, my character can speak any one language. And I have no idea which would suit her- I wrote down dwarvish, because her NPC best friend is a dwarf, but I was wondering if there is anything more appropriate I can take instead?
You can choose any language you like, of course. Yes, Giant would be very magically-appropriate in Eberron, as would Draconic. I'll also allow this (an idea stolen from ruffdove)-- you can choose to leave additional/bonus languages as "TBD", and decide throughout the game that you know language [X], so long as there's a reasonable justification (permanent once chosen). It can be difficult to decide which languages are most appropriate for a character, and gaining language proficiencies in 5E is much harder than in earlier editions. You are, of course, free to make the selection now if you want.

Also, I think that Thorsten is right with languages in Eberron. I think it's a good approach to languages in any DnD game, honestly. Language isn't genetic, and should depend a lot more on the character's backstory than on their specific race.

Updating the FAQ and then, if/when I have time, giving feedback on apps.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 02-07-2020, 11:43 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
Re: languages - Rising from the Last War did give racial languages, Unko... should we not go with those? Also, if there are languages by country, does "Common" not apply across the whole continent (at least)?

And no worries about answering before I finished Breya. Her character sorta laid itself out for me, so I'm just working up more details on the NPCs you requested.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 687
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Complete and requesting feedback!

Ren Squirrel-HerderAre you new?: To DnD5E or Eberron? New to Eberron but not new to D&D 5E.
If new to Eberron: I have been reading over the wiki and can say that this setting is very interesting! Just the amount of planes that they have is awesome and, as a horizon walker would love the idea of having to travel to or have something to do with a major player within one of those planes. Also love the idea of exploring the ancient kingdoms of the giants that had been exterminated and their relics left there, now covered in forests, Xen'drik it's called. But overall, if there are demons, fey, deities that need a lesson in manners, then Ren is going to fit nicely in to this world.

Name: Ren Squirrel-Herder
Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Revised Ranger with Class Feature Variants (Horizon Walker)
Background: Noble

Backstory and Goals: Ren was born to a wealthy family that lived within the woods of the Aundair, a tree filled town known as Elandora, it was a beautiful mix of technology and magic. His family were rangers that specialized in fighting creatures of the other planes. They were hired from all around Eberron to fight them when local authorities could not, including aiding the Dragonmarked houses and had a good relationship with most of them. As their reputation grew, others came to the town to learn their trade or to join in training others. Together they had made Elandora an ideal academy ground for others who wished to learn such skills and become master rangers.

Gnomes, mostly known for their innovation and sensitivity to magic made for excellent Horizon Walkers, their natural resistance to magic made it tough for them to attack and their use for speaking to small wild animals made it easy for them to hunt. His family had been in the practice for centuries, not long after the great migration of his ancestors from Thelanis, and to think, before then, they were simple squirrel herders.

During the war, Ren, his family and those that lived and trained in the town were bought to fight for them when it involved planar creatures. Those that were not trained enough, but sought adventure left the academy in search for glory and fought in the Shadow Marches. Those with completed training, were hired to fight in the mines with the dwarves in Mror Holds, attacking the demons that had claimed land in the underground.

Ren and his family, chose to venture to aid their fellow gnomes, helping them become the nation of Zilargo. Ren with his training made for a good scout for the gnomish armies, but was kept out of any major battles because of his youth. The war was long and the family, as well as the academy, had stretched themselves very thin. Many were lost during this war, sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

Ren and seven others were the only ones that survived from Elandora, and the town that his family had created had been burned to the ground by forces they could not clearly detect or point a finger at. They were acknowledged for their acts during the war, rewarded nicely, given titles and badges. The first given to Ren was a medal that had his families crest on it, it was from his father who died, it was requested to be given to Ren as his last, dying words. The other was a medal for his bravery and skills, the gnome and his remaining family accepted the medals and were allowed to leave.

The seven that were left were his love, Jae, his uncle Doren, his twin older brother and sister Faren and Garen, Jaska, a friend of the family as well as Loke, Maren and Beda who were training within the town. Those that did not have a relationship with the family took off, where to, he did not know. His family, and loved one chose to continue fighting, even if it wasn't the Daelkyr. They joined the Clifftop Adventurer's Guild because it seemed that the guild was doing good things, and took in many lost soldiers who no longer had a home. The family put most of their wealth into the guild to make sure that there was enough space for all the new recruits, making sure that they were all welcome.

His days of training were over, his time now consisted of checking in with his loved one, Jae at the guild, as well as the rest of his family. After a drink or two, they find out what they are assigned and then go on with their day completing whatever the guild asked of them. They would then return to the guild, celebrate with whoever was there and continue on with their lives. If someone from the family was assigned to a longer mission they would send letters or leave notes at the guild to let them know what was going on. They all remain close to this day and hope to one day, under the leadership of the guild, to build a new academy to train rangers in their arts, as well as start families and die of old age, or die doing what they love.

Recently, Ren has found himself in the spires of Sharn, he had just completed a mission of disposing of a small band of drug dealers that were spreading a hallucinogen around the lower class people. It made some of them mad, and was reaching the higher classes and had become a concern to the authorities their, with their relationship with the guild they dispatched a number of men with Ren to find them and end the ring. Before they broke it up, they had met a man who was high on the drug, he began to speak of the ancient evil that lurked under them, something about them coming back, but he then reacted like he saw something, something horrifying. He had a heart attack and died in his bed, the look frozen on his face.

Ren decided to stay in Sharn for a little longer, to have some time to himself, see the city of spires and have some fun before he went back to the guild. After sending his letter and receiving the approval from the guild he had been on a tour of the taverns there, having drinks and meeting the people that lived there.

Goals:
- To hunt rare and dangerous creatures from the other planes.
- To one day build an academy through the guild and continue to train others in his families ways.
- To settle down with Jae, become strictly a teacher, have a family and die of old age.
- To contribute to his friends and family as best he can and keep their bond strong with each other.

Optional:

Character Sheet:

Appearance Description: Hard to find a gnome ranger haha, so a description would better be in order.

Roleplaying sample:

Last edited by The Dark Star; 02-11-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11350
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera
Re: languages - Rising from the Last War did give racial languages, Unko... should we not go with those? Also, if there are languages by country, does "Common" not apply across the whole continent (at least)?
Apologies if I'm being unclear! I'm a bit sick, and possibly a bit dopey from the DayQuil.

For now, go with standard language rules and selection (with the one caveat of any bonus/optional language choices-- you can choose those or leave them as TBD). After selection, if you think that one of the languages your character has doesn't make sense with their background, we can discuss and possibly change it.

Common applies across the whole continent, so no worries about changing that. I think Thorsten's comments about language selection based on nationality was referring to the fact that some language selection makes more sense in certain countries. E.g. if your country fought goblinoids a lot, you would probably want to choose goblin as a language, if you could.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Confused and confounded
Outplay 2011  

Outplay 2013  

Outplay 2014

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26626
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
I think Rising from the Last War actually was the place I read the whole Culture > Race bit. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Page 6 at the bottom. Under "Languages":

Quote:
In Eberron languages reflect culture and geography: A dwarf raised in Breland might not know Dwarvish, but a halfling raised in Mror Holds might. The historical development of languages and cultures also explains the scripts used to write various languages. For example, the Orc language is written using Goblin script (rather than Dwarvish as stated in the Players Handbook), because the orcs of Khorvaire learned writing from the goblins.
There's a lost more written in that section - including a table of standard languages based on the main countries that use them. Its an interesting read, really. Especially if you have an interest in understanding the cultural background of a lot of the countries in Khorvaire (and how much Giant and Goblin actually affects still).

But yeah, my comment was referring to how certain languages might make more sense to you based on where you are from (and what neighbours they have), rather than who you know now. It is, of course, completely up to the player to determine what is the right choice for his/her character

Last edited by Thorsten; 02-07-2020 at 12:32 PM.