DnD5e Eberron: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14897
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Based on what Thorsten has just posted (I recall that section now that it's shown to me again):

If you absolutely positively *have* to fill out the languages on your character sheet right now, please use the standard rules in the PHB (with the caveat listed in the FAQ). When we start the game, accepted players can request changes in their languages based on background, nationality, culture, etc, and we will discuss.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45487
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Thanks for clarifying! I haven't read the entire rulebook, so I hadn't gotten to that bit.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3504
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Sorry if my question caused any confusion! Basically, what I meant was that, as a Warforged, my character can speak Common and "one other language of my choice". Since she was built in Cere (where Common was prevalent), and has spent her years serving in the Brelish military (where Common is the main language, I'd assume), I didn't really have an obvious language she would've picked up over the years (like, say, a Brelish merchant who has contacts in Zilargo would have). But she did spend the past two years poring over ancient lore as part of her research. I was merely wondering if there was any go-to language for arcane lore.

I completely agree with Thorsten and the approach in Eberron, by the way- language should be based on background, not race. I once played a Tiefling who was raised by Gnomes, so I made sure he knew Gnomish or at the very least, I came up with a reason why he would've learned Infernal laterinstead of Infernal.

As for which language Shelly gets... I'm gonna hold off for a bit- provided she gets selected for the game, I'll choose either Giant or Draconic, based on what languages the other party members speak, if that's alright .

Regarding wealth... For now Shelly just needs some extra tools. Honestly I'm not too concerned- I played Warhammer Fantasy RPG, so I'm used to charging greater demons with and maybe a leather codpiece, if you're feeling like dressing extra fancynaught but a sharp wooden stick .

Also get well soon, Unko!

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 02-07-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Can anyone tell me where House Tarkanan is? I don't know if they have an outpost like the official Dragonmarked houses, or just the home of their founder, or what. It's not a critical detail, really, but I couldn't find any references to it in Rising from the Last War.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Confused and confounded
Outplay 2011  

Outplay 2013  

Outplay 2014

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29101
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Can anyone tell me where House Tarkanan is? I don't know if they have an outpost like the official Dragonmarked houses, or just the home of their founder, or what. It's not a critical detail, really, but I couldn't find any references to it in Rising from the Last War.
Google says Sharn
Old 02-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7992
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
House Tarkanan (The house for aberrant dragonmarked) was based in Sharn, but I do not believe there has been any mention of it in 5E yet.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 02-07-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2932
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
Google says Sharn
https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/House_Tarkanan
Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
Anyone know where within Sharn?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4039
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Anyone know where within Sharn?
If you go by Rising from the Last War, it seems as if House Tarkanan is included with the "criminal activities" in Sharn, which would make it likely based in either Lower Dura or The Cogs (p. 179).

Last edited by BinnFord; 02-07-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:44 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Okay, finally getting to feedback. Oof, today has been a doozy! Some questions that have come up in the interim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera
Can anyone tell me where House Tarkanan is?
Because House Tarkanan is a criminal organization, its headquarters are not generally known. That said, it's canon that their headquarters is a Mansion in Dragon Towers (Middle Central Plateau) (Sharn City of Towers, pg45). Note that, even as criminal organizations go, these are bad dudes, doing dirty work that the Boromars traditionally refused to, such as Assassination.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4039
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
...it's canon that their headquarters is a Mansion in Dragon Towers (Middle Central Plateau) (Sharn City of Towers, pg45).
Excellent. Thanks for this, just for general knowledge. I have some things to re-read!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
I had to go digging for that tidbit! I think there's a strong implication that the organization is decentralized. There are probably safehouses and strongholds throughout Sharn (and beyond). But that's where the head honcho is said to live... unless that's not the real leader of the Tarkanans!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8660
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3504
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!

Tools
User Statistics
I added the answers to your questions at the end of my app post so all Breya's info stays in one spot. Also added Library of Korranberg to my list of places/things I'd like to see in the game if possible/eventually.

Given the decentralized nature of Tarkanan as you've laid it out, my writing sample doesn't work quite as well (there's no "walk up and knock on their door"), but I think it still provides insight to Breya, so I'll leave it as is.