DnD5e Eberron: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11350
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
One week down! There's still plenty of time to put up an app, for anyone considering.

Another reminder to the 5 who are still a WIP-- if you think your app is complete, please label it as completed so I know. If you're not complete but still want feedback, please make a post to let me know.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 02-09-2020, 01:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2444
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
oh boy!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:02 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41274
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
17 complete apps in a week when the deadline was specifically three weeks... Unko got game!

Does that qualify as "overwhelming" interest? Just curious if you're considering moving up the deadline at all.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 687
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
I have completed my app and is ready for some feedback.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tranquil
Very intrigued. I’m new to the site and was waiting for a game I think I would enjoy committing to, and this definitely looks like it. Reading that you are welcoming new members is gladdening.

I wanted to ask about a character concept as it would fit in Eberron. It seems to me that necromancy in Eberron is generally blood-powered raising of undead. What I have in mind was something different, a necromancer that views life and death as two sides of a coin, who deals with spirits rather than skeletons, and heals as often as casting necromancy spells. Naturally, the end of that path would be True Resurrection rather than lichdom.

Would such character work in the magical/planar/cycle-of-souls canon of Eberron?

On a related note, characters with the ability to see the non-departed spirits, or always dreams of the plane of the dead, would these be a possible character caveat?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera
Does that qualify as "overwhelming" interest? Just curious if you're considering moving up the deadline at all.
I was considering it, but I think I'm going to let the deadline stand for now. I've gotten some additional interest in this thread and out. And the extra time lets me do just a *little* more prep-work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil
Would such character work in the magical/planar/cycle-of-souls canon of Eberron?

On a related note, characters with the ability to see the non-departed spirits, or always dreams of the plane of the dead, would these be a possible character caveat?
Hey, Tranquil! I think that we could definitely make this kind of character work well with Eberron. I'll note some things that come to mind which are related to your questions/concept. I think that a character like yours could fit into one of these categories, but a Tairnadal religious leader or Talenta Shaman probably works best. If I have any of the lore wrong, I'm sure someone will come around to correct me.

Tairnadal Elf: This elven culture worships their ancestors. Most have a patron ancestor who they emulate as best they can-- e.g. one elf's patron might be "The Silent Blade" and that elf becomes an assassin, while another's patron might be "The Wanderer" and that elf constantly travels, never staying in one inn for more than a night, etc. Their religion believes that by emulating these ancestor spirits, they keep those spirits alive and here on earth. Their religious leaders are known as The Keepers of the Past, and they divine for each elf that comes of age which ancestor spirit has chosen them (for the spirit chooses the elf, not the other way). While these speakers are often bards, I'm happy to let that be any class. I think this falls really well within your concept-- an elven religious leader who dreams of the spirits, who communicates with them... who can, perhaps, even summon them temporarily to aid him and his allies. This character would *almost certainly* be an elf, though. (this post talks a lot about the two major elven faiths, and you could find more info there. It's written by Keith Baker, the creator of the setting.)

Talenta Halfling: Most of the setting books are a bit vague here. But the Halflings of the Talenta Plains are a nomadic group whose religion is a mix of ancestor worship, revering of primal spirits, with a bit of some of the common gods (like the Sovereign Host) sprinkled in. Many of them believe that everything has a spirit associated with it. This is less tied to the undead as you're suggesting, but could work. Particularly if your character is mostly focused on / interested in the spirits of the dead. Some of your fellows might think that you are fringe or morbid, but I think you would fit in just fine. This could certainly be a halfling, or it could be some other race who has interacted with / lived with the nomads if you like. (There's a little more info buried in this post)

Aerenal Elf: The Arenal Elves also worship their ancestors... but those ancestors are corporeal undead powered by positive energy. Your character concept could work with this group, but you would probably be seen as a bit of an oddball or heretic if you were speaking with / summoning the spirits of elves who have truly died and passed, rather than the existing undead ancestors who walk among you. Again, this character would almost certainly be an elf. (this post talks a lot about the two major elven faiths, and you could find more info there. It's written by Keith Baker, the creator of the setting.)

The Blood of Vol: This is a religious belief (hated by most elves for historical reasons) that believes the gods are at best nonexistent and at worst malicious beings who allows mortals to be condemned to death. They believe that there is a divine spark within us all, and that we can avoid the terrible fate that death has waiting for us by grasping at that power and fulfilling our potential. It's not an inherently evil religion, but it has associations with undead-- it sees these undead as mortals that failed to reach their potential and avoid a terrible fate... but now they walk the earth again to help others. while the Blood of Vol's association with undead is mostly Corporeal, Intelligent undead, it could work with spirits-- but they might be seen as heretical, even within this religion. I would be more hesitant about this because playing a Blood of Vol necromancer would likely lean towards evil, and might take us down towards parts of the world that I don't want to be a major focus... But if it really appeals to you, we can talk and see if we can make it work. This could be of almost any race, though an elf would be unlikely, and somewhat odd. (This post talks a bit about that religion.)

Other Religious Belief / Cult of the Dragon Below: If none of the above appeals to you, maybe there's a small religion/arcane tradition that's not very well known in the world that you could invent. Or you could be a member of one of the many and varied Cults of the Dragon Below (a general name given to small cults that worship dark forces, but aren't themselves necessarily evil). If this seems best to you, again, lets talk and see if we can't work something out.

Last edited by Unko Talok; 02-09-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:17 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
Tranquil
Wow, much appreciate the detailed information on the various necromancy-related groups.

I've been constructing a series of backstory events trying to come up with a necromancer that would work well within an adventuring group. Reading that you have hesitance toward Blood of Vol necromancers give me some worry, but I venture a guess that your hesitance might not apply to my character, since at the time of story start the character will not have ties with Blood of Vol, and will not raise any undead. Would you mind reviewing the following list of events and let me know if this would not be in line with what you had in mind for this game's direction?
  • Karrnath employs Blood of Vol necromancers in the War. Martial-minded traditionalists do not like this practice, but considers it a necessity. As the war prolongs into generations, it is agreed that education of next-generation necromancers is a worthy pursuit and a few necromancy schools are erected.
  • Aundair neighbors Karrnath and the two nations have had countless battles. Thus, Aundarians detest necromancy.
  • In a small mountain town in Aundair, close to the Aundair-Karrnath border but too remote to be of strategic value, the character is born. During adolescence, the character's mother dies and, to the father's shock, the character manifests inherent power and animates the body or calls the mother's dead spirit. Something goes wrong and it is a very traumatic event.
  • Due to Aundair's generations-long hatred of necromancy, the character becomes estranged by the father and the others of the village.
  • Rumours of the the character's necromantic deed reaches Karrnathian border and they invest troops to conquer and occupy the character's village.
  • The character gets conscripted into a Karrnathian necromancy school to learn necromancy spells useful in war.
  • Whether due to trauma or other issue, the character doesn't do well in raising undead classes. Doesn't fit in.
  • The character meets a mentor in the necromancy school. The mentor is a necromancer that is different from other teachers in the school, as his teaching of necromancy is a bit different (less blood, less raising undead corporeal or incorporeal, more focus on balance, positive energy + negative energy, souls, divinity in everyone).
  • Five years pass. War ends. Karrnath severs ties with Blood of Vol. Karrnath makes a treaty to close down necromancy school.
  • School closes and the character follows the mentor to Sharn. Mentor wants to do some serious research in the city's libraries. Mentor tells character that since the character's power is inherent, best way to learn is to adventure and learn in the field, and returning back to the mentor when the character has questions. Character joins Clifftop Adventuring Guild.

The character wouldn't be evil, just half healing spells and half necromantic spells without any raising undead. (Of course, being propaganda-educated in a necromancy-favoring war magic school tends to make the character hold a few unconventional beliefs.) I was thinking either a grave cleric or a divine soul sorcerer as a mechanical chassis.

The last thing I would want to do is submit a character that's not appropriate for what the DM has in mind for the game at hand, so I wanted to check with you before adding the details to this character idea. I'd very much appreciate review & feedback.

Last edited by Tranquil; 02-09-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2248
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
I've finished tweaking my application so it is now complete. Thanks for putting this game out there. Everyone's applications look amazing.

EDIT: I'm always open to feedback, but I know how hectic opening a new game can be so the app can stand as-is if need be.

Last edited by Quick Ben; 02-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
Will try to read through what you've written soon, Tranquil! For the moment-- Feedback, as I find the time!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
Tranquil-- I've read over your proposed timeline. I think that the broad strokes of that character's background works. I think that there are a few bits of lore that aren't 100% correct-- e.g. I think that the Blood of Vol as a religion is still active in Karrnath, and that undead are still used and necromancy still practiced in the country. I can't be 100% sure because I don't have time to go check all the sources and be certain. But either way, we can make the backstory work (e.g. perhaps your mentor left with you to Sharn for other reasons). So feel free to go ahead!

Question: Would your character still have any ties to the Blood of Vol faith? You wouldn't need to be a cleric in the religion or the like (in Eberron, most church members and even church leaders aren't clerics). I would just want to get a sense of whether the whole "Divine Spark" aspect of the religion is something that speaks to your character or not.

Either way, bombs away on developing your app with that character!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:51 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 415
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama

Last edited by HotsuSama; 02-10-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
Tranquil
Thank you for the feedback. As for necromancy in Karrnath, I definitely agree with you. The religion seems to be in practice though many also do not like it. My timeline now that I read it again, I don’t know why I chose the words ‘severs ties with Blood of Vol’. Maybe I wanted to summarize it too short? What I had in mind was, during the treaties between nations after the Mourning, one of the clauses was that Karrnath closes down militaristic academy/schools whose sole purpose was to pump out next generation of war mages.

As for your question, yes on Divine Spark concept but no on the ‘faith’ part. The character, having been born with power, would be very skeptic about the faith portion. Due to the same reason, the character would find the Divine Spark theory very persuasive - that everyone has a smallest piece of divinity, but that they are buried by layers of tar, figuratively speaking. Therefore, bringing that spark would be the ultimate goal, but whereas Blood of Vol seem to select blood-giving as means of casting higher level spells, my character and the mentor would view zen/understanding/monk’s ki kind of approach, which would be why they have half healing magic and half necromancy, and why the mentor was not one of the in-groups in the necromancy school.

Still thinking on how fo make the life/death blended mage concept coherent and intuitive. Soul warden? Perhaps a 20th level goal would be to bring forth the cycle of souls (souls rebirthing) as opposed to a one way trip.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:16 PM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41274
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera

Last edited by Aethera; 02-10-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 687
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star

Last edited by The Dark Star; 02-11-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54915
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Withdrawn but not forgotten

Last edited by Sassafrass; Yesterday at 06:22 PM.