Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 239
Ermine Ermine Ermine
A Walk in the Park - a V20 story

Game NameA Walk in the Park - a V20 story
Game SystemWorld of Darkness
ThemePolitical struggles, survival, and vampiric hijinks
FlavourModerately dark, but with room for light, vampire story.
Plot Summary
right-aligned image
You are new to this world, a fledgling vampire in the last enclave of Anarchs in Jack City. You have no more than a week of being undead under your belt, and no real direction. Some would say you're free. Those people would be wrong.

While the Whether or not you learned what these groups are from your sire.Camarilla and Sabbat both have left your enclave alone so far, they are not known to do so for long. It's likely they're waiting for a moment of weakness to strike, or maybe they'll try more peaceful means. Whatever they do, you're likely to get caught in the middle of it.

It's a warm thursday night in the middle of August, perfect for your first ever meeting with the "They're only 7th generation Torreadors and less than 100 years dead, so hardly considered elders by most vampiric standards.elders" of your domain on the edge of the famous Bradley Park, in the heart of Jack City: an area generally referred to as the Arbor District. You've arrived in a limo driven by one of the elders' ghouls, Marie Entenman, and are told to wait for the elders to arrive.

Let's tell a vampire story.
Jack CityJack City is a fictional city, similar in many ways to Los Angeles or Seattle, but leaving a LOT of room for our own content. It is large enough to have almost everything a vampire could want, especially when it comes to food...

From the Arbor District to Downtown, Jack City is known for its rich history of industrialists and capitalists, with actual workers and inventors falling in there in some places, too. It has an abundant nightlife, with many bars and clubs, as well as the occasional diner.

The city has a world-renowned Arts District, and is also a hub of fashion. Many people (living and undead) from around the world flock to see the latest fashions, or the newest play, or the Kinku Art Museum's latest exhibit.

From there, it is easy to see the district known as The Hills, where the well-to-do have "modest" homes. This district is also known for being a setting of several big name movies, as there is a large film studio on the outer edge. It's also a home to Camarilla elders, and off-limits to you because of that fact, so as to not draw their attention and/or ire.

Expectations and InformationSYSTEM: Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary

PLAYERS: 4 to 6 players.

POSTING RATE: Minimum of 1 post per week, preferably 2-3.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 29th.

COMMITMENT: For as long as people are interested.

MATURITY LEVEL: This game will include some fairly mature subject matter (drugs, violence, etc.). Nothing gratuitous or against site policy (and if it ends up being so, it'll be changed as quickly as possible).

EXPERIENCE: Players new to the game are welcomed, but I could use some experienced players as well!

SOURCES: Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook, V20 Companion, Lore of the Bloodlines, Lore of the Clans, Anarchs Unbound, Rites of the Blood, Beckett's Jyhad Diary. I may be convinced to allow other sources.

Not that you should have reason to, but please no rolling dice in this thread.
CharactersWhat I'll expect in applications:
Name:
Age: Any age could be accepted, from teen to elderly. You are immortal, after all.
Clan: I'll allow any clan or bloodline except blood brothers and gargoyles. This includes dead clans and antitribu. The former is, of course, something that may have to be explained.
Goals: What are some of your goals now that you have time to worry about doing whatever you want?
Appearance: What do people see immediately?
Personality: This'll be a biggie, since I won't be asking for background until you're accepted and there are private game threads - I'll be asking you a LOT of questions in a "summary of session 0" style.
Stance on Humans: Are they friends or food?

Introduction: How do you introduce yourself to your new coterie? All you know is they were assigned to you, and this is the first time you've met. Feel free to make this as long or short as you want, from just saying your name then sitting in silence, to giving a long speech and gesturing wildly.

OOC: Why this character? What influenced your decision to make this character? What goals do you have for them (they don't have to match the goals the character has!)? What do you want to explore with them?

Last edited by Ermine; 02-14-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:33 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ermine Ermine Ermine
I've added more details, and plan on adding even more. I hope it's enough now to garner attention~
Old 02-07-2020, 11:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1085
mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous
I'm interested, for sure. I haven't cracked open my v20 book in quite a while, but I'll try to find time this weekend/next week to work out a character
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ermine Ermine Ermine
Good good. As long as there's at least one player, I'll still run this~

Last edited by Ermine; 02-08-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6123
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
I might be interested too. Just have to figure out the Character.

Question: What year is it in game? I assume 2020 but I figure I'd check.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:51 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Vailee Vailee Vailee Vailee Vailee
I was told it's current times. No specific year, just current.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ermine Ermine Ermine
^ That. Just a general "current times." Mainly to avoid going into the future.

Last edited by Ermine; 02-09-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
It was mentioned that we will have been embraced less then a week ago but could we have been our sire's Ghoul before that?
Old 02-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ermine Ermine Ermine
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
It was mentioned that we will have been embraced less then a week ago but could we have been our sire's Ghoul before that?
Absolutely.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
FYI for all my fellow Vamps, I was planning on doing a club owner type guy so if anyone wants to link their backgrounds and/or professions to that it would be pretty nice. We can discuss what type of club would work for everyone and what type of roles everyone would play. Having a common feeding ground like that is always a good way to rationalize a group staying together.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3075
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Songbird
right-aligned image

Name: Wren Aaron
Clan: Daughters of Cacophony

Goals: Wren is still driven by a need for her mother’s approval, although any woman of sufficient authority evokes the urge to impress within her. Proving herself worthy of her mother’s unattainable standards has always plagued Wren, even after she set out to make it on her own. Making a name for herself, a place for herself, even if only in Jack City’s music scene would do a great deal to satisfy that urge and mark the culmination of years of frustration and humiliation.

Appearance: A curvy, young brunette buried under layers of well-worn, often homemade, clothing and lacking the confidence needed to actually achieve her dreams. Lacking in a personal aesthetic, Wren tries to fit in everywhere, with everyone, but has failed at this for years. Always a cancelled gig away from living on the streets, Wren struggles to leave behind her shabby existence even when cleaned up and dressed to the nines for important events, lacking the confidence to pull off the facade of true style.

Personality: Shaped by her mother’s obsessive and abusive dream of training the perfect singer, Wren possesses an eclectic personality that affects almost every aspect of her life. An openness to everything leaves her unable to commit to a single thing more often than not, something that has plagued both her romantic life, as well as her professional life. Wren often changes to reflect the dominant personalities around her in subtle, and not-so-subtle, ways which leaves her adrift when those influences change or disappear. Quiet and soft spoken when not singing, she has a tendency to ‘disappear’ into the background at times and it is no big surprise to anyone that Wren never succeeded in the music industry despite her considerable talent.

Stance on Humans: Humans are an audience. Food is a necessity, and friends are nice to have, but art needs an audience and that’s what really matters. Everything else is secondary.

Introduction: Wren had been sitting there in silence for far too long since the limo had dropped her off, listening to the song, and she knew it. A chance to make a good first impression gone, and she had sorely wanted to make a good impression. Afterall, some of these people were big names in Jack City’s music scene; gatekeepers to everything she had ever wanted. She had spent sleepless nights thinking about what to say to these types of people if she ever had the chance to meet them, and right now, she was at a loss for words.

”I’m Wren,” she said in a soft tone, too soft she realized to even be heard as she brushed stray strands of hair behind her ear and spoke more clearly so that everyone could hear, ”Wren Aaron.”

If her heart still beat, it would have been pounding. She didn’t really belong here, did she? Running her eyes over the people assembled at the gathering, Wren felt the urge to flee so strong she almost stood up as doubts and fear began to cloud her reason. Why am I even… her thoughts trailed off as the tune returned and she began to quietly hum along as everyone else faded into the background.

OOC: Why this character? Full disclosure: I’ve had the book a few years, but have never played. Honestly, I didn’t even know this bloodline existed a week ago, but something about it appeals to me. Every VtM game that comes around, I struggle between Brujah and Ventrue with concepts that blur the lines between them, and never get around to applying. I find myself suddenly with a few less games and a desire to try something new. With characters so newly embraced there is going to be a good deal of uncertainty among them, and Wren is a character who has lived her whole life dealing with uncertainty.

Last edited by Starflier; 02-19-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added Character sheet (stolen from DemonSlayer's example)(Done for practice)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
Character Application
left-aligned image
Name: Vicenzo "Vic" Mathews
Born:August 5, 1977
Ghouled: March 12th, 2001 (Just under 24 years old)
Clan: Ventrue Background:

Personality:

Appearance: Vic can normally be found wearing a variety of stylish suits, albeit non-traditional ones with open collars, unusual (but subdued) colors, or at least loud ties. In this way he likes to express his individuality, even having several of his outfits custom made. On rare occasions he might wear something truly eye catching but it'll always be with a sauvé coolness he's known for.

General attitude towards being undead: 7/10 maybe an 8. Vic's always been more of a night person so that's not an issue and other then the people he works with or meets at the clubs he's never had many close relations. Sure, losing the ability to have sex and the hunger aren't great but there are ways to get around the worst of it. Why not enjoy it a little?

Opinion on Humans: Most people ain't worth more then the blood flowing through their veins but that doesn't mean they're all useless. There are more then enough who can show true loyalty and skill that they're worth having around. If they're willing to work with me and prove that worth then that's great but I ain't going to lose sleep over the sheeple who waste their lives.

Why this Character?
- As socially awkward as I am in real life I do enjoy playing more charismatic character who have a little more happening behind the scenes then normal.
- I'm a bit of a fan of Bar Rescue and like the idea of a Club owner character. This also gives me the chance to design such a place in detail which I enjoy. Character Introduction

Supporting Cast
Retainers

The Club - Discoteca Alba . A Newly finished Dance and Music Club, Club Alba caters to newer artists, preferably live performances, with a slightly grittier or harder edge. Hosting multiple stages, kitchens, a lounge, and private rooms for those willing to pay for a gold membership; Alba is looking to become the latest musical hot spot in Jack City.

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-20-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
I would've posted an application earlier, but kinda got unexpectedly swamped with a work crisis last week. Fortunately things quieted down since then, so I was able to finish the application. Any feedback is welcome !

Also I kinda went ahead and finished my character sheet, hope that's not a problem!

Dean Riley
right-aligned image

Name: Dean Riley
Clan: Malkavian

Goals: Dean has been living in an abandoned warehouse in the bad part of town, along with a small community of homeless people. This community has been hit hard in recent years- criminal gangs, drug trade and more only making the lives of all who lived there a lot harder than it already was. Now that Dean has these supernatural powers, he uses them to protect his people. His immediate goals, therefore, are to see these people safe and to improve the standard of living in his neighbourhood.

Appearance: Dean wears filthy clothes- a long, brown trenchcoat, a dirt-stained, pale green, woolen sweater, baggy pants and old, filth-encrusted combat boots. He wears a dark blue beanie to protect his head from the cold, covering dirty, silver hair which hasn't been washed for years. He wears an unkempt, short beard, hiding the perpetually bitter expression on his round, wrinkly face.

Personality: Dean is utterly miserable, haunted by memories of his past. He is a cynical pessimist, who has been disappointed by the world one too many times to still be able to feel trust. He keeps to himself whenever possible, well aware of his violent, unexpected moodswings and fearful of what he might do to others. He feels very uncomfortable around loud noises or bright, flashing lights, and has mild claustrofobia- all stemming from a severe case of PTSD. Becoming a vampire has only exacerbated these psychological issues, as medication, drugs and and alcohol no longer affect his now-dead body.

Since being Embraced, Dean has acquired an unhealthy obsession with collecting just about anything, while constantly worrying about losing his possessions or something happening to them. The thought of getting rid of these possessions makes his skin crawl, rendering him almost physically ill at the mere thought. His fear makes him prone to stagnation, as he is more concerned with keeping what he has than with going forward.

Despite this, all of Dean's cynicism is little more than a shield he uses to protect himself from others. Deep down, he longs to be free of his condition- while he can be distant, violent and downright unpleasant, his personality is one born from a once kind and trusting person being kicked down once too often. Beneath it all, he is ruled by fear, consumed by a need to belong, yet held back by the memories of all those times he was hurt by the world.

Stance on Humans: Even before receiving the Blood Kiss, Dean's stance on humans was cynical- people are, in general, horrible. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but that's all they are- an exception. The Embrace only made this view on humanity worse- death made Dean feel even more disconnected, even more apart from the world. Now, even the few members of his community he considers to be under his protection are treated more as favoured possessions than as actual people. As such, he has no qualms feeding off them.

Introduction: Dean got out of the limo hesitantly, blinking, eyes darting from side to side. When the driver tried to close the door for him, Dean snarled at her, ripping the door close to him body as a shield of sorts. Once he made sure the ghoul had backed off, he patted himself down four times, making sure everything he owned was still on him- and still he looked back inside the car, making sure there was nothing in the seats or on the floor which he had accidentally dropped. As usual, his thorough search did not abate the worries in his mind, leaving him feeling useasy as the ghoul cautiously brought him to the people gathered in Bradley Park. He had no reason to trust these people, and deep in his chest, he could feel anger rising, like that of a bear readying itself to protect itself from predators. But the ghoul had promised him these people could help deal with the gang violence in his neighbourhood- and wasn't that worth risking his own life over?

He hardly heard what those opening the meeting were saying- artsy types, he reckoned, rich and spoiled brats who hadn't done a day of honest work in their lives- or after. Cursed like he was, sure, but somehow money had made them immune to the hardships of life and unlife alike. He studies their faces and movements, and peered into the darkness around them. Just how many lackeys did they have with them? Paranoia caused his chest to tense up- who knew what hid in the darkness of the park? Only a fool wouldn't expect to be ambushed here.

Dean suddenly noticed a silence, and looked to his hosts. They were looking at his expectantly, almost annoyed- only then did he realize they were impatiently waiting for him to introduce himself. He coughed laboriously to clear his throat before speaking- not needing to breathe apparently didn't stop gunk from clogging up his windpipe. 'Private Riley,' he announced, 'but y'all can call me Dean. Now, how about you boys tell me what it is you want?'

OOC: Basically, I am looking forward to the challenge of roleplaying as a Malkavian character! I read an article a good while ago about how to play one convincingly (and about the many pitfalls of how to play one wrong), and it inspired me to try and make this mentally broken character, who tried to make something of himself with his own psychological issues as his biggest obstacle. I've been looking for a chance to play this character ever since.

I... Honestly don't really have a goal for the character- I'm more interested in playing his personality, and seeing how he'll evolve over time. I'd like to explore just how he interacts with others around him, and whether he'll grow from the experience, or spiral ever deeper down into the abyss...

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 02-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ermine Ermine Ermine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
Also I kinda went ahead and finished my character sheet, hope that's not a problem!
Not a problem at all. That's two finished character sheets (one's just not public, though most of it could be).

Last edited by Ermine; 02-10-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1535
swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82 swordplay82
Characters
right-aligned image
Name:Dianna Whitney (Aka. White Death or Di)
Clan: Brujah
Goals:
- Help Wren get enough confidence that she can flip a big ol' middle finger to her mother and become the type of artist she wants to be, un-hindered by the whims of others. (That is if Starflier is accepted)
- Start an independent label to get her music, and others, to the people and help wake them up to the injustices of the world. (Maybe using Vic's money and help if Taleteller50 is accepted)
- Help out Dean's homeless buddies so that they have a safe place to stay (If Demonslayer is accepted)
- Get a little pay back against her parents and make 'em come down a few pegs so they can see the cesspool of a world they keep turning a blind eye too.

Appearance:
- Despite being a relatively attractive woman Di does everything she can to give off the punk anti-sociatle vibe she has modeled herself off of. Whether it's leathers and studs, piercings and tattoos, or saving half her hair and dyeing the rest; Di wants the world to know she's anything but a part of the system. Despite all this there is an unquestionable air of charisma hanging around the woman; attracting individuals who can overlook her unusual fashion or who prefer it.

Personality:
- Rebel without a cause is the best way to describe Di. That isn't to say she hasn't found things to fight against as much as there are too many things that Di will throw her rebellious soul behind, jumping from one cause to another without true forethought as to which is the most relevant or in need of help. In essence Di is looking for a fight, any fight, and it shows on how she speaks about authority figures. Of course there are some people who deserve respect, individuals who have proven themselves better then the drones and task masters who appear to keep sucking the world dry, but until someone shows that they're not like the rest Di won't sugar coat exactly what she thinks about them and the corrupt machine they 'may' be a part of.

- Those who do show that they aren't just another piece of the machine and prove themselves trustworthy will however find a friend within Di who's loyalty won't be easily broken. Such individuals don't necessary need to be rebels like Di, although that can help, but anyone who's had to face oppression or who is willing to help such people can get thumbs up from this rocker.

Background:

Stance on Humans:
- Depends on the person. If they're someone who's had to suffer under the boot of another or who's trying to fight against said boot then they deserve a degree of respect. If they're the owner of the boot then bleed 'em dry like they've been doing to the rest of the world.

Extra Info:
-Di HATES Pop music, believing it nothing more then corporate produced drivel designed to lull the populace into a brainless compliant state to keep their corrupt overlords in power rather then rise against such tyrants.
- Di's Sire taught her how to use an axe which she will sometimes incorporate into her more angry performances by destroying effigies of corrupt figures.

Introduction:
Introduction at the BarAs you enter the club the wail of a guitar draws your attention to the stage where you see a young woman wailing away angerly upon it's stings while dancing around the stage. Dressed in an obviously punk style, with half her head saved and the other half dyed in hues of purple and green, Di puts her all into her performance, the song a heavily thumping beat with a nearly impossibly fast tempo. Full of anger and energy the song echoes across the room as the audience gathered cheers out loudly, trying to have their own words heard over the booming volume of the song.

When the song finally ends, to the cheers of the crowd, Di goes to the front of the stage, egging on the cacophony of applause while a pair of stage hands roll in a paper mache effigie of what appeared to be the city's current mayor. Taking a giant battle axe handed to her by one of the stage hands Di raises it above her head triumphantly as she lets out a guttural scream. In one fluid motion Di then swings the axe at the effigie, decapitating it with an explosion of confetti and red streamers erupting from the neck as the head tumbles to the floor. Raising the axe over her head again Di calls out to her audience. "DOWN WITH THE FAT PIGS. DOWN WITH THE CORRUPT! GIV'EM WHITE DEATH 'N LET THE GOLDEN TOWER FALL"!
Introduction Before the EldersThe entrance suddenly fly open as a woman garbed in leathers, denim, spikes, and ripped cloths appear to have kicked the double doors in; an axe strapped to her back. Lowering her leg back to the ground to woman scans the room with a grin on her face before tilting her head back to speak to Wren standing meekly behind her. "See, THAT'S how you make an entrance".

Striding forward with all the confidence in the world the young woman calls out. "No worries yankies, the band's here. Let's get this party started".

Why this character? Most of the time I play charming, cultured, potentially conniving women who usually have a lot of Charisma.
This time, since there was already two potentially like that, I figured I'd go a little more physical. Someone who would be more brash but have the abilities to back it up. It's a chance for me to experiment a little.

Last edited by swordplay82; 02-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.