Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 730
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Journey to the New World

**APPLICATIONS CLOSED**

Journey to the New World

WANTED: EXPEDITIONARY FORCE
Midshipmen, able seamen, marines. Must have sailed on a ship within the last six months.
Craftsmen and farmers (and others) to help establish new settlements.
Adventurers and explorers. Must be able to fight.
Applicants must be willing to leave everything behind them.
Rewards include gold and parcels of land.
Apply to the Dockmaster.
(signed Pelaios, Duke of Westport)

Campaign informationGame system: Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition.
Setting: Homebrew setting.
Themes: Adventure on the high seas, followed by the exploration of new lands.
Posting rate: Ideally, one post every two days.
Party size: 4-5 players.
Deadline: 16th February 2020, assuming I have enough suitable applications.

Character creationStarting level: 1
Ability scores: 27-Point Buy, however please do not post ability scores at this time.
Races allowed: PHB only, no Dark Elves (Drow).
Classes allowed: PHB only.
Backgrounds allowed: PHB only.
Starting wealth and equipment: As per class and background.

Application informationCharacter Name: No jokey names, please.
Race:
Class:
Background: Please also include two Personality Traits, one Ideal, one Bond, and one Flaw.
Alignment: Please do not include an Alignment.
Appearance: Please include a picture and a written description of your character's appearance (1-2 sentences only).
Personality: Please include a written description of your character's personality (2-3 sentences only).
Backstory: Please include a written backstory for your character (2-3 paragraphs only). Please remember your character is only Level 1.

Some tipsWhat will make your application stand out for me: Interesting Race/Class combinations. Decent spelling and grammar. A Personality and Backstory that will strongly motivate your character to join the expeditionary force to the New World.
What I'm not interested in seeing: Lone wolves. Evil or selfish characters. Edgelords of any sort. Purple prose.
Feedback: I'm happy to give feedback on unsuccessful applications after the application period is over, but not before.
Listen to the theme music for Journey to the New World
**APPLICATIONS CLOSED**

Last edited by telcontar; 02-16-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Character applications
PlayerCharacterRaceClassBackgroundStatus
AidynMcKinneyZumricHigh ElfWarlockSailor(Pirate)Completed
ValornorKeridan GladewarderWood ElfRangerOutlanderCompleted
triedtherestPelderan OakleyVariant HumanCleric(Life Domain)Folk HeroAccepted
KarlCullinaneEarahl KayeSilver DragonbornBardSailorAccepted
penbeast0Dagoo "Stubb" TashtegoVariant HumanBarbarianCriminalCompleted
CruciusAmnum FellhandMountain DwarfWizardSageCompleted
MarsComulusDúrnir, son of MótsognirHill DwarfDruidFolk HeroCompleted
AlemarDuren McFaydenHill DwarfRangerUrchinAccepted
WidowsBaneVictoria ColeVariant HumanDruidSageCompleted
bananabadgerOrwin TossleLightfoot HalflingFighterEntertainerCompleted
LunarbeetleMorad KeleanHumanCleric(Light Domain)HermitCompleted
BinnFordTorrim "Nim" TimbersRock GnomeWarlockGuild ArtisanAccepted
The Dark StarRagna BlackhandHalf-OrcWizardHermitCompleted
ImaginateDarien StormwindHumanRogueCharlatanCompleted
fancyjellyfishBlythe SkennyTieflingPaladinUrchinCompleted
KuranOrryn RaulnorForest GnomeDruidOutlanderCompleted
TherruYvaineHalf-OrcPaladinAcolyteAccepted

Last edited by telcontar; 02-17-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:06 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
AidynMcKinney AidynMcKinney
Character Name: Zumric

Race: High Elf

Class: Warlock

Background: Sailor (Variant Pirate) I like a job well done, especially if I can convince someone else to do it. I never pass up a friendly wager. Aspiration. Someday I'll own my own ship and chart my own destiny. I was cheated out of my fair share of the profits, and I want to get my due. Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.

Appearance: He is blond with steely gray-blue eyes.

He looks kind of like this.

Personality: Zumric is a fairly quiet person who keeps to himself and tries not to get attached to people. When he does make friends he is loyal to them unless they show that they aren't trustworthy. He has a strong hatred of Dwarves that he tries to keep concealed but it shows itself fairly often simply because he showed a clear distrust, suspicion, and anger towards them.

Backstory: Zumric was raised by a crew of Pirates from when he was seven. He has few memories of how he got there, all he knows is what the Captain told him. He was told that his parents were merchants that were killed when they were attacked by the crew. They would have killed Zumric if the Captain hadn't intervened on his behalf. The Captain then took Zumric under his wing and raised him as his own, teaching all he knew and encouraging him to become as great as he could be.
Zumric followed in the Captain's footsteps by becoming a pirate just like him. They were doing very well for themselves, they had anything they could want when disaster struck. The crew led by the Dwarfish second mate, Gralvor, a mutiny against the Captain killing him and all the other loyal crew members. They threw Zumric in the ocean for dead. Zumric was full of anger and as his life was slipping he made a pact with an otherworldly bean. The bean would save him and give him the strength to defeat his enemies and gain massive treasures in return for bringing the bean back to his former glory. Zumric has no idea who this bean is, he just knows that he will occasionally hear his voice in his head. After his vengeance, he simply wants to leave the oceans he formerly inhabited alone and settle down on his own farmhouse.

Last edited by AidynMcKinney; 02-09-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Garrettq
Looks interesting, might throw in my half orc wizard if I don't get into another couple games.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Also, could you tell me what you think of my character's application?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:47 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynMcKinney View Post
Also, could you tell me what you think of my character's application?
I'm happy to give feedback on unsuccessful applications at the end of the application period, but not before.

Think of it this way - I'm not just assessing your character, I'm trying to use your application as a way to get insight into you as a player.

However, I have no objection at all if you want to seek feedback from other RPG Crossing members.

Because I couldn't find any specific place to do so, I've started this new thread over here.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:00 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for that
Old 02-06-2020, 05:13 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Oh!

Last edited by Valornor; 02-17-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Posting interest. What Gods exist in this world? I'm thinking of a Cleric.

Last edited by triedtherest; 02-06-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:24 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
Posting interest. What Gods exist in this world?? I'm thinking of a Cleric.
I'm going to use the Greyhawk deities from the PHB as the baseline, but if you want to switch one out for a deity from another pantheon, I'm fine with that. In fact, I've already pretty much decided to switch Fharlanghn (God of Improbably-Spelled Names) for The Traveler out of Eberron/Tal'Dorei.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest

Character Name:Pelderan Oakley
Race: Human (variant if allowed)
Class: Cleric (Life Domain) of Pelor
Background: Folk Hero
Defining Event: I saved people during a "natural" disaster (Plague)
Personality Trait 1: I have a strong sense of fair play and always try to find the most equitable solution to arguments.
Personality Trait 2:If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help
Ideal: People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Bond: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land.
Flaw: The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.
Appearance: Noticeably clean and well groomed for somebody of common rural stock, this is for practicality rather than vanity. Clean shaven, hair and nails cut short and well maintained. Dresses plainly either in the red and white robes (with the yellow/gold trim) of a priest of Pelor, or in his armour with a simple tabard emblazoned with a golden sun, all well maintained and clean.
Personality: Pelderan genuinely wants to help build a community, and believes that the best resolution to a situation is one of compromise. Outside of what he needs to live, he is not that interested in wealth of coin. He does like to learn new skills, especially tradeskills, as he believes that this would enable him to be even more useful to to society. He would dearly love to plant a herb garden at the new settlement, to provide components for healing supplies and to establish a place where Pelorites can worship, if one does not already exist.
Backstory: The Lord of Pelderan's town, and of several other town's, was a greedy and cruel man. He had a dispute with a neighbouring Lord over who owned a particular stretch of land, so he raised an army of his regular soldiers, Freemen and Serfs. The Law of the land stated that each man should be paid in person at the end of their service, so the Lord intended that as few of the troops survive as possible. The Lords plan hit a snag when the enemy fled the field, and the opposing Lord conceding the land with only the minimum of bloodshed caused. This meant that the Lord would have to pay out more money than he had intended to, or would he?
The regular forces were brought home, while the rest were ordered to stay in the field to make that the enemy had in fact retreated. Most were happy to do so, more coin with little risk. Then people started to get deathly ill. Then more people. Soon almost everyone was ill. A Cleric of Pelor diagnosed the cause, a disease borne by contaminated drinking water. He knew how to treat it, but he needed ingredients to make the medicine, so a messenger was sent to the closest town to requisition them. On hearing the news, the town's Herbalist packed his wagon full of reagents, and was about to set off with the messenger, when they were both arrested by the Lords men on fabricated charges, and they were led away. Fortunately, the herbalists apprentice, Pelderan, overheard everything, and when the soldiers left, he jumped on the wagon and drove it away as fast as he could. He was seen trying to leave, and one of the soldiers shot him with his bow! A few hours later, Pelderan arrived at the camp, and the medicine was made up. Pelderan's wound was treated by the cleric, who asked him what had happened. Pelderan told him everything. The cleric knew that if Pelderan returned home then he was likely to have a fatal "accident", so given his service and obvious good character, he offered to take Pelderan to be inducted into the clergy of Pelor....
...Now, a few years later, Pelderan is a fully invested cleric of Pelor, but afraid to leave the Pelorite temple in Bosgrove, for fear of reprisal. He wants to be of benefit to society, but doesn't know how. Then he see's the notice:

WANTED: EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

He just has to get to Westport, that's a couple of days travel. He waits just long enough to pack his few belongings, and get the blessing of his superiors, before setting off for his new life....

Last edited by triedtherest; 02-10-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 651
KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane
Character Name: Earahl Kaye
Race: Silver Dragonborn
Class: Bard
Background: Sailor
I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story.
I never pass up a friendly wager.
Ideal: The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything.
Bond: The ship is most important – crewmates and captains come and go.
Flaw: Once I start drinking, it's hard for me to stop.
Appearance:
left-aligned image
Standing a mere 5 foot 6, and weighing in at a measly 200 pounds, Earahl is different from most other Dragonborn you have seen, in several ways. It's rare to see a Silver Dragonborn outside of Draconia, let alone one wearing a soft flowing grey silk shirt over deep black knee length pantaloons, under which it is obvious he is wearing a skin tight suit of deep brown leather armor covered with small metallic studs. From his left hip hangs a well made Dwarven Style Regimental Rapier, and from his neck trails a long grey lined black hooded cape.
Personality: Being born the son of a Cleric of Olidammara one learns to live life to the fullest. The greatest songs, the best wine, the thrill of a good bet, the bed of a handsome woman.
Backstory: Of course, that can be the problem sometimes. Seeing her there, swimming in the ocean, the water making her black scales glisten in the setting sun, I just couldn't help myself. As she came back to the beach I sang her a song of love and joy, and we did that which comes natural.
I couldn't know that she was the daughter of the Captain of the City Guards. To say he wasn't pleased with me would be an understatement. Hoping to escape until his anger could subside I took a job on a small cargo ship, using my dancing lights to guide the ship around reefs at night, mending to keep the sail and line whole, with the occasional healing word to heal the crew of their blisters after the harder days, with boisterous song to ease the nights.
Putting back into shore I learned the hard way that a father's rage does not end so easily. Running back to the docks I heard of a new voyage. This time the end destination is an entirely new land. Maybe that will be far enough away...
Things to Remember #1: When attempting to bluff ones way out of an old bar bill, it is not wise to yell Tab?! TAB?!! I have been in this bar before, ye drunken lout!
As the Troll Master Chef was wont to say : There's no Race like Gnome, for the Hollendaise.

Last edited by KarlCullinane; 02-09-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 993
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Stubb
]
left-aligned image
Name: Dagoo "Stubb" Tashtego, nicknamed by one of his companions because he is anything but stubby, it stuck.
Race: Variant Human
Class: Barbarian
Background: Criminal.

Personality Traits: I believe everyone acts out of self interest, some just act more impulsively than others. I judge people on their actions and even then am very slow to give my trust.
Ideal: Emotions should never cloud judgement which should always be based on rational facts.
Bond: The totems of my ancestors speak to me and guide my path.
Flaw: I believe everyone is out for themselves, first, foremost, and finally.

Personality: Today, we might call it clinical paranoia as a result of childhood trauma. He sees everyone as a potential threat, even his closest companions. Fortunately, he is also highly intelligent and understands that his chance of survival is appreciably greater with companions. His presence in the adventuring group is based on his calculation that their company gives him a stronger chance of survival than continuing in his former life. While he doesn't talk a great deal, he does carry on a strong interior monologue, talking to his totems (bear, wolf, eagle). He tends to be cautious about new ventures but the society here has no place for former criminals other than the gallows. He feels that being in the group at sea gives him more opportunities to survive than staying in this city without someone watching his back. But, now he need to learn to swim.

Appearance: Extremely tall, with long arms and legs, Dagoo trains intensely on strength to provide him with a muscular, powerful build. Scarred, both from weapons and from burning off his arena brand, he has collected a collection of tattoos to cover the identifying marks. Oddly enough, for a city boy with no interest in gardening, the tattoos tend to be of flowers and plants.

History: Son of slaves, he was sold before puberty to the fighting arenas where men fought to their death, however long that took. Trained in polearms to take advantage of his size and strength, he learned quickly and fought well, but eventually he too would have died. That is just how things were. But instead, he waited and when the moment was right, he killed his trainer and escaped to the streets, living as an enforcer and sell-sword. To disguise himself, he had his face and upper body heavily tattooed to cover the distinctive pattern of scars that might have identified him. However, to maximize survival, a new start was required. Fortunately . . .

RP Sample: Duegen wandered out of the bar late, very late. Typical waterfront tavern, typical night, typical heavy drinking. Dagoo watched from the shadows as the bearded cleric stumbled toward their lodgings. Information was the key to survival. He had to depend on this group of companions with his life on the line and while none had let him down in the time they had traveled, you never knew what people were actually thinking, you could only assess probabilities based on experience and knowledge. And knowledge was hard to find.

The dwarf didn't know it but there were others lurking in the shadows here and a drunken lush was a likely target. Sure enough, two moved into the street to cut him off, two moved in behind, two others stayed in darkened doorways. "Hello Dwarf. It looks like it's not your night," one of those facing the dwarf smirked. Time seemed to slow.

Dagoo opened his senses to Eagle. 6 targets, two doorways too dark to be sure if there was a 7th. 5 of the 7 within a single movement. Escape possible down the streets forward or backward, possibly climbable window and vines on near side. Eagle was on his side tonight, he had seen them gather and set their ambush, normally the darkness of the false dawn would be a significant disadvantage. He would set fresh entrails before Eagle in the morning. Bear. Light weapons, daggers and shortswords, one crossbow. Two seemed likely to attempt backstab. Highest threat potential, the crossbow, as others seemed likely to provide distraction giving him advantage from a shot in the back. Wolf. One of those behind the dwarf was within reach, no armor, pre-teen so unlikely to delay him much. Second thinks self hidden but still within reach, could butt strike backward and bring him into melee. Voices had been full of bravado, a mask for fear. Setup had been careless. They could be intimidated into fleeing.

Dagoo stepped into a brutal strike on the young . . . girl it seemed . . . in front of him, slicing her back open and knocking her too the ground. "Duegan, font, door right," He then continued his strike thrusting back with the butt of the pike, smashing into her crouching companion. Within moments, three of the attackers were dead, three fled. Dagoo turned to go.

"Ay, ya tattooed menace, what in blazes was that? They were kids!" Duergen seemed upset. Dagoo had just saved his life, and yet he was complaining. Looking around quickly, Eagle confirmed that Duegen was alone, only lightly injured. No companions within sensory range; no one had come to investigate. The attackers had moved off quickly and were unlikely to return. Dagoo noted to Bear that while Duegen had a drawn weapon, the bigger threat was likely spells remaining and Dagoo was out of rage and vulnerable. Wolf chimed in that Duegen was lightly injured but he was a dwarf, tough and wearing armor. The alcohol had worn off, hard target. Dagoo could take him if no outside factors entered the equation but it would be a difficult fight and take more time than this shoddy ambush had. Talking was indicated.

"You were attacked. Companion. Save life." The dwarf sputtered a bit but it wore down. Threat remote. Time sped up again. The dwarf was still talking and offered him a flask. Dagoo sniffed it. It seems to be alcohol, Eagle. Alcohol is counter productive, Dagoo'd never seen the point of drinking so he poured a bit on the gash he had taken in his thigh and handed it back. The dwarf sputtered a bit more about wasting good alcohol but it was just noise, not a threat. To ensure that they returned safely, Dagoo accompanied the dwarf back to their lodgings. He wasn't sure what he'd learned but the cost was small and now the dwarf owed him a life. That was to the good.

Last edited by penbeast0; 02-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 402
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Amnum Fellhand
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Wizard
Background: Sage (School Teacher)
Trait: I’m used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.
Trait: When I’m thinking deeply about something, I tend to tap my finger on a hard surface such as my armor or a book.
Ideal: Teaching. It is through imparting our knowledge to each other that the world can become a better place, and the best way to improve our future is to educate our children.
Bond: It is my duty to protect those I teach. Knowledge can only live as long as those who remember it do.
Flaw: I am slow to act when I am not sure what the best course of action would be and I may have to stop to think about what it might be.
Appearance: When first encountering Amnum, one might be so distracted by his muscle, armor, and weapon that they may not even notice a book he is probably carrying or the smile that often graces his face. Amnum has green eyes with brown hair and is of average height for a dwarf, though he is admittedly more bulky than most.
Personality: Amnum has a generally cheery attitude and ascribes much of his decision making to logic and reason. He has great attention to detail but tries to interact with others in the way that seems easiest to them, even if that means overlooking minor inaccuracies. To him helping others learn means to help them and teach them in the process of helping.
Backstory: Amnum grew up in a very military family. Although he had a great appreciation for education and the arts, it was always expected for him to serve on the field of battle. When he reached adulthood, he paid his dues on the field of battle, starting as common soldier, but eventually becoming secretary to a general.
Upon returning home he set out to follow his true passion, knowledge. He attended the best school his savings could afford and soon became qualified to teach in his own right, at least to young children. But, his dreams seemed to crash as he realized the excessive limitations that were placed upon such teachers of young students. He felt restricted by what he was supposed to say and what he was not allowed to say. He taught for a year and though he found some joy in the work, he couldn’t help but feel that he could do so much more if only he were allowed to teach what he felt they actually needed to know. So when he heard tell of settlements going off to a new world, he immediately thought of how in a new world, there would be far less restrictions on his curriculum. He could be an effective teacher to children that would inherit an entirely new land. A land that could have a better future because of his teachings. And with that dream on his mind, he inquired into the expedition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F5A1677-290A-42C5-837C-43350C86D1F0.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	83079  

Last edited by Crucius; 02-10-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added Personality section
Old 02-06-2020, 01:05 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 402
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Name: Dagoo "Stubbs" Tashtego
You are truly a man of culture good sir. Hopefully we don’t encounter any white whales on this venture, I imagine their CR would not be very low, haha.