twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Hey, I'm not the one with the obsession, I'm just a harpooner.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65
MarsComulus
Application information
right-aligned image
Dúrnir, son of Mótsognir, of Clan Blackhammer
Character Name: Dúrnir, son of Mótsognir, of Clan Blackhammer.
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Druid (Circle of the Moon)
Background: Folk Hero
  • Personality Traits: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
  • When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
  • Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
  • Bond: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land .
  • Flaw: I 'm convinced of the significance of my destiny, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.
Alignment: ???
Appearance: Dúrnir is of average height and weight for a dwarf with dusky skin, hazel eyes and sandy brown hair. He tends to wear shades of browns and greens except for his hat which is a white spotted petrified mushroom cap.
Personality: Dúrnir is even-tempered but if he really thinks something should be said, he'll say it. The one thing that will get him fuming mad is the wanton destruction of nature.
Backstory: At the age of 15 Dúrnir was chosen to be one of the apprentices of the Druid Ulfgang. Besides studying to become a druid, he helped maintain the mushroom caverns and tend to the clans pack lizards. Dúrnir's life evolved into dull tedium.

When Dúrnir was elevated to druid he decided he did not want to spend the rest of his life in these caverns. During the sleeping period he packed up his belongings.Unlocking the gate that lead into the Underdark, Dúrnir left his clan, taking two days to find a passage up to the surface world.

For close to a year Dúrnir traveled the land, marveling at the plants and animals that were so much different than the ones he knew in his clanhold. One day while conversing with a wandering merchant, Dúrnir learned of the expedition to uncharted lands. Wanting to see more of the world, he traveled to Westport to join the other explorers.

Last edited by MarsComulus; 02-08-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 678
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
left-aligned image
Character Name: Duren McFayden
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Ranger

-X-X-X-
Urchin
Trait 1 I eat like a pig and have bad manners
Trait 2 I never pass up a friendly wager
Ideal I help those who me, its what keeps us alive
Bond Everything I do is for the common people
Flaw I enjoy food, drink, and other intoxicants a little too much

Appearance: A black scraggy beard covers the lower portion of this young Dwarf's face; while on the top of his head, his hair is slicked back with pig fat to keep it out of his face. Duren is short, and stocky, as is common for his Kin, though his frame is thin almost sickly. It appears that he has gone through times of serious illness and hunger in the past, and his weathered skin hangs on his bones as a result.

Personality: Duren is jovial, and will happily chat with anyone who stops to visit. His confidence in himself, and his skills as a hunter have grown recently, as he has started being able to not only feed himself, but a small number of the poorer children in town.

Backstory: Duren was one of the many unfortunates; an abandoned child adrift in the sea of beggars cluttering Westport's streets. Being forced to fight for survival against both the elements, and sheer number of competitors, gave the young Dwarf a voracious appetite, and a longing to find someplace safe where he could belong. As he grew in age, and experience, he began to venture further out from the docks, and eventually into the wilderness outside Westport's walls. Seeing the many bows for sale at the various weapon, and outfitter shops, he attempted to craft his own version; which fell apart spectacularly upon his first attempt at using it. Eventually he worked up the courage to steal a workable bow, and with proper weaponry by his side, he was able to begin the long process of learning how to use it effectively while hunting.

Each pelt he brought in to sell gave Duren a little more coin in his pockets, and a little more confidence in himself, and after a few short months he could afford to support himself by renting a hovel. Keeping himself fed and housed, the young ranger began to worry. Now he no longer had reason to fear starvation, but thievery became a concern. After all, it was thievery that gave him his big break, and now it could take his tools, his self sufficiency, take everything away from him. To lose his ability to hunt could cost him his home, and to be homeless and once again out on the streets. Duren started to realize, that for the first time in his life, he felt like he had something important to lose.

Early one evening there was a bang on Duren's door, a knocking that was strong enough that it shook the structure to the studs. Upon answering the knock, Duren was greeted by the newest Dockmaster, recently assigned his position by Duke Pelaios himself, and a handful of the city guards. It seemed that his prior acts of kindness to the downtrodden had not gone unnoticed. And as the city was hoping to clean up the number of vagrants, Duren had been one of those volunteered by the City to move on. He was to immediately join one of the ships headed to the New World. He was allowed to keep his bow, he was even given some new clothes, and new armor to wear. But he was to leave Westport, leave everything he knew behind, and venture into the unknowns on the next high tides.

Last edited by Alemar; 02-09-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: finalizing app
Old 02-07-2020, 02:28 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I've finished my character application. I hope it's not too long-winded
Old 02-07-2020, 05:37 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 727
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Okay, so I've updated the applications table.

Please be aware that I'll mark applications as Completed if they meet all the requirements from the advertisement, but if you want to continue to tinker with your application you should feel free to do so. I will be re-reading all applications when I make my final decision anyway.

Thanks for all the applications so far!!!

Last edited by telcontar; 02-07-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Hoots
Posting interest. Hopefully have something up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52
WidowsBane
right-aligned image
Character Name: Victoria Cole
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Druid (Aiming for Circle of the Moon)
Background: Sage

Trait: She is used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as she is (not finding this a fault of theirs, simply a lack of education), and patiently explain anything and everything to others if required.

Ideal: Fairness. We all do the work, so we all share in the rewards. Society is all about teamwork, and there are plenty of roles to play, as long as you aim to do your absolute best in whatever you do.

Bond: She has been searching her whole life for the answer to a certain question. What is over the horizon? The study of the natural world and its varying civilizations and cultures is a great passion of hers.

Flaw: Curiosity killed the cat. Most people would scream and run away when they see a demon. Victoria will find a place out of the way and take notes on its anatomy and behaviors.

Alignment: Please do not include an Alignment.

Appearance: Unlike most druids, she doesn't show tattoo's or runes to an obvious degree (even if she does have a few covered up). For those who know druidic they would recognize a small symbol on the ribbon she wears around her neck, that is all. Instead Victoria will dress plainly in attire suitable for the region she is currently in. Most obvious would be her shoulder bag (no skull symbols as shown in pic) that is never far from her side. It is rather over sized, and was inherited from her father. Old tattered paper and scroll cases are also commonly strewn around where she sleeps.

Personality: Victoria is a well read individual, finding libraries to be a most wonderful addition to any good town. She takes time to listen to people tell their stories and adventures, and often sits quietly in the middle of taverns with a journal for this specific reason. If there is an old man who looks sad or bored, she will attempt to cheer them up in exchange for a snippet of their history.

Backstory: Unlike many scholars, or intellectual people, Victoria has never attended an academic institution. She is mostly self taught. Her father, Dr. Gregor Cole traveled around frequently and as an only child she was his little apprentice. She never knew her mother, and her father never spoke about it. Let's just say that Gregor Cole doesn't have an ounce of druidic bloodline in him, and finds the entire ordeal rather frustrating.

Ships are second nature to her now, often travelling from port to port and the inside of a cabin is as home to her as any mansion or tavern room. Years of travelling had taken a toll on her fathers health and he has retired. Wealthy enough not to worry, Victoria has now headed off on her own adventures. Sure to write often, and send drawings and stories home to cheer her father up.

A wise Captain, intrigued about her druidic heritage, once commented on how she would make a good navigator. Especially once she 'sprouted some wings'. Knowledgeable, able to read and write, able to scout out reefs and shoreline and assess ahead of a ship during fog and storms. Perhaps she can be more useful aboard ships in future, however for now she simply scrubs the deck, patches the sails, helps with some cooking and cleaning and pays for time alone to study and record.

Having arrived in Westport several months ago, she has found that without her fathers credentials that very few are willing to take her on as a passenger, without charging the earth for it. Though Westport offers many stories and much excitement, it was the well framed poster that caught her eye the most. The chance to examine foreign lands, untamed wilderness and be the first to catalog exotic species? No adventure fired up her curiosity and drive for excellence more so than the writings of Pelaios, Duke of Westport! She would head to the Dockmaster the next morning, to hand in her application.

Last edited by WidowsBane; 02-08-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 202
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Orwin Tossle's Theme Music

Character Name: Orwin Tossle
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Fighter / Entertainer
Background:
Personality Trait 1: Once gregarious
Personality Trait 2: Once trusting
Ideal: My folk’s proudest moments, and even our tragedies, must be preserved for the future.
Bond: One’s family, one’s villagers and the traditions we weave together are what sustain and lay claim to us.
Flaw: Orwin enjoys playing his bagpipes significantly more than others enjoy hearing them.
Appearance: As if a young, nondescript halfing decided to dress up as a warrior. Ragged. Worse for the wear. He has obviously been on the run, as prey.
Personality: Shell-shocked and jittery; a casing of cynicism and fear has drawn over what was recently a pleasure-seeking halfling.
Backstory: That traveling caravan of actors that Orwin invited to the village? Flemont’s Fabulous Gallivanting Gillies? Yes, the first part of their show was spectacular—and all the village came to watch. The killings began after the intermission. Turned out the troupe members were simply hired killers and arsonists (well thugs with a bit of flair for theater, you had to give them that), Baron von Shclinten’s way of removing the village that had refused to sell off its land. Orwin, the village playwright and sometimes village volunteer night watch, wasn’t sure if anyone else from Kalopanax survived the slaughter, but he wasn’t staying around to see because he knew the Baron’s swords would hunt them down. (After all, why risk allowing a survivor to make a tedious legal appeal to the courts, the priests or some bard who needed to meld their sad story into a revenge ballad?) No, Orwin had only one choice, and that was to gather up all the armaments he could find and set off for the docks in the neighboring dukedom to get as far away as possible from maniacal, murdering thespians. Duke of WhateverPort needs adventurers and explorers? Well, what a coincidence, Orwin was an adventurer AND and an explorer (or so he would claim). The mighty Duke wanted experienced sailors? Well, Orwin had captained a caravel (and nobody need know it was on stage). One way or another, Orwin would be on that ship ... even if it meant as a stowaway.

Last edited by bananabadger; 02-15-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:06 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2
Lunarbeetle

Character Name: Morad Kelean
Race: Human
Class: Cleric (Light Domain) (may multiclass a few fighter levels at some point)
Background: Hermit (Wanderer)

Personality Trait 1: I hate to stay in one place for too long.
Personality Trait 2: The rituals of my faith have a personal significance to me.
Ideal: Change is natural, and the lack of it will decay a person.
Bond: The Order of Cyndor is where my loyalties lie.
Flaw: I am often cold, but am quick to anger if not able to complete my duties.

Appearance: Morad wears the totemic white mask of the Order of Cyndor. He also dons typical Order robes, which are practical dull garments lacking gilding or excess decoration. He has a longsword strapped to his back, but you can tell it is hardly drawn by the lack of wear on the handle.

Personality: Morad exemplifies the typical Order attitude. He doesn't dwell on problems, choosing to solve them or move on. He struggles to form meaningful relationships with non-travellers, only bothering to open up to those as willing to move as he is.

Backstory: The Order is dedicated to the god Cyndor, who reigns over the passage of time. One of the main tenets of the order is to imitate the constant unstoppable passage of time by continually moving from place to place. Morad is a young cleric of the Order who recently began his lifelong journey across the world only 4 years ago. For the past two years, Morad has travelled with two older clerics, learning valuable lessons on growth and decay.
Many members of the Order periodically travel on ships, as they are always moving in some way while embarked, allowing clerics to gain some rest. While passing through Westport, Morad's companions suggested he join the expedition, as it would provide new insight on the ever changing nature of the world around. Morad happily obliged, heading to meet the dockmaster immediately, saying a quick farewell to his companions of two years. (After all, what kind of cleric of Cyndor would he be if he wasn't willing to let go of connections in pursuit of change?)
Old 02-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Hoots

Old 02-09-2020, 05:01 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, I've done a superficial read through of all the applications, and some aren't as complete as I initially thought.

Where things are missing, I've noted these on the application table on the first page.

Last edited by telcontar; 02-09-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 597
KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane KarlCullinane
Rapiered.
Things to Remember #1: When attempting to bluff ones way out of an old bar bill, it is not wise to yell Tab?! TAB?!! I have been in this bar before, ye drunken lout!
As the Troll Master Chef was wont to say : There's no Race like Gnome, for the Hollendaise.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 976
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
I love this concept! I'm going to try to get something together soon.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:43 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Just thought I'd post a map of Westport, for reference.

left-aligned image

Last edited by telcontar; 02-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Looking good!

Out of interest, is there a temple/church/shrine of Pelor in Westport? Trying to figure out if I would be in town, or if I would have had to have travelled a way.