twitter facebook

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 727
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
The main worship in Westport is Celestian. There's a large-ish Temple of Celestian on the promontory south of the Duke's manor. There are three smaller shrines in the town itself, dedicated to Olidammara, Pelor and the Traveler.

You could be part of that Shrine to Pelor, if you like. But it'd probably only be yourself and one other priest. Or you could come from the larger Temple of Pelor in Bosgrave, which is a couple of days travel inland from Westport.

Last edited by telcontar; 02-10-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I probably come from the larger Temple of Pelor in Bosgrave, as I'm pretty much being hidden by the clergy.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:24 PM
Adult Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 352
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Where things are missing, I've noted these on the application table on the first page.
Alright, I added the missing section. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 339
Therru Therru Therru Therru
"The Inn Hospitable"

This looks like a lot of fun - application en route!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 976
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Name: Torrim Timbers ("Nim")
Race: Rock Gnome
Class: Warlock (Siobhan Alastai, co-leader of the Court of Coral)

BackgroundMechanical: Guild Artisan (Member: Shipwrights and Sailmakers)
Personality Traits: Curious and Socially-Oblivious
Ideal: Constant, committed pursuit of his craft
Bond: Nim has a working relationship with Smuggler's Dens in quite a few ports
Flaw: Satisfaction is impossible when aiming for perfection

Appearance: Short, unkempt, tatted, pierced, and missing an eye: Nim was a pointy-eared, crazy-haired gnome.

Personality: Nim is good-natured but aloof, often stopping mid-conversation to dash off toward destinations unknown. He's persistent--what more would call foolishly stubborn--and finds it difficult to connect to those without a passion (or passionate love for the sea). When necessary, Nim is stern and boasts a spine of steel; nothing makes him back down when he needs a way forward.

Backstory
right-aligned image
The story goes like this: Nim, being far too curious about the tides (and wanting to create a mechanism to control waves), stowed away on a pirate ship that encountered rough waters and a swirling storm. The rock gnome, unable to swim, somehow made it back to shore as the sole survivor--but, as tales often like to say, the lad was much changed. True, he was missing an eye and his smile was just a wee bit mad, but Nim never had been known for his great grip on sanity. His friends, few and suspicious though they were, simply took the sea-foam tinge around the ears and tendency to chat with himself in stride; they were gnomes, after all. Everyone's a little touched.

Soon, Nim's curiosity about the sea became an obsession, and the young boy left his clan (again) to begin begging apprenticeships on, well--ships. He was often taken up as a joke, or thought to be of good enough constitution to act a servant, but something strange began to happen: Every vessel graced with Nim's presence found itself able to weather the very worst of the tides and the most dangerous of seas. Still, Nim never stayed on any ship beyond a single passage, preferring to hop ports and gain new experience on whatever sea-farer he could find. He sunk no roots, kept his pleasantries cursory, and kept searching for a way to learn and earn enough to build his own ships someday.

A free sail to a new place with gold at the other end? Sounds perfect.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Telcontar, I would add to the excellent theme music that you have chosen for the game, with the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMYNBoJABSM

Last edited by Valornor; 02-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 202
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
To paraphrase ...
Anyone can come up with a concept, but only a few set it to Khachaturian.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
Telcontar, I would add to the excellent theme music that you have chosen for the game, with the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMYNBoJABSM
Ahahahaha. I assumed most players on this board would be American, and I wasn't sure how many of them would be familiar with Hornblower (I wasn't sure how big the series was in the U.S.). It's nice to find a fellow fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
To paraphrase ...
Anyone can come up with a concept, but only a few set it to Khachaturian.
Why, thankee. My parents and I used to watch The Onedin Line on TV when I was a kid, which used a version of the Adagio from "Spartacus" as its theme music. Which will probably give you some idea how old I am... and how very, very English my family is. (My parents migrated to Australia in the 60s, but my father in particular remained steadfastly English till the day he died.) But I also have a fair collection of classical music. The other piece I considered was DvořŠk's Symphony No. 9 "From the New World". In the end I decided Khachaturian's piece was just more evocative.

Last edited by telcontar; 02-12-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I always preferred Sharpe myself!

More evocative title music, and Sean Bean NOT dying in something!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 222
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Ahahahaha. I assumed most players on this board would be American, and I wasn't sure how many of them would be familiar with Hornblower (I wasn't sure how big the series was in the U.S.). It's nice to find a fellow fan!
So your a Aussie. When I was in the U.S. Navy back in the 80's the ship I was on made port of calls in once and Sydney and twice in Perth. One of the times in Perth, I somehow a somewhat drunk me got talked into going on a late night Roo spotlighting hunt. In the bush, outside of that city. It was a pretty wild experience. I'm not even sure it was legal or not.
I'm a big Anglo and Celtophile. So I must of watched Hornblower on our country's Public Broadcast Service Program that has a show called Masterpiece Theatre. That is were all the British Dramas like Poldark and Downton Abbey are shown on Sunday Evenings. They are currently doing the Jane Austin's 'Sanditon' series. Which I am quite enjoying.

Last edited by Valornor; 02-12-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 591
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Ragna!
Basic Information:
Character Name: Ragna Blackhand
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Wizard

Background: Hermit - I was exiled for interest in Necromancy
Personality Traits: I am working on a grand philosophical theory and love sharing my ideas.
I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.
Ideal: Free Thinking. Inquiry and curiosity are the pillars of progress. (Chaotic)
Bond: I entered seclusion to hide from the ones who might still be hunting me. I must someday confront them.
Flaw: Now that Iíve returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.

Appearance:
A dashing half-orc with human-like features, but has long teeth protruding from mouth, sharp pointed ears, green skin, except for his right hand, which is black as the night and long, well taken care of nails. His hair is cut short and jet black, his eyes are an icy green and he has many piercings on his ears. He wears blue robes over his common clothes, with gold bracers, a ring on his right middle finger and an over the shoulder strap with a bag that holds his book.

Personality:Ragna is a spiritual half-orc, always thinking of the big picture of things. He is intelligent, well spoken and well-mannered around others, his time in isolation has not changed that. He is always offering to speak of his beliefs about how death is never the end of things and his goal to bring back the dead, but not just to be servants to others, but free beings to live a new life.

BackstoryRagna was always a curious boy, interested in the arcane arts, when his father tragically died he, and his mother missed him so much that they pursued the idea of trying to speak with him and possibly, bring him back. They traveled far and paid all they had for clerics and wizards to try, but it was not enough and the strain soon took his mother.

The town that he grew up in found out what was going on, and in their fear chased him out, under threats of death. He found himself isolated in the forests, alone, until he came by a hermit, an old wizard, that was near his time to pass on to the planes of death. Ragna befriended him and was taught the ways of magic, and was given a book with a promise, to learn the art of necromancy, and find a way to bring him back. He agreed and began to make a list, a list of people that he wished to bring back.

After he had grown up into an adult, he ventured out to seek this knowledge, but was turned back at every turn. Necromancy was not liked by many, not on this land. So when he heard that there was a ship sailing to a new land, he knew he had to get on that ship. So he worked, day and night to book passage on that ship, willing to do whatever it took to get on.

Last edited by The Dark Star; 02-14-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 524
Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate
DARIEN STORMWINDCharacter Name: Darien Stormwind

Race: Human

Class: Rogue

Background: Charlatan
- Scam: I put on new identities like clothes.
- Personality Trait 1 I’m a born gambler who can’t resist taking a risk for a potential payoff.
- Personality Trait 2 I lie about almost everything, even when there’s no good reason to.
- Ideal I am a free spirit. No one tells me what to do.
- Bond I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths with me or those I care about.
- Flaw I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.

Alignment: NA

Appearance: Darien’s skin is of a lighter complexion, accompanied by dark stubble that runs along his chin, up to each ear, and in a mustache. Dark blue eyes look out, and dark brown hair sits somewhat ‘moppily’ atop his head.

Personality: Darien’s personality depends entirely on the situation he is in and the company he keeps. However, a favorite of his is the personality of the simple, meek, and forgettable; a hodgepodge of mannerisms that leave very little of anything to remember for those he interacts with.

Backstory:

Loss and gain… The balance of these intimately intertwined with Darien Stormwind’s beginnings in the town of Westport. Darien grew up as an urchin, not a single piece of memory of his parents and household, whether it were a street hovel or a noble’s mansion, left to him. Darien’s guardian was a chosen-family of thieves who carved out an ill-gained life of theft and intrigue in Westport’s underworld. It was all they could do to survive.

Growing up with thieves earned Darien abuse by his peers, which only toughened his skin. The life earned Darien pain, which became categorized as mistakes he learned from. He learned to take advantage of loyalty, honesty, anger, tyranny, and twist them to forge himself into whatever kind of person he needed to be at any given moment. There was no particular master or god he was or is aware of that groomed him; just his will to survive beyond failures and successes…his own, and those of his fellow thieves.

Darien’s exploits earned attention from above the streets in Westport, and he took the opportunity to leave his family of thieves behind and embraced an isolated existence. He found a new life beyond theft, and began to exist in a space which demanded greater risk and skill, carrying out various work for wealthy merchants and minor nobles. However, Darien played a game too great, and currently finds himself in need of a way to leave Westport altogether and start anew. What better way than to join the Journey to the New World?

Last edited by Imaginate; 02-12-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
I always preferred Sharpe myself!

More evocative title music, and Sean Bean NOT dying in something!
The Hornblower series was a lot better known though I have seen both. I liked the Hornblower books a lot more too (and more than the Patrick O'Brian books too) though I may agree with you about the Sharpe miniseries v. the BBC Hornblower one. All good reads though and even in American, Forester's books are still the standard for great naval warfare in the age of sail.

Last edited by penbeast0; 02-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think that we can both agree that they were both awesome series'.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, less than three days till applications close. I've sent PMs to everyone that has expressed an interest but not submitted an application, and to those whose applications are still WIPs.