Game Thread Rock and Wind - Page 15 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:58 AM
TheChuck's Avatar
TheChuck TheChuck is offline
Big Muscles
Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 30th, 2024
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
Posts: 17,465
Preston munches on some trail rations as the group moves through the wilderness. You know, I think this giant is somehow connected to us, like whatever force was calling to us wants us to destroy this giant. Preston pauses in thought for a moment, running his fingers through his jet black hair. I know I said that I didn't want to fight the giant earlier, but this would be on our own terms, and I can't help but feel that these things are connected somehow. The were-leopard continues moving down the trail, munching on rations and lost in thought.

After a few more minutes, he turns to Ulric, I think we could take down this giant, if we can get a lay of the land around its lair, we could rig the battlefield to our advantage and take it by surprise. I'm good with the whole surprise thing.
__________________
Post of the Month! Go nominate someone!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
ridin gaijin's Avatar
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin is offline
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: -9600
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
Posts: 10,866
Afternoon turns to evening. Engrossed (for the most part) in their own thoughts, the party moves ahead steadily. The country is definitely changing now: you have a choice of sticking to the lowlands, where there's a nice little stream (flowing away from you, to the north), or climbing a bit--because the land is dipping. You're in the beginnings of a cleft. Away from you, towards the north, ridges begin to rise on either side of the little valley. This must be the start of the rift.


where would you like to camp? any precautions for the night I should know about?
__________________
ridin status: all good here.

NO xp please! It's no longer possible to earn negative xp. These gray dots are highly endangered! Don't kill them!
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 13th, 2024
RPXP: 35717
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,662
The fat black bear lumbering behind the group doesn't seem terribly concerned where the group decides to camp. He sniffs the air occasionally, and is happy enough to lap up some water at the stream. Along the way he nibbles on grasses and acorns, pausing from time to time to scratch his back on an unfortunate tree.

 
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
TheChuck's Avatar
TheChuck TheChuck is offline
Big Muscles
Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 30th, 2024
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
Posts: 17,465
Preston looks to the north, following with his eyes the little stream that heads that direction. I say we stick to the lowlands, paying this giant a visit on our way by. I can scout ahead and find its lair before we just stumble upon it. What say you? Preston asks, addressing everyone.

OOCAs far as camp goes, Preston doesn't know much about the wilderness except that shelter is good, so as camp time approaches he will keep an eye out for any sort of cover or cave if they have travelled enough. He will take no specific precautions for the night except watch on his turn. Assuming of course that the rest of the group wants to share watch, unlike the previous evening.
 
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.
__________________
Post of the Month! Go nominate someone!
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Kainti's Avatar
Kainti Kainti is offline
Pissant
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2014
RPXP: 300
Kainti Kainti Kainti Kainti
Posts: 1,696
Keeping to the right flank of his pack Sylin moved about keeping an eye for anything edible. Well, edible and within his capabilities. He wasn't about to try and tear open the neck of say, a black bear. Still, a small land mammal sounded simply delightful right about now.
 
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
ridin gaijin's Avatar
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin is offline
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: -9600
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
Posts: 10,866
No one finds any food for most of the day. However, as the sun begins to set. a series of sharp yips from off to the right draw everyone's attention: Sylin, the wolf, has surprised a small wild boar! The canny youngster has hamstrung it, and it's easy for the others to finish off quickly and (relatively) mercifully. Sylin's skill at surviving in the wild means everyone (5 people) will eat well tonight.

Roy shoulders the kill easily as the group starts to look for a safe-ish place to build a fire and camp out. Preston's offer remains open--the group will have to decide what to do.




you may roll either another Survival (DC 12) or a Search (DC 14), whichever is better for your characters, to determine the quality and relative safety of the campsite you find
__________________
ridin status: all good here.

NO xp please! It's no longer possible to earn negative xp. These gray dots are highly endangered! Don't kill them!
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Embrodak's Avatar
Embrodak Embrodak is offline
Lemon Eater
Good People  

Elder Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 24th, 2023
RPXP: 25373
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Posts: 20,223
Jorgen helps look for a safe spot for the night and weighs in when he spots a copse of trees that would provide cover to have a fire and not be spotted from the open road.

Getting camp settled the priest of the hunter god weighs in. "I agree with Preston. I think we should take the giant down."

 
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Ascendant's Avatar
Ascendant Ascendant is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 10th, 2011
RPXP: 82
Ascendant
Posts: 2,433
Ulric heads off a little to the side from Jorgen's site, trying to find a spot with less low-hanging branches over the firepit. He digs out a small hole in the dirt, the beginnings of a real pit that will hide the fire from view more easily and allow it to be smothered better, and enlists the help of the more physically adept members of the party to complete the task.

"I still say the giant is suicide, or worse,"
he quips. "I'm not getting anywhere close to it even if you guys are crazy enough to try and fight."

 
__________________
"Back me up, and I'll cut a path through these guys . . . Wait, did I say 'path?' I mean a five-lane blacktop highway with a two-lane service road - and I'm packin' a fist full of tokens and a radar detector." Belkar
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
TheChuck's Avatar
TheChuck TheChuck is offline
Big Muscles
Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 30th, 2024
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
Posts: 17,465
Preston scouts for a few moments around the campsite before beginning to help set up camp. While he's not familiar with the wilderness, he does know that some sort of precaution needs to be taken, and he knows how to scout, so that's what he does.
 


Upon returning to camp, Preston is just in time to hear Ulric's proclamation that he won't be assisting in the removal of the giant. The were-leopard sneers at Ulric, What, are you afraid? Would death not be preferable to an existence like ours anyway? What better way to die than trying to do something "noble" and "righteous" eh? Preston scoffs at Ulric's defiance, trying to goad the young man into joining with them.

After another moment, Preston's expression softens, Look, we have to work together to beat this thing, both the giant and the monster inside of us. We wouldn't have been drawn together otherwise.
__________________
Post of the Month! Go nominate someone!
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Ascendant's Avatar
Ascendant Ascendant is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 10th, 2011
RPXP: 82
Ascendant
Posts: 2,433
Ulric looks up at Preston, irritated. "Weren't you listening to what I said earlier? Even if you do get that 'glorious death' you desire, what's the point if we forfeit the lives and safety of all the human communities near here? So long as we're cursed, fighting that giant is worse than suicide." Ulric stares at the crackling flames of the campfire as they begin to flare to life. He absentmindedly picks up a long stick and puts one end into the flame until it starts to smoke, taking it out and moving the glowing red tip in a lazy figure eight in the air.

"Anyway, as you might have noticed, I'm not much use in a fight. If you all decide to fight the giant, I guess I'll come along, and use some of my magic to help. But don't expect me to stick around and sacrifice myself pointlessly if he kills all of you."
__________________
"Back me up, and I'll cut a path through these guys . . . Wait, did I say 'path?' I mean a five-lane blacktop highway with a two-lane service road - and I'm packin' a fist full of tokens and a radar detector." Belkar

Last edited by Ascendant; Nov 5th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Kainti's Avatar
Kainti Kainti is offline
Pissant
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2014
RPXP: 300
Kainti Kainti Kainti Kainti
Posts: 1,696
For a little while Sylin worked his way around the "camp", using casual observation and animal instinct to determine if this was a safe place to be. With a whine the wolf laid our on his side, ready to sleep. He hardly cared.

The quibbling noises were not of much concern, because Sylin was more of the here and now kind of guy. Here, right now, he wanted to not be a ****ing wolf anymore. The sooner the others shut up, the sooner he could get to sleep and wake up human again. Sleep without his ring would be interesting, there wasn't much to dream of before. That was a good thing, it left little room for guilt. Damn it all anyway.

Survival
Dice Roll:
(as this is an older post, these rolls are interpreted by the older (more basic) dice roller code)
d20+4: (5) + 4 Total = 9
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Embrodak's Avatar
Embrodak Embrodak is offline
Lemon Eater
Good People  

Elder Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 24th, 2023
RPXP: 25373
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Posts: 20,223
Jorgen sighs loudly, and turns looking at Ulric "You're right. Attacking the Giant may be suicide. Some of may be severely hurt or die. I really don't want to die."

He looks up in the sky. "You know what though, I really don't want to go on with this curse. Even though I am cursed I still don't want to die though. If I did want to die, I would have ended it long ago with one of these." he says as he pulls out a silver tipped arrow. He rubs the arrow head between this thumb and fingers.

"If I am going to go on, I am going to do my best to make up for the times I lose control. I lost control once, and I killed an innocent family. I can't change the past and will live with the knowledge the the beast inside me did such a horrible thing. I know I didn't do it, but I could stop it from happening with a swift stab in the throat... But I don't want to die. So I'll do what ever I can do make up for that act I made and for other I may still do. If I have to risk my life ending a separate different threat than I'll do it. If I die atleast I know the beast dies with me, and I'll die knowing I went out trying to do good."

The priest stops and stares at the arrow head for a moment and then reaches into his quiver and places it back. "So I we do what we can to stop this Giant. If you want to stay back out of direct harms way, then do so. Help us as best you can."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM
ridin gaijin's Avatar
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin is offline
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: -9600
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
Posts: 10,866
Ulric and Preston have found a very good campsite. The group settles in for the night. These woods are quiet, with only smaller nocturnal creatures out and about--nothing bigger then an owl, for sure. This may seem strange...until it's recalled that a giant, if indeed there is one, has a pretty big hunting range, and you may be in it.

Nevertheless the night passes peacefully enough. Appropriate watches are set and kept to. And the longish, cold autumn darkness gives way to a pale, misty, dawn. The sun rises, a silver disc devoid of much warmth. Everything is foggy, gray, soft. Visibility is down to 50' or so, you estimate.

Not everyone wakes up completely refreshed, though. Something is wrong with Jorgen: in fact, your bestially sharp senses detect it right away. He smells bad, very bad...of rotting flesh...




everyone gets a night's worth of full rest...but Jorgen, deduct 1 point Charisma


check rewards thread
__________________
ridin status: all good here.

NO xp please! It's no longer possible to earn negative xp. These gray dots are highly endangered! Don't kill them!

Last edited by ridin gaijin; Nov 10th, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Embrodak's Avatar
Embrodak Embrodak is offline
Lemon Eater
Good People  

Elder Event Judge  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 24th, 2023
RPXP: 25373
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Posts: 20,223
"Frell" JÚrgen curses. "I think those rusty spikes had something on them."

He sits up groggily and looks around, his normally tanned skin looking a bit pale. He sits cross legged, closes his eyes and lowers his head reverently.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 13th, 2024
RPXP: 35717
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 10,662
The big bear lumbers off, only to return sometime later in the night as Roy, naked as the day he was born, except for the long chain around his neck. Gladly he accepts the roll of belongings gathered from the pit for him. His club, his books, a few shreds of clothing. Not much. "Anybody got a needle and thread?" He was well used to repairing pants and shirt, huge fingers surprisingly nimble when it came to needlework. "I done this so many times I sometimes think I could work as a tailor."

Then the wind shifts and the big man wrinkles his nose. "Whoa, Jorgen, you feeling ok? ...'cause I gotta say, you don't smell ok."

Last edited by mountainbound; Nov 11th, 2008 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB