Old Jan 19th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 191
squirmonkey squirmonkey
Hello, nice to meet you all!

Hi Everyone,

I'm squirmonkey (he/him), a GM of ten or so years who got his start in DnD 3.5e, but has since had the pleasure to run games in a great variety of wonderful systems (3.5e, 5e, Blades in the Dark, Scum and Villainy, Band of Blades, Mouse Guard, Dungeon World, Masks: A New Generation, Phoenix Dawn Command, and probably a few others I'm not remembering... all with varying levels of success )

I've also had the chance to play in a handful of systems (3.5e, 5e, Masks, Numenera, Spire), though generally enjoying the role of GM means I'm usually the one running the show.

Recently, a lot of my gaming friends have moved out of the area, and while we tried to continue our 5e game online, the time needed to put graphics and stats into Roll20 for our sessions to stay at the quality level I wanted became too much for me. So I haven't been getting enough of my 5e fix, and I don't have a ton of people to play with.

I thought play-by-post might be an excellent way to re-integrate some RPG gaming into my life in small manageable-time doses.

I'm eager to get started playing, I've seen there's a "solo play" thing that's recommended for beginners, so I'll probably start there. After that, I'd love to get my fingers into something I haven't gotten to be a player in before, maybe The Burning Wheel or Scum and Villainy, or I guess I'll have to see what's running!

Last edited by squirmonkey; Jan 19th, 2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11335
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy squirmonkey,

Another awesome username. Where does it come from? Does it have any special meaning?

This is a great place to get your RPG fix. I've been playing a long time and this is the best PbP site I've come across. Hopefully once you get your feet under you here you'll want to tell your old players about it and then you can continue old campaigns.

Truth in lending, I'm a D&D player to my core. Lately it's been 5e, which I like a lot but my favorite version is AD&D. At one time or another I've played a whole host of RPGs. We have a little bit of everything here and lot of some games, D&D 5e and PF to be specific. What is your favorite character class? How about your favorite race if you have one? Brie of feta?

This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot. I sent a link to one such site below that has been going on continuously for over 40 years and has been only for close to twenty. I've been lucky to be a part of it for three years...so yes, there are some games that have longevity here. You should check out the Hall of Fame games over the years for others.

To start, you may want to check out a solo game. Even if you have PbP experience each site is a bit different.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.

Last edited by Ildrahil; Jan 19th, 2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:15 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6334
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Howdy squirmonkey, welcome to RPG Crossing.

The New Player Solo Game is an ideal place to start. The nice thing is that you don't have to wait until you finish to apply for any of the active games seeking players, if you see something that catches your eye.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
squirmonkey squirmonkey
Nice to meet you Ildrahil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post
Another awesome username. Where does it come from? Does it have any special meaning?
When I was a kid signing up for Runescape I needed a username. At the time I thought squirrel monkeys were god's gift to the world, and the name has stuck with me ever since

Quote:
What is your favorite character class? How about your favorite race if you have one? Brie of feta?
I'm partial to Clerics, Paladins, Rogues, and Barbarians, though I've enjoyed just about every class in DnD. Race... I don't know if I have a favorite race, but I like the occasional dwarf or gnome, and I had a really fun Triton character in a recent game. I'd say feta over brie, generally. I like the creamy center part of brie, but never developed a taste for the rind. When I cook with feta I'm always having to keep myself from just eating it.

Quote:
This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.
Wow, just took a quick look at that. It looks very intense!

There's a lot to see here it seems, and I'm still kind of getting the hang of navigating the forum and finding where stuff is. Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 07:14 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55266
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Squirrel monkeys ARE God’s gift to the world; you figured out the important secrets early in life!
Welcome to the site!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
squirmonkey squirmonkey
Kenjitsu, bananabadger,

Nice to meet you, thank you for your warm welcome!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 07:31 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5557
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

ĎAllo and Welcome squirmonkey!

May you have many grand adventures and meet new friends along the way.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83602
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

PbP is indeed a great way to game and manage your time (although, not always responsibly... i can sit down to write something, and a hour later, look up and wonder where my hour has gone!). Hope you have fun here, and thanks for bringing your imagination.

Happy gaming!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 01:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2192
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Ohhh - disappointed - thought it was Squirm on Key, never mind I shall put back the bagpipes of discomfort (no magic there its part of their nature).

Welcome and good luck getting your mates here too o7

Ski Season is coming up and whilst I have every intention to still be here stuff happens. NPC me as soon as you need to.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20413
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 10:06 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32893
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Pretty sure there's a story in that username, involving a wizard's tower and early research leading up to owlbears.... Welcome to RPG Crossing, squirmonkey! Have fun exploring the community! Let us know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
squirmonkey squirmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birched View Post
Pretty sure there's a story in that username, involving a wizard's tower and early research leading up to owlbears.... Welcome to RPG Crossing, squirmonkey! Have fun exploring the community! Let us know if you have any questions.
Now you listen here! The academy explicitly approved that trial, even if they did overlook some minor omissions in the "participant acquisition" section of the protocol. No need to call me out like that!
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 04:13 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33694
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodmorning squirmonkey,

Welcome over here and cool that you are as DM joining the Crossing! We can always use loads of DM's ;-).
So, what's the weather over there????

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 01:34 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
squirmonkey squirmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Goodmorning squirmonkey,

Welcome over here and cool that you are as DM joining the Crossing! We can always use loads of DM's ;-).
So, what's the weather over there????
Thanks for the welcome! Itís cold and rainy here lately.

As for my being a DM, thatís true, but Iím also a complete newcomer to pbp so Iíll likely need quite some time to get my feet under me before I start trying to run anything here haha
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 03:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6787
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, squirmonkey! And thanks for bringing all your RP experience with you! I've found that RPing in a PbP format opens up new possibilities for roleplaying than over tabletop. In that sense, it can be so much more immersive, which is awesome.

I hope you enjoy the site!