Nuric Nuric
Thank you for the warm welcome
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 05:00 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Nuric Nuric
The solo game sounds fun, and anything that helps me learn my way around is a good thing
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 05:01 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 115
Nuric Nuric
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the site, but I'll admit that I'm intrigued
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 06:47 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5361
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuric View Post
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the site, but I'll admit that I'm intrigued
I can be overwhelming at first, so just take your time and look around. If you have questions, just ask and someone will be happy to answer them.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 10:54 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11235
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Nuric,

This is simply amazing. I can't remember a time when so many old time players have joined up. Well, here's a hearty welcome to you. I started D&D back when it was a supplement in a miniatures game called Chainmail when I was 12 years old. That was quite a while back to be sure. In the decades since them I have tried more different RPGs than I care to remember. I really enjoyed one called L5R and another called King Arthur Pendragon but I always seem to find my way back to D&D. My favorite version was AD&D although 5e has been moving up the ladder quickly. How about you, do you have a favorite character class, race? How about any stories you want to share? Brie or feta?

This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot. I sent a link to one such site below that has been going on continuously for over 40 years and has been only for close to twenty. I've been lucky to be a part of it for three years...so yes, there are some games that have longevity here. You should check out the Hall of Fame games over the years for others.

You may want to check out a solo game. It'll help get your feet under you regarding the site mechanics and you'll also get a taste of the game mechanics offered here.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
supercapo
General Kenobi!

Sorry. I had to
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2485
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
Welcome to rpgX Nuric!

I also divide my pbp rpg fun between rpgX and other (independent) play-by-post games. This site can be overwhelming, but this is a friendly, welcoming bunch so don't hesitate to ask questions.

I haven't played Amber, but it sounds fascinating and I do prefer a diceless, narrative style of play.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
David VanDyke David VanDyke David VanDyke
If you haven't played Amber, you likely haven't read Amber. That's the first thing to remedy.

Roger Zelazny's Great Book of Amber, all ten novels in one volume, is usually available as a used trade paperback for about ten bucks online.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
THAN0S THAN0S THAN0S THAN0S
I might add to DvD's recommendation. I read the first three paragraphs of 9 Princes in Amber and bought the first 5 books as a poor high school student. 9/10 of the books are home runs, but even the 9th book is a double. Superbly written in stream of consciousness, Zelazny is easily heads my list of fantasy writers with Anne McCaffrey, Leo Frankowski, David Weber, and Timothy Zahn filling out the top 5.