Game Thread Chapter 1 - Lost - Page 11 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Lawless City > Group A
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 10329
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,146
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


Behind a practiced poker face, Damien's heart was in his throat as he watched Larzon stop just before running into his hazard. Rozitto's eyes were sharper than he'd given her credit for... and any moment, that miscalculation might have cost him dearly, if Liana hadn't gotten their attention on her way back inside. Slowly exhaling, Damien watched the rest chaotically play out as he approached Vyeggar, passing the half-orc's bundled shirt back to him.

"Looks like you'll live to wear this another day. I swear, our luck is going to run out taking risks inside these walls." Damien watched the Maztablastas re-enter, their body language telling enough to reveal a failed catch. Still one more man who would be living to see another day. Whether that was soon to change, only time would tell, but it hardly seemed like the geezer had much of a sense of self-preservation. Damien just hoped that Liana had at least learned something useful from him; running this little protection scheme again next time was liable to get them in deep trouble.



As their shift wrapped up, Sandraminae let the group know they only had a short window to plan before "bedtime". Gathering with the others, Damien was surprised at Vyeggar's shift in demeanor. He finally seemed to be opening up to the rest of them. Whether he was coming to terms with his need for help or had simply grown tired of being the bad guy, it felt like a shift in the right direction. None of them were friends... but for the moment, all of them were cohorts working to get out from under Tilly's boot. What individual goals they each had beyond that was certainly a factor, but as difficult as it might have been to acknowledge, their odds were far better working as a cohesive unit than as a group of self-serving individuals.

Regarding Vyeggar's request to not kill Kasturr until he'd had a chance to talk to the kobold, Damien nodded.

"You won't hear any protest from me on that... killing Kasturr on sight would be a waste of good information. Besides, a quick death wouldn't suit the little rat."

Finally on the subject of the mission at hand, Damien looked to the others as they voiced their own opinions of where they would be most useful, finally voicing his own perspective when the moment presented.

"The boyfriend and whatever he's got are secondary... but I think it's fair to say that if anyone is bothering to target Ariadne, they either don't know his location yet, or they already have him and are just looking for leverage to make him cooperate. With that in mind, we should ALL focus on the girl... at least for the moment. Most of the group should follow her as planned, but I'm going ahead to stake out the place. If they aren't planning to ambush her on the way home, they'll be waiting when she gets there, and some eyes on the scene ahead of your arrival could make a big difference. I could use someone watching my back, but it's not essential." Damien's eyes shifted over to Grim as he said the last part. The gnome had yet to chime in with ideas for the game plan, but Damien felt comfortable based on what he'd seen already that the man had exactly the kind of talents that would help keep him alive if the counter-surveillance went unexpectedly south. Rubbing his chin, Damien continued. "Whether they attack the girl in transit or once she gets home, priority one is obviously her safety. Priority two... keeping someone alive for questioning. The more we know about the enemy, the more we can do to help the boyfriend, whatever that may entail."

The best course of action where the boyfriend was concerned was difficult to determine with the limited info they had. It would depend pretty heavily on whose targets were on his back... and maybe even more importantly, just what the hell the guy was holding onto. If it was just some run of the mill valuable piece, maybe they could just broker a safe transaction on the kid's behalf. If it was something a little more... complicated... Tarbin's idea about scaring him into leaving town certainly had merit. First thing was first though; Sandraminae had asked them to protect the girl, and protect the girl they would do.



After the meeting was over, Damien felt a grip on his shoulder, and he turned to Vyeggar as the others departed for their rooms.

"I’m guessing a good part of what you wanted to talk about I covered earlier? Or is there something else we need to hash out?"

Crossing his arms, Damien cocked his head as he thought about his response before his eyes came back up to meet Vyeggar's.

"... the Damien who walked into this place the day we were hired would have had a lot of strong opinions about the way you've conducted yourself. The things you've said to some of the others. To me." He shrugged. "... interesting what a few days and the second biggest failure of one's life can do to their perspective. Honestly, we have nothing to hash out. I understand why you've held everyone at arm's length; frankly, I put a LOT of effort into pretending I don't do the same thing. Trust can be pretty costly... which is why I don't expect you to tell me what it is you're after at this place if you don't want to."

Damien's reached up, adjusting his glasses as he leaned in a bit.

"But I'll say this much; I see your value Vyeggar. You're smarter than you let on; pragmatic even. And you're damned useful... when you're not busy courting self-destruction. I won't bore you with a life story... suffice it to say, I'm here because Tilly's job offer presented an... opportunity. I need to fix this foul up with the chest... and if you can be the stable rock that this group needs, you have my word that I'll do whatever I can to help you find whatever it is you're looking for."

Damien offered Vyeggar a hand to shake. He wasn't sure whether the man would take it or not, but if he did, it would be a big step forward in consolidating their strength as a unit within the treacherous network of the casino.





__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Dec 13th, 2022 at 02:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 4693
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 940
Grim
right-aligned image

Grim watched with fascination as Larzon and his wife fell pray to his chicanery and headed to the back of the casino, his grin faltering a little as they seemed to catch on too quickly that they had been fooled and started to make their way outside but before he had a chance to try something else he was relieved to see Liana come back inside and the brief conversation she had with Larzon and Rozitto seemed to go in her favour, not that he really had any doubts that she could talk her way out of an awkward situation, the Halfling girls charms were an equal to his own, and likely even surpassed his as she was blessed with a few assets he did not have which would always hold more sway over some than a silver tongue.

The remainder of his shift passed quickly and uneventfully and all he had to do now was stay awake long enough to sit through a small impromptu planning meeting and he could take advantage of Sandraminae's offer of a warm comfortable bed and shake off the long and stressful day he had been suffering through rather grumpily. The rapid change in demeanour and fumbling apology from Vyeggar was a huge surprise to everyone, although perhaps they were doing the man a disservice being so shocked, despite his best efforts to appear otherwise, Grim had never doubted that the half Orc was much cleverer than he made out to be and he felt like Vyeggar and himself had some to a sort of mutual understanding since their small exchange at the riverbank. He was glad to see the others responding favourably towards the man, only Liana being the one who didn't seem to outright accept his apology, although knowing just how forthright and cutting her anger and tongue could be, it could be fair to say her silence was an acceptance of its own. Since their meeting Vyeggar and Liana seemed to have shared the most antagonism and animosity towards each other so it was reasonable that it would take longer for them to form a friendship

Wearily pushing himself out of the small chair he had been using, Grim strode up to Vyeggar and offered the man his hand with a grin

"We all have our tales and reasons for being here my friend, We are bound to butt heads from time to time, Can't have a pride of magnificent lions like us all together without expecting us growl now can you?"

Turning his smile to Liana, including her in his comments

"I'll help you both find Kastur and get answers. I believe i said it before, I have no intention of being some Assassin for the likes of Tilly bloody One Eye"

With the situation with Vyeggar resolved as far as he was concerned, Grim turned his attention to the matter of the girl, acknowledging Damien's look with a nod as he commented on someone watching his back and made eye contact with him "It does make sense that we dont all just follow the girl en masse, if we can find out where she lives Damien and I can head their first and keep an eye on the place. i'm sure between the two of us we can go unnoticed and spot any trouble brewing. I know Sandraminae said that the girl would likely turn down any offers of a walk home but it wouldn't hurt to try and there is no denying that our young mister Haldar is a strapping young man and easy on the eyes to a young lady like Ariadne, so it wouldn't hurt to try"

"if she turns you down but later see's you following her it could easily be explained away as you not feeling comfortable her walking home alone so you followed anyway and if she see's Tarbin she is likely to not look for others"

"Well if i am not going to get a good nights sleep and have to climb out of a bloody window then i am going to at least get a catnap before we go, so if you will excuse me i will take my leave"



Actions & Movement
 


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 02:39 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is online now
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 3934
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,866
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid's Casino J9 Harvest 103 of 120 7:00pm Sunset

The Evening The evening turned to night. Some of you ate. Some of you slept. Some of you slunk away into the city...


 


 
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 10:45 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 7392
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,411
Liana Xirkul and the Goblin Boy
right-aligned image
At the close of a busy day and evening, Liana napped until it came time to be woken for the mission protecting Ariadne.

For the moment she was largely lost in her thoughts, both of the current mission, and unknown challenges ahead.

To her allies she murmurs: "I may have stumbled upon cause to raid some band of elven bandits. Maybe. If you are interested in a side-expedition, someday."

Then at another moment she asked, to no one in particular. "What do we know about the Citadel?" She reflected. She didn't grow up around here and hasn't been in town for more than a handful of days; but the Citadel was apparently reasonably well known and perhaps someone had spoken of it recently.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Dec 13th, 2022 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 05:07 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is online now
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 9304
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,223
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image



Tarbin emerged from one of the bedrooms and slowly made his way down. Along the way he made sure to nod at or greet any of the staff that he passed, he had after all been making an effort to get to know as many of the staff as possible.

When his name was called Tarbin stepped forwards and accepted his pay with a quiet nod. He noted that security was not the highest paying role in the casino but he had still earned gold for a single nights work so it was nothing to turn your nose up at.

Tarbin then watched closely as Ariadne stepped forwards to collect her own pay, he almost frowned at the sigh of the young woman still wearing her skimpy uniform with two money pouches prominently on display. If she went outside like that she would be a large target for a number of depraved individuals and petty thieves let alone the gang that were interested in her boyfriend. Tarbin had perhaps been watching a little to closely as it resulted in a near collision though perhaps that had been for the best as it seemed to serve as an icebreaker.

Tarbin chuckled slightly at the statement. ”That would be me. Tarbin, Tarbin Haldar at your service ma’am” the large man replied politely as he tipped his straw hat which was once again perched atop his head. ”And I took no offence at the fiery little zealot, we all have our own beliefs just some more than others and well some can just be a bit more vocal about it…” Tarbin declared diplomatically with a slight shrug of his large shoulders.

”What about you miss? Are you a follower of the three sisters?” Tarbin enquired as he approached the young woman moving away from the group now that he had been paid.




Last edited by Alatere; Dec 14th, 2022 at 05:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is online now
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 11759
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 3,151
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14
Earlier...

Vyeggar looked down at Damien and nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, I think we can work together. I don't know what Tilly's got on you, but if you need any help, you know, besides the chest, well-" And here he grasped the other man's hand and gave it a firm shake. "I hope that's answer enough."



Peace filled Vyeggar's soul for the first time in a great while. He felt Honeydrop run her fingers through his hair gently. "Honeydrop... that's beau..." He never finished the sentence. He was already asleep.

And then, all too quickly, she was gently dislodging his head and standing up. He was immediately alert, thinking he was in danger, before he realized that he was safe and that his sweet consort was leaving.

"Wait a moment? I - that was - I haven't slept that well, that peacefully, in so long. You ... Here." He had run out of words, so instead he simply held out his 38 gpearnings from the evening. "I have not always been a good person to those around me, even those who were trying to help, as my halfling companion has been quick to point out. You showed me real kindness, and... and maybe... maybe I could, I dunno,..." Suddenly bashful, he found his eyes drawn to the ground. "Well, anyway, I want you to have this. Even if you don't want to see me in the daylight, I'll be happy knowing that I was able to help you after you helped me." A pause, then, "I know I'm not much to look at anymore, but... it was nice to feel wanted, even if you were just doing your job." He half-raised his arms like he was going in for a hug, then stopped himself. "Well, anyway, enjoy the rest of your evening." The moment felt like it had passed, and he watched her tossle her hair and leave the room. "Goodnight, Honeydrop," he said quietly after her.



Having been "awoken" by Sandramine for that evening's task, Vyeggar followed the woman down the stairs and into the throng of those who were awaiting their daily payout. The half-orc felt no regrets about doling out the entirety of his winnings to the goblin prostitute. He didn't need the money near as much as she did. There was no chest she could find to free herself from Tilly's bondage - this was her life. She made her living by debasing herself. And she had been kind to him - or she was a good enough actress to pretend to care. It had been enough for him, and meant so much more than just getting his rocks off - not that there was anything wrong with that either. He sighed, which drew a glance from Sandramine upon the stairs.

"Honeydrop was very nice," he told her. Of course, she won't really know what I am referring to, not unless Honeydrop talks, which I don't imagine she will. But even if she does, so what? 'Oh no, I might develop a reputation for being a nice guy!' Perish the thought...

After the payout, Vyeggar got the attention of Liana and Tarbin. He didn't know exactly what they were intending to do to keep Ariadne safe, but he knew three felt like a crowd. Liana's news about bandits intrigued him, however. He looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was observing them and, once he felt they were clear, he whispered, "Bandits sound like fun. Time and place, that's all I need. Who knows, maybe one of them will lead us to Kasturr's nest." He cleared his throat. "Listen, about tonight: it's going to be much easier to explain if we get seen if we're not a threesome - er, trio. I think I'll make my way down her road from the other side. She doesn't really know us personally, but I'm sure she's seen us about in the casino, and she'll have a harder time buying our bull about not watching her if it just looks like you two are out on a date." Besides, I could use a break from this place and the people in it for a while. A nice walk might be the perfect thing to clear my head.

 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...
Posting status: trying to get over a nasty cold. limited posting, dependent on my level of consciousness

Last edited by Noquarter19; Dec 20th, 2022 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 4693
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 940
Grim
right-aligned image

After his encounter with his pleasantly surprising visitor Grim managed to catch a very short nap before it was time for him to leave and meet Damien for their scouting trip to Burnett Mews South. He perhaps shouldn't have slept at all, the short break had left him feeling more exhausted than he already felt but hopefully the clear night air would help wake him up, either that or a fall from the window. Grim grumbled to himself as he scrambled up to the window and made his way down the side, cursing long-limbed elves and their inconsiderate nature for those born with shorter limbs and heavier frames.

Luckily Grim had been born and raised aboard a mighty sailing ship and was no stranger to climbing the rigging and masts in his time so he made it down the uneven walls of the Dead Mermaid without incident, although it was by no means a graceful climb. He fortunately didn't witness Damien's own escape or he would likely be even more annoyed with tall graceful people, he would however make good use of his companions height and stride as he followed in the wake the man made as they navigated the streets to Burnett Mews. The Vishkanya seemed to know where he was going and guided them through the streets like a native but unfortunately once they arrived and looked around the collection of buildings, noting that each one seemed to hold multiple residences that native knowledge proved unhelpful in locating which building and apartment they should be watching as neither of them knew which belonged to Ariadne.

Taking note of the guardsmen and the family, Grim quickly moved towards one of the small alleyways and propped himself up against the wall out of their path. any other time and he would likely offer the family aid, as he would the goblin clearly struggling with the pack but today their goal was to be unnoticed and he didn't want to get drawn into interacting with the residents and drawing attention.

Motioning Damien to join him, Grim told the man his plan in a quiet voice "keep an eye out for trouble, I am going to attempt to find out which apartment belongs to Ariadne. I will try to commune with the whispering spirits of the stones"

That was all Grim said as he slide down the wall into a seated position and closed his eyes, as if he expected Damien to know what he was going to do, everyone knew about the whispering spirits of course. his short but nimble fingers danced in smooth circling patterns as he whispered mumbled phrases in an unknown language, tapping into his magic and calling to the spirits in the street for answers, opening his senses to the psychic impressions and remnants infused into the buildings and the grove from countless residents and incidents throughout the years which inhabited the neighbourhood. He attempted to absorb that knowledge and guide the whispers into telling him where the young dark haired Ariadne rested her head


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Cast Whispering Lore Spell - Knowledge Local to get the streets to tell him where Ariadne lives
Dice Knowledge Local:
1D20+10 (11)+10 Total = 21

Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:
Conditions:


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 09:18 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 10329
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,146
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


Dressing rather quickly after his "visitor" made her exit, Damien's mind buzzed with a mix of thoughts and theories... and emotions. He was frustrated... but not discouraged. If anything, the conversation had left him even more driven than before to rise to a station more suitable for his talents. What he would do to get there, where it would take him next, and who exactly he'd have at his side when the time came... that, the man still needed to figure out.

But not tonight. Tonight, he had work to do. Navigating his way carefully and quietly down the side of the building, Damien met Grim out in the street, and together the two made for Burnett Mews South. The journey there went smoothly enough in spite of the crowds, with Damien familiar enough with the area to navigate. He had to admit that the neighborhood they were traveling TO on the other hand was less familiar to him, and as the citizens thinned out on their final approach, Damien was becoming more cognizant of one rather distinct disadvantage he faced in doing this recon: he stuck out. Vishkanya weren't exactly common in the city to begin with, particularly ones as well-dressed as him. That wasn't such a big deal in the more populated areas, but in a small, quiet corner of town like this, it might very well work against him.

Luckily, Grim had something more subtle in mind than interacting with the locals, and the vishkanya was doubly glad for having enlisted the gnome's help in this. He admittedly had a very sparse idea of what "communing with the whispering spirits of the stones" was supposed to do, but if it helped the pair hone in on which of the buildings they should be most focused on, Damien was happy to keep watch in the interim.

"Just be quick about it Grim... honestly, I think the less we're seen together while we're out here, the better."

Posting up against the wall outside of the alley, Damien kept a calm vigil over the street as he waited for the results of Grim's ritual.
Rolls & ActionsDamien will keep watch while Grim tries to suss out the right building (keep a particularly close eye on the guard who seems to be approaching them)

Perception: 17
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 03:12 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 4693
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 940
Grim
right-aligned image

With his spell complete, the voices began, soft whispers growing loud and more numerous as they echoed in his ears and he tried to focus his attention on separating the useful from the mundane and trivial. One voice was louder than the others.

"Just be quick about it Grim... honestly, I think the less we're seen together while we're out here, the better."

Luckily his new companion had chosen to wait until his spell was complete so it didn't interrupt the casting and with the euphoric hum of magic once more running through his body, Grim was feeling playful, whispering Prestidigitation effectsmore magics before he opened his eyes to look at his friend. when the Gnome's eyelids opened his eyes were pure white orbs with no Iris or pupil, as his lips parted a soft blue wisp of smoke floated out as he spoke, his voice sounding much much older and with an echo overlapping, as if two voices were speaking at once from the same mouth

"All things in their time Mr Buranta, The mysteries of the hidden worlds will reveal themselves to those with the patience to stop and listen"

Reaching out a hand, Grim sweep his palm across the street slowly as his echoing voice whispered and mumbled, sometimes raising louder

"No, you weird goblin, I'm not use my apartment to... oh... that's a lot of gold..."

"And you're sure he doesn't have it? Ok, we'll just have to stake it out. I know him, he'll come through."

"For the last time, we did not order a giant trampoline!" "You know, pal, you coulda told me that before I set it up.

"Ok, Ariadne, make sure you bring it after work. I'm counting on you."

With a long exhalation, a plume of blue mist escaped Grim's mouth as his white eyes faded and his pupils returned, his voice returning to normal as his outstretched hand curled to point to the Middle building. "That one there, she lives on the ground floor but i can't narrow it down more than that. I suspect she is carrying the missing item on her person right now"


Actions & Movement
 


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 11:57 PM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is online now
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 3934
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,866
 


 
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 09:25 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 7392
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,411
Liana Xirkul following along stealthily
right-aligned image
Liana was vaguely aware that her comrades were having a variety of their own side conversations, but this group thrown together by coercion and rushing hither and yon with diverse agendas was more than she could keep track of. And she had a backlog of what, three, four missions to pursue ... people to protect ... vengeance to achieve. One thing at a time.

Liana's intent was to follow, at a fair bit of distance as to not attract attention. Were the lady or Tarbin to come under assault, she would prefer to have the drop on and counter-ambush whoever assails them. If in the process she remained near any of her allies, that was a bonus.

As a small halfling, she was naturally stealthy. Dim light and darkness was her natural element. She accomplished her tasks of staying zealously stealthy and alert with expertise and steady focus.

Where is the threat? Where is the risk to Ariadne? she thought, scanning everyone and every shadow with suspicion. She tried as well to register the positions of her allies.

Her feet moved softly over the rugged cobblestones, and she made no more sound that the soft night breeze. Yet she could not help but feel a constant level of anxiety. She was out to protect a young woman, but the city was hardly safe for herself. What an irony if she fell prey to some predator of the night while she was trying to guard someone else against such a fate? She kept at that back of her mind a constant readiness to drop into the stance of piercing rays. Having a magical knack at her ready was at least some comfort.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Jan 2nd, 2023 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 03:35 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is online now
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 11759
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 3,151
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14


”Didn’t know you needed help,” Vyeggar responded defensively to the raging one-eye’d woman who accosted him as he tried to leave the casino. She could have been covered in blood and he wouldn’t have batten an eye, but the brush in her hand indicated that the liquid she was smeared with was much less sinister. ”I’d have helped if I’d been awake.” He shrugged. ”Sadly, clairvoyance was not something I was blessed with – instead I just got these rock hard pecs.” He thrust out his chest and made his muscles dance from side to side, grinning with what teeth he had. ”I was just going to take a walk, clear my head. I don’t mind, though, if you’ve got more dirty work for me. We can’t all be front-line performers like the sweet Liana.” A pause, then, ”Not that there’s anything wrong with what she does – I mean, she’s gorgeous, and I’m… well, you know what those goons did to my face. Only way a woman’d want to be with me is with the lights out.”

His eyes went steely as she idly brought up his brother. Did she know how he’d manipulated Sandramine into revealing what she knew about Valdik? She must have, but if she didn’t, he certainly wasn’t going to bring it up. Yet he couldn’t help but feel buoyed slightly by what she’d said. She hadn’t come right out and said it, but the fact that she was even remotely aware of him and his concern was… comforting. He could see now why Sandramine valued Tilly’s leadership. ”Thanks. I’ll, uh, I’ll keep out of trouble until you… until you ask them.” Her thin veneer of concern was new to him, and the shell of hostility he had used to keep the rest of the casino folk at bay had already begun to split asunder earlier that evening. These were not his enemies – at least, there was nothing immediate to indicate he should treat them as such. Maybe Sandramine was right… maybe he could find a place here. Maybe.

Not knowing what else to say to Tilly, he pushed the door open and stepped out into the cooling air of early evening. The sky had gone indigo en route to full dark and was pinpricked by glowing white stars. Vyeggar looked up and sighed. You’re out there somewhere, little bro, and I’m going to find you and bring you home safe. And if anyone has hurt you, I will rip their f**king arms out of their sockets and beat them to death with them. The thought seemed to give him a strange measure of comfort, and he carried that feeling with him as he stepped onto the opposite end of Burnett Mews South.

Vyeggar had said he would help, and here he was, helping… and Ariadne was nowhere to be seen. He knew that Damian and Grim had set off earlier to stakeout a spot to watch from, and he
Dice * Perception (Grim/Damian):
1d20+3 (8)+3 Total = 11
kept an eye out for them as well. As far as he understood the mission, it was to discreetly keep the girl safe. He had seen Tarbin talking to her back at the casino and wondered if the farmer had a fundamental misunderstanding of what discreet meant. Still, if she ended up cottoning to the little sodbuster and let him walk with her, that’d seem to work as well, right? After all, they just needed to get her home safely? He realized he should have paid more attention, but this whole “giving a damn about other people’s problems” thing was foreign to him. He’d get there, probably. Maybe.

Along the way he passed a few whores and one strange bird who was talking to a rock in her hand. Takes all kinds, he thought amusedly. His irritation was starting to grow, however. Where were Grim and Damien? Where was the damn house? Where was the damn girl? A part of him was growing restless as being out here by his lonesome, especially after how he’d been beaten by the guards. Not that his other four companions had put up much of a fight in his defense, but at least it had brought him a small, so very small, measure of comfort to not be alone when he was beaten unconscious. Out here there would be no one to be on his side. He hurried on, walking swiftly but not running, acting casually but not trying to hide, and hoping that he would see one of his other companions along the nearly deserted street.

 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...
Posting status: trying to get over a nasty cold. limited posting, dependent on my level of consciousness
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 02:09 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is online now
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 10329
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,146
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


Damien watched the guard as he passed, his gaze following the disgruntled man's retreating back as he grumbled about goblins. Once he was a good distance away, the vishkanya exhaled slightly, turning back toward his companion. Grim had told him to be patient... never the most appealing thing to hear, but something he was exceptional at when the moment called for it. And it wasn't as though Damien had much else to do until they got some more concrete answers anyway. Deferring to the gnome's expertise, Damien slunk a little deeper into the shadows and waited, occasionally breaking from his surveillance over the street to watch Grim at work with mild curiosity. Personally, Damien had never found much comfort or benefit to spirituality; he preferred to rely on himself than the shadowy blessings or gifts of otherworldly beings. Still, he saw its usefulness in those who practiced it, and he hoped that, whatever spirits Grim was communing with, they had some useful intel to share.

He wasn't disappointed either, as Grim came out of his trance with not only the correct building, but a valuable piece of unexpected news on the location of the precious object.

"Almost makes sense... boyfriend probably figured it was safer to leave the thing with someone he could trust instead of carrying it on him. That might work if he was discrete or he could handle himself... but the fact that we're out here in the first place is evidence that neither is true." The vishkanya shook his head, fixing his sights on the middle building.

Before long, the stake out bore even greater fruit in the form of the very people Damien had been hoping to catch sight of; the would be attackers. He was a little surprised to find them so... cavalier. Clearly, they didn't expect difficulties on this snatch and grab. And it was no wonder, as one of the goblins was revealed to be... sure enough, the spineless boyfriend himself.

"Looks like your spirits were right on the money Grim." Damien muttered from their hiding spot. "Gave it to her for safekeeping... but the little coward sang like a canary." As the belligerent goblins continued on toward the building, Sliggitz and "Big Fox", Dami-something apparently, stayed behind for a brief exchange; a threatening reminder of why the plan needed to go well. Big Fox sounded desperate to prove himself to these "Bigs"... and Damien couldn't help but wonder if his current status had anything to do with this poor excuse for a goon squad the elf was using. Was it the best he could afford to wrangle up for such an important job? Or did he simply like feeling like the biggest and most intimidating one in a room? He matched the type for sure.

But there was something else that grabbed Damien's attention too; the odd little weapon. He'd never seen anything quite like it before, but judging by the way it was making Sliggitz shake in his little goblin boots, it was probably better not to underestimate it. As the two followed the others toward the building, Damien straightened up, brushing his shoulder as he moved back up toward the entrance to the alley.

"Don't suppose you're any good at pickpocketing, are you Grim?" Damien looked on after the elf. "... never mind. Anyway, I'm going to follow them and see what else I can learn. You should keep watch for the others... let them know what we know. Big Fox clearly isn't expecting interference... hiding out inside her place is probably the biggest favor he could have done for us. Now we can use their ambush to trap them instead." Preparing to depart, he gave the gnome one last glance. "Thoughts, my friend?"
Rolls & Actions
Trying to recall anything Damien can about "The Bigs"; who they are, their organization, etc.

Knowledge - Local: 13

Once he and Grim are done talking/planning, Damien will follow Big Fox and Sliggitz at a safe distance.

Stealth: 19
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 04:08 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 4693
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 940
Grim
right-aligned image

Standing from his trance, Grim twisted and stretched out his back from even the brief rest against the cold cobblestones and brick, listening to his companion as he voices his thoughts aloud, agreeing with Grims information that it was likely the girl Ariadne was carrying the item. If only they had some way of telling the others what they had discovered they could relieve the girl of the item long before she reached her home and the ambushing waiting to happen.

They of course were only guessing that is what was planned but with the arrival of a loud group of Goblins, including the girls supposed boyfriend and surprisingly an elfboy it seems that their guess was an accurate one as the group heading into the building to await the girls arrival. The whisper-shouted conversation carried over to Grim and Damien, the words adding more to the story of Ariadne but not really revealing more than what they already know.

The boyfriend has given the item to Ariadne for safe keeping and some local gang wannabe calling himself Big Fox wanted it to impress the "Bigs" whoever they were, Grim had no clue at all, though whoever they were he found their choice of name both amusing and offensive. What worried him the most though was the weapon in the Elf's hand, he had seen its like before on his travels and its appearance here in Julianople was worrying. It also revealed a curious contradiction about the Elf.

If his appearance didn't let anyone looking know he came from wealth then the item in his hand surely would. Grim had not seen any but Nobility wield such an item but if this elf was indeed a Noble why was he consorting with Goblins to steal something to impress a local gang of thugs? When Damien mentioned his intentions and asked for his thoughts and his talents for picking pockets, Grim told him exactly that

"Be very careful my friend, something is not right about all this. That weapon the elf is carrying is a Flintlock, sometimes called a Dragonfire pistol. It is exceedingly rare and very dangerous. It is also an extortionately expensive weapon to be carrying in places like this. If the Elf has the coin for something like that i can't imagine what he has the need of Sliggitz and these "Bigs" for. Its a concern."

"Hmmm so relieve the girl of the item before she gets into the building? yes that could work but it wont be easy. If it were anyone else asking my friend i could get offended there but yes i have some experience with lightening pockets, purely for amusement purposes of course you understand?" Grim added with a big grin which was so obviously fake it was laughable.

"If i were being honest i would say i am proficient but i'm no expert, especially if i don't know where on her person she is carrying it. Hell we don't even know what "it" is do we?. Perhaps we might be better suited to letting this Elf get his hands on the item and keep watching. he seems the type vain enough to show it off so we will know what it is and can retrieve it later?"

"At least if you follow this Big Fox we can narrow down which room is Ariadne's and keep her safe. that was our assignment wasn't it? i don't recall Sandraminae asking us to retrieve this item, well i know she didn't ask it of me but there was some whispering going on between her and Vyeggar so perhaps he has a different assignment. I will stay here and keep an eye out for them coming and if the opportunity arises i may be able to acquire the item before the girl makes it inside"

"When they get closer i can at least let the others know the girl is carrying the item if they haven't figure that out themselves already"


Actions & Movement
 


Stat Block
 

Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 05:06 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is online now
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 9304
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,223
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
Tarbin made a low good natured chuckle at Ariadne's words. "Don't be worrying about me miss I'm more than capable of standin up for my own beliefs but the fact you wanted to defend me means a lot" Tarbin declared as a smile slowly spread across his features. "And the three sisters were there for me when I was at my lowest and I needed them the most so I guess you could say they earned my worship aswell..." Tarbin agreed before leaning in and whispering. "Besides as far as I can tell the worshipers of the Heavenly Masters have just broken down each individual aspect of the three sisters and named a god or goddess after it... but don't tell them I said that..." Tarbin whispered with a conspiratorial wink.

Tarbin then stood back and watched the little interplay between Fletcher and Ariadne and allowed her to storm towards the exit though he did prepare himself to follow though the fortunes seemed to be smiling upon him as rather than leave immediately the young woman headed back towards him.

"Tarbin miss... just Tarbin" Tarbin corrected the young woman when she came back to talk to him. "And it would be no trouble at all miss, I could do with stretching my legs..." Tarbin replied. The large man then looked at Ariadne and frowned for a moment. "Now you will be safe enough with me but do you not want to change out of your uniform before going outside? There are folk who would take advantage of a lady dressed so..." Tarbin suggested with a look of concern. "I also wouldn't keep those on show..." Tarbin added in a whisper as he lent in slightly and meaningfully glanced towards the coin pouches.




Despite it being a favour and a job Tarbin actually found the walk with Ariadne rather pleasant. She was a friendly girl and a good talker and it was nice to talk to someone who shared a few of his beliefs. Ofcourse half of Tarbin's attention was not on the conversation at all and was instead searching the surroundings for threats. The abrubt stop however took the large man a little by surprise "Oh it was no trouble and I am in now rush..." Tarbin replied politely as he glanced about. "I'd be more than happy to escourt you right to your door..." Tarbin then offered. "And if you ever need an escourt again your conversation is more than worth the trouble" Tarbin added with a smile as he reached up and rubbed the back of his head.



oocRolled a 16 for Perception for looking out for threats

Last edited by Alatere; Jan 2nd, 2023 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB