Game Thread Chapter 1 - Lost - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Lawless City > Group A
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 01:11 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 7342
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,277
Liana Xirkul
right-aligned image
(All of this is contingent on the kobold not immediately falling asleep. If he does .... ignore this and I'll do something else.)

Being in a party that is fired on, and having spotted the malicious character, Liana took prompt action.

From the little lady came a sound like a lion's roar, +2 Morale bonus to hit and damage for three roundsencouraging and heartening both her and her allies.

Hearted by that power of the Golden Lion discipline, she the used her compartmentalized mind to enhance her skill and sleight of hand.

Then, taking careful aim and the dangling target -- surely he could not dodge agilely while so suspended -- she fired, using her discipline of the Tempest Gale to attempt to deftly disarm him. As he is trying to get away, and using ropes, surely dropping his get-away rope would cause him to have a bad day...

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Oct 26th, 2022 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 4643
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 904
Grim
right-aligned image


Stepping out of the ladder back into the shop, his new "puppy" floating happily along behind him, Grim is pleased to see the rest of the group are all there and have dealt with the situation, he is relieved that no one seemed hurt and the Apothecary seemed dejected and resigned to answer their questions, no doubt hoping the sooner she spoke the quicker they would all leave and let her get back to business. A business it seems she ran for this Talafax he kept hearing about. perhaps they should try to speak to him and see what he knew about the missing chest.

Grim was barely able to hide his wide grin as Dena gave him the opportunity

"Ooooooooh, sure. Help yourself, gnome, he'll definitely be pissed with you!"

Grim have her his most charming smile as he replied "My Dearest Lady, you misunderstand me, this isn't me helping myself, but merely an invitation for your employer to come and join us for drinks and a conversation. If he is willing to do that and answer a few simple questions which i am sure a man of his standing will have no difficulty answering then i will happily return the items i am keeping safe for him"

"He is of course entitled to be annoyed with me and try to resolve the situation another way but i'm sure you are more than capable to convincing him that it wouldn't be in his best interests to do so, you are clearly an extremely capable apothecary so you must recognise what this is?"

Grim hadn't appeared to move but where once his hand was empty there was now a small glass container with a white powder inside between his fingers.

"Odourless, Tasteless and extremely dangerous. You will of course have heard of Iocane powder and know what it does to anyone who ingests it? its remarkable the things you can pick up in strange exotic ports isn't it?"

"I am sure you can convince a man of Talafax's intelligence that it would be better for him to come to a meeting and retrieve his product than to try and retaliate and suffer the damage to his business that happens when word gets out that the product he is selling is tainted. All those free samples he was giving out of Red Sunshine were laced with a dangerous substance? i'm sure the backlash to his profit margins would be quite upsetting"

Grim was laying it on a little thick but he was only half bluffing, he was more than willing, and spiteful enough to ruin the mans reputation if he retaliated but the white powder in the glass jar was in fact just fine white sand from his scribing supplies he had palmed, he used it to speed up the drying of the ink on maps and documents, if he mixed it with the Red Sunshine he doubted anyone would even notice, perhaps at most getting an upset stomach but he wasn't about to tell the Witch that.

He didn't get the chance to see if his bluff was working on her, he hoped she would have ego enough to not want her employees to know she didn't know something like that, but before she could respond the Door was slammed shut loudly grabbing everyone's attention, the appearance of a gleaming crossbow bolt in a shower of splinters was even more attention grabbing and it certainly had an effect on the Kobold's. Grim himself was momentarily stunned but his companions were clearly experiences warriors and all reacted with admirable speed and certainty

Peeking out of the reopened doorway Grim could not make out the figure but he trusted Kara's work when she called out "Right there! He's getting away!" and once more Damien proved himself fast on his feet and with a spell casting acumen to match, once more calling on the magical slumber he had induced so ably in the basement


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Bluff on Dena to convince her Grim would poison the Red Sunshine and had the poison on hand
Dice Bluff Check:
1D20+11 (20)+11 Total = 31

Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:


Stat BlockKitwix Hillivi Grimzinta / Grim
Chaotic Good | Gnome - Traveller | Sorcerer - Mongrel Mage

HP: 5 | AC: 11 | Initiative: +0 | Low-Light Vision

Passive Perception: 14 | Speed: 20

STR 7 (-2) | DEX 10 (+0) | CON 8 (-1) | INT 15 (+2) | WIS 14 (+2) | CHA 22 (+6)

Fortitude Save -1 | Reflex Save +0 | Will Save +2

Weapons: Finesse, Thrown 10ft. +1 Attack (1 Damage, 19-20/x2)Dagger (4) | Finesse, +1 Attack (1 Damage)Brass Knuckles


Features and Abilities: Common, Gnome, Sylvan, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling, Orc, Goblin, Draconic, UndercommonLanguages | Armor: None
Weapons: Simple/Finesse
Skills: Acrobatics:+0, Appraise: +2, Bluff: +11, Climb:-2, Craft:+2, Diplomacy:+11, Disguise:+6, Escape Artist:+0, Fly:+0, Heal:+3, Intimidate:+6, Knowledge (Local):+6, Perception:+4, Perform:+6, Ride:+0, Sense Motive:+2, Sleight of Hand: +4, Stealth:+4, Survival:+2, Swim:-1
Proficiencies
Sorcerer Traits: A sorcerer casts arcane spells drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list presented in Spell Lists. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer's spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer's Charisma modifier

Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Sorcerer. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells).

A sorcerer's selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of her choice. At each new sorcerer level, she gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by her Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of through study

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the sorcerer loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level.
Spellcasting | Each sorcerer has a source of magic somewhere in her heritage that grants her spells, bonus feats, an additional class skill, and other special abilities. This source can represent a blood relation or an extreme event involving a creature somewhere in the family's past. For example, a sorcerer might have a dragon as a distant relative or her grandfather might have signed a terrible contract with a devil. Regardless of the source, this influence manifests in a number of ways as the sorcerer gains levels. A sorcerer must pick one bloodline upon taking her first level of sorcerer. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

At 3rd level, and every two levels thereafter, a sorcerer learns an additional spell, derived from her bloodline. These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. These spells cannot be exchanged for different spells at higher levels.

At 7th level, and every six levels thereafter, a sorcerer receives one bonus feat, chosen from a list specific to each bloodline. The sorcerer must meet the prerequisites for these bonus feats.
Bloodline | Sorcerers learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.Cantrips | You can cast many spells without needing to utilize minor material components.
Benefit: You can cast any spell with a material component costing 1 gp or less without needing that component. The casting of the spell still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal. If the spell requires a material component that costs more than 1 gp, you must have the material component on hand to cast the spell, as normal.
Eschew Materials | | A mongrel mage is a sorcerer whose bloodline is so weak, or mixed with so many others, that her power isn’t clearly associated with any bloodline source. A mongrel mage’s bloodline powers can change on a daily basis, but always fall short of those of a full-blooded sorcerer’s powers. A mongrel mage is a dabbler in all bloodlines but a master of none, and she is looked down upon by true sorcerersMongrel Mage | At 1st level, a mongrel mage has an innate pool of magical energy, known as her mongrel reservoir, that she can draw upon to activate her weakened bloodline. Her mongrel reservoir can hold an amount of magical energy equal to 3 + her sorcerer level. Each day when refreshing her spell slots, her mongrel reservoir is restored to full. The mongrel reservoir can never hold more points that the total mentioned above; points gained in excess of this maximum are lost.

Each day when she refreshes her spell slots, the mongrel mage selects one sorcerer bloodline. She must select an ordinary bloodline with this ability, not one altered by the wildblooded archetype or any other archetype. She gains this bloodline’s 1st-level bloodline power for that day, using it as if she were only a 1st-level sorcerer. (If this ability is used to gain an arcane bond and the bonded item is selected, she can use the item only to cast a 1st-level spell known, as she counts as only a 1st-level sorcerer.) A mongrel mage can have only one bloodline selected at a time.

As a swift action, she can expend 1 point from her mongrel reservoir to activate that bloodline, allowing her to use its 1st-level bloodline powers as well as its bloodline arcana at her full sorcerer level, including using a bonded item from an arcane bond. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 1)
Mongrel Reservoir (4)
Current Chosen Bloodline & Ability: 6 / 7 rounds[/color])"]At 1st level, you can cloak yourself in illusory magic as a standard action, making you invisible (as per invisibility) for a number of rounds per day equal to your sorcerer level + your Charisma bonus (if any).
These rounds need not be used consecutively
Naga - Vanishing ([color="Red
Character Feats: Visiting so many large, exotic cities has put you in touch with many diverse civilizations, cultures, and races.
Benefit: You can speak and read two additional languages of your choice. In addition, choose two Intelligence-, Wisdom-, or Charisma-based skills. Those skills always count as class skills for you
Worldly Traveller
Gnome Traits: Gnomes are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.Small Size | Gnomes have a base speed of 20 feetSlow Speed | Gnomes can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim lightLow-Light Vision Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checksKeen Senses | Gnomes love languages and learning about those they meet. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics skillGift of Tongues | Gnomes study languages in both their mundane and supernatural manifestations. Gnomes with this racial trait add +1 to the DC of spells they cast with the language-dependent descriptor or those that create glyphs, symbols, or other magical writings. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against such spells. Gnomes with Charisma scores of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome’s levelMagical Linguistics | The character has a mystic connection to one terrain type, selected from the ranger's favored terrain list. The character selects three 0-level druid spells and one 1st-level druid spell. If the character has a Charisma score of 11 or higher, when in the selected terrain, she gains these spells as spell-like abilities that can be cast once per day. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user's character level. The DC for the spell-like abilities is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the user's Charisma modifier. These spells are treated as being from a fey source for the purposes of the druid's resist nature's lure class feature and similar abilities.Fey Magic - Urban | Gnomes with this racial trait are skilled at imitating sounds and voices. Doing so requires a Bluff check opposed by the listener’s Sense Motive check, and the gnome gains a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to mimic sounds (including accents and speech patterns) she has listened to for at least 10 minutes. Listeners unfamiliar with a particular sound take a –4 penalty on the Sense Motive check.Sound Mimicry
Character Traits: For unknown reasons, you have deeper reserves of magical energy than those around you. Perhaps you are descended from a family of powerful arcane casters, or maybe you believe this trait marks you as destined for magical greatness. Wherever the truth lies, you gain an additional use of one of your gnome magic spell-like abilities each day. This does not always have to be the same spell-like ability—one day you might use dancing lights twice, only to use the additional casting for speak with animals the next day.Naturally Gifted |When you, like all other young gnomes, were taught the hodgepodge Gnome language, you became curious about the original meaning of each word and what language it was derived from. Anytime you come across a new language, you are immediately absorbed by both how it works and what words you can co-opt from it for the Gnome language. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Linguistics checks, know one additional bonus language, and treat Linguistics as a class skill.Etymologist |A harrowing experience with insects when you were young instilled in you a deep-seated fear of vermin of all description, especially when they swarm together. You take a –2 penalty on attacks against vermin, and you take a –2 penalty on saving throws against the nauseated condition of a swarm’s distraction ability.Entomophobe
Background: You have sailed the seas your whole life. Sometimes as a merchant. Sometimes as a corsair. Of course, with the number of coasts you have been on, you have caught many a disease, and are now very hardy.
You actually came to Julianople to meet a physician who wanted to study you, but then they never showed up at the meeting spot.
In a new land with no currency, you sniffed out a job with plenty of gold to be made.
Benefit: Choose two out of Climb, Swim, Heal or Appraise. You gain +1 to these, and these are class skills.
In addition, all DCs for saving throws vs Diseases are halved
Sea-dog


Spellcasting: Charisma | Save DC: Cantrip 16, 1st Level 17

Sorcerer Spells
Daily Usage - Cantrips: Unlimited First: 4 / 5 (3 Base + 2 Cha Bonus)
Cantrips: Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: 10 ft
Components: V,S
Duration: Upto 1 Hour

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice.
Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour.
The effects are minor and have severe limitations.
A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material.
It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round.
It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material.
It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters.
Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial.
The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components.
Finally, prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects.
Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.
Prestidigitation | Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range/Area: 10 ft
Components: V,S
Target: One object upto 1lb per level
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: Will Negates (Harmless, Object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless, Object)

This spell repairs damaged objects, restoring 1d4 hit points to the object.
If the object has the broken condition, this condition is removed if the object is restored to at least half its original hit points.
All of the pieces of an object must be present for this spell to function.
Magic items can be repaired by this spell, but you must have a caster level equal to or higher than that of the object.
Magic items that are destroyed (at 0 hit points or less) can be repaired with this spell, but this spell does not restore their magic abilities.
This spell does not affect creatures (including constructs).
This spell has no effect on objects that have been warped or otherwise transmuted, but it can still repair damage done to such items.
Mending | Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: 5 ft
Components: V, S
Target: One or More Written objects
Duration: Concentration, Upto 1 Minute/Level
Saving Throw: Will (Harmless, Object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Object)

This spell imbues a quill with animate energy and rapidly transcribes words from one page to another.
The quill copies a written work at the rate of one normal-sized page per minute.
The Linguistics skill can be used to make a convincing copy, but otherwise the reproduction is written in the hand of the caster.
You must concentrate upon the material being duplicated for the spell's duration and provide new blank pages as required.
The scrivener's chant requires blank paper and a quill or other writing materials, in addition to the material components.

This spell cannot duplicate magical writing (including spells and magical scrolls), though it can duplicate non-magical writing from a magical source.
Scrivener's Chant | Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: Close (25ft +5ft/2 Levels)
Components: V,S
Target: One Nonmagical, unattended object weighing upto 5lbs
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You point your finger at an object and can lift it and move it at will from a distance.
As a move action, you can propel the object as far as 15 feet in any direction, though the spell ends if the distance between you and the object ever exceeds the spell's range.
Mage Hand
First Level: Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: Personal
Target: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 Hr/Level

If a creature within 100 feet that you can see is speaking a language you understand, you can read its lips with perfect accuracy.
Reading lips in this manner gives the exact wording of conversation and does not assist in deciphering any obfuscated ideas such as secret messages or slang.
Reading lips requires moderate concentration, and you take a –4 penalty on other Perception checks while doing so.
Speechreader's Sight | Casting Time: 1 Round
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10ft/level)
Area: One or more Living Creatures within 1 10ft radius burst
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 Minute/Level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

A sleep spell causes a magical slumber to come upon 4 HD of creatures.
Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first.
Among creatures with equal HD, those who are closest to the spell's point of origin are affected first.
HD that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted.
Sleeping creatures are helpless.
Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not.
Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action).
Sleep does not target unconscious creatures, constructs, or undead creatures.
Sleep

Magical Linguistics Spells
Daily Usage - Once per Day Each
Cantrips: Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: Touch
Effect: One personal rune or mark, all of which must fit within 1sq.ft
Components: V,S
Duration: Permanent

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters.
The writing can be visible or invisible.
An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance without harm to the material upon which it is placed.
If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable.

See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark.
A read magic spell reveals the words, if any. The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.

If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, the effect gradually fades in about a month.

Arcane mark must be cast on an object prior to casting instant summons on the same object (see that spell description for details).
Arcane Mark |Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range/Area: Medium (100ft +10ft/level)
Target: One creature/level
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 Minutes/level

You can whisper messages and receive whispered replies.
Those nearby can hear these messages with a DC 25 Perception check.
You point your finger at each creature you want to receive the message.
When you whisper, the whispered message is audible to all targeted creatures within range.
Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal (or a thin sheet of lead), or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks the spell.
The message does not have to travel in a straight line. It can circumvent a barrier if there is an open path between you and the subject, and the path's entire length lies within the spell's range.
The creatures that receive the message can whisper a reply that you hear.
The spell transmits sound, not meaning; it doesn't transcend language barriers. To speak a message, you must mouth the words and whisper.
Message |Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range/Area: Personal
Target: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 10 Minutes/level

You can decipher magical inscriptions on objects—books, scrolls, weapons, and the like—that would otherwise be unintelligible.
This deciphering does not normally invoke the magic contained in the writing, although it may do so in the case of a cursed or trapped scroll.
Furthermore, once the spell is cast and you have read the magical inscription, you are thereafter able to read that particular writing without recourse to the use of read magic.
You can read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute.
The spell allows you to identify a glyph of warding with a DC 13 Spellcraft check, a greater glyph of warding with a DC 16 Spellcraft check, or any symbol spell with a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level).
Read Magic
First Level: Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range/Area: Personal
Target: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 Minutes/Level

You can understand the spoken words of creatures or read otherwise incomprehensible written messages.
The ability to read does not necessarily impart insight into the material, merely its literal meaning.
The spell enables you to understand or read an unknown language, not speak or write it.

Written material can be read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute.
Magical writing cannot be read, though the spell reveals that it is magical.
This spell can be foiled by certain warding magic (such as the secret page and illusory script spells).
It does not decipher codes or reveal messages concealed in otherwise normal text.
Comprehend Languages

Fey Magic - Urban
Daily Usage - Once per Day Each
Cantrips: Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range/Area: Close (25ft +5ft/2 levels)
Target: One Fine Object
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Object)

You can make an unattended Fine flammable object catch on fire.
This works as if you were using flint and steel except that you can use spark in any sort of weather and it takes much less time to actually ignite an object.
Spark |Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range/Area: Touch
Target: Object Touched
Components: V
Duration: 10 Minutes/Level

This spell causes a touched object to glow like a torch, shedding normal light in a 20-foot radius, and increasing the light level for an additional 20 feet by one step, up to normal light (darkness becomes dim light, and dim light becomes normal light).
In an area of normal or bright light, this spell has no effect. The effect is immobile, but it can be cast on a movable object.

You can only have one light spell active at any one time.
If you cast this spell while another casting is still in effect, the previous casting is dispelled.
If you make this spell permanent (through permanency or a similar effect), it does not count against this limit.
Light can be used to counter or dispel any darkness spell of equal or lower spell level.
Light |Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range/Area: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 Minute or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

You imbue the subject with divine diplomacy skills.
The creature gets a +2 competence bonus on a single Diplomacy or Intimidate check.
It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.
Enhanced Diplomacy
First Level: Casting Time: 1 Full Round action
Range/Area: Personal
Target: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 10 Minutes/Level

Upon casting this spell, you are able to gain knowledge from the land itself.
As you walk through the terrain, it whisper information in a language you understand, though the whispering is so rambling it is hard to distinguish useful information.
This whispering grants you a +4 insight bonus on a single Knowledge skill type appropriate to the type of terrain you are in.
If you are within an urban environment, you gain the bonus on Knowledge (local) checks
Whispering Lore - Urban
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 04:47 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 9304
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,213
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
With crossbow bolts flying and the Kobold witch clearly the target of the attacks Tarbin wasted no time and grabbed the Kobold woman by the back of her clothing and with a single powerful yank pulled the woman out of the door frame and out of sight of any would be assassin.

”Most sorry about that Miss but that fellow certainly seems to have taken a mighty disliking to you…” Tarbin apologised politely. ”Now a simple man like me certainly wouldn’t like to presume in knowing the reason why, but if I had to hazard a guess I would say you know something that he doesn’t want you to tell us…” Tarbin commented with a frown. ”Now just what would that be?” Tarbin questioned with a look that suggested it he didn’t get an answer then he might just be happy to push the Kobold back outside.





ooc-Moving Dena out of line of sight and in to cover and using self-sacrifice trait if necessary
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 10:43 PM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 3934
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,855
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dragon Road Herbalists J2 Harvest 103 of 120 11:27am Sunny, Hot

The Dragon Road Herbalists
left-aligned image
There was a moment as Liana shot into the treeline and Damien cast his spell. No one on the balcony saw anything for half of a second. Then there was a dark shadow moving through the trees. The silhouette of a kobold gracefully gliding through the canopy.

WHAM!

Falling out of the shadows with all the grace of a thrown pig, a kobold in a green cloak smashed into a tree quite far from your position. As he did, the hood fell from his head, and fine jewellery spilled out from his cloak and rained onto the gangway beneath. The kobold was a blue creature with several distinctive scars across his face. He looked unconscious for a moment, but then began to rouse as if waking from a slumber. His eyes flashed open with a panic, and he gave the tree a hard boot. The rope on his waist tightened and he vanished again into the trees.

Kara had already acted, running over to the tree, but far, far too late to catch the kobold. Her feet slowed and she grimaced in disappointment and rage. Then the grimace changed as she looked down at the jewellery on the floor. She began to collect it, inspecting it. "It's very distinctive!" she shouted up to you all. "Maybe it's custom made! Does anyone know any jewellers?"

Dena the witch whimpered nervously even as Tarbin pulled her into safety. It's obvious, given that one of her own is dead and Grim's convincingly threatened to poison the Red Sunshine, that she doesn't know who's the bigger threat. Eventually, though, she released a small sigh of relief.

Which quickly became a hostile grunt. "Well, I don't know! The guy's a traitorous scumbag!" Then she thought about her answer, and quickly revised it as well as her tone, which lowered. "He probably didn't want you knowing he's been following you. I don't know where he lives, used to be on Dragon Road until he got too unpopular around here." Her scorpion quickly scuttled across her forehead, looking for a new home amongst her long hair. "Hang on! If you're not working with him, then who the hell are you working for?! And don't tell me you're actually customers or anything! Don't tell me the Post Road Mob hired you!"
Out of CharacterJust to note, given the time of day, you'll soon be needed for your afternoon shift at the Casino. I'll be changing up some of the rules to balance them a bit more. Also, let me know of any suggestions or request, I know CatCanCook asked for a game involving bluff so I'll be adding one of those.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 12:30 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 7342
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,277
Liana Xirkul
right-aligned image
Liana was hopping mad at the unwanted outcome.

Literally: she hopped. "Oooh," she grumbled in inarticulate fury. Then, again she hopped up and down and gritted her teeth.

She succeeded at a difficult maneuver, but still failed. What's worse, the way he rigged the ropes to go flying off, he'd have slammed into a tree and woken up from the sleep spell, even if she had done nothing. So act, or not act, it was as if she was predetermined to be powerless. She hated that feeling.

Then she heard Kara ask, "Does anyone know any jewellers?"

The call to duty awoke her to new possibilities. She looked at Damien, concentrating -- focusing to enhance his knowledge of local matters. Alas: nothing special came of that bond, not this time. It was a fickle thing to try to aid other's in knowledge recall -- as her own knowledge was meager. Aside from matters of faith, she was hardly a scholar.

Yet, aiding others -- success or failure -- was how she as a Zealot rejuvenated her poise and recovered combat maneuvers. So the Golden Lion and Ranged Disarm maneuvers returned to her.

The crossbow shattered? Oh, what bad luck! I meant a ranged disarm not a ranged sunder. Greedily, as a crossbow-woman she wanted a small-sized trick crossbow, especially if it was masterwork, especially if it was above that ... maybe magical?

She took off at a trot, sustaining the focus of her combat stance in case Kara or anyone else came under assault. Maybe that scarred fellow had any friends nearby? Coming near where the crossbow broke, she gathered up its pieces. If jewelry could be a clue, well maybe a weapon could be too. And if she was lucky, there might be something to scavenge. A crossbow that fires grapples may be a unique piece of work.

A peculiar thought came to her. That kobold, he had a dramatic flare, and acrobatic talents, and tricks with mechanisms, and he was a ranged combatant. Maybe ... maybe Kasturr should be recruited into the Cirque de la Fumee? Bravado, drama, comedy. He had it. Or ... maybe he should be questioned first, before recruiting ... to see if he knows who hurt the Family. Or maybe he was involved. If so, he deserves payback... . She puzzles on these ruminations. She does not have enough information. She can hear some distant conversation among her companions and the witch, but it does not register, she is busy with action for the moment.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Nov 2nd, 2022 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 05:07 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 9304
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 12,213
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
Tarbin nodded amiably at the irate little Kobold. ”Oh I’m quite sure he didn’t want anyone knowing that he was there…” the large man agreed. ”But it was quite clear that he was after you my small friend… not a single shot was fired at any of the rest of us…” Tarbin reasoned slowly.

”Me? I’m just a simple man on a personal errand…” Tarbin replied to the kobold’s question which was infact strictly true.

”It does occur to me however that in my humble opinion you need better protection… your friends downstairs were not the most skilled I have ever met…” Tarbin added. ”And with the target on your head that you seem to have I would wager that investing in some security would be well worth it…” the large man continued as he reached up and adjusted his hat. ”No promises but I would be willing to put a word in if you like…” Tarbin then offered.



Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 06:03 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is online now
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 11479
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 3,116
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14


So much for subtlety, Vyeggar mused as he watched the shenanigans play out with the scarred kobold. He had stood there, arms crossed, ever since he'd pushed the little kobold stooge into his boss's unexpecting arms. As he already had a low opinion of kobolds already, it was truly no surprise viewing their antics. Whether they were climbing up in trees and roofs or hiding in a cellar, kobolds were pathetically weak and stupid. The half-orc viewed them with contempt and did not fear them whatsoever.

They did have the ability to surprise him once in a while, however.

"Whoa," he said as the crossbow bolt streaked into the room and hit where the swamp witch had stood moments before. He raised his eyebrow and was about to peek out when the door to the hut was quickly closed. Let him be, a part of him wanted to shout out, but that would raise more questions than he cared to deal with right now. They weren't supposed to know about the guy out there - or, if they knew about him, they weren't supposed to mess with him. Tilly had been explicit, and Vyeggar had quickly grown tired of drawing her ire.

Apparently the others he was bound to were less mindful of their earlier warning. Rather than simply waiting for the fellow behind the tree to either try his luck again or give up and go home, Damien and Liana both rushed out and attempted to subdue the retreating figure in their own special ways. Meanwhile, Grim was doing his best to frighten the hell out of the swamp witch by threatening to lace her entire supply. Vyeggar sighed. There were better ways to win friends and influence people - not that he considered kobolds friends or people. But they were someone's friends, and those someones seemed to have more money and power, and would not take kindly to further hostilities.

"Don't worry about who sent us," he growled to the witch. "As far as you and your chumps need to know, we're just an eccentric group of friendly prospective customers looking to score.
Dice * Intimidate vs swamp witch:
1d20+8 (5)+8 Total = 13
And you'll stick to that story, or I'll do more than just lace your product - I'll tie you and your pathetic crew up and burn this place to the ground with you inside."
The attempt to threaten the witch was pretty half-hearted, even for him, but there had been a lot which had happened and it was getting late in the morning. Almost time for work.

Vyeggar exited the shack and took a breath. The air was still humid and fungal, but it was less cloying than in the shack, so he took it as a win. He filled his lungs and prepared to walk back into town. There was a time when he would have been able to whistle for his compatriots attention, but that time ended when a truncheon took most of his teeth, so he settled for just shouting "HEY! Time for work!" and marching off into the swamp. He offered Grim another lift while deliberately not using the gnome's name and set off back in the direction of the city and their newfound place of employment. There was certainly a lot to ponder, a number of new names he hadn't had before, all thanks to the swamp witch who didn't know how to keep from running her mouth. There was the
Dice * Kn: Local (Post Road Mob):
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
Post Road Mob which seemed a little familiar to the half-orc. Then there were the aforementioned Talafax and Kasturr. Tilly had mentioned Talafax being a good customer, and he seemed to be the head of this neighborhood - or this distribution center, at least. Vyeggar didn't know much at all about Kasturr either, except what he'd gleaned by reputation from his brother and some of the scum he used to run with before his incarceration. A thought occurred to him, just a tickle: this guy is supposed to be a snitch, and my brother knows him - what are the odds that this Kasturr guy played a role in Veklin's arrest? Vyeggar shook his head; a thread for another day. Veklin was safe (alright, safe-ish) in prison. It was Valdik who he was most concerned for. Tilly held his whereabouts over Vyeggar's head like a life preserver over the outstretched arms of a drowning man, and he hated her for it. Hated, to his core, right down to the marrow, yet there was nothing he could do. No one else was talking, and all of his leads had led to her and her damned casino. He didn't have a choice, not unless he decided to forfeit his kin and his life for good. He might kill a few of Tilly's men, but he would never make it close to her without dying. No, if he was ever going to have a shot at her, he'd have to cozy up close - and that meant being nice and playing by the rules, and that included his present company as well.

"Yeah, I
Dice * Kn: Local (Jewelers):
1d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
might know a jeweler or two,"
he muttered once they were on their way and out of earshot of the witch and her cronies. "Though unless they were made for the guy by the same one, and not simply stolen like most everything these kobold scum have, I doubt we'll get much info. No, our best bet is to just ask Tilly what she knows of the guy, and why he'd want to turn our sweet little drug-peddling swamp rat into a pincushion."


 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: Always lurking. I post when my brain decides to work.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 4643
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 904
Grim
right-aligned image

Grim couldn't resist the chuckle escaping his lips as he saw the fleeing figure glide into the tree through the efforts of his new friends, though it was only a momentary laugh as the fleeing Kobold flitted off into the trees once more far too quickly. despite their efforts it seems Kasturr had escaped for now, assuming that the figure was in fact Kasturr and not some other person, assuming the Scarred Kobold was also Kasturr as well. if it was the same person then they had disobeyed Tillys orders again but then they had been attacked first and they had no way of knowing who it was they were retaliating against so perhaps she would only be mildly annoyed with them if she found out. Grim certainly had no intention of telling her about it, just like he didn't plan to tell her about the Red Sunshine he was carrying.

The Gnome was pleasantly surprised when Vyeggar offered him another lift out of the swamp and with a gracious bow, Grim accepted and as a show of appreciation and Faith, he sent the floating pouch of Red Sunshine towards the Half-Orc "Many Thanks Friend Vyeggar, We would definitely be late for our shift if we were to rely on my pace out of the swamp. Would you be so kind as to look after these for us until Talafax comes to retrieve them? they will be safer with you"


Before leaving the Apothecary, Grim turned back to Dena, still huddled on the floor where Tarbin had pulled her aside away from the Bolts which had nearly taken her life, giving her another charming smile "Please remember to convey our message to Talafax, We will be holding court within the Dead Mermaid Casino when he is ready to meet with us. The Proprietor Ms Gansog will ensure that it remains a neutral ground for our business."

Grim then turned and exited the shop before Dena could make a scathing comeback, and as he accepted the lift from Vyeggar Grim noticed Liana looking at the pieces of the fleeing Kobold's crossbow, almost with a look of disappointment on her face. Grim was no expert in weaponry but her own crossbow appeared perfectly suitable for the job but perhaps there was something about this one that she liked more.

"Lady Liana!" he called down from his perch upon the Half-Orcs shoulder "If you gather all the pieces i believe i may be able to repair that weapon for you given some time"


Actions & Movement
 


Stat Block
 


Last edited by Dylan Scott; Nov 5th, 2022 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 10:02 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 10314
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,131
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image


As Kasturr escaped into the trees, Damien stared motionlessly at the spot where he'd fallen, fists clenched as he processed what had just happened. They were so close... only to fail.

"..."

The vishkanya had lot of things he wanted to say in that moment, but none of them were particularly constructive. Instead, he wordlessly watched Kara make her way to the spot, gathering up the fallen jewelry and the remains of Kasturr's crossbow. Liana came forward as well, and as the two women converged upon one another, Damien finally broke his gaze on the treeline to look at them.

"Does anyone know any jewellers?" Damien shared a look with Liana, who seemed to be using their connection to attempt to help him jog his memory. Unfortunately, while Damien had run into a few jewelers in his time, he wasn't in recent contact with one, so finding someone knowledgeable that they could trust to keep tight lipped might require a little digging around. Then again, it wasn't as though Damien was the only one with street knowledge in this motley crew. Noquarter rolled far better than I did, lol.Maybe Vyeggar knew someone they could go to. Taking his own interest in the pieces though, Damien gave them a once-over in Kara's hands, trying to see what he could discern about them as a laymen. Not much, as it turned out, other than what Kara had already deduced; they looked custom-made.

There was little else for them to accomplish here, and as Vyeggar announced they needed to return for work, Damien let out a curse before turning back for the apothecary. Tarbin and Grim had already done well enough making a case for their cooperation that Damien felt there was little left but to clear the air on a more personal note. Kneeling down to look at Dena at eye level, pushed aside his anger at the situation for a moment to muster a smile.

"No hard feelings I hope. This was more for show than anything." He gave the crossbow at his side a pat. "I won't retread what the others have said. All I know is that we have a mutual enemy, and I see no reason why that doesn't leave us room to be friends of a sort. I say that knowing that friends can come in short supply for your people in this city. I know a little bit about that myself..." Looking the woman meaningfully in the eye, he gestured to himself. After a moment more, Damien cleared his throat and straightened up. "Anyway... just something to think about. Goodbye for now."



Once they'd made it out onto the road (or what passed for one out in this swamp anyway), Damien's face slipped a little, his frown hardening. He felt humiliated right now. An hour ago, he'd have been more than pleased at coming away with a name... but to have come so close to capturing its owner only to let him slip away? Amateurish. If only they could have known the little fool would be stupid enough to attack them anyway; he wouldn't have given Tilly's orders about no-contact a second thought. But they HADN'T known. Kasturr had been allowed to continue spying unimpeded, attack them in the middle of their conversation with the witch, and still get away clean. He was going to live to regret being so bold.

Snapped out of his thoughts by Vyeggar, Damien listened to the half-orc discuss the jewelry (sure enough, he knew some potential contacts that could help in that area), as well as mention his theories about the jewelry being stolen. Damien shook his head.

"Stolen... I doubt. Not if they're finely made anyway. That would attract the wrong kind of attention, and if what we were told is true, Kasturr likes to shelter himself along the path of the straight and narrow." He scratched his chin. "Then again... he's probably connected with the town guards. Depending on who he might have potentially stolen them from, it's possible they just turn a blind eye to those kinds of indiscretions."

After walking a bit further, Damien cleared his throat and addressed the others again.

"Tilly will want to know what we discovered. Her powers of deduction are... astoundingly on point, so I don't know if we'll be able to keep that little skirmish under wraps. If anyone is questioned separately, I take full responsibility for what happened. Don't try to cover for me... it's probably for the best we don't give her the impression that we have loyalty to each other that might undermine her authority."
Rolls & Actions
Damien studies the jewelry.

Appraise: 11

He also tries to remember if he knows of any trustworthy jewelers in the city.

Knowledge (Local) 12
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Nov 10th, 2022 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:20 PM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 7342
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,277
Liana Xirkul
right-aligned image
After having gathered what remains of the crossbow thoroughly, Liana brings it back to Grim.

"Oh, thank you kindly for the offer. A scholar, a craftsman, and a gentleman." She gives the gnome a brief hug. The repair is to be take up later after the assessment of the facts.


Later, upon the road, she stays in the middle of the company, keeping her eyes on the move vs. any potential threats that pop out of this land of kobolds.

At one point, she sees Damien appraising the gems - and through her psionic bond strives to give him insight and clarity. (She already tried, and failed, to assist his recollection of local knowledge; there is no point in retrying that.) But yet again, there is no especial surge of insight to his appraiser's eyes.

At some future date ... she hopes to When we can advance to level, aiming at Spheres of Power Armorist class, divine casting tradition.learn some techniques whereby she can be even more reliably of service.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Nov 10th, 2022 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 3934
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,855
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dragon Road Herbalists J2 Harvest 103 of 120 11:27am Sunny, Hot

The Dragon Road HerbalistsThe kobold witch attempted a snarl, though clearly more out of frustration than any sort of malice. There was nothing she could do, and even if she could it would manage very little. Vyeggar intimidated, Grim charmed, Damien persuaded. None got a response... at first. A little snort. "Yeah, now you mention it, you seem like One-Eye's type of flunky." She gave Damien a piercing look, still tied up. "I guess we do have a mutual enemy."

You all feel her glare as you walk away.


Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid's Casino J9 Harvest 103 of 120 2:52pm Sunny

A Scene Outside the CasinoThe journey through the crowded city was quicker than the journey out, now that you were familiar with the right roads in that way that only occurs after making a journey upon return. Defeat hung in the air initially, though you had the Red Sunshine to bribe the guard, and of course there was the new lead of Kasturr. He had escaped, but there was a noose tightening upon him. There's his custom-made jewellery in Damien's hands, swapped between each of you - it looked small enough to be made for a kobold's wrists and fingers, so it was likely made for him, and if Vyeggar's lead is correct, then the noose would snap shut on the scarred kobold's neck.

But there was work to do - a fact that only became more clear as you reached the naval quarter of the city. The familiar surroundings. Getting closer to the Dead Mermaid's Casino.

It was quiet near the casino specifically - the evening shift hadn't started, the ships that came in the morning set sail and the lunchtime breaks of all of the craftspeople about had ended. Only drunks, gamblers and loveless fools with nowhere else to go lingered about the casino in the middle of the afternoon. You reached the front doors, only to hear a pair of voices to the east.

right-aligned image
"... don't know why you can't do this one for me! After everything I've done! Please! Just ask her, and it's the last you'll hear of it!"

The plea was unmistakeable, though the tone was very alien. Sandraminae was normally always in control and collected, but now she sounded desperate. The reply, a dismissive grunt, was all too familiar. "It's not a toy."

"But she isn't safe, I know she isn't! You have to use-" A deadly silence dropped like an axe. "Sorry, boss. You don't have to do anything. But as the person who takes care of your staff, I would appreciate it if you..."

The conversation was killed completely as both Tilly and Sandraminae rounded the corner. Each of them had empty buckets in their hands with some foul-smelling black goop around the sides. Tilly had her regular dirty clothes and apron, looking more like the bartender of the casino than its boss. Even though Sandraminae was wearing her skimpy "uniform" she had even put on a filthy skirt on to protect her legs. Tilly's expression turned into a cruel smile as it landed on you, while Sandraminae's went blank.

"Perfect timing. There's a job for you." She stomped to the door, opening it up. Immediately at your feet were eight buckets of the black... oil... you think... it looked like it should've smelled worse, but it didn't smell good... oddly human, like someone who hadn't bathed in months... "This stuff needs going in the river. Don't spill it on yourselves, it won't clean out. Then get your uniforms on and get to work."

"I'll help them," Sandraminae suddenly, firmly, said.

Tilly took a moment to look back to her. Eyes narrowed. Then there was a shrug. "Whatever." She turned her suspicious gaze across all of you. "I'm meeting Talafax in a couple of days. What will I be apologising for?"
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 12:47 PM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 7342
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 7,277
Liana Xirkul
right-aligned image
Liana was not inattentive. She heard Sandraminae state that there was an implied threat or danger, from Tilly directed toward the Staff. This was no small matter to Liana. For the halfling archer, protecting and avenging the Family of entertainment and personal-service workers was no idle hobby but a matter of religious devotion. But she kept the thought compartmentalized, safe in a mental vault where she accumulated evidence. It was not useful at this instant, but it might be actionable some day in the future.

Liana put on her most subtle diplomacy -- not overt flattery, because Tilly was no fool. Rather she was a malicious brute who enjoys fear and intimidating into obedience. So she spoke with some anxiety.

"Will you need to apologize to Talafax? Shouldn't Kasturr be apologizing to Talafax -- and to you if it's displeased you?"

She plainly feared and respected the orc boss.

"We went to Dena, the kobold swamp witch who makes Red Sunshine that Talafax sends. We were seeking information as to the scarred kobold we believe was a mastermind behind the theft of the chest."

"The witch made the mistake of assuming we were her enemies -- and tried to ambush us. We subdued her and her people, not killing a single one. But it was a scarred kobold who Vyegar recognized as Kasturr who intervened. Kasturr shot and killed one of Dena's staff, as well as tried to murder her. "

Honest, direct service -- she aimed to give the boss what she wanted. Humbly: "So, ma'am -- we've gotten a step closer to revealing a person with think is behind the theft of your chest."

She got the basic facts out there, aiming with tone and style at convincing her that her 'servants' were on target and making progress. She knew full well that the others will follow in with their own variants of the story, and so she faded into the background having said her piece, to quietly encourage their follow-on success.

Liana only gave a brief glance to the bucket of slop. She was no scholar of most topics -- but she knew religions well. She tried to recollect whether there was any cult or religion or faith-based ritual explanation for such a thing.

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Nov 12th, 2022 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 11:36 PM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is online now
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 11479
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 3,116
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14


Vyeggar eyed the buckets of what could only be human waste with suspicion. Eight prisoners. Was one of them his brother? The thought was maddening, and he knew he would never make it through their debrief without turning violent.

"No sense in us all getting filthy, especially those of us who earn their keep being all sexy-like," the half-orc said as he reached for the first bucket. He'd already embraced his role as the monster. And monsters smelled, right? Vyeggar certainly thought they should. He should have felt bad about leaving them alone, but... His thoughts turned back to Damien's words from the walk back, about loyalty and how it made them vulnerable. "Don't try to cover for me... it's probably for the best we don't give her the impression that we have loyalty to each other that might undermine her authority." There was no need to tell the half-orc twice.

"Besides, this is perfect. I'll go deal with this filth, and while I'm doing that... Grim, you can tell Tilly about the one sample of Talafax's product we borrowed. Liana, you can fill her in about shooting at the kobold we were explicitly told to ignore. And Kara, you had a great story about shooting dead one of that witch's kobold guards." He stretched his arms and walked forward to grab two bucket handles in each hand.

"Sandy, don't worry about this mess. You're too pretty for this nastiness." He couldn't quite meet Sandramine's eyes. There was something shameful about seeing the lovely lady having to debase herself.

He caught Tilly's eye as he was making his way to the exit. There was a smile on his face that was as warm as sunshine in the dead of winter. He thought about grabbing her face and shoving it deep down into the biggest bucket of filth until she drowned. Someday, when you least expect it...

"Well I'll see you later, boss. Got some scrubbing to do down by the river. Watch out now, wouldn't want you to be covered by any of this nasty business." His hands clenched tight on the rope handles, and he imagined them wrapped around her throat instead. Yet his grin, which lacked several teeth that had once been there before his dealings with the orc woman, never wavered.

"Hey Tarbin, you mind getting the door for me, pal?"


 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: Always lurking. I post when my brain decides to work.

Last edited by Noquarter19; Nov 16th, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 03:42 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 3934
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,855
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid's Casino J9 Harvest 103 of 120 2:52pm Sunny

A Scene Outside the Casino
left-aligned image
Tilly's eyes immediately narrowed upon hearing Liana's words. Oddly enough though, she didn't seem to be looking at the halfling - just the vague direction. Her eyes only flicked towards Vyeggar briefly, his blatant calling out of his companions barely registering. "Whatever. I'll talk to Talafax... the hell was Kasturr doing there..." she mumbled to herself. A few more mumbles, the only word coming out being Kasturr's name. Over and over again.

Then she smiled. It was the most evil smile that any of you had ever seen. It turned towards Sandraminae.

"I know what that old ****'s doing," she said. Then she broke into a wicked laugh, not a single lilting laughter but a series of single barks of "Ha!" Her eyes widened, and her fists clenched, ready to kill. "I'm talking to the Maztablaztas right now!"

Sandraminae did not share this exurberance. If anything, she looked frightened. "Look, Boss, let's think about this! It's risky! If you kill him, everyone will..."

"If?! He'll be dead tonight!" Tilly almost cheered. Then she looked across all of you with a sudden drop of her attitude. "You lot have already done me wonders! You," she said with no joy, pointing to Vyeggar. "- get those buckets emptied, then talk to Rozitto! You!" Her finger snapped to Grim. "I get half of whatever you make! Talafax never finds out! You!" Her finger snapped to Kara, who looked at it disdainfully. "Not so trigger happy! And all of you!" Her finger drifted around wildly. "New instructions! If you see Kasturr again, kill, him, on, sight! Don't go looking for him! Don't go talking to him! And don't, whatever you do, let him open his nasty little mouth! Just kill him the moment you see him!"

Before any of you can get in another word, she is running through the casino, her footstomps hard enough to cause nearby tankards to wriggle on their perches. Sandraminae had her mouth open, her fingers open. Both shut tightly, and she looked hurt for a moment. Then she looked to all of you.

"All of us are taking buckets," she insisted. "It gives you time to tell me what exactly happened out there." Despite her words, it was quite apparent even to the less socially apt of you all that there was something she wanted to say to you. The seriousness faded as she pointed outwarned you "If any of you call me Sandy again, I will make you serve in the bedrooms, and we have customers with tastes that my staff don't cater to."

There was a little grumble under Kara's breath. "Kill someone on sight, but also be less trigger-happy?"
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:03 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is online now
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 26th, 2023
RPXP: 11479
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 3,116
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14


That crazy bitch, Vyeggar thought as he watched Tilly rush off. Her sudden manic outburst and dramatic 'kill on sight' order for the kobold Kasturr was more than a little suspect. Vyeggar put down two of the buckets for his companions to carry. Orders were orders, after all.

"Whatever you say, Sandy-ramine," he muttered. His heart was only half in it to tease the woman. "Clearly I can't dissuade you from going to the river and scraping out sh*t buckets with us. Hell of a choice for a first date," he grumbled, holding the door open with his back while holding a bucket in each hand. He watched his companions gather up their own containers with grunts and grimaces and shook his head. He'd let them try for a bit, but imagined he'd end up having to help carry one or more of their buckets when everything was said and done.

Vyeggar looked at the barely-clad woman who was still glaring at him. "Well, even I'm not dense enough to miss the signal you want to talk. Well, you outrank me hon, so it's your show. We talking here? On the way? Staying quiet until we reach the river?" He shrugged. "I mean, you already heard all the fun bits. I tell you what - I'm an open book, whatever you want. I don't care enough about any of you or any of this to keep secrets. But you, you seem to be worried about someone. I'm much more interested in who you were talking to Cyclops about a few minutes ago. Because if she's trying to hurt someone else..."

The temperature seemed to drop a few degrees as a look of pure hatred crossed the half-orc's face as he thought of Tilly hurting someone else. He shouldn't have cared, but he did. Wherever Valdik was, and whatever - or whoever - he had run afoul of, Vyeggar held Tilly responsible. But then he let out a breath.

"On second thought, never mind. It was a serious offer to help, but I get the feeling you regard me about as highly as you do what's in this bucket." His tone had gone flat with indifference all of a sudden. There's no point in caring or going above and beyond. These people are so damaged, and they're so used to getting shat on by the absolute dregs this city has to offer, I don't think they would trust anything I did or said. Gods know I probably wouldn't.

 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: Always lurking. I post when my brain decides to work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB