Old Jan 11th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Airroneous Airroneous
My turn to say hi!

So, ya. Hi.

I have played RPGs for some 15+ years. A couple small games with 3.5, less using 4th, and a few with 5th edition. The majority of my games have been with Pathfinder 1e. I have played a few sessions with 2e, but then COVID happened.

I have been out of the loop and, missing RPGs, wanted to play. So I started a home brew campaign (Pathfinder 1e) and that has been going well! The problem is... I'm the GM... or DM. Whatever. I'm not a player!

My schedule is a little bonkers with 2 daughters so it can be hard to pin down time for a game. Then I remembered there was play by post. A quick google search led me here and hopefully the rest is history... legend.

Not 100% sure how all this works. Hopefully someone can give me some good advice. I may have a friend or two interested in joining me for a game. We use to do Forum RPs together (No rule system, just writing)
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83552
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

HI! right back to you! Glad you joined us, and brought your imagination and potentially, some friends. COming here due to IRL schedules, and not being able to exercise the player side of your imagination are two of the most common reasons.

What questions can we answer for you? Look around, a lot of answers are stickied around at the top of threads, but this is a good place to ask!

happy gaming!
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 06:32 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6334
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to RPG Crossing.

I highly recommend checking out the New Player Solo Game in the main forum's Solo Games/New Gamers folder. There are 13th Age, Call of Cthulhu, DnD (3.5, 4, 5), FATE, Pathfinder (1), and Travelers many game systems to pick from and once signed up, you will be paired with a patient and helpful GM that can help show you the ropes of how to do things at this site. They can also be an excellent person to ask any questions to while you are getting up to speed on things.

All these things can be done with the Hero System. Champions, Dark Champions, Star Hero, and Monster Hunter International (that is based on the novels of the same name).So, ever wanted to be a superhero fighting crime to make the world a safer place? Or don a mask and make the criminals fear your brand of justice? Or go where no man has gone before and explore the outer reaches of the known universe and beyond? Or have you ever wanted to join the Monster Hunter International (MHI) team to track down things that go bump in the night while the Monster Control Bureau (MCB) does everything they can to keep those things a secret and dreading the day you have to deal with the Special Task Force Unicorn (STFU) teams from the MCB?

Anyway, enjoy your time here and let us know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 06:37 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32893
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing, Airroneous! Bonkers schedule: check! Like RPGs: check! Like writing stories collaboratively: check! Seems like you've got everything lined up right for PBP. Have fun exploring, and let us know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20413
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! What's your experience with PF 2e been like so far?

Last edited by HotsuSama; Jan 11th, 2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 08:37 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5557
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome! May you have many grand adventures and meet new friends along the way.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 10:31 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11335
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Airroneous,

Have you ever found the right place! I've been here for two years and it is the best PbP site I've ever been on and I've been on a few.

Truth in lending, I'm a D&D player to my core. Lately it's been 5e, which I like a lot but my favorite version is AD&D. At one time or another I've played a whole host of RPGs. We have a little bit of everything here and lot of some games, D&D 5e and PF to be specific. Do you prefer games that tell stories or hack and slash? What is your favorite character class and race if you have one? Brie or feta?

This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot. I sent a link to one such site below that has been going on continuously for over 40 years and has been only for close to twenty. I've been lucky to be a part of it for three years...so yes, there are some games that have longevity here. You should check out the Hall of Fame games over the years for others.

To start, as Kenjitsu said, you may want to check out a solo game. Even if you have PbP experience each site is a bit different.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.

Last edited by Ildrahil; Jan 11th, 2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 11:08 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Airroneous Airroneous
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Welcome to the site! What's your experience with PF 2e been like so far?
I thought the character creation process was fun. When I first looked at it, I felt like I had lots of options, but when I looked closer if found the ability's clustered together for specific builds. The game was new at the time. I expect any new game system would have a similar problem. If I looked at it again I'm sure there would be more options.

I really liked some of the changes for combat. Only fighter type classes had attacks of opportunities. Smart move! All the status effects were taxing to keep up with. Getting a critical by exceeding the DC/AC by a set amount was a fun idea but became taxing with all the extra math. Thought on a post by play I don't think this would be bad.

The game I played with wasn't a long game. Maybe we got to level 4 or 5. I don't think I really have a strong opinion about the system one way or another. I would need to play more of it to really give a proper feedback.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 12:13 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55266
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hey, Airroneous. Fun name!
Welcome to the site! I don't have the big tiger to welcome you that Tigra does (impressive, Tigra!), and others have already given you great wisdom about the New Player Solo Game. Other than that, I think you are more than set with your background and eagerness to play. I'm sure you'll find a game soon to your liking, and hope that you can find time when you aren't having grand adventures with your daughters and friends in real life. Hope to see you around the boards!
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 04:37 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33644
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodmorning Airroneous,

Welcome over here! 15+ RP experience is really impressive, and it makes sense COVID messed up a lot. We continued our game night through Teams and online trials but it definitely wasn't the same. I remember that I was so glad nothing changed at the Crossing, it felt like a little sanctuary to be able to roleplay and keep the real world out...

Quote:
Not 100% sure how all this works
No one knows, not even Birched

Cool that your two friends are joining! Have they signed up yet? If you want to create a game forum to play with them online, make sure to add the usernames of your friends in the game request itself, the improvement will be quicker. (you might even want to take a Community Supporter into consideration, it provides some perks you could be interested in)

Anyway, happy gaming

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Airroneous Airroneous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post

... Do you prefer games that tell stories or hack and slash? What is your favorite character class and race if you have one? Brie or feta?...
When I started playing, I was all about the hack and slash and I still love theory crafting characters for combat. The more I have played my preference has shifted towards story / roleplaying. A random encounter here and there is fine but if combat starts to feel like just an xp check or time sink, I start to get board.

I love looking at the less common races. Maybe I like rooting for the small guy. Having said that, half the time I end up playing human. In DnD & Pathfinder it is hard to say no to that extra feat.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite class. Defiantly a handful that I like. Spontaneous casting always wins over prepared for me.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 08:53 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Airroneous Airroneous
A quick question.

I found a game in pathfinder taking applications. I looked through the site and found a write up about requesting games but I'm not sure if that is the same thing as applying.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the proper way to apply for a game? Do I PM the game master or do I do a reply in the thread?
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:15 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33644
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
You make a post in the Game Recruitment thread, not a quote -> a reply. I often start with a brief copy of what the DM wants to see and work from there, keep editing the post until I think it's finished. If you are a Community Supporter you can also do this in your private thread (a CS-perk) but editing your post will do fine as well :-)

Good luck applying, what character are you making? (race- and class wise)

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 08:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 154
Exeter Exeter
Hi Airroneous, looks like I found the forum
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:37 PM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15365
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Welcome, Airroneous (and Exeter) to the Crossing!

Aside from what @choco has said about replying to the actual Game Advertisement you want to join, I find making use of the Quote button at the lower right of a post is very helpful in making text better formatted/easier to read.

Let me ask though, are you keen on continuing play as a GM/DM, or as a player? Which do you prefer and why?