Old Jan 18th, 2023, 04:40 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 186
Aldon Aldon
Nice to Be Here

Hey just introducing myself!

Based in Perth, Australia. Keen to get into role playing I recently started playing D&D on a discord server and just found this place from a google search.

I'm having a look around at the moment. Really keen to play some D&D 5e and the Pokemon play to post games look super intriguing too I'd love to get involved in one of those.

Still not 100% sure how to get involved in things though. A lot of games appear established and I guess it would be a faux pas to post there so I am guessing I just apply for stuff being advertised?
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33747
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Welcome to the crossing!!!

We have plenty of DnD 5th games. About Pokemon games, to be honest it's rarer but they do exist. If you ask around, maybe you can help gather people with the same interest of hunting pokemons.

Actual some people were asking here about Pokemon games.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=224893

My advice, register here for a single player game to learn how we play here.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=155613

After that here's where you can apply for multiple players game.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=280

I'm working on a new campaign setting, do you mind giving me feedback? Thanks.

Last edited by MoonZar; Jan 18th, 2023 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Aldon Aldon
Thank you so much that is really helpful
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 07:38 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83502
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

Another gamer from the land down under! May you be as awesome as the others who play!
Moon gave some good advice, and yes... you start with applying for open games, get selected, and then get to play. Games opening all the time, and the New Player Solo Game is guaranteed to give you a chance to learn the ropes. there's also some always recruiting/open games, but I don't know what is offered for 5th edition or Pokemon there.

Happy gaming!
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 09:16 AM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11235
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Aldon,

Or should I say howdy mate? Coming to us all the way from Australia...outstanding! You should definitely look around because there are a lot of different RPG systems here and one might strike your fancy. That said, I'm a D&D player to my core. Lately it's been 5e, which I like a lot but my favorite version is AD&D. At one time or another I've tried a whole host of RPGs. We have a little bit of everything here and lot of some games, D&D 5e and PF to be specific. Do you prefer games that tell stories or hack and slash? What is your favorite character class and race if you have one? Brie or feta?

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot. I sent a link to one such site below that has been going on continuously for over 40 years and has been only for close to twenty. I've been lucky to be a part of it for three years...so yes, there are some games that have longevity here. You should check out the Hall of Fame games over the years for others.

To start, you may want to check out a solo game. Even if you have PbP experience each site is a bit different.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Aldon Aldon
Hi Ildrahil

I prefer games that tell stories FOR SURE! the fights are fun too but story first for me.

I have only played a halfling ranger so far, so I'll say those are my faves (even though they aren't) but I gotta be loyal to my only lil' dude. He's part of a 5e campaign since October and my first proper experience with the game.

Brie!

Yeah, I just realised before you gotta submit a character and then pray to get picked. Yikes, no pressure.

Thanks for the welcome and hopefully will see you around!
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 10:33 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6284
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to RPG Crossing Aldon.

Getting into a game, especially if a lot of players are applying, can be a bit frustrating. Just don't take not getting accepted into the game as being personally rejected. It might take a few applications. And with that I will give a friendly piece of advice that will help get your application notice: go ahead and let the story teller inside you shine. Sometimes it comes down to the most interesting characters.

As for starting out, definitely sign up for the New Player Solo Game. You will learn a lot and meet a great volunteer who can not only guide you through the process but also answer any questions you might have along the way.

Speaking of questions, feel free to ask any questions here as well. It will be a race to see who can answer it first.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5361
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome Aldon!

May you have many grand adventures and meet new friends along the way.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54870
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hey, Aldon! Welcome to you and your plucky halfling ranger!

You’re asking all the right questions and doing all the right things. In addition to the NPSGs, there are a few games which accept all … Chocodevla, who will probably be stopping by soon, runs a few really good ones so you might want to check those out. Otherwise, don’t fret, you’ll get in a game soon either through a newly starting game or a game that exists and needs to recruit. If you really see a game you like, feel free to send a Dorect Message to the DM so they can keep you in mind when there is a new opening. I’ve found that DMs often welcome the enthusiasm of new players, particularly if they have been posting consistently since their arrival.

At any rate, you’ll find your niche! Look forward to seeing you around the boards!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:26 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33594
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodmorning Aldon,

First of all, welcome over here and second, that's really good question; how to get involved. There are three ways, two slightly more successful than the third one. Most common way, to search in the 'Games looking for players'-forum and check all the games that are currently recruiting. Check the deadline and reply to that thread to show your interest and start working on a cool character/application. Second, check the 'always recruiting games', you can show what character, race, and class, you want to play, and as soon as there is a vacant spot you will be able to play what you have created. The downside, this can take a while to get an invite. The third way, post in the 'Players looking for a game' forum (start a new thread) and show your character, explain what system you want to play, and wait for DM's going through this forum to find players.

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 09:44 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32893
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing Aldon! I wish you good stories and good gaming! Have fun poking around the community, and let us know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20413
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! There are several of us Aussies here. Several! Maybe even dozens!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 01:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2131
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Welcome to the destroyer of my F5 key.

I'm not too far from you allegedly... a place called Whistralia, so many aussies

I've found DnD 5e very popular and it was my first choice but what I also found is that I can buy other systems online cheaply or get a lot of support from existing players and then play other games. I'm playing more game now than I thought possible and its brilliant. One of the great things about PbP I only need to be good with the rules when I need to post and this is a global site so I always have +24hrs to figure it out. No other players at the table tutting and rolling their eyes (obviously that never happened to me in real life!)

Ski Season is coming up and whilst I have every intention to still be here stuff happens. NPC me as soon as you need to.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 03:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6737
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, Aldon! I see that you've already applied to a game and the New Player Solo Game! I hope you enjoy RPing on the site!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 11:00 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 923
Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun
Welcome to RPGX!