Old Jan 18th, 2023, 10:20 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 280
Dog on Wheels Dog on Wheels Dog on Wheels
Hi everybody!

Hey folks,

Just stumbled across this site recently. I'm in my 40s and was an avid TTRPG player from the late 80s well into around 2010, with most of the latter half of that span being spent DMing/GMing solo games for the one friend I had who also liked RPGs, mostly D&D (2nd and 3rd edition) and a modified version of Marvel's old FASERIP system. Since then I have bought the occasional rulebook or campaign setting and had a few attempts to get a game going through other sites, but I have health problems that make it pretty much impossible for me to do a synchronous online game and particularly a voice-based synchronous game.

Systems I'm interested in: Open to many but just to name some to start, The One Ring, D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, the Alien RPG, 13th Age, Mutants and Masterminds, Marvel Superheroic Roleplaying (Cortex System), Star Wars

Play style: I prefer games that emphasize character development and interactions over combat, but also love anything horror-adjacent. I tend to like games that take themselves pretty seriously even though I've got a goofy sense of humor OOC.

Currently just looking to play to start out but if things calm down between work and some of my health issues, may end up looking to GM at some point.
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 11:01 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83552
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

glad you joined us... sounds like you bring a lot to the table in experience and imagination. Good for us, we love new folks with those two things. Good thing about RPGX... taking time is fine with us, so come, play, enjoy, and when you are ready, GM. We'll be here.

Happy gaming!
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 11:48 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks! Definitely excited to explore the site and get to know the community.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 02:38 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55266
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hello, Dog on Wheels! Welcome to the site!
Serious horror with a bit of humor ... there are plenty of games with a bit of that on this site, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed into them.
Glad you are giving play by post a try; it is a great genre for being able to work it in around your own schedule and energy ... but I find it's also just a fun genre to build up story elements and enjoy some of the great characters and scenes your fellow players and GM create around you. Sounds like that's what brings you to gaming as well. Consider signing up for a New Player Solo Game to give the format a spin, and then you'll know for sure what else you might want to try. Hope to see you around!

Last edited by bananabadger; Jan 19th, 2023 at 02:42 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 02:43 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33797
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Welcome! With that long list of interests, you should be able to find some games.

I'm working on a new campaign setting, do you mind giving me feedback? Thanks.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:20 AM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5860
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Some great games in that list, welcome!

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:22 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33644
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Wow, that username is so cool! And I have to confess, impressed with all the games you are interested in, you are really a versatile player! We can use players ... and/or DM's like that so a double welcome to you :-)

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6334
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to RPG Crossing Dog on Wheels.

I think you are going to fit right in. Most of us have real lives that prohibit large amounts of time to play a game, so being able to check in your limited free time and make a post or two when you can seems to work well for us. And because you have more time to write a post, you have time to be creative and expand your writing skills.

I saw that you were interested in the Marvel Superheroic Roleplaying system. Have you ever considered the Hero System? The Champions Universe is their version of a superhero world.

Also, I highly recommend trying the New Player Solo Game (there is a link to it in my signature). Not only do you get a chance to get your feet wet, but the volunteer running it will patiently walk you through all the logistics of how things work here, making your transition to this platform much easier.

Also, if you have any questions, this is a great place to ask them since it will turn into a race to see who can answer them first. Don't believe me, just try.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 09:43 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32893
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing, Dog on Wheels! I hope you find some good groups and tell some great stories while you are here. That's a lot of systems to choose from, so I bet you'll have no trouble finding like-minded adventurers. Have fun and let us know if you have any questions!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11335
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Dog on Wheels,

That is a unique username. Where does it come from? Does it have any meaning? Are they training wheels?

This site you just stumbled across is easily the best PbP site I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. I'm not a mod or anything, simply someone who like to come and greet new players like I was once greeted a few years ago, so what I say about how great this site is comes from the heart rather than as an advertisement...and I'm not saying the mods here only spew advertisements!

Truth in lending, I'm a D&D player to my core. Lately it's been 5e, which I like a lot but my favorite version is AD&D. At one time or another I've played a whole host of RPGs. We have a little bit of everything here and lot of some games, D&D 5e and PF to be specific. What is your favorite character class? How about your favorite race if you have one? Brie of feta?

This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot. I sent a link to one such site below that has been going on continuously for over 40 years and has been only for close to twenty. I've been lucky to be a part of it for three years...so yes, there are some games that have longevity here. You should check out the Hall of Fame games over the years for others.

To start, you may want to check out a solo game. Even if you have PbP experience each site is a bit different.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20413
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Nice, a Gumshoe game! Welcome to the site, and I hope you settle in well.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 07:27 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5557
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome Dog on Wheels!

May you have many grand adventures and meet new friends along the way.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Hello, Dog on Wheels! Welcome to the site!
Serious horror with a bit of humor ... there are plenty of games with a bit of that on this site, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed into them.
Glad you are giving play by post a try; it is a great genre for being able to work it in around your own schedule and energy ... but I find it's also just a fun genre to build up story elements and enjoy some of the great characters and scenes your fellow players and GM create around you. Sounds like that's what brings you to gaming as well. Consider signing up for a New Player Solo Game to give the format a spin, and then you'll know for sure what else you might want to try. Hope to see you around!
Thanks for the welcome, bananabadger! Yeah, PBP does seem really suited to emphasize the kind of elements I like most in any TTRPG experience, so I'm excited!
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:22 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
Welcome! With that long list of interests, you should be able to find some games.
Thanks for the welcome, Moonzar! Yeah, I've definitely developed a long backlog of games I want to play after being away from TTRPGs for a good decade or so (the money I've spent on rulebooks I've never actually used...to this point, at least).
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:23 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
Some great games in that list, welcome!
Thank you, Lemming! Glad to be here!