Notices

Old Jan 20th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
David VanDyke David VanDyke David VanDyke
Greetings from an old new member, and questions

New member here, old RPGer (started with D&D using the original white box, no red star, plus Greyhawk) in 1977. I used to run PBP on Online-Roleplaying before it disappeared, 15+ years ago. Just getting back into it.

This is newbie post 1!

Although, I'm pretty sure I'll become a Community Supporter, so the 4 posts may be irrelevant.

Anyway, hello!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 03:26 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32893
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing, David VanDyke, and thank you for supporting the site right off the bat! Are you excited about any gaming systems in particular? Have fun exploring the community, and let us know if you have any questions!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6334
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Howdy David, welcome to RPG Crossing.

It sounds like you are at least familiar with what to expect here as far as pace, but I would highly recommend doing the New Player Solo Game (see a link to it in my signature below). It will help with the learning curve on how to do things at this site.

If you are interested in Fantasy style games, you are in luck, both DnD and Pathfinder are the big dogs here. If you are interested in expanding into sci-fi, we also have some Shadowrun and Starfinder games. If you want something else, chances are that someone else here may want it too and either has a game up or is waiting for someone to host that game.

As far as the four posts, well, that will not take long at all to get. Feel free to practice some dice rolling over at the dice rolling and tag testing thread. Also, if you have any questions, this is a great place to ask them (and those post count too).

On a side note, have you ever considered the Hero System?

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here and let us know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 04:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I am set on getting an Amber game running again. I've submitted the request. I have some players already lined up from offsite sources. In fact, I started trying to set up a game on another site not to be named, but I couldn't get a good handle on its functionality, so I started looking for a different one. This site seems to use the same forms as the old Online-Roleplaying forum where I ran Amber for years under the screen name Wired*Nun, and in this case, for an old dog like I am, familiarity and a lesser learning curve is a good thing.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 06:17 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83552
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

thanks for being CS! And thanks for being a grognard too. Gotta stick together, us old timers!

Happy gaming!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55266
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I like that David VanDyke and Wired*Nun are the same person.
I don’t understand the connection, but I love imagining the possibilities.
Welcome to the site!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Welcome!

thanks for being CS! And thanks for being a grognard too. Gotta stick together, us old timers!

Happy gaming!
You betcha. We were the first generation of roleplayers, taught by the first generation of modern wargamers (I played wargames before RPGs) that started with companies like Avalon Hill and SPI. I'm glad the "new kids" who roleplay now, whether tabletop or PBP, are still coming in in droves and are still having great fun nearly 50 years after D&D was first published.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
I like that David VanDyke and Wired*Nun are the same person.
I don’t understand the connection, but I love imagining the possibilities.
Welcome to the site!
Thanks!

Short explanation is, there's an old Mike Meyers sketch from SNL, "Sprockets," which was a spoof of Euro club culture, with the strange German-ish host Dieter. If you've never seen it, google the videos now. There were several of the "Sprockets" or "Dieter" sketches. Hysterical.

In one of them, he refers to a nonexistent (I believe) dance hit called "Weird Nun". It stuck in my mind, so I started using it as a screen name, but ended up going with "wired" rather than "weird" as it related to one of the early definitions of "wired" (from which Wired magazine gets its name) as referring to tech and the new thing called the Internet (yes, it was capitalized back then).

And yes, nobody else seemed to have anything remotely like it so I used it for a long time.

Oh, and David VanDyke is not my real name either. It's pen name/screen name. So, there's that.

Last edited by David VanDyke; Jan 20th, 2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Flightless buzzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20413
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 08:37 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5557
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

ĎAllo and Welcome David VanDyke!

Grab a drink, and some snacks, and have fun exploring the site. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and someone will be more than happy to answer them.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 09:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigra View Post

ĎAllo and Welcome David VanDyke!

Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55266
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I’m glad I asked! The only thing left is to see you dance the weird nun!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 11:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17882
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Welcome!

So, this is the third introduction mentioning how excited they are about Amber - and yet these mentions constitute 100% of my knowledge of the game. What is your favorite thing about it?
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 12:21 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
THAN0S THAN0S THAN0S THAN0S
It is based off of Roger Zelazny's 9 Princes in Amber. I purchased the first 5 books based off of the first three paragraphs of the first book, just to give you an idea of how good the source material might be. The fantasy concepts of the universe was absolutely unique in comparison to anything else I have read or experienced and encompasses almost any possible world you can imagine.

The members of the royal family of Amber can travel to anything they can imagine, even to the point that one location was affected by something as trivial as the flipping of a coin via their mastery of the Pattern, the ultimate power of Order in the metaverse. You get to play a character that can do this as well. Out in the infinity of Shadow there are mysteries, powers, challenges, dragons, and others who can traverse shadow and use other strange and potent powers of their own.

In Amber there was a great king who had many children, at least 13 males and 10 females. There was a lot of fighting amongst certain of the children about who would be king next....and you are the grandchildren of the great king.

There is a LOT of other things out there in shadow, but if you have not read the books I do not want to ruin them for you by saying more.

The game system is about comparing secret, but discernible stats (like Dex, Strength, etc) and how aggressive you and your opponent choose to be. There are a few things that bring in twists, like enchanted weapons, special powers, armor, relative strength, if its a long fight or somebody just ran a marathon then endurance. Sometimes cunning wins the day by using the environment, special powers, magic, or demon allies. Most games do not involve direct deadly PVP, but some campaigns are 'Throne Wars' where the object of the game is to be the last person standing and take the throne of Amber.

Last edited by THAN0S; Jan 21st, 2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 04:33 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33644
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodmorning David VanDyke,

Welcome over here, and your username says a lot About David VanDyke --> David VanDyke is a Hugo Award and Dragon Award finalist and bestselling author of the Plague Wars, Stellar Conquest, and Galactic Liberation sci-fi adventure series, which have sold more than 400,000 copies to date.

He is co-author of BV Larson's million-selling Star Force Series, Books 10, 11 and 12.
about your interests, really cool! Did you read (all?) his books and why did it inspire you to use/create this username if I may be so forward????

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~