Other Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute - Page 17 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 170
OsirisRising OsirisRising
I'm really interested. Is the system Fate Core or is it Dark Matter?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I have in mind an ex-adrenaline-addict, forty-something guy. He did Formula 1, speedboating, air racing, and lately finding work as an ER helicopter pilot. He is not the adrenaline junky he was earlier, but he hasn't lost his edge, and can drive / fly mostly anything, and also repair a lot of them.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:08 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
We are hiring!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisRising View Post
I have in mind an ex-adrenaline-addict, forty-something guy. He did Formula 1, speedboating, air racing, and lately finding work as an ER helicopter pilot. He is not the adrenaline junky he was earlier, but he hasn't lost his edge, and can drive / fly mostly anything, and also repair a lot of them.

That would be a great fix actually!! Go for it

We r using Alternity.... But just follow the link in the advert to make your r character, it will walk you thru it.

- savy
Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
It's easy to pickup, I'm super lazy with a rotten brain and i got the hang of it.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2558
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
Couple of thoughts/questions.

I don't know alternity and this particular campaign. I've played different systems so that's not an issue. And it looks rules light, which tends to encourage RP heavy which I like and also matches what works in PBP, really. So that's cool.

Lately, I'm used to doing D&D live, and those games have been best served by contemplation of my role in combat, particularly as it meshes with other PCs. Is that very important or is it more about RP/concept character mesh-ability?

I'm contemplating a new-agey investigator of some sort, utilizing either Taoist magic, druidic magic, or postcognition/sensitive type stuff. Very vague brainwave at this point. Not sure if she/he'd have much in the way of combat ability? Is that bad?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Nice to meet you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickostopheles View Post
Couple of thoughts/questions. ...I don't know alternity and this particular campaign. I've played different systems so that's not an issue. ...
Nice. Alternity was Wizards/TSRs default Modern/SyFy system but quickly fell to the side of d20 and so on. Interestingly enough, if you know 5e, you'll 'get' Alternity quickly as its a skills-based, 'roll higher' system. You just don't wait to be cool in Alternity as characters are very competent, right out of the box.

Role Playing (and ACTUALLY playing with the team) with the other characters is the key to success with an Alternity game. Without good roleplay (team work) it's going to be very hard to rise to the challenges you'll be faced with.

Quote:
Lately, I'm used to doing D&D live, and those games have been best served by contemplation of my role in combat, particularly as it meshes with other PCs. Is that very important or is it more about RP/concept character mesh-ability?
Yes, so much so that its a good idea to check out the current Cast Member and see what they can do and the niche they fill. Try to jump in the gaps you see but don't worry about overlap - that is helpful too as you'll need to join forces at times even on tasks - esp. when things get complicated!

The Cast List (Human Resources ) is here.

Right now we have...

Reuben MacDougall
Archetype: (Survivor) The night has teeth, and I am the wind.

Magnus Gustaf
Archetype: (Battler) Retired mercenary with a past.

Dr. Soo-ah (수아) Song
Archetype: (Mentalist) Pay attention to your inner voice, I will see you in there!

James Smith
Archetype: (Spy) Everyman

And our highest ranking member,

Timbre, K9
Archetype: Battler - Do right and fear no one

Quote:
I'm contemplating a new-agey investigator of some sort, utilizing either Taoist magic, druidic magic, or postcognition/sensitive type stuff. Very vague brainwave at this point. Not sure if she/he'd have much in the way of combat ability? Is that bad?
An investigator would be very cool - we have some Psi types and a Viking type guy but don't let that scare you off. There is a lot of story space open in those realms and its VERY wide open in other FX areas.

Once you start the Character Creation tutorial, you'll all the options you have so just let you imagination run wild. I'm sure our players are happy to help with suggestions and so on, esp. since they'll have a hand in selecting the new team members.

Feel free to ask us anything! This is a Character Creation/Roller room to play in if you want to try some things out.

- Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; 09-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
How does it sound if my PC has some kind of supernatural talent, like Hermetic magic (which would fit his theme as a 'science', or a kind of shamanic magic (where he can communicate with the 'soul of the machine')?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisRising View Post
How does it sound if my PC has some kind of supernatural talent, like Hermetic magic (which would fit his theme as a 'science', or a kind of shamanic magic (where he can communicate with the 'soul of the machine')?
Sounds cool... we have a mechanic for that already too!

Yell when you are ready, we are happy to help.

- Savy
Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@OsirisRising
On a side note, we'd have a problem keeping players (and quite a few NPCs) from merging completely with their tech, so we won't have any problem with that
Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2357
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Would something like a computer/electronics expert be something that could fit in?

I like the modern-day fantasy thing, though it's been geological epochs since I've looked at Alternity, hehe.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes!! We could use the heck out of someone like that!

And that you even know what Alternity is/was it's impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Would something like a computer/electronics expert be something that could fit in?

I like the modern-day fantasy thing, though it's been geological epochs since I've looked at Alternity, hehe.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hehehe, I had an android character way back when in Alternity that I loved the heck out of.

I'll check out the thread then, the rules, the situation...see what comes to me.

Any adjustments to the character generation process shown here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=189190 to account for the late start?

Last edited by SalmonMax; 09-06-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Hehehe, I had an android character way back when in Alternity that I loved the heck out of.

I'll check out the thread then, the rules, the situation...see what comes to me.

Any adjustments to the character generation process shown here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=189190 to account for the late start?
That's the link.... No adjustments needed. Youll be just as awesome as the rest of the team. Have fun with it!

Savy
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I have some questions as I proceed.

For example, the idea of some psionics might be interesting. Specifically Electrokinesis. Psi-hacker perhaps? I note the rules for powers seem to be added on an as-needed basis.

Also, there's a lot of additional rules for hacking...am I correct in reading that the Computer subskills of Hacking and Cryptography have to be bought separately from Computer?