Website hosting for homebrew world information? - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > Resources section
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5068
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Website hosting for homebrew world information?

I was wondering if there is a "best" or even good option for hosting a website dedicated to a homebrew world. Also would using another site to get out world and rules info break the rules if all the playing took place here?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65140
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Can't answer your first question, I have no idea what would be good.

Your second question the answer is: perfectly fine.

The rules of pathfinder are hosted on another site. the game is played here. Nothing wrong with hosting the rules of your game somewhere, and playing it here.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Thank you. I assumed it would be okay but I did want confirmation before bothering to build a site. Cause thar would have sucked.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:04 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
Thank you. I assumed it would be okay but I did want confirmation before bothering to build a site. Cause thar would have sucked.
Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to direct players to offsite resources so long as the game is played here.

What you're specifically prohibited from doing is advertising games here that you intend to play on a different site (i.e. creating a shell account for the purpose of poaching players).
Old 05-30-2020, 01:51 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36898
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
How much homebrew info do you plan on creating? I've seen quite a few game runners that just post a lot of world info in threads as part of their game forum.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I have an organisation in mind and that will be easier, for me, building a site.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14640
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
If you are looking for an actual dedicated domain to host a site on like "disclaimer: I have no idea if this is an actual site - probably is, just threw it out as an example name.myhomebrewedworld.net" then it might be best to just use commonly used ones like GoDaddy or Wix.

If you just want a worldbuilder site where you can create a wiki and share the URL with your players you could always try various sites like Worldanvil or Scabbard. Both are freemium sites. I've used worldanvil personally for my world but found in the end it was just easier to use MS OneNote after I got the hang of the templates they used on WA. Which, you can always share the link to your notebook on there to folks so they can read.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:52 AM
for the love of kittehs

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43615
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
This might be a somewhat belated answer, but I have seen good things done with the wiki options on Obsidian Portal. (Note: I don't think that site can be used for PbP so it doesn't break site rules, but if I'm mistaken, hopefully someone will let us know!) Wikia (now fandom.com) is a free wiki site that I have used myself.

I greatly prefer the simplicity of a wiki that you can let players update as well as doing it yourself over the much more extensive options of something like WorldAnvil. Great if you're creating and ready to play with all the templates and types of information there (I know for a fact we have users doing that right now, as I've been linked to them), but not the easiest or quickest way to organize information.