Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 163
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
Charisma check DC20 = successful first impression made

Hi all, long time on-and-off RPer here. This site looks really interesting, looking forward to giving some play-by-post a go.

...think I rolled a 1.

Last edited by Symbelmynė; 05-31-2020 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Pressed send too soon.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:50 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65140
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

remember, a 1 on a skill check is not an auto failure. Could still be a success! Depends on the game rules, I suppose.

Hope you have a great time here, glad you joined us.
happy gaming!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM
Keeper of Three Gremlins

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3716
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome! Don't sell yourself short, taking the time to make an introduction post will give you advantage at the very least.

Do you have a favourite system to play?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
Thanks guys, I was just being kinda tongue-in-cheek to break the ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Welcome! Don't sell yourself short, taking the time to make an introduction post will give you advantage at the very least.

Do you have a favourite system to play?
I’ve both played and run D&D at the table, though mostly only low level games. I played a 4e campaign to around 10th level but isn’t my fav system.

I have a lot of affection for the granular style of 3.5, but I’ve always been a bit too scatterbrained to do a good job DMing that ruleset. I’ve tried my hand at 5e and found it easier going when it comes to keeping track of things, in and out of combat.

So I guess you could say I’m a 5e convert, but the dream is to one day run an epic 3.5 campaign.

I’d give most systems a try, enjoyed a little AD&D, Basic D&D and Call of Cthulhu over the years. Got a taste for the old school in fact - I’m a fan of stories by Michael Moorcock, R. E. Howard and Lovecraft.

I’m here mainly to get some more experience as a 5e player, as I’m planning to run a couple of one shots over Roll20.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14358
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Welcome! We've got plenty of 5e to fill your plate up, regardless of your CHA rolls.

If you like Dnd 3.5, what do you think of Pathfinder?
Old 05-31-2020, 02:13 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
I ended up in a 4e campaign when Pathfinder became a thing. I would have preferred it I think, as it’s more a continuation of the 3e progression as I understand it.

Don’t know anything about Pathfinder 2. What are your thoughts?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29100
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Haha, don't worry Elric is alive and well in almost every high elf hexblade application I see on the site. He's the original BAMF and deserves more love. How many other characters can say they played a horn that ended all of reality?!

Do you have any experience with play by post? If not, or you're just a little rusty, try the new player solo game! You'll select one of six systems and you'll be assigned your own private GM Mentor to show you the ropes and run your first adventure with you. I can't recommend them to you highly enough.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

I hope to see all my Shadowrunners there showing RPGX what they're made of!
Old 05-31-2020, 05:49 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
Yeh, I mean Elric and the wider Eternal Champion series must be a root influence when it comes to d&d, with its war between Law and Chaos and brooding, magic sword wielding anti-hero protagonists.

I've played a little play-by-post but not for over ten years. I've applied for a 5e solo game.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:27 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14358
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbelmynė View Post
Don’t know anything about Pathfinder 2. What are your thoughts?
We've definitely got more Pathfinder games available here than Pathfinder 2e at the moment. I've picked up the Pathfinder 2e books and am working on a setting for it, but it's likely to not run until autumn now that I'm entering summer and have a lot of indoor and outdoor home projects kicking in - perks of a new house. What I've seen so far from PF2e is that there's a lot of options for players to really explore and play unique characters. On the DM, the way the rules are explained is a bit muddled, but the rules themselves are great. Plus the action economy for combat is extremely streamlined compared to 3.5 and PF1e. I'm excited to keep reading it so that I'll be confident as a DM when I'm ready to run it, but it's not a this week, next week thing.

I went "off" RP-ing and play-by-post for a few years, so I've never gotten into 5e, so I'm just committing to PF2e as a DM and going to help bring it to the site. I know of one other DM here who is also working on a PF2e project that, like mine, is in the midst of the homebrew world-building stage, so at the moment I don't think there's any games advertising for players. But like I said, PF1e is still strong here, and there's 3.5 games that turn up as well if you keep your eye out.

Play-by-post is the slow and steady tortoise, but one of our moderators has had a game going for fourteen years now, which is pretty unbelievable, in a good way.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23179
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Symbelmynė ,

Really intrigued by your awesome and unique username, does it mean anything or does it refer to something?
And ofcourse, welcome over here, cool to read that you already signed up for a solo game, can recommend them. Last question; do you have a character in mind yet you want to play? (race and class?)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Symbelmynė Symbelmynė
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
We've definitely got more Pathfinder games available here than Pathfinder 2e at the moment. I've picked up the Pathfinder 2e books and am working on a setting for it, but it's likely to not run until autumn now that I'm entering summer and have a lot of indoor and outdoor home projects kicking in - perks of a new house. What I've seen so far from PF2e is that there's a lot of options for players to really explore and play unique characters. On the DM, the way the rules are explained is a bit muddled, but the rules themselves are great. Plus the action economy for combat is extremely streamlined compared to 3.5 and PF1e. I'm excited to keep reading it so that I'll be confident as a DM when I'm ready to run it, but it's not a this week, next week thing.

I went "off" RP-ing and play-by-post for a few years, so I've never gotten into 5e, so I'm just committing to PF2e as a DM and going to help bring it to the site. I know of one other DM here who is also working on a PF2e project that, like mine, is in the midst of the homebrew world-building stage, so at the moment I don't think there's any games advertising for players. But like I said, PF1e is still strong here, and there's 3.5 games that turn up as well if you keep your eye out.

Play-by-post is the slow and steady tortoise, but one of our moderators has had a game going for fourteen years now, which is pretty unbelievable, in a good way.
I'd be interested in learning more about PF2e, and if I have time to commit to a game with availability I'd definitely try it out. Same goes for 1e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Goodmorning Symbelmynė ,

Really intrigued by your awesome and unique username, does it mean anything or does it refer to something?
And ofcourse, welcome over here, cool to read that you already signed up for a solo game, can recommend them. Last question; do you have a character in mind yet you want to play? (race and class?)
My username is a flower which grows on the mounds of dead kings of Rohan. I've always thought it was an exquisite word, and like many d&d players LOTR was a big part of my formative fantasy obsession.

I'm fairly open to what kind of character I'd play. I've most often played rogues, but all 5e classes seem fun right from level 1.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15986
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Dice CHA save:
1d20+4sch20 (11)+4 Total = 15

EDIT: Damn. Well welcome anyway!

Last edited by DAquilina; 06-01-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13373
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, Symbelmynė! Oh, we've got an umlaut there on that last e... how is that pronounced, anyway?

Sounds like you've got quite a lot of experience and aspiration! I love it! I never played 4E until recently. When it first came out, I was very much on the hate-train for reasons that had little to do with the edition itself. I've only recently tried my hand at it. I'll say that it's... definitely better than I expected, but not my favorite system. It helps that the DM running the game is a good one. And I can certainly see the influences of the system on some of the 5E rules, which is pretty cool! But generally, I'll take 5E or 3.5 over 4E, in that order.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:53 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1469
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Glad you found us Symbelmynė. I've only had experience with 3.5 myself, but I'm excited to *one day* try 5e (you know, that magical day when we all get everything done that we've been putting off since... forever).

Good luck with your aspirations to DM 3.5 someday! Maybe I'll be one of your players... who knows?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:43 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 909
smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin
Welcome to the site! PF2e seems like it'd be interesting to learn more about and play with, PF1e should be easy enough to learn with your familiarity with 3.5. Just think of it as they shoved all the crazy prestige class flavoring into the classes themselves so people tend to stick with them more.

At least with the systems you've played with and the systems you're interested in, you'll have plenty of games to choose from