RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
right-aligned image

Name: Iolus (Oktar)
Race: Hobgoblin
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral
Country of Origin: Vyold
Personality: Iolus is a quiet young hobgoblin who has the ability to light up a room and make welcome those who have a different view of the world. He is a considerate person and considers everything that he says or does carefully. He has a genuine interest in others and wants to make the world a better place. He is also very fond of his own company and is happy to journey for days on his own but is good company when he relaxes. He is however, a literalist and once hlais word is given it is his bond.

He is a devout follower of Gozreh and follows the tenets of the religion as closely as he can. His pride in his clan and his new religion are such that he has no pride in himself. This makes him somewhat self-effacing so he lives simply. He does not drink alcohol or use stimulants, prefers simple food and does not value worldly goods or material possessions.

Background: Oktar was raised in Clan Atak-Rul under the leadership of General Atak. The General had decided that his warriors would be better ready to conquer the effete southern realms if they knew something of them, so he secretly had some chosen younglings tutored by southern people. Oktar was tutored by Lady Evianne Bricsh, a high born Imperial woman, who taught him the language of the south but also spoke to him of her homeland and the wonders of civilisation. She spoke of the sea and of Gozreh who rules it. He had never seen the sea and something in her words filled him with wonder and, over the years, he grew to believe in the strength of her God. He grew to understand the inevitable change that civilisation would bring to the Clan, as well as how life could be as changeable as the weather. She gave him the name 'Iolus' when she initiated him into the worship of Gozreh, that he father had given her. She told him to take it south and give it to her father if he ever needed help.

Oktar was raised to the Warband on his 13th birthday and no longer saw her regularly. He took part in Clan wars with Human and Orcish clans and fought bravely as a scout. One evening, he returned to the Clan to find that Evianne had been captured by a neighbouring clan as she tried to return home after her time on the plains was over. He tracked her to the lands of the other clan where he found her tied to an anthill - the usual method of torture used by that clan. He crept up to her and found that she was in great pain and close to death. She begged him for mercy so in one quick motion he buried his sword in her heart, then turned and ran. Chased by the clan, for he had broken their law by killing a prisoner, he ran ever southwards. He was able to evade them and come to the lands of the Empire. Reviled by the locals he lives quietly in the woods and survived using his skills to find food and water, earning some money when he can as a scout or caravan guard.

He moved south eastwards until he found Evianne's father's estate, where he took his life into his hands and spoke to the major-domo. He was dragged in front of Lord Brisch where he told his tale and handed over the broach. To his surprise, he was not flogged to death but given a post as a Huntsman's assistant which served to bind him to the service of House Brisch strongly. When the summons to meet a Princess arrived via his Lordship, Iolus packed and set off immediately. He was proud to serve Evianne's family though the ambition placed in his heart by Arak still burned there.

Hooks:
Repay Lord Brisch Iolus is aware of how much he owes Lord Brisch. He is fiercely loyal to him and his, and wishes to repay that debt in any way that he can.
Rid the world of Chaos His upbringing in the Clan has given him a respect for order, routine and the law. His own chaotic act in killing Evianne has reinforced that the consequences of Chaos are appalling. He seeks to bring order and law to all.
Civilise Clan Atak-Rul Iolus is determined to become powerful enough that he can return to the Clan and bring civilisation to it. He sees how a civilised Hobgoblin Clan could be a power for Good on the world and wishes to see it become true.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; Jun 17th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6165
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
I have this mad idea for a fetchling sorceror or arcanist information broker type thing...not sure if it's appropriate for this game setting though.
Fetchling is tricky only because we are talking a couple hundred years with zero extraplanar travel so you’d have to write a backstory to explain how a fletching still existed and didn’t get bred out (pesky humans put their peanut butter in everyone’s chocolate). Suggestions are latent bloodline in your family and emerged after the Resurgence making you the first true Fletching in centuries. Or possibly a village or community of Fletchlings, perhaps the last of the fletchlings on the planet.

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 01:26 AM
Not-So-Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3880
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
I do kind of like the latency idea. That'd make for a character who doesn't understand who or what she is...but has to cope with profound physical differences...

Interesting notion, interesting notion...I'll mull that over.

Thanks for the idea.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 357
Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf
Thardrak GrimhelmName: Thardrak Grimhelm
right-aligned image

Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral good
Country of Origin: Levusta

Personality: A proud and noble Dwarf from birth and upbringing, Thardrak is a direct man who values his honour above all gold, gems, magics or prowess. Should he strike an accord, it will be kept until the other party dares betray him first. Should an oath be sworn, he will fulfil it to pain of death. And if his life were to be saved, he would swear fealty forevermore. For to be dishonoured is to fail one's ancestors by blighting their name with your own. Aside from this, he is merry enough in good company, not being one to shy away from many a mug of fine ale given the opportunity. Perhaps unusual to some, he is not enamoured with religion and its intricacies, turning instead to his ancestor's spirits in times of difficulty.

Background: Born in a traditionalist mountain city near a century ago, Thardrak lived a life learning the crafts of his ancestors, weapon and armour smithing, axe-and-shield combat, truly prideful and honourable work, unlike the firearms and gunpowder of recent times. In time, this traditional training (Erring on the defensive side) led to him taking up several jobs as a bodyguard for merchants and diplomats travelling the more dangerous roads between towns and cities - nothing more than bandit rabble and wild animals. One driven away by his stature and (At the time) loaned and masterfully crafted equipment, and the other driven away by the simple gift of fire and the din of axe against shield. It was honest work, honourable work too that would build him a small reputation of a go-to stop for a man to keep you and your goods safe for but a small fee, food, and a few good pints of ale. T'was a charming life, with just enough danger to keep a slowly-ageing Dwarven heart from going still, but little enough to let him keep all of his eyes, fingers, and toes. (Well, almost all of them, a nasty scrap in a bar brawl sparked by an insult against him has cost him the middle toe of his right foot, he still winces if it is stepped on.) In recent times, with travel by sea becoming ever more common a method to reach the Imperium, he has plyed his trade as a merchant guard, cutting up whatever beast or bandit may have stowed away, or simply to watch the cargo hold for any skimming crewmen who might value their own fortune over their loyalty to the captain. Over time, these contracts and caravans have brought him to the capital, where he takes on smaller jobs for noblemen, some small part of him striving to settle down as he reaches his 115th year upon this world... But there's the spark of adventure in him yet, the spark that might push him out the door and let him get swept away if the right call comes, the spark that would have him go out in a blaze of honourable glory with his name going down in the ages, the spark that all young men had in them at one point - And he still has.

Hook: Centuries ago, Thardrak's great, great grandfather's life was saved by the ancestors of the Royal bloodline, causing familial blood oath to be sworn. He intends to honour that oath and settle it at last

Last edited by Banewolf; Jun 25th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Just checking on this, since there's an intrigue angle to this game... Any chance you'd have us use background skills?
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
For hooks it can be short or long term. A reason why you are not a baker or a tailor. Why are you adventuring, why did you respond to this invite? What makes you stand out? I just like seeing what look are looking for from your character , maybe it gets put in the overall story.

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
Just checking on this, since there's an intrigue angle to this game... Any chance you'd have us use background skills?
Background skills are a go.

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Not-So-Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Name: Silhouette
Race: Fetchling
Class: Sorcerer (angling for Veiled Illusionist PrC in time)
Alignment: Neutral
Country of Origin: The Imperium
Personality: Quiet and reserved, Silhouette gauges each word and action carefully for maximum impact that reveals as little of herself as possible. She is fond of long cons and careful plans, but for now contents herself with trying to build the foundation of knowledge, connections, and favors that she will one day build her empire upon.

Background:
Silhouette was a slave, once. Born 'disfigured,' and thought to be cursed, she was abandoned while still young then captured while living on the streets. She was purchased by a sage who was intrigued by her strange appearance. For the next ten years she served the sage as the subject of experiments, and in his household. During that time, one of the few points of light in her existence was a mysterious man from outside the household, who furtively taught her to read, and about a mysterious force called 'magic.' When the sage discovered this though he was livid. Things got far worse until, driven by hardship and desperation, her own magic awoke.

The little oddities of Silhouette's 'curse' flowered into something stranger and stronger. She was canny enough to keep this to herself at first, as she tried to harness and use this power for more than just random creepy occurrences. Fortunately her lessons were not in vain, teaching her the skills to try to harness and contain the power rising within her.

The truth of magic set her free. Gave her the means to work her will on others, to conceal her identity, to become someone that no one else could set themselves over ever again. In time, of course. In time.

Hooks:
For Love of Magic - Silhouette is clearly very invested in magic and its return, and in promoting that.
Whispers in Shadows - Silhouette desires power and influence, but to remain out of the public eye, which means she's angling for dealing in secrets and backroom intrigues; a calling her powers make her well-suited for.
Never Going Back - Silhouette would like very much to end any and all slavery...primarily for her own security, but also just on general principle.

Last edited by SalmonMax; Jun 19th, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 08:29 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7189
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Working on an idea... how do you feel about the feat tax rules?
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@salmon: magic has been around for 100 years at this point. Brief surge and then it leveled out, still far below what it once was (many non-artifaft magic items work at a reduced capacity) but it is there.

@exhibit: I will think about it, I know it’s a very popular houserule, I’ve never had a problem with Feat taxes personally, but I’ll look into it, see if it’s gonna mess with what I’ve got.

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Not-So-Great Old One

Tools
User Statistics
Okay cool, we can make it a surge in her own personal power then. Basic story still works.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5922
prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100
I think Willem meets minimum requirements for completion. Will probably update if/when I get new ideas.

Last edited by prometheous100; Jun 17th, 2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Moving things around
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Planar Clairvoyant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1652
Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem Aoem
Application Template
Character Name: Jokiir Eversun

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Druid

Background: Sage

Trait: "I have fond feelings when smelling flowers, or watching butterfly's."

Ideal: "Nature Reigns, and so do those who seek to preserve the balance."

Bond: "I Seek to serve the boundless abundance of a thriving and harmonious world! "

Flaw: " I must be present for my life. The path of balance is a careful one, i sometimes slip. and so does my cheerful and composed demeanor. When troubled, i can become erratically manic or sometimes very withdrawn. When angry, i smolder and stoke my anger, until piping off when shouting or breaking things around me."

Physical Description: Jokiir does not need to stoop to enter human taverns. Although, he is a bit short for the elvish tables.. He wears feathers and flowers with all the flair of the birds. Mimicking the fox walk when padding through the forest. One might see him twisting evergreen sap into his matted twisps of blonde hair. He has Eyes that shine crystalline blue, and a fine golden hued dust encircling his pupils. Always seeming to bounce from smelling clean and fragrent, to dirty and pungent. His nails are often chewed and ripped to keep them short, so that he doesn't break them when climbing boulders and trees.

Personality: "Would you care for some spiced herbal teas? I've heard that steam and spice are good to sick wishes and sore subjects. To soothe your irritated throat perhaps? You will eh? Good graces to you then!" Pours a steaming elixir into a stained char-bowl handing it over carefully. "you'll be feeling better in no time!”

Jokkir’s cheeks balloon outward as a milky white puff of smoke escapes the corner of his lips. The sages eyes roll upward in their sockets and be-musingly he peppers the firelight with cheery smoke O's. [b] If you seek visioning, or exploration of cosmic dimensions, please keep me in mind as a safe and grounded friend”. The druid says with a wink and a grin. (DC 13 Perception You notice a pouch of mushrooms near the tea pot by his feet. Wrinkly , brown caps, and long whitish stems, bruising a vivid blue.)

Background Narrative: "Oh, so you noticed.. well then, allow me to explain that look in my eye.. You see, the celestial realms and this one, have much in common. Many celestial beings are born in this plane. living in material bodies for the very first time. It takes a while to adapt you see. For some of those who have recently incarnated, It's a difficult road ahead. Some of us are just discovering our inner light."

Jokiir Finds homes wherever he goes.. Waterfall caverns.. Hollowed tree stumps.. Rabbit Holes.. and after a long day wandering ancient labyrinths, he enjoys coming home to his cozy tree house, curling up by the fire and reading his favorite Dryadic poetry. Home carved candles and spider friends are amongst his closest companions on wet and rainy nights. Frequenting river caverns and waterfalls, he has made some incredible discoveries when diving deeply into the water. A naturalist and a seeker, Jokkir got his given name 'Eversun' at his coming of age ceremony. For facing his demons, using his favorite mantra, "There is always a light in the darkest of Night!"

Last edited by Aoem; Jun 9th, 2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4141
Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx Nevynxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
still far below what it once was (many non-artifact magic items work at a reduced capacity) but it is there.
I was wondering the other day. Will that affect healing and our access to it? The usual "party wand of CLW" feels a bit out of place in this setting?
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Nice game background!

Are you alright with Psionics? Looking at something more like a Soulknife than a Psion.