Mechanics The Natural Order - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Cypher > Numenera: Solitary Excursions > Solo Game: Elinnea
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22739
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
The Natural Order

This is your standard run of the mill mechanics and dice thread. Use it for mechanical scratchwork during character creation, asking any mechanics questions, and of course for dice rolls.

I will put a handy link in this post to your character sheet when you have one. My Numenera character sheet template for Excel or Google Docs seems to work fine, if you want it - all you have to do is upload it to your own GDocs account and "publish as HTML" to provide me with a read-only copy (which will look something like this).

If that download doesn't work right, let me know.

If you'd prefer not to use Google services to maintain your character sheet, other approaches are fine, as long as I know where to go to retrieve it when I need to have a look.

I'll put up a game thread when we've got the mechanical choices and critter companion worked out.

Last edited by Aeternis; 11-06-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 311
Elinnea Elinnea Elinnea Elinnea
Google docs is fine; I've got the template uploaded there and it seems to be working correctly. Here's a view-only link for my work in progress.

I will probably have a number of questions because I'm still getting used to the Cypher system. First up as I fill in the basic info: I'm not sure how to tell if skills are based on Might or Speed (Intellect is usually clear). The Rugged descriptor bestows a lot of skills and I don't know which section to fill some of them in.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinnea View Post
I will probably have a number of questions because I'm still getting used to the Cypher system. First up as I fill in the basic info: I'm not sure how to tell if skills are based on Might or Speed (Intellect is usually clear). The Rugged descriptor bestows a lot of skills and I don't know which section to fill some of them in.
Some skills will apply to one or the other depending on how you are using them. You can put them in whichever category seems more sensible, and if you have an opportunity to use them in the other context, then it'll still apply.

For example, running tasks are usually considered to be related to Speed, but if you're running for long distances and relying on your raw stamina to outlast a pursuer, it might be a Might roll instead, for that particular usage.

I'll refresh my memory of the descriptor when I get home to where my Numenera book is stored in an hour or so, if you'd prefer to know where I'd put them.

Last edited by Aeternis; 11-06-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I see, so the category that the skills are listed under isn't too important. I've spread them out in places that seemed logical as a baseline. Probably the most puzzling were training and riding animals, which could tax any of the abilities, depending on the situation. But if all skills are context-dependent then I won't worry about it.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinnea View Post
I see, so the category that the skills are listed under isn't too important. I've spread them out in places that seemed logical as a baseline. Probably the most puzzling were training and riding animals, which could tax any of the abilities, depending on the situation. But if all skills are context-dependent then I won't worry about it.
Training is usually INT - though you're correct, there are cases where a particularly dumb and powerful animal might be "trained" through a more forceful, Might-based activity. As for riding, I would usually put that under Speed.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:22 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Where you put those skills seems reasonable. Remember that "natural animals" is a fairly interesting category.

As for the sort of critter that will follow Kamlin around, consider these options:
  • Thuman - This canine mammal has a very human-like head and face. While smarter than most animals, Thumans are not sapient. Thumans are among the more common domesticated animals in the steadfast.
  • Seskii - this lizard bears a passing resemblance to a canine, and its demeanor and behavior are similarly reminiscent of a dog or wolf. Crystalline protrusions grow on its back, and some specimens have bony, bulbous nodules on the tips of their tails, which can be swung with bone-breaking force. Seskii are a semi-commonly tamed as guard dogs in the Steadfast, but they are not widely domesticated.
  • Shanu - Meek, squirrel-sized, and vaguely shaped like small monkeys, shanu have adapted to seek the protection of larger creatures. They make willing pets for Steadfast explorers, but are just as content forming an alliance with any beast which doesn't try to eat them. Shanu are weakly telepathic, capable of exerting themselves to lend mental energy to their companion, and they can learn a number of tricks and tasks. Shanu are also highly resilient, regenerating injury far faster than most creatures of their size.
  • Griffalo, male - A tusked omnivore commonly found in herds, griffalo make passable pack animals, but are usually herded by nomads who harvest their meat, hide, and tusks. While males of the species rarely grow larger than donkeys, females grow much larger. Griffalo have a number of strange orifices on each side of their neck, which seem to serve no biological purpose, but which look as though they might be intended to interface with long-forgotten mechanical devices. Griffalo males are not naturally aggressive, except in self-defense, though females tend to be aggressively territorial.
  • Drebil - In its natural form, a drebil looks roughly like a rat with bat's wings. They are capable, however, of very detailed disguises - drebils' bodies contain extra folds of skin which can be manipulated to the appearance of any material or object of roughly the drebil's size. Drebils are ambush predators whose preferred food is the internal organs of larger creatures, even (and especially) sapient humanoids. Drebils are about as intelligent as a six-year-old human child, and often can learn to speak a broken subset of the Truth.
  • Rubar - a rubar resembles, and is probably distantly related to, a catfish, though it lives on land, moving on six small legs and its powerful, specialized tail. Natural scavengers, rubar are capable of producing a fairly strong electric shock from their barbels if provoked. Rubar are simple creatures, no more intelligent than other fishlike scavengers, but they are at least as quick in water as they are on land.
  • A customized creature - perhaps you wanted something more catlike, or perhaps an avian companion. I can come up with something that will suit these categories, if you prefer, perhaps a juvenile of a higher-level creature.
  • ??? - A randomized creature, perhaps a mutant of its kind or simply a one of a kind creature. If you pick this option, you don't get to go back and pick something else if the result isn't what you hoped; I will however make sure it's interesting.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ooh, so many intriguing options. It'd be fun to meet a few of those in the course of the story.

If you wouldn't mind coming up with a random critter, I think that would fit the character well. The scene I imagine is that Kamlin came across some unique creature in the wild, and he made an effort to approach and tame/befriend it so that he could learn more about its nature. He would probably also get a perverse pleasure if people see a weird-looking mutant thing and give them weird looks. I'm willing to adapt to whatever it turns out to be, and will keep in mind that if it dies Kamlin wouldn't be able to find another exactly like it.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Your randomized Ninth World one of a kind critter:

You can describe how Kamlin met this creature, what he calls it, etc. You might imagine that it is an unpopular visitor to most settlements.

The Specimen
The Specimen
Description
Hairless, gray, and vaguely feline, this unique specimen has a number of poorly-developed, eyelike organs studded along the front and sides of its head, and a pair of ropy antennae instead of ears, which seem to provide a strong sense of both hearing and smell. Its hide is covered in an uneven layer of leathery, dead skin rather than scales or fur, which compares unfavorably in appearance to the flesh of a mummified corpse. This layer regrows over time if scraped off. Below this protective cuticle, and on parts of its body where the dead layer does not form, the creature's flesh is dark in color, with visible blue veins that glow noticeably. Its eyes and the inside of its mouth are similarly blue.

The specimen is most notable for being able to move through metal objects and barriers as if they did not exist. Indeed, it appears as though the creature is completely unaware of the existence of metallic substances, and equally unable to interact with them.
Size:
The specimen's shoulder is slightly higher than Kamlin's knee, and including its long tail, it is slightly longer than he is tall. It weighs significantly less than he does.
Motive: Hunting, self-preservation, curiosity
Environment: unknown
Health: 8
Damage Inflicted: 2 points (ignores metallic armor)
Armor: 1
Movement: Long
Modifications:
Perception as level 3.
Climbs and jumps as level 4.
Combat:
Attacks with teeth and clawed forepaws to hunt, or when threatened. A favorite tactic by this creature seems to be pouncing down from a high surface, such as a tree or boulder.

As the specimen passes through metal as easily as air, and does not seem capable of sensing metallic objects, its teeth and claws completely ignore metallic armor, and ignore 1 point of any armor made partially out of metal. Similarly, it is immune to damage from weapons made entirely out of metal. A metallic weapon coated in a nonmetallic paint or laquer would damage the specimen normally.
Interaction:
This specimen seems to share many mannerisms with other solitary feline predators found in the Ninth World, but this may be a form of convergent evolution rather than any genetic relation. It possesses only average intelligence for a solitary hunting animal, though it does demonstrate some social responses that suggest it is not solitary through its entire life cycle. Metallic creatures cannot interact with the specimen in any way - it does not seem to even recognize that they exist.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
Comments on your sheet so far:

1. The START HERE worksheet has Kamlin's stat pools at 9/11/14, your main sheet has them at 10/10/14. Did you make a last minute change?

2. You don't have the descriptor abilities and powers listed on START HERE, though they seem to be on the main sheet just fine.

Generally correct otherwise, and the points above are minor. I'll start working on that game thread opening post.

Last edited by Aeternis; 11-10-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I wasn't feeling well this past week, so I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to respond, just as we're getting the game started. I've been mulling over a name for the creature (love its concept by the way!) as well as a little vignette of how they met. I'll do my best to make up my mind about that by tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out the ability score discrepancy - I was waffling on how to distribute the points and thought I updated both pages but I guess I forgot. I'll fill in the descriptor abilities as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
The game thread is now up. Sorry for the delay. I think your character sheet is pretty much good to go, mechanically; if you have a bit about meeting and naming the specimen, I will factor that into future posts and subplots.