Other Hell on Earth: A Doom Inspired Role-Play - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Garrettq Garrettq
Hell on Earth: A Doom Inspired Role-Play

Game NameHell on Earth: A Doom Inspired Role-Play
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeHumanity enduring, fighting on despite all odds
FlavourUnforgiving, post apocalyptic, mechanics light.
Plot Summary
Earth: 2086Mankind already survived one apocalypse. As the climate changed arable land shrank dramatically, millions starved as nations warred against one another. Corporations and individuals alike scrambled desperately to adapt to the changing planet, to try to eke out a way for life to continue. If you were lucky you slaved for eighteen hours a day for a bed in the bunkhouse and enough soybeans to stay alive. Everyone else begged, stole or starved. It wasnít so long ago. Veterans from those days are still alive. And everyone who remembers life under a different flag is a veteran, whether they served in the army or not.

Theyíll tell you it was almost surreal how fast things improved after their leaderís surrendered to the all mighty Coalition. Suddenly it was only six twelve hour shifts a week, with breaks. They had their own little place to live, a comfortable apartment with electricity and hot water in limited supply. There was lab grown meat almost every day. It was utopia. With the secret to creating infinite energy practically from thin air, the Coalition could care for all its citizens, and at long last the earth saw a one world government.

A technocracy they called it. A meritocratic government system where the state was run by a council of the greatest minds, carefully selected based both on academic success and certain personality test that made sure you thoughtÖ logically. Nobody cared it wasnít democratic, not enough. Nobody cared how this new regiment restricted the flow of information. These things were hardly new to many. Besides, life was too good, the hell that came before was too fresh in the peopleís minds.

Who would ever want to revolt? Every year there were less hours to work, better food to eat, more and more miracles of technology that existed purely to entertain. Within two generations citizens had their pick of fulfilling work in the arts or technology sector, if they wanted it, or a life of free time to enjoy the fruits of those fields if they didnít. People were happy, they loved the council, they trusted them.

They believed them when they claimed to have discovered some radio signal hoo-ha that would optimize our brains. Said it would improve our health, our mental state, slow the rate of aging to make us live indefinitely. It wasnít the first time some of their science magic improved our bodies, in the moment, it wasnít so hard to believe.

It would only work once they said, it would only be offered once. So nearly three fourths of the planet packed like cattle into auditoriums, or else fields set up with speakers just for this. That was the day our utopia ended. Like a perfect glass statue shattered instantly and irreversibly.

The song was beautiful like nothing else, or so Iím told, obviously Iíve never heard it. Those that did changed. At first it wasnít obvious to the rest of us. They seemed happier, practically bouncing with manic energy as they came home. Then they went straight to the kitchen or the shed, picked up something with a blade. Plenty of us had stayed home. Those who thought man made immortality was a sin against god, or else those who just thought it was too good to be true. Nobodyís left to keep the numbers, but its safe to say damn near all of us died that day. It didnít matter who you were before, their parent, their friend, their freaking child, you were food now.

Thatís a literal statement by the way, well kinda. They didnít just eat us, they made symbols and altars with our bodies and blood, maybe the eating is just part of the whole shebang. Whatever it was, rifts started opening then. As if mommy with a meat cleaver wasnít scary enough. All manor of horrors came through those black portals, more then I care to list here. They all snack on us though, and some like to play with their food.

Suffice it to say you better tread carefully if you want to stay alive.

HellI have been aliveÖ for so goddamn long. I used to try to count the days, but I lost track around ten thousand, and I lost track a long, long time ago.

Hereís what happens when you die. Everything fades to black, your consciousness slips, but not all the way. Like when you zone out and your vision goes fuzzy, then with a sudden Ďurkí your back. Youíll feel cold stone beneath your bare skin, youíll probably bump your head trying to stand up, and then, youíll see the light! What else are you going to do but crawl and wriggle your way towards it? Word of warning, it aint your dead babushka waiting to guide you to heaven outside, itís what I call the scorched land.

First rule, If you see anything on the horizon run towards it. Itís hot, you donít have shoes, and you got at least a mile of burning gray ash to clear before you find shade or anything to wrap around your blistered feet. Now you just came out of a hive. Big freaking semi-circle jutting out of the earth, covered in holes juuust big enough for you to squirm your way out of. Word of expert advice, if your hole is too high up and you donít got a good path to climb down, just do a nose dive. Do it right and youíll break your neck, repeat, and eventually youíll come out someplace near the ground. Someone strong enough to carry you will be happy for the free meat.

Oh yeah, thatís the next big thing. There is nothing to eat down here but meat, and friend, you are now the absolute bottom of the food chain. Unless you can reliably kill someone with your bare hands, in which case your exactly one notch above the bottom of the food chain. Congrats. Thatís the other reason you want to get out ASAP. No cover, nowhere to hide, Iíd say at least one in four deaths down here is getting picked up on my sprint out by something with wings. The worst ones swallow you whole, you donít know pain until youíve been digested alive, even for this place its a damn awful ways to go.

So! Letís say you survive the climb down, and outrun the winged horrors, and make it to the dot in the distance, remember that? It could be anything, literally anything. A mountain full of caves, a derelict castle, a leviathanís rotting corpse, you never really know what to expect. Well be careful when you get close, because you can expect an ambush.

Usually a tribe, thereís more humans then anything else down here. You can count on them at least having shivs and clubs, easy enough to make those from bones if no wood is available. The real scary ones will have armor from tanned leather, and better weapons, sometimes even bows and javelins. Now if theyíre reasonable and theyíre doing okay on food they might not kill you outright, but thatís hardly the norm. Plus, even if youíre not killed on site youíre not getting fed unless your useful, and good luck communicating your skill if it isnít being big and strong.

Yeah thatís another thing, we arenít grouped up by nationality or anything down here. Iíd wager a well-functioning crossbow that Iíve bumped into less then a hundred people in my years that could speak my native language. Your better off learning the devil tongue like me, itís more common, and rest assured you do want to find other people. Itís the only way to live halfway decent down here. Hell, if your group gets big enough even some of the demons will leave you alone.

Thereís only one thing better than being in a strong tribe, and thatís getting out. Unfortunately, the latter almost always dissolves the former. Itís rare rifts open but forever is a long time, youíll see them. Most common one is a pillar of electric blue light spiraling up high into the sky, everyone for miles will see it, and everyone but nobody will sprint straight towards it. Cause if youíre the first one there, and only the first one there, youíll be possessing some poor soul. Before you ask, I donít know what causes the rifts or what happens to your new host. Smart money is whatever twisted bastard designed this place made these because the disappointment and chaos they cause outweighs the temporary joy one escapee gets.

I said that was the most common kind. Until recently, if you ask me, it was the only kind.

Now when I said you never know what to expect down here I meant it, but that only goes so far. A new flavor of monstrosity ripping me apart, a new house of horrors? Sure, thatís normal enough. This though, this was a big change, something I had never seen before. First off half the people down here went crazy, and Iíve seen plenty of crazies down here, this is the sickest kind. Theyíre happy! Lost count how many times Iíve heard laughter gradually fade as one of the creeps was swooped up and carried into the sky. Thatís unnerving, but whatís dangerous is they work together, and they all speak the demon tongue. Iíll tell you theyíve made getting through the wasteland a hell of a lot harder.

But around the same time they showed up Iíve heard people swear. Thereís more portals now, black ones that donít broadcast themselves to the sky, that donít shut when you go through. Iím yet to see one with my own eyes, but the chief says if we find one, weíre going through, no matter whatís guarding it.

I'm excited.

Player InfoSo in honor of Doomís new release, and a massive bout of free time this quarantine has granted me, I decided to remake an old Ďhell on earthí roleplay I ran some years back. Youíll be using a custom rule set Iím still finishing, which aims to make combat more unforgiving, injuries more hindering, all while staying fairly light on mechanics. Youíll be playing either one of those lucky few whoís thus far survived both apocalypses on earth, or a long time inhabitant of hell who just made his way up to the earth.

The latter will get more points in character creation but canít use modern technology without serious penalty. If your playing the former, feel free to make up some lore about time before The Coalition, like what the country your family came from was like, what you did during the war if you were old enough, ect. The last of the conflicts ended only a decade or so before this calamity, so you should be able to make a veteran of pretty much any age youíd like.

Obviously if your playing someone from hell, feel free to come from whatever time period or society you fancy. Note that you donít have to play someone evil or even selfish, plenty of souls downstairs have no idea what they did to deserve their punishment.

Now Iím planning to take 3-4 players, but most likely everyone will be playing a solo thread, the reason for that is simple. I fully expect you to die, most likely more than once. When you do, you pop down to hell with all the knowledge and skills youíve accumulated. Alone, but just a little bit more formidable, thatís typically when we did the level ups, but thatís hardly a firm rule.

Posting RateI won't promise more then one big post a week, but at least for the foreseeable future I'll likely be doing much more. In light of that I won't demand more then one big post a week, but more is always nice.

ApplicationsIíll just want the basic stuff.
Name:
Background: As much as youíd like, but I really just need a paragraph or two.
Appearance: A pictureís fine if youíd rather.
Personality: Specifically Iím interested in what motivated you and how you approach problems.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hell on Earth-Mechanics.doc (50.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Garrettq; 04-03-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Reserved for Q&A
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Timehopping 🌹 Gunslinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 264
OrianaOleander OrianaOleander OrianaOleander
Doom is my favorite game series :O Can't wait to get started on Doom Eternal

Homebrew ruleset, gritty and action packed yet simple to crunch? I like the style choice, maybe we could trade notes sometime
Old 03-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
I hope to have the the rules finished and posted today, at least the rough draft. Feedback will be very much welcome, lol.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Alright, mechanics are added in the form of a word file. Feedback is very much appreciated, just please be kind and be aware this is an extremely rough draft.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
This sounds very interesting! I'll have to check it out in depth tomorrow.

Going to pass. It sounds good but not really feeling it atm.

Last edited by Vesper; 03-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3825
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
This is a welcome change from all of the standard fantasy games being advertised, and a well-written ad to boot. Throwing my hat in for this and I'll get working on a character asap.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:11 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
WereVick
Howdy! Newcomer here who'd like to get in on some apocalyptic action, I had a very clear idea come to mind the second you mentioned we could be from hell so I'll just jump straight into that.

Name: Marek, last name forgotten
Background: Marek was a man of God first and foremost. He was holy in his life, he said his prayers, paid his tithes, and everyone who knew him would say he was a good man. So when the call to retake the holy land was made, why wouldn't he take up arms like many of his brethren? The things Marek did in the crusades almost made him waver in his faith, but he remained true to God until the day he died and when he bled out on the battlefield he smiled knowing he had earned his place in heaven. So why was he stuck in that desolate place? Why was he made to experience pain beyond human comprehension and torment unimaginable? Why him?

Why must a good christian suffer? After year 500 Marek came to an answer, he was no good christian. At some point in his life he had sinned and doomed himself, only this realization let him keep his sanity. When Marek found that black portal he knew God had granted him mercy, when he walked through and found himself in the alien world he knew was his old home, he knew god had granted him a chance at redemption. Marek had been granted a second chance, this time there would be sin. This time he would be a good man. This time he would atone for whatever he had done.

Appearance: Average height for modern times Marek would have been considered tall in his own. Marek has long scraggly black hair and an unkempt beard that looks anything but flattering on him. He has a sort diamond face type going on with a broken nose and big blue eyes. His build is a sort of hybrid between muscly and very malnourished.

Personality: In his first life, Marek was a jovial kind man who could have been considered the pillar of the community where he lived. In the first few centuries of his time at hell Marek was constantly hysterical and crazed. Finally Marek now is a very stoic and rueful individual with the attitude of "come hell or high water God's will WILL be done." He's a bit quiet so he can be as a bit simple, and well he is a bit simple, but he's mostly just contemplative.

Last edited by WereVick; 03-24-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Alright! I was worried after the first day I wouldn't have any takers, lol. Any questions on the rules or character creation go right ahead and ask, I do hope to add a bit more to the mechanics but I'll let you know when I do.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Just wanted to bump and let people know that I'll most likely start the game as soon as I get a thread given to me, though I don't know how long that takes. Since I have at least one player who wants to play a hellwalker, I'll go ahead and ask how you'd feel about starting in hell? And if your interested in that would you rather start relatively stable in a tribe, or at the absolute bottom, having just crawled out of your rock?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
WereVick
I wouldn't mind starting in hell at all. In regards to where, I'd be down for starting wherever but I think I'd prefer starting at the absolute bottom.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Well I got a PM that said I'm not getting a game thread until I either have 6-8 applicants or edit my add to have pre-aproved players. So I think I'm just going to give it through the weekend to see if I anyone else jumps in, or if those who voiced interest make a character/ask for more time. Assuming that doesn't happen I'll just put you WereVick in as a pre approved character and we should be good to start relatively soon, hopefully I can take on more characters later if more jump in down the road.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62753
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Sounds like you have some interested folks... get some apps rolling in, or choose them as accepted, or... you'll have a game soon if you can keep the interest growing!
Old 04-01-2020, 02:16 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Garrettq Garrettq
Alright, I'm going to go ahead and list WereVick as accepted and start the game this afternoon. If anyone else wants to be accepted into the game let me know by then, If there's a way to let people join after the fact I'll keep bumping the app periodically.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3825
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Sorry all, I'm withdrawing due to time constraints

Last edited by Nade; 04-01-2020 at 08:31 AM.