Other Eclipse Phase: What Measure is a Transhuman? - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9069
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I just got the book and have been going over the character creation prosses and was doodling around in the Trait section and I came across Acumen right away and decided to put in 2 CP points for a +10 to COG Checks.
  • Is that a straight up +10 COG stat increase?
  • A +10 to skills that use COG?
  • Or just to some sort of base stat check that uses COG?
I've also been looking at Empath that increases SAV but figured I'd ask to make sure before I mess up what I already have written down

If I had only gone on to STEP 11 before posting here, I would have found out all about Aptitude Checks

Edit: I have changed Amelia's Role from Knowledge/Social to Social/Knowledge

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: Mostly UNAVAILABLE from April 10th to the 26th...unless I get board! :p

Last edited by Silk; 03-25-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
I just got the book and have been going over the character creation prosses and was doodling around in the Trait section and I came across Acumen right away and decided to put in 2 CP points for a +10 to COG Checks.
  • Is that a straight up +10 COG stat increase?
  • A +10 to skills that use COG?
  • Or just to some sort of base stat check that uses COG?
I've also been looking at Empath that increases SAV but figured I'd ask to make sure before I mess up what I already have written down

If I had only gone on to STEP 11 before posting here, I would have found out all about Aptitude Checks
I wish these were better, but your last answer is sadly the correct one with the RAW. So is your instinct that it's for Cognition checks.

It is a boost added onto attribute checks (COG in this case). So any check that requires a pure COG check, which is usually a COG x 3 check, gets that value added (aka: COG x3 +x; if you had 20 COG that'd and Acumen 2 you'd make pure COG checks at 60 + 10 = 70). Mainly that'd be things like trying to make complex calculations off the top of your head, or succeed at a COG based puzzle. It's a great ego trait to take to roleplay a complex problem-solving mind, but if you can afford it your skills will thank you more if you raise COG by 5 for 5 CP instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From a min-max perspective, the best attributes to boost this way are SOM and WIL, because resisting poisons/diseases (including biological exsurgent strains) are pure SOM checks (as are things that don't really fit Athletics/Free Fall, like smashing a door). Resisting Psi, and psychosurgical manipulation, and psi-related exsurgent strains are pure WIL checks, as is part of using Psi (and iirc adapting to a new body is also WIL). The next best is probably INT, because you use INT to resist basilisk hacks (including, yet again, exsurgent basilisk hacks), and it's arguably the 'what is the most common sense thing I could do/decide based on what I know' check when you're stuck/looking for inspiration.

The rest are meh, with SAV being the worst imho, because there is almost nothing you can do with SAV that wouldn't be covered by one of the SAV skills (Deceive: all lying, misleading. Provoke: all emotional plays in arguments, or through body language, from seduction to pissing people off. Kinesics: all reading of people, directly or indirectly. Persuade, all social interaction not covered by the others, from small talk, to negotiating a nuclear arms deal, to being polite).

I was thinking of suggesting taking the INT increasing trait on your morph to represent piecing clues together, ala: the Observer's specialty.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:43 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the breakdown of the Aptitude Checks and I think I'll get a point or two into the one that up's INT for the RP value as you suggested.

I already put 15 points into boosting Amelia's Aptitude's but after hearing how WIL is important for resisting certain things, I feel I don't need to go COG wild. I chose the Inquirer Aptitude Template and upped COG and SAV. Think I'll move the 5 points I put into COG into WIL. It has the added bonus of enforcing the concept that Amelia has a higher than average willpower and be a bit of min/maxing at the same time.

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Fri: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: Mostly UNAVAILABLE from April 10th to the 26th...unless I get board! :p

Last edited by Silk; 03-25-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:52 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Thanks for the breakdown of the Aptitude Checks and I think I'll get a point or two into the one that up's INT for the RP value as you suggested.

I already put 15 points into boosting Amelia's Aptitude's but after hearing how WIL is important for resisting certain things, I feel I don't need to go COG wild. I chose the Inquirer Aptitude Template and upped COG and SAV. Think I'll move the 5 points I put into COG into WIL. It has the added bonus of enforcing the concept that Amelia has a higher than average willpower and be a bit of min/maxing at the same time.
Willpower's interesting. I would never suggest dumping it past 10 (aka going to 5), but it's probably okay for some characters to drop it, because with proper picks you can make up for weaknesses (like taking the morph familiarity trait that lets you take no tests for sleeving certain kinds of morphs). It doesn't help that skill-wise it has no impact except for asyncs, making it look unappetizing at first glance. But 15-20 is a much more respectable amount, because it WILL get checked at some point as an aptitude check, and you want at least some of the party to not spend some time gibbering in horror, or getting mind controlled, or suffering from poor morph adaptation.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11550
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I've not compiled my character sheet beyond some preliminary notes - would you like me to go to that stage of character creation already, or at least put up what I have? I was holding back a tiny bit on that front because there seemed an abundance of tech characters, so coordinating to a small degree seems prudent. Then again I can make one sheet now and change it if the situation requires it later.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
I've not compiled my character sheet beyond some preliminary notes - would you like me to go to that stage of character creation already, or at least put up what I have? I was holding back a tiny bit on that front because there seemed an abundance of tech characters, so coordinating to a small degree seems prudent. Then again I can make one sheet now and change it if the situation requires it later.
As long as you're open to changes you can start working on it. I'm not averse to people who know what they're doing being extra-prepared once group creation starts.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11550
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Alright, I added my non frill sheet notes to my app. Were Morph points brought up yet? I am currently going with the recommended six.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Alright, I added my non frill sheet notes to my app. Were Morph points brought up yet? I am currently going with the recommended six.
I like the '6' sweet spot for new games, and am indeed planning on using it.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
I decided to put what character creation information that I had on paper at the bottom of Amelia's application as I was afraid I might lose them. It has happened before.

Anything with a ? I am unsure about and I would love any feedback people will give me. And yes, I am well aware that she has only a few combat skills. I don't see Amelia even picking up a gun until Firewall recruited her. Hence only 5 skill points in Guns

And now, as I told Phettberg that I would prioritize getting a post up in his Shadowrun game today, and I obviously didn't I will go do that and hope Phett doesn't have my character Dunn get mugged on the way to the meet

Edit: Got the post up Phettberg so no need having Dunn mugged

Last edited by Silk; 03-25-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I decided to put what character creation information that I had on paper at the bottom of Amelia's application as I was afraid I might lose them. It has happened before.

Anything with a ? I am unsure about and I would love any feedback people will give me. And yes, I am well aware that she has only a few combat skills. I don't see Amelia even picking up a gun until Firewall recruited her. Hence only 5 skill points in Guns

And now, as I told Phettberg that I would prioritize getting a post up in his Shadowrun game today, and I obviously didn't I will go do that and hope Phett doesn't have my character Dunn get mugged on the way to the meet

Edit: Got the post up Phettberg so no need having Dunn mugged
I'm sure Phett can give you a little slack.

I definitely do have a few critiques. The first is purely mechanical, you can only take 6 points worth of negative ego traits, it's on page 46 of the 2e core book under 'ego traits'.

The second is about your choice in taking Bad Luck. I won't say don't do it, but EP from 1e to 2e replaced attribute boosts from morphs with the new pools. These pools can be recharged multiple times a day with a short recharge, and are always full after a full rest. One of the strongest features is the ability to flip-flop dice to generate successes out of failures using those pools, especially since the increased successes are supposed to be replacing the greater chance of success the old attribute bonuses provided.

So just keep that in mind: the game is designed under the assumption most players can have access to 4-5 point pools minimum in their areas of expertise, and can use flip flop to turn failures into successes as needed. Bad Luck is a serious mechanical hit. Not deadly, but your roles WILL feel more swingy.

Fray is basically for dodging, and only works well against melee and jumping away from AOE stuff (it's halved against gun attacks). 40 is respectable, 45 is much better because 44 is a critical, and right now a 44 is a crit failure for you, but for 5 points it becomes a critical success. Everyone should know this.That's true of all stats btw, making any number under 60 biased towards the ~5s digit for value (35, 45, etc...). Ultimately offing your opposition first is a better defense though for non-combat characters.

If you can find the points (I'd suggest dropping Interface by ten for this probably, though it's a bit painful, so I can understand your conundrum), to raise guns to 25 that'd be better. Combined with accuracy modifiers/specialties you could probably get it to 45 pretty reliably in a gun fight from there, and that makes you not great, but a lot more competent than you would be now. If you go the Skillware route you could arguably take 0 in Guns to reinforce your character's non-training.

You were spot-on raising all those social skills to 80 btw, while they never cost 'extra' rez points (experience) to raise later, they do take longer (1 downtime week per point, instead of 1 downtime week per 5 points for skills that are under 60).

The acronyms and other jargon you wrote down was also quite smart, I might rip that and add a couple in for a glossary to the game forum once we're getting started.

Last edited by UnderDarkLord; 03-26-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: For emphasis
Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks, I must have missed the part where you can only take 6 negative ego traits and I'll think on the Bad Luck trait. I had a few games where bad luck(trait/feat/quality) was fun to RP in-game and chose it without thinking too much about it. As I want to keep the other negative trait I'll be getting rid of the Bad Luck one.

I did remember the rule about rolling 44's and the like but I just didn't consider it when I was figuring out the skills. So thanks for pointing that out. And I only glanced at the rez point section so having all her social skills at 80 was just a coincidence

I think I will use the Skillware for Guns, in fact, I could see her using it for any other skill she might need. Black Markets, knowledge on any subject, Free Fall for navigating 0-g habs, etc Running two skills at 60 or three programs at 40(non-combat) should work for her. I'll have to go through the book and make sure exactly what I can do with the Skillware, and what she can afford Edit #2: I remembered wrong, 40 for active and 80 for Know.

Edit: I'll also see about finishing up my application later today as I got Saga all figured out in my head(in this game is that a pun? ). I just need to type it out. And I will be adding one more paragraph to Amelia's background about her time on Luna.

Last edited by Silk; 03-26-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
My application for Amelia Vatatzes is now officially complete and I'll not be adding any more to it. Filled out the Muse section and added a sentence to the beginning of paragraph 5 and a final paragraph at the end of the background. Seriously, 8 paragraphs for the background is a bit much, even for me. Glad, you like reading so much UnderDarkLord.

I'll probably square away the information for my character sheet sometime next week. After looking at the morph's I was wondering what ideas you had for making the Observer morph?

Last edited by Silk; 03-27-2020 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:47 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
My application for Amelia Vatatzes is now officially complete and I'll not be adding any more to it. Filled out the Muse section and added a sentence to the beginning of paragraph 5 and a final paragraph at the end of the background. Seriously, 8 paragraphs for the background is a bit much, even for me. Glad, you like reading so much UnderDarkLord.

I'll probably square away the information for my character sheet sometime next week. After looking at the morph's I was wondering what ideas you had for making the Observer morph?
Haven't read it again yet, but I'll do so when I have the time: Friday's my IRL gaming day.

Observer morph would probably come out to something like Cost: 5 MP Avail: 50 WT: 7 DUR: 35 DR: 53 Insight: 3 Moxie: 1 Vigor: 1 Flex: 2 Movement Rate: Walker 4/20 Ware: Biomods, Cortical Stack, Mesh Inserts

Basically a slightly more adaptable Menton (since Intuition and Cognition use the same pool in Insight, but the Observer is more meant for field work). I'd bet Observer didn't make the cut primarily because it's main Pool is the same as the Menton's, and they seem to have wanted examples that didn't have that kind of overlap, or were too iconic to not include (like the Futura).
Old 03-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the Observer morph stats

And as has happens from time to time, I got bored on the weekend and decide to do a little doodling around with sites Table Tags to make a character sheet for a new system I'm interested in but the site has not made yet. So here is my rendition of a second edition Eclipse Phase character sheet. I made it in the style of the one found in the back of the book. I left some things out as they could be easily added in the notes section under T-tags.

I did have a question though.
  • The character sheet in the book listed everything out for the Muse stats and I was wondering if that was the stats for every Muse?

Last edited by Silk; 03-28-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1628
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Finally completed my application!

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...91#post8698891