Game Thread Chapter I.I - The Basilisk Gate - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-04-2020, 02:01 PM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is offline
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 4332
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,494


At the suggestion that she was an opportunist, Bethani raises a single eyebrow at the cleric. "I'm... " But her words are cut off by the approach of the peddler of the cheap and the useless. At first she was almost tempted to ask if he had a potion of healing, but seeing that no one else even turned to look, Bethani stoically continued on.

By the time the group passed the alley with the Flaming Fist thugs, Bethani's ears were burning. And she began to wonder if there were a god she could pray to that could in some way help. Perhaps Ilmater could help her endure the torture. And as if a blessing had been granted, she noticed them, and they in turn noticed their group. ~ Blessed be. Bethani thought, as one of the thugs turned, thinking himself someone special. But she remembered why they were here and instead of confronting him, grit her teeth instead. Her hands itched to draw her bow and show him how special he was. It wasn't a protective notion, she cared little for the peasant. He would either grow stronger, or die. That was the way of things. No, what she hated was being challenged, and doing nothing about it. She instead followed the others in to the Elfsong.

Between the jealousy that was now warring with her longing for the Human rogue, a Elven voice interrupted any thought that Bethani had been thinking not a moment before. Soon she was entranced, as were many in the room. "This isn't the right song," she barely heard her new 'friend' say. But she couldn't tear her eyes away from the ghostly Elf. "That wasn't the right song," she hears Erna say again after the song had ended. Feeling a wetness on her cheek, Bethani angrily swipes it away and searches faces for anyone who may have noticed the moment of weakness. Seeing no one, she starts to follow after Erna, but finds herself following Bethrynna to the bar instead.

A crooked smile pulls at her face as she grabs up the glass of wine presented to them. She's about to down it, just as Unferth had, when she heard the sputtering of the Golden Elf. She lowers her hand and instead takes a slow sip of it, a part of her not wishing to be seen as an 'uncultured cretin' by her fellow Elf. "Yes, n-no appreciation." As she tastes the wine, the first time she'd ever had elverquisst, Bethani's eyes widen in surprise at how good it was. A new appreciation for drinking slowly began to form, as she carried her new favorite drink to where Erna and her friend were.

She looks to Erna, wanting the same information her fellow Beth had asked. She takes another small sip of her Elven wine, letting the flavor entrance her, before taking a seat so to be facing their other companions across the room. With a devilishly smile at Bethrynna, she leans forward to her partner. "И така, как се играе тази игра?" Translation: "So, how is this game played?"

I'm using Bulgarian for Orcish, from Google Translate.
she asks Erna in Orcish. "Are we playing for gold, or silver?" she asks once everyone is seated.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 01-13-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-07-2020, 05:41 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 10499
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,005
Wading through the filth
left-aligned image

"Nor the siblings of the wood despair.Nid yw brodyr a chwiorydd y coed yn anobeithio,he replied to Bethrynna, finishing off the greeting but obviously a bit surprised with both her words and the intensity with which she regarded the wine. You’re welcome, my lady.Mae croeso i chi, fy arglwyddes." He swapped to common once more. "Not many here appreciate such finery. Are you new to the city? Brought in from Elturel, perhaps?" he asked.

Still a bit taken aback by the song, he shook his head slowly at Sarillar's question as he used an old, greying rag to wipe down the counter-top. The cloth looked as if it was every bit as old as Alan's seventy-five years, though not nearly in as good of shape as the half-elf.

“I,” he started, seeming unsure of himself, “I only caught bits of it. Your friend here is right though, it wasn’t the song that she is known for. Several times, every day, she sings of a love that was lost at sea. Not this time. This time it was as she said… although… I didn't think that it spoke of the time before the Companion. It said ‘devilish hordes’ and ‘cloven feet.’ I only know as much lore as the bards that play here provide, but it doesn’t sound like it’s about the undead that used to plague the city. Live in the Gate long enough and you’re certain to see a devil or two…” he trails off, staring off and lost in thought, his hand moving slower until it stops. With another shake of his head his grin returns and he throws the rag beneath the bar. “Bah, what do I know. Damned refugees have everyone seeing ghosts and looks like they managed to spook the ones we already had,” he said with a small chuckle.

Looking at Sarillar closer, he couldn’t help but examine that mask closer. “Ain’t never seen a mask like that before,” he said. “That some kind of cult thing?”

Two men arrived at the bar, grinning from ear to ear as they asked for a round of drinks for themselves as well as the dwarf and two women sitting around the table they just left. Its top still littered with small, cubes of bone that had been stained a dark red. As they waited for Alan, Karra raised an amused eyebrow at the dwarf as he asked about Tarina.

“Ha,” she said with playfulness in her voice, “I thought you mad when you bet five gold that last round, but that's nothing compared to what you are going to lose if you plan to go up against Tarina. She’s either blessed with divine luck or fast fingers - perhaps both. She’s usually playing upstairs. Not sure if she’s in tonight.” She spent a moment taking in Relena. “Why are you looking to get wrapped up in that trouble?” she asked neither of them in particular.

While the rest of the group sat nearby, a waiter rushed over to them. “Anything I can get ya?” he asked, his words rushing together and almost forming one, “Got wine and ale, dinna’s hot, and there are them games in the chest by the couch.”



 
__________________
Whether we know each other or not, if you are going through a tough time, need someone to vent or talk to, or have something amazing to share, please feel free to message me.
We're all in this together <3
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is offline
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-01-2020
RPXP: 14559
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,263
a game of chance
right-aligned image
Erna Luckschild
Half-orc Cleric of Tymora (Life Domain)

 


Erna unslings her pack and pulls up a chair at the table, setting the pack down in her lap. She rummages inside while she speaks. "So do you know how the cards work? Like, fifty-two cards, four suits, thirteen cards each? Let me show you."

She extracts a small pouch, which she quickly unbuckles, and removes a set of playing cards from within. These cards are made from exceptionally thick paper, printed via woodcut and painted with watercolors. They have seen some use, but they remain a very fine set of cards, more at home in an upscale clubhouse than a common tavern. She flips through the deck and pulls out a few cards, laying them down as she speaks. "Four suits: hounds, leafs, horns, and nooses. The cards are numbered one to ten, plus three royal cards: the knave, the queen, and the king." She lays down a one of nooses: it shows a hunter with a game noose at his belt, bow in his hand. She follows it with a knave of leafs, which depicts a young man lounging beneath a tree. Then a four of hounds, with four dogs cresting a hill, and a three of horns, with three mounted and armored men, each blowing a horn. "One of nooses. See the noose at his belt? It's marked in the corner, too. Then the knave of leafs, the four of hounds, three of horns." The cards are each marked in the corners, as well.

"So the game is pretty simple. We draw high card for who goes first. Then we shuffle the deck and deal out all the cards." She picks the cards up and begins shuffling them, a process she is careful with so as to not damage them. "We'll let Henrick go first this time, just to keep it simple." She starts dealing out the cards, an activity that has been practiced so much as to be automatic. "Henrick will put down a card, then everyone else goes 'round the circle, putting down a card with a matching suit. Then the person with the highest card takes the pile and adds it to their score. At the end of the game, the team with the most scoring cards wins."

"Don't forget the whiskeyjack part," Henrick interjects.

Erna glowers at him. "I was getting to that," she says. "There's three other rules you got to be aware of. First, if you have a card of the right suit, you gotta play it. Second, if you don't have a card of the right suit, you hafta pass, and you can't win that pile. And third, the knaves are wild. That means you can play any knave, any time, and it will automatically win the pile. Don't hafta match suits with a knave."

"Some people call the knaves 'jacks'," explains Henrick. "That's where whiskeyjack comes from."

"Yes," says Erna. "And the whiskey part is 'go home, Jack, you're drunk.'"

"You just made that up," Henrick says, chuckling.

"I did," Erna admits.

"It's important to remember that it's a team game," Henrick says. "You're working with your partner to get the most tricks...er, piles...between the two of you."

The waiter interjects himself, then. Henrick orders a round of the house amber ale for the table.
__________________
he/him/his — DM Westport — Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM
The Rat Queen's Avatar
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen is offline
The Archfriend.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 10199
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Posts: 4,254
Settling In
right-aligned image
Bethrynna was pleased to see her half-elven companion treating the wine with the proper respect, and gave a smile of support. Though by the look on the other woman's face, Beth wondered if the "other Beth" had ever had the chance to try Elverquisst before. I'll have to show her the traditions that go with it, Beth decided with a nod. This tavern, however, was neither the time nor the place for such instruction...they had a job to do, though Beth found herself wondering if playing dice and cards were part of the job, or merely having fun. Cover, she corrected herself. When spying, it's called 'cover'.

The correct terminology having been established, Beth joined the others at the card table. She was in a good mood, established by both Bethani's new experience with elven wine and the proper response from the tavern keeper. There was apparently more to the man than appeared, which Beth determined to keep in mind for future dealings. She thought him mistaken about the song, though she said nothing about it, and merely shrugged the matter off. For now, there was more immediate business to attend.

She listened carefully to Erna's explanation of the game, studying the cards intently and nodding as her mind worked to parse the information and categorize the rules. She knew that strategy would be her weak point, but she could at least understand the rules. "I see," she said slowly, taking one of the cards dealt her and inspecting it closely. She carefully observed the artwork, finding it crude but charming, and was fascinated by the sturdy construction of the paper. Unfortunately, she inadvertently tipped her hand a bit as she revealed the card she inspected front and back by turning it over between her fingers. A few pointed looks and polite coughs brought her back to reality and she blushed, realizing her error and tucking the card away with the others. "So it's the total between my partner and me, then," she added hastily to cover her blunder. An inauspicious start to my career as a gambler, she noted wryly.

OOC
Actions & Rolls
 
Stat Block
 
Feats & Abilities
 
Equipment: Pouch, staff, small knife, book, robes, ink pen, bag of sand, parchment, backpack, spellbook, ink
__________________

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 02-13-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 5535
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 2,787
right-aligned image

Sarillar


Sarillar listened as the barkeep stammered out his answer. Undead...devils...it all sounded like a bunch of nonsense brought about by the fear of the unknown. Either way, he would find out first hand as soon as he left this rot infested city and reached Elturel.

Sarillar stared at the man for a moment when asked about his helmet. "No you haven't,"was all he offered before turning and heading toward the stairs. The barkeep had finally made himself useful and mentioned that their contact Tarina, was usually found on the second floor.

As he crested the stairs, he glanced at those on the second floor, attempting to
Dice Insight Check:
1d20+2 (5)+2 Total = 7
determine if their contact was indeed here. Regardless, he would give the dwarf the opportunity to engage with the spy, as requested.



 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:28 PM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is offline
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 4332
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,494


"I've always preferred to pull in tricks over piles, myself. But you do you." She smiles at Erna with a wink, followed by her hand rubbing the offending eye 'twitch'.

After Henrick orders a round of ale for the table, Bethani raises her other hand before the waiter can walk away. "Could I get some...." she pauses, realizing she doesn't recall what the drink is called, then continues on, as if having decided what she wants to order. "... some sweetbread and a bowl of soup. Thank you."

She then turns her attention back to Erna. "So what happens if two people play a knave?" she asks, looking at her own dealt cards, before looking toward Henrick then Bethrynna. Upon seeing the full-blood so enthralled with her cards that she was showing everyone what she had, Bethani frowns and pulls her own cards close to her chest. ~ No one suggest we redeal. she thinks at the others, not wanting to give up her cards.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 01-15-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2020, 12:38 AM
Anea's Avatar
Anea Anea is offline
Dwarven Master-at-Arms
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 3011
Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea
Posts: 2,272
The Grizzled Veteran
right-aligned image


The dwarf chuckled at Karra's retort and gestured to the gold now in her hand. "One could say I am a bit of a wild man when it comes to coin. Don't let my bad luck rub off on you for the rest of the night." He gave the woman a playful wink while he slid his hand behind himself and lightly tapped Relena's knee. That's our cue. Need to look upstairs. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the heavily armored human wandering up to the upper floor. Well bugger....

He dutifully waited until the lads returned with their drinks before proposing a toast. "Good fortunate to you my new friends, and may you throw your dice well. SKOL!" He clinked his mug with the others and made a good show of downing his mug. In truth he drank maybe a quarter before he stopped the flow into his mouth. Won't do well to get sloshed on the job. He held the cup to his lips until the others put theirs down and rose from his seat with a swift double tap of a ringed finger to the wooden table as his goodbye. "I will be back to claim my money later, eh?"

Unferth was trusting Relena would follow his lead upstairs not only for information gathering, but also to be a witness in case a certain warrior needed to be restrained from acting impulsively. Don't want a repeat of that fiasco three nights ago. He meandered up the walkway, blending in with the crowd as much as possible before he reached the upper landing just behind Sarillar. He waited until there was only his companions nearby before going into a hurried whisper. "Well Sarillar, don't know if you are that intuitive or just lucky. Our contact usually is gambling up here from the sounds of it. Be a good lad and keep watch while the quiet one and I do a bit of scouting, huh?" The dwarf didn't wait for a response and began to move as quietly as he could through the upper floor rooms,
Dice * Perception check:
d20 19
checking at keyholes for sounds in rooms beyond.

OOC
Perception check is for listening in through doors and looking inside if I hear no one. Also listening for rooms with a woman's voice.

Action:
Bonus Action:
Movement:
Free Action:
Persistent Effects:

 



__________________
"We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk do not flee from a fight. I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me one last time?"

Tomb of Annihilation | Labyrinth | Broken Isles | Descent into Avernus
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-02-2020
RPXP: 55325
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 17,206
Relena Goodknight
Human Acolyte Rogue
 
The game was quickly boring, easy to figure out and less interesting to watch than she had hoped. Alas, this was her game. When the tap came, she yawned and stretched, moaning like a cat. "Oh how droll. I think I should be on my way. Don't take too long, hm dearie?" Popping her shoulder loudly, she turns and begins walking, making sure the people at the table are watching more than not. There comes a toast shortly after, and Relena made her way to the bar, far from her companions, though she shoots a wink to Erna and company. Waiting for Unferth to finish, she elects to follow him, quickly up the stairs.

"Oh I think we can rule out intuition with that dress sense, Ferth, don't you?" She offers Sarillar a playful wink to try and head off confrontation, popping her knuckles again as she prepares to get more spry. Younger than either of them, it is nothing that she does so, and she smiles as she passes him. "You can stay out of trouble, hm? Try not to murder anyone. I hear the establishment frowns on that, as does the Captain." She does love ribbing him. More than she should, he is rather dangerous, after all.

And then, it is to work.

Her ear primed, she begins trying to pick up conversation through the less than adequate doors and walls, trying to discern where in this labyrinth their contact was. She does not hum, but she does not go out of her way to be quiet, either.
 
__________________
he/him\his
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Out of the Abyss
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:51 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 10499
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 2,005
Games among friends
left-aligned image

Yimuirs, a shy dark haired lad not yet past his teens, caught the slip of Bethrynna’s hand and only barely caught himself before letting out a small chuckle. With a grin, he took the order for the ale along with Bethani’s dinner before scurrying off and making his way back towards the bar where he relayed the order of ale to Alan and the other tavern waiter. Yimuir disappeared into the kitchen, the opening of the door once again bathing the room in warm aromas that drove away the underlying bouquet that seemed to grace every worthwhile tavern in Baldur’s Gate - blood, sweat, and spilled ale. The mug of ale appeared at there table mere moments later with the waiter, to his credit, taking care not to spill on any of the cards.

It was only a few minutes later that the boy emerged once more, carrying a tray with a wooden bowl perched precariously atop and a wooden board with a loaf of bread. He set them before Bethani, crowding the elf with the soup bowl, its creamy gold contents spilling over one side of it and dripping languidly to the table’s surface below. The bread, while likely a day or so old, was at least warm and thick syrup provided a sticky sheen to its surface.

“That’ll be four silver and three,” the boy said, barely waiting for the coin before hurrying back to the bar where Relena waited.

More than one head turned as the man with the mask pushed past, almost tripping up the waiter as he strode with purpose to the stairs. At the table, Karra and the men eagerly accepted Unferth’s proposal of a rematch before he chased after Sarillar.

“Good luck with that one,” Karra jested with a wink, though it was unsure whether she was referring to Tarina or the strange man that the dwarf had arrived with.

 

Tempting Fate
Relena squeezed past the two men on the narrow stairway, a task made more that much more of a challenge with each of them larger than her in one sense of the word or the other. Several rats scurried away from the group’s footsteps as they crested the top of the stairs and emerged into a wide room. The more intimate room was cluttered by two long tables and no fewer than half-a-dozen patrons with a hardened look that separated them from many of the more casual patrons on the first floor who had come to witness the the tavern’s namesake first-hand. Eager conversation was cut by uproarious laughter coming from several people either playing or watching what seemed to be a rather interesting game of dice. A woman in richly colored garments more akin to the fashions of a distant land sat with her back to the stairs, stacking coins before her while a punch-drunk shipwright with no eyebrows scowled back at her. Next to him, jovial, strong-jawed half-orc let out a bellowing laugh which earned him a scowl of his own. At the end of the table, a man in worn clothing sat with a small leather book, furiously crossing out and rewriting, his attention so focused on his work that he didn't even notice the newcomers.

Several others crowded another worn table nearby, deep in conversation, while a halfling woman wearing a colorful cape sat lounging in one of the two couches that sat pressed up against the white-washed walls of the upper level. Many thick, wooden doors, several with locks, led to various sleeping quarters or private rooms on each of the walls of the room.

One of the serving men came up the stairs, pushing through the small crowd gathered at the top of the stairs, forcing them to move aside just enough to let the man through as he delivered another mug of ale to man who looked to have already had more than his fair share of drink. From his position near the back wall, Unferth was able to hear some movement in the room behind him during a brief lull in the conversation.

A woman with short copper colored hair pulled out a coin purse and tossed it to the table closest to the stairs, grabbing the attention of the group that had just ended their game.

"Any room for another?" she asked with an all too-eager look in her eye.

The scowling man with no eyebrows grunted and pushed his chair back, moving the table itself a few inches in the process. She took his place at the table eagerly, and set about opening her coin purse. Her previous companion rolled her eyes and resumed rolling a silver coin between her knuckles as the thug came to sit nearby, mug in hand.

right-aligned image
She shot him a barbed look. "What do you want, Skrawl?" she asked as he plopped down, his chin resting on his fist. He didn't answer, his attention instead drawn to the curious group gathered atop the stairs.

"Hey, Tareeena," he half-shouted, half-slurred, "fresh meat." He bared yellowing teeth in something that could possibly have passed for a smile. "When you's done with Rahima maybe you can lighten their purses as well," he taunted, his mood lightened at the thought of others being on the other side of Tarina's well-known luck.

The woman closest to the group turned, her gaze lingering for a moment on each of them, noticing their own attention on her, before her own smile lit up her face. She turned back to the table and shot back at Skrawldar. "Once I'm done with them I'll send them your way so they can earn it all back," she taunted. Both tables erupted in laughter and the drunk man's face and ears reddened. Even the stern looking woman sitting beside him cracked a smile at his expense.

"Actually," she said as the laughter died down, "I think it's about time I take a break." She tucked her bag of coin and another of dice into a pocket of her flowing clothes where they disappeared as if they never existed. Rahima and the half-orc looked disappointed, but moved to the other table, apparently more than willing to take advantage of Skrawldar's current intoxication. Coins clinked to the table and another bag of dice were produced, leaving Tarina almost alone at the table. She looked back over her shoulder and nodded so slightly that it was barely noticeable, inviting the others to sit down at the table.

The last man at the table, still scribbling away, finally caught a look from Tarina and grumbled as he gathered his papers, moving to a nearby couch. Noticing Sarillar for the first time, the playwright moved warily around him, careful to avoid the intimidating man who so carefully hid his face.

"I'm not sure that you could be any more conspicuous if you tried," she whispered, almost hissing though her mouth remained in a tight smile, "and that's saying something in this damned city. I only know two reasons that a group like you would be seeking me out, and it's too early for the other. That leaves the good captain." She glanced around inconspicuously, making sure that everyone else was otherwise preoccupied. "When you see him, let him know that our current association is subject to change, especially if he keeps sending the likes of you after me. If he wants me, he knows damned well how to contact me. I don't need half of a mummer's troupe in full costume to escort me." Out of the corner of her eye, Relena caught a subtle flick of Relena's wrist that brought a dagger falling from somewhere within her sleeve down into her hand which she moved to sit in her lap.


 



 
__________________
Whether we know each other or not, if you are going through a tough time, need someone to vent or talk to, or have something amazing to share, please feel free to message me.
We're all in this together <3

Last edited by DaysUntold; 01-16-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 AM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is offline
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-01-2020
RPXP: 14559
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,263
a game of chance
right-aligned image
Erna Luckschild
Half-orc Cleric of Tymora (Life Domain)

 


Erna picks up her cards and sorts them in her hand. "The last Jack to be played, wins. Always a little risky to throw down a Jack. But exciting, too!"

Henrick chuckles, shaking his head. He plays a 4 of Nooses.

Erna keeps on talking. "Henrick's chuckling because he likes to play the knaves early. Draw everyone out. I like to save them until later. But he's the better player I suppose, I should probably learn from him." She tugs a Knave of Leafs from her hand and tosses it onto the pile, smiling a toothy smile.

"Now, if you've got a noose in your hand, you have to play it. Or a knave, either way. If you can't play a knave, though, I'd recommend you play your lowest noose. That way you'll have your better cards available when there's nobody hitting you with a whiskeyjack!"

She taps her cards into a pile, then fans them back out again. Her ale remains untouched.

"So play continues around the table. Bethani, you should go next. And Bethrynna, remember that if I'm taking the trick, you can save your best cards for later in the game! Of course if Bethani plays a knave, we're going to lose it, so use your best judgement!"

Now she reaches for the ale. "Ooh, the amber. Thank you, Henrick!"

"I'm sure I'll win it back," Henrick says with a grin. "A silver a card?"

"Oh! The betting, I forgot about the betting! When you're done, you count up the cards. Whichever team has the most, wins. The losing team each pays one of the winners a silver for each card more. So if they get 32 cards and we get 20, we'd have to pay in 12 silver each, and they'd win 12 silver each. If you're bad at the game it can get expensive.

"Also," she adds, "if you take a trick, then you lead the next trick. Henrick started off just because we said so. But usually whoever has the 2 of Nooses leads off."

__________________
he/him/his — DM Westport — Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-18-2020, 02:19 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 5535
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 2,787
right-aligned image

Sarillar


Sarillar watched the woman disperse with the others at her table with casual efficiency, clearly one that is skilled at subterfuge. He approached when she inclined her head. "Heh", he laughed to himself when she produced a dagger to keep in her lap, likely to make herself feel more comfortable.

"I doubt that would matter much if it came down to it, but at least you are no fool", he said, hand still resting on the hilt of his sword.

Sarillar's mind reached out then, connecting with Tarina's, his voice filled her mind with his words.





 
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-22-2020, 05:00 PM
Anea's Avatar
Anea Anea is offline
Dwarven Master-at-Arms
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 3011
Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea
Posts: 2,272
The Grizzled Veteran
right-aligned image


The warlock turned to Relena and raised an eyebrow at her....pet name he guessed, for him. "Unferth is fine, please." He kept his voice to a whisper so as to not draw any attention to themselves, but it seems he and his companions were going to fail miserably in that regard. Blast it.....

The dwarf was a bit taken aback by the abrupt turn of events with all eyes on the second floor fixated squarely on the three of them. He kept his poker face on through the quick exchange, pulled out a cigar, and sauntered over to the table once the contact nodded to them. Unferth sliced off the tip of the stogie while Tarina began to admonish them for standing out. Wouldn't have been so bad if the walking gargoyle hadn't trudged up the stairs like he was a golem... He leaned forward and lit the cigar using the candle light, drawing a current of air through the rolled leaves to get the combustion started before letting loose a short puff of smoke off to the side of the table.

Sarillar interjected before he could speak, so Unferth decided he needed to match his tone to Tarina's when he did so. "Forgive my companion's.....rigidity. It seems he has no concern over optics, decorum, or instruction so we must blunder through social interactions with him regardless of consequences. But perhaps now that we have found you my friend, he could give us some space?" He looked to the human with the last few words and a raised eyebrow, about as polite he felt he could muster in requesting the man go before attracting more attention to themselves. The dwarf waited a moment before continuing on, regardless if Sarillar left or not.

"Now now, slow down missus. No need to start pointing fingers and being hasty. If the Captain knows how to properly contact you, then why did he direct us to meet you here? Seems to me that if you worried about your situation, perhaps you should have selected a different place to meet than the where you conduct your business." His voice did not change, but the contempt for her feelings dripped from every word. Unferth let the silence hang in the air a moment longer, keeping his eyes locked to Tarina's to reinforce his meaning. The dwarf brought the cigar up to his mouth for a long draw before he continued in a much more pleasant tone. "Now that rocky start is behind us, perhaps we could get down to business. I see chances to earn a lot of coin in your future," his eyes shifted to the drunkard and gambling addict at the other table before returning to the woman, "so I would rather get out of your hair as soon as possible."

He took another slow drag from his stogie before leaning in sideways to the table, slight smile at the corners of his mouth. "I prefer as complete a picture as possible of the situation, so leave no detail out no matter how small."

OOC
Action:
Bonus Action:
Movement:
Free Action:
Persistent Effects:

 



__________________
"We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk do not flee from a fight. I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me one last time?"

Tomb of Annihilation | Labyrinth | Broken Isles | Descent into Avernus
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:08 AM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is offline
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 4332
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,494


Bethani had just dipped a crust of her bread into the soup and was about to take a bite, when she looks over her cards at her partner, a stunned look in her eyes. "Did you just..." she pauses a moment, as if taking it in. "I'm Bethani." she then points to the Golden Elf, Henrick's partner. "She's Bethrynna." she then takes a careful bite of her bread, getting a little soup dribbling off her lip and down her chin.

As she chews, something else catches her attention. She tries
Dice Deception:
1d20 5
not to be obvious as she watches the other three head up to the second floor.

WhiskeyJack
HandHenrickErnaBethrynnaBethaniWho's?
014 NoosesKn Leafs   
02     
03     
04     
05     
06     
07     
08     
09     
10     
11     
12     
13     


 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 01-24-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:54 PM
The Rat Queen's Avatar
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen is offline
The Archfriend.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-03-2020
RPXP: 10199
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Posts: 4,254
Radiant
right-aligned image
Bethrynna had blinked when Erna bade Bethani go next. How interesting, she thought as she scanned the pattern of seated players. So we don't go clockwise, as might normally be expected, but rather a quarter-circumference radial bisection before reversing the flow of game play, at which point it obviously bisects once again after a quarter-circumference. Unless the point of origin also rotates, in which case...

At that point, Bethani spoke up, mentioning the obvious error...a simple name-switch. Oh... thought Bethrynna, slightly deflated. For a moment, the game had gone from interesting to fascinating, but the name-recognition-deficient half-orc had simply mixed the names up. As her brain downshifted with a near-audible grinding noise, she had to look back down at her cards to remind herself of her hand. She took a very slight sip of Elverquisst, just moistening her lips with the potent liquid. It was enough to add a touch of color to her cheeks and brighten her eyes a touch.

Glancing at the cards face-up on the table and chewing her lip in decision, she laid down a Six of Nooses, leaving the knave as the reigning card. Bethrynna cast a quick glance at the others to make sure she was doing it right.

OOC
Actions & Rolls
 
Stat Block
 
Feats & Abilities
 
Equipment: Pouch, staff, small knife, book, robes, ink pen, bag of sand, parchment, backpack, spellbook, ink
__________________

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 02-13-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-02-2020
RPXP: 55325
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 17,206
Relena Goodknight
Human Acolyte Rogue
 
It doesn't take much, no matter how one chooses to slice it.

"Oh, hosh and bother, monosyllabic names work best in tight spaces. But if you insist, I can spare you an Un to match your Ferth. Still flows better than Sa-rill-ar. What would I even do with that many consonants? Sar? Rill? Lar? Rilly. Hm. Sounds like a suicide note if ever I wrote one." And as they got to work, it quickly became clear that stealth was not the game of the day, and just as well too. Relena has little patience for it and little skill in heels, and she loves her heels. Her rapier at her side, she felt little need to go for, already knowing she is more fleet than either fo her companions and likely most of the people here.

Except, perhaps, Tarina. Canny and quick, she suspects.

Unferth once again takes the lead. "The thing about Sarillar is that he hasn't figured out how to do things without his sword. Sometimes a dance requires more nimble fingers. You'd know about that too, I would imagine. A keen mind, faster than a blade, with the precision of the Guild, hm? Or are we not allowed to talk about the Guild here? I forget how decorum works the longer I am in proximity to our foreign friend. And make no mistake: he is foreign. I know that's not popular, but you warm up to his faceless charm eventually." No you don't.

Unferth cuts through the decorum and offers simple terms, and Relena sees good use for them. Offering a reassuring grin, she looks around, getting a feel for the place. It might be accommodating if it were filled with more accommodating people. As Unferth tears into his cigar, Relena holds her breath as best she can, breathing slowly through her nose and exhaling through her mouth, hoping to filter some of the taste. She has no mind for the stuff, and less lung space.

"Let us help you help you, dear. May I call you dear? If not, apologies, I'm discovering that names do not go as far as I should like. You seem on edge. Nervous. We all are. Look at the state of Baldur's Gate, in the heart of a refugee crisis for gods know what reason, the Lady's Luck giving us the best we can hope for. Yet you look like you could use some luck, and as Unferth said, some of Waukeen's business blessing. So, all that in mind: presume we are sent by the gods. Which gods, you may ask? Why, who do you prefer? Umberlee? Ilmater? Mask? Talona? Who do you prefer? You look a woman in Malar's gaze, if you understand my meaning. Let us be the gentle glade of Mieliekki, and regale us with what you will. You can trust Unferth, and because you can trust Unferth, you can trust me. Because you can trust us, you can trust Sarillar. He has Tempus' arm and the resilience of Gond." And the social graces of Jubilex.

"Religious imagery aside, lay on, dear, lay on. We're here to help."
 
__________________
he/him\his
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Out of the Abyss
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands

Last edited by Sassafrass; 01-26-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB