RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 02:08 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
I just had to share something with you guys.

I was in the shower thinking through an RP snippet for my character application - I do some of my best thinking in the shower.

I came up with this scenario where Lerissa was thinking about this new type of music. She had the music, but she knew she needed better lyrics. She'd seen a copy of Annabelle's "Anarchist-Alchemist" and knew that it was exactly the sort of thing she needed. Anyway, she got Jack or Tulin (or both) to persuade Annabelle to collaborate with her.

So, in my mind, I'm working this out. Lerissa playing a stringed instrument. Annabelle playing percussion of some sort, and laying down her lyrics like a 1950s beat poet. And for the chorus we'd do some sort of call-response thing (Lerissa on the call, Annabelle on the response).

And then, in a moment of inspiration insanity, I understood exactly what this would sound like.

The question is, is Taro Town ready for Alternative Rock?

Kept me amused for a couple of hours.

Last edited by telcontar; 01-21-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1002
Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam
Application

Cadmun Ashward

Race: Human (Variant)| Class: Glorified Librarian...and eventually Wizard (Abjuration) | Gender: Male
Background: Diviner's Apprentice

Appearance and Clothing

Cadmun presents a fairly fastidious appearance. Dark hair is kept short and neat, bordering a set of pale blue eyes usually obscured behind a pair of reading glasses. Similarly well-groomed is a sad bit of scruff on the man’s chin...an attempt at growing a beard that seems to be going nowhere.

For his wardrobe? Cadmun tends to dress nicely, but not obsequiously, his clothing clean and well-made, but with little that would make him stand out in a crowd.

Personal History

For as long as Cadmun has been able to walk steadily, he has labored for his father, the Taro's own town diviner, the Foreseer; fetching supplies, book-keeping, managing the various petitions asking for the Foreseer’s assistance, and other such tasks. It was a full-time job by the time he hit adolescence.

And as Cadmun grew so too did the weight of his responsibilities. By age sixteen, he pretty much had the run of the library (much to the relief of its patrons). By seventeen, he was beginning to take his first steps into studying true magic.

All the while as his duties became more numerous so too did his doubts and uncertainties. A hidden wish to perhaps become something more than merely the Foreseer's adequate inheritor. And so duty and loyalty wage a quiet war with desire within the young apprentice.

Personality And Other Quirks

Cadmun is very much unlike his more prickly father, being quite polite and helpful...if a bit on the quiet side. Unfortunately this has the side effect of also making him somewhat passive; Cadmun tends to go with the past of least resistance in most situations (within reason).

With his work leaving him with precious little free time, Cadmun prefers to spend it in the relative quiet of the Archive. He's an avid reader, and none too picky on the subject (though he tends to prefer nonfiction, he finds history in all it's forms fascinating). Indeed, he’s almost prideful in just how much of his father’s collection he’s familiar with.

As mentioned above, he hasn’t had much experience in social encounters outside of acting as a gopher for his father or running the library. This combined with his father’s position and reputation have made him somewhat...awkward in more casual situations. Extended conversations tend to be met with a barrage of nods and ‘mmm-hmms’s.

People of Note

1)Mathias Ashward-The Foreseer himself. For years Cadmun’s father has been a (somewhat colorful) part of Taro’s social fabric and a useful asset to it’s people as both a skilled wizard and the town diviner...despite also having a reputation as an arrogant know-it-all of know-it-alls. And for all those years has Cadmun has lived in his considerable shadow; as his son, as his assistant, and eventually as his apprentice. As far as Mathias is concerned he already has Cadmun's life mapped out for him and will brook no arguments otherwise; in his never-so-humble opinion the sooner Cadmun accepts his lot in life the better off he'll be.

2)Laedra Ashward-Of his mother, Cadmun knows very little beyond that she was a native of Taro and the reason his father resides there. As far as he’s been able to patch together she was an adventurer of some note who disappeared not long after his birth. Part of him wants to unravel her fate...but another part wonders if he’s ready to accept what might prove an unpleasant truth.

3)Orvin Harle-A portly, balding half-orc who runs a grocery dealing in both green produce and dry goods...and other, stranger things. Rumored to be a retired alchemist, Orvin's always friendly, always somehow able to fullfill even the strangest of of the Foreseer's commissions, and sometimes even lends a sympathetic ear on the rare times Cadmun has felt the need to vent about his overbearing father.

4)The Library-Not really a person but a large part of Cadmun’s life. Not long after he arrived Mathias opened up a large part of his archives to the public (to an extent; anything dangerous or magical he keeps locked away in his own private collection), officially to ‘empower others with the knowledge to seek their own truths’...which was a fancy way of saying ‘keeping the hoi polloi out of his hair while he deals with more pressing issues’. Officially titled as the Foreseer's Archives, but known more commonly by the townsfolk simply as the Library, it's a useful if somewhat esoteric collection journals, treatises, manuscripts, maps, and (of course) books covering a wide variety of topics. The maintenance and organization of it's contents takes up much of Cadmun’s day, not that he's complaining.

Character Links

Lerissa the Garrulous- He's never met Lerissa nor has he ever been to any of her performances. But he has heard her story. He wonders if even the Foreseer could undo what happened to her mother.

Wuuni- He remembered when the bugbear had first entered the Library, accompanied by her father. As unusual a sight as it was, Cadmun nevertheless endeavored to be as helpful as he could towards the new arrivals. They’re not particularly close, but Cadmun’s always willing to help anyone looking to expand their horizons with a good book.

Annabelle Rocksong- Of the rebellious dwarf he knew very little beyond her reputation. Though it is indeed quite the reputation. ...If he knew more he might be surprised at what they have in common. As it stands now he mostly just tries to stay out of her way.

Yuki- Cadmun empathizes greatly with the little kenku, both as a fellow scholar and as another unfortunate soul straining against the yoke of an overzealous parent. Many a time Cadmun ‘looked the other way’ while Yuki snuck into the library to get away from his mother.

Ander Rallins- Cadmun had been eager to help when when Anders came to him seeking answers about his newfound power. While he was unable to discover anything useful, they nevertheless kept in contact with Cadmun keeping an eye out for any new leads.

Ray Silverwind and Arjhan Fireborn- Nobody can ever claim Taro Town as lacking in diversity. The tabaxi and the fiery-headed sorcerer both are frequent visitors to the Archives and Cadmun has assisted them in tracking down it’s more...esoteric materials more than a few times. Theirs is a sort of professional relationship.

Friar Bertram Bellows- The kindly Friar has been a visitor to the Archives many a time...usually to drop off donations of food or other sundries or to inquire on Cadmun’s or sometimes (shockingly) the Foreseer’s health. For his part Cadmun has a quiet respect for what the man and his family have done and continue to do for the town.

Tulin Fairfield- Cadmun has only had a few, if polite, interactions with the curate. Usually either due to the former gathering information for one of the Foreseer's seasonal forecasts or the latter looking into some religious texts.

Trevor Silverwind- An artist of some sort or so Cadmun assumes. He’s never seen Mr. Silverwind’s works himself but then again he doesn’t get out much.

Bew- ...If he ever finds out who keeps putting these book away with the wrong side facing outwards rest assured he'll be giving them a very stern lecture.

Orryn Timbers- Friends practically since the day they've first met (a rarity for poor Cadmun), springing from a shared love of literature and lore. Whenever Cadmun has the unspeakable luxury of free time, he's usually spending it with Orryn; sharing stories, books, and sometimes even ideas.

Rivezran Tobiadreus- Taro Town's very own Enumerator. The Foreseer's work with the town hall quickly lead to Cadmun and Rivezran becoming acquainted, where, like Orryn, their shared interests quickly spawned a close friendship.

Jack Fletcher- Cadmun doesn't know much about Jack outside the fact he's fairly close to Orryn and his family and he's...something of a rogue. ...He gets the impression sometimes that Jack's likewise none too impressed with him.

Lumin- He only has a passing familiarity with Lumin. ...He was rather left with the impression that the Aasimar didn't much care for him, if not outright disliked him.

Gavryn H’olvidian- Cadmun appreciates the cook's kindness and tries to reciprocate whenever he's able. Even he knows better than to get on the bad side of a cook...

Nevivakri Tarikosh- When he first heard about Nevivakri he was eager to compare notes, having never of this 'astrologian' occupation before. ...Unfortunately she didn't seem interested.

Collaberation-Cadmun, Rivezran, and Orryn

Last edited by Citizen Sam; 01-27-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Clarification and typo-wrangling
Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7031
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post

I was in the shower thinking through an RP snippet for my character application - I do some of my best thinking in the shower.

I came up with this scenario where Lerissa was thinking about this new type of music. She had the music, but she knew she needed better lyrics. She'd seen a copy of Annabelle's "Anarchist-Alchemist" and knew that it was exactly the sort of thing she needed. Anyway, she got Jack or Tulin (or both) to persuade Annabelle to collaborate with her.

So, in my mind, I'm working this out. Lerissa playing a stringed instrument. Annabelle playing percussion of some sort, and laying down her lyrics like a 1950s beat poet. And for the chorus we'd do some sort of call-response thing (Lerissa on the call, Annabelle on the response).

And then, in a moment of inspiration insanity, I understood exactly what this would sound like.

I say we roleplay it out

On that note I’m going to try and write up bits of roleplay for Jack with as many characters as I can manage.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 406
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:

I have a weird mental Image of Bertram as your roadie!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1736
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
Orryn Timbers
Name: Orryn Timbers
Class: Artificer (Battlesmith)
Race: Gnome
Background: Apprentice Smith
Personality
Orryn feels he has something to prove. He's small and not particularly tough, but he's sure that one day, one day soon, he can fulfil his dream of becoming a mighty knight. Whilst generally cheerful and friendly Orryn has a lot of pride, and if he feels he is being mocked, he will react strongly. He loves sharing the interesting things he has made in his spare time at the smithy and has a great interest in the creative pursuits of other people. He will happily listen to anyone talk for hours about making just about anything.
In keeping with his desire to one day be a knight, Orryn likes to mind his manners. He also attempts to follow a code of chivalry. He interprets the tenets of the code that he wrote down from his mother's adventure stories in his own way, but will not break it if he can help it. Orryn has been teased and mocked for these ideals, but in accordance with his tenets, he will only get into a fight if someone else starts it. Of course, that has happened more often than he would care to admit.
Orryn's Code
  • To serve the liege lord in valour and faith
  • To protect the weak and defenceless
  • To give succour to widows and orphans
  • To refrain from the wanton giving of offence
  • To live by honour and for glory
  • To despise pecuniary reward
  • To fight for the welfare of all
  • To obey those placed in authority
  • To guard the honour of fellow knights
  • To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit
  • At all times to speak the truth
  • To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun
  • To respect the honour of women
  • Never to refuse a challenge from an equal
  • Never to turn the back upon a foe
Backstory: Orryn grew up on tales of adventure told by his mother and lessons in crafting and studiousness from his father. He took both on board, his heart yearning to be a mighty knight, but his head (and his stomach) focussing on more mundane matters. At the age of twelve, he began his apprenticeship at the smithy and has been a diligent student. The only complaint that the smith has about Orryn is the boy's flights of fancy when allowed to craft something of his own devising.
Appearance: On the tall side, at 3' 10", Orryn has always been proud of his stature and bearing. He keeps himself erect and proper in his motions at all times. He can typically be found wearing his smithing overall and goggles, as when he isn't busy at the forge he is usually planning to be very shortly. His hair is a shock of unruly blue-black, though whether this is natural or just soot-stained is hard to tell. When his goggles are off, his eyes are a sparkling blue that light up when he smiles.
[B]Three NPCs:
Lorem, the Smith
Lorem is, or was, an adventurous dwarf. His exploits are legends around town, told in taverns and between friends. The old dwarf himself, though, rarely speaks of his younger days. Now, in his later years, Lorem has settled down as the town smith. He looks every bit the part, with his powerful build and thick, white bead, only slightly singed at the edges and the items he creates, empowered by his faith, are second to none.
The tale least told of Lorem is the saddest of them, for it is the adventure he missed. Not long after he hung up his axe in favour of his hammer his former comrades, the Silver Raptors headed out on an expedition as they had so many times before. When they returned, half of them were dead and the rest had taken grievous wounds both emotional and physical. Lorem blames himself for this, as he is sure, had he been there he could have saved them from tragedy.
Over the years Lorem has come to see many of the young folk of the town as his charges. He is protective of them, though also stern. Currently, he has taken a particular interest in Orryn, Wuumi and Lumin. The first for his potential as a smith, the second for her diligence and interest in the work and the third, mostly, to keep him out of trouble.
Lorem knows of Orryn's desire for adventure and his longing to follow in his mother's footsteps. He hopes that the boy stays home and works the forge, but nevertheless is subtly teaching him about adventuring through life lessons. The last thing Lorem wants is to see Orryn and the other youngsters suffer the same way their parents had.
Lilli Timbers, Orryn's Mother
Before she was a Timbers Lilli was a Reizen, a family of Gnomes known for their adventurous nature and outgoing personality. As a relative youngster, she joined the Silver Raptors, along with Lorem and several other adventurers from the town. Lilli acted as the group's scout, ranging ahead and keeping a weather eye out for ambushes and traps. Although the youngest of the group and prone to chatty outbursts in camp she took her role very seriously and was proud of keeping her friends safe.
After many successful adventures there came a day when Lilli failed in her duties, or so she believes, leading to the devastating attack on the Raptors that broke the party. She returned home, alive, but a little broken inside. At first, she would only talk to Lorem, who was, himself, having trouble dealing with the tragedy, but slowly she began to open up to Kellen (Orryn's adoptive father) as he assisted in nursing her back to health. Over the next two years as she recovered the chemist and the adventurer slowly, cautiously fell in love.
For Lilli falling for Kellen was a process of healing and of mourning, her lover Warryn (Orryn's biological father) had died in the attack on the Raptors and, at first, her feelings for Kellen felt like a betrayal. Over time though, when he didn't press his advances and helped her and the young Orryn through the most difficult period of their lives that reticence melted away like ice before the summer sun.
Lilli no longer has any need to work, with her money from her adventuring days and Kellen's income as a Chemist covering all her daily needs. She spends her time writing about the adventures of the Silver Raptors and memorialising those who died in tales of glory. She tells the stories to Orryn, to let him know his father and her friends. She tells him that in story and in memory the dead live and reach out to the present to gift them with wisdom. It is not uncommon to see Lilli at the library, borrowing or returning a book, occasionally adding one of her own to the collection.
For Kellen, Orryn was another joy that crept into his life that he didn't see coming. The boy had an insatiable appetite for learning, one that Kellen was very well placed to meet. He has spent hours with his stepson over the years teaching him the secrets of scientific wonders and encouraging the boy's academic pursuits. In his heart, Kellen knows that Orryn is destined for a life of adventure like his mother, but he loves the boy and secretly hopes that he takes to a life of academia at home instead.
Kellen Timbers, Orryn's (Adoptive) Father
Kellen always had an aptitude for alchemy and chemistry. From a young age he would play with the chemicals and components he found around his father's workshop and by the time Lilli was joining the Raptors, Kellen was starting his apprenticeship. A quiet and insular boy Kellen didn't have very many friends when he was younger, but those he did he held onto tightly and would do anything for. It took Kellen a few years to finish his apprenticeship and, whilst working hard at it he made friends with a doctor who was rising in notoriety in the town, Dr. Mouri Vaalta.
Once done with his apprenticeship Kellen began working with Dr. Vaalta regularly, experimenting with and producing medicines for her to supply to the patients under her care. He found that the application of his scientific training to the healing arts suited him endlessly and soon began assisting with patient care. This was how he met Lilli. For Kellen she was like a bolt from the heavens. Beautiful, smart and well travelled she completely swept the young chemist off his feet.
Character Link
Jack
Orryn entered Samsara's Lift with a wide-eyed look, gazing around the establishment, it wasn't a place the young gnome frequented. Under his arm, he carried several steel rods, with strangely shaped tips. Orryn had his goggles resting back on his messy hair and a wide smile plastered on his face. He asked the first person he saw, a patron who had no idea where to find the cook "Excuse me." the gnome said loudly enough for anyone nearby to hear "Excuse me, I've got these firelighters for the cook, do you know where they are?"
Hearing the raised slightly high pitched voice echoing through the tavern, Jack poked his head out from the corner of the room where he had been discretely sharing a bottle of wine with one of the tavern's younger and of course female patrons. " Sorry, Sophia, I need to take care of this... hold that thought will you..." Jack declared, flashing a quick smile before quickly retreating and seeking the source of the voice.
" Orryn you, little scamp! What are you doing here? Don't tell you finally decided to drop the apron and have some fun?" the young rogue declared with a good-natured grin as idly noted the goggles still resting upon the gnomes head. " What can I get you? A few shots of crystal dragon whiskey? A pitcher of obsidian sunrise or maybe a tankard of Witch's delight?" Jack then rattled off as he attempted to guide the young smith towards the bar.
"No, no, thank you. Very kind, but I'm here on business." the gnome smiles politely as he declines the offer " I've brought over these firelighters for the cook." he pulls one of the metal staves from the bundle, showing Jack the button on the end. "You just press here, and fire comes out of the other end, just enough to light a blaze, you understand." he spins the rod around, showing Jack the other end "You see the black stuff in there, that;s a mix I've been working on when my father and Yuki let me into the chemistry lab. These only work once, then they need to be refilled, but I think this is enough for a week or so." he says proudly. Shaking his head, he adds "The trick was stopping them from producing too much fire and exploding, I nearly lost my hair." he looks up at Jack, as though just realising he was in a conversation with someone else instead of himself "Oh, do you know where I should leave them?"
Jack smiled politely when Orryn refused the offer of a drink, but he listened intently to what the young gnome had to say. While Jack was certainly no alchemist, he could see the usefulness of an item that could create fire at the touch of a button, and already a few possibilities were flittering through the young half-elf's head.
" Sorry Orryn the cooks at the market picking up a few ingredients..." Jack apologised " Why don't you take a seat and have a drink while you wait..." Jack then suggested nodding towards a stool at the bar. Jack then reached forwards and with nimble fingers plucked up one of the staves. Spinning the stave around, Jack then carefully inspected it before pointing one end towards a large cosy fireplace that stood to one side of the inn. Before Orryn could object Jack pressed the button and a small burst of flame shot out of one end and flew into the fireplace. " Not bad but could do with a bit more oomph..." Jack commented as he spun the stave once again. " I mean, what's that little thing going to do for a big log or damp wood?" Jack then questioned.
Orryn took the seat and the offered drink, taking a sip and wrinkling his nose as he pondered Jack's question. "Well I could supe it up a little, but there's always a small chance it would explode instead of light the fire." he says, putting the lighters down on the counter and prodding at one of them [SAY[If I shorten the tube and pack in a little more powder, then we would get a much bigger flame.[/SAY] his eyes start to twinkle as he gets ideas "But I think if we change the shape, we could get it to really have some oomph, though if the end got covered accidentally, it might explode." he looks at Jack excitedly. "You know when I was designing these, I had a few explode, but depending on the mix they were different colours. I think maybe we could make different coloured flames with different ingredients." waving at the drink, he has and the others around the bar he adds "And you might have just the things." he stops himself suddenly with a shake of his head "That would probably just cause trouble though, no one needs coloured flames, sorry."
Jack smirked as Orryn took a seat, while it was true that the cook was in the market what Jack ‘forgot' to mention was that there were more cooks and at least one of them would be in the kitchen at this very moment. Popping behind the bar Jack then slid over a dark blue drink in a small glass. " Good stuff, huh..." Jack then commented as he saw the gnome wrinkle his nose before filling a glass for himself and taking a sip.
Jack then listened to Orryn talk at some point the young rogue had picked up an empty tankard and begun to wipe it with a cloth as he listened. " You know exploding fire sticks could actually be rather useful..." Jack commented idly. " Obviously you'd need to set up some sort of delay or a way to set them off at range so you don't end up blowing your own hand off..." Jack commented " But they could be useful for adventuring either as a deterrent or a weapon, hell make them strong enough and we could even use them for mining or a way to get through locked doors.." Jack continued. " And as for the coloured ones I'm sure you could put on a show with them or even use them for signalling at a distance. A different colour flame could mean a different message..." Jack thought out loud. " Hypothetically speaking, if you were to ever make exploding fire sticks, I'm sure I could help you sell 'em..." Jack then declared.
"Really? You think so?" said Orryn excitedly fishing a pencil out of his pocket "Would something like this be what you were looking for?" he starts sketching on the back of beermats, showing plans for a firework, a tiny explosive that could fit in a small lock, and a much bigger one that would no doubt do quite a bit of damage. "Which do you think is the best idea, Jack?" the gnome asked excitedly "I can start work right away!"
Jack leant over the bar and glanced at the gnome's sketches. A grin slowly spread across the young rogues face as he considered just what he could use such devices for. " Let's talk, Orryn, let's talk..." Jack then declared with a familiar twinkle of mischief in his eye.
Wuuni
Orryn wiped the sweat from his brow and put down the hammer. Cocking his head to one side, then the other he chewed on his lip, considering. "I could make a nice Nagel for this, not just the normal straight piece." He carefully turns the newly forged messer blade over with his tongs, inspecting it for flaws "I think that's the best one I've done yet." he muses to himself out loud, then looking away from his work he sees Wuuni not far away and calls out to her "Hey, Wuuni! You remember who I was making this for?" he waves at the rapidly cooling metal "It's a nice one, and I can't for the life of me remember!"
Wuuni had just finished cleaning out the forge pot and was about to give Tom's armour vice another half-turn when the gnome called out to her. Unlike Lumin, who was charged with odd jobs and given credit for his work ethic, Orryn was something entirely different. The tiny gnome never stopped talking--to others, to himself--and he was more of a perfectionist than anyone else Lorem had working at the anvil. (The fact that Lorem allowed the not-a-dwarf at the anvil at all was testament to his skill--or his potential.) However, what most caught Wuuni's interest was rarely the things Orryn was making but the way he made her feel. Unlike just about every teenager in Taro town, Orryn addressed Wuuni as if she weren't some hulking bugbear more than half his size. In fact, half the time, Wuuni wasn't even sure that Orryn noticed she was a bugbear at all.
"What's that, now?" she said, wiping sweat from her neck and wandering closer. "Ah. Right." The bugbear took in the new blade, noting the craftsmanship she was learning to recognise and gave her head a little shake. "It was that Turami. The, uh--Paladin? Fiero...err," Wuuni continued, stumbling back through her memory, "Piscar! Fiero Piscar, down by the fletcher's shop? He commissioned it for his son, Arturo. Cute kid. The blade's likely bigger than him, but you know how humans can be."
Wuuni cut herself off with a quick shrug, hunching her shoulders in and trying for a small, apologetic smile. "Nice work," said the bugbear, trying to fight through her embarrassment. "I mean, it's nice. Well done. Best yet, I think."
"Thank you, dear lady." Orryn grins at his friend and colleague "I am quite proud of it. If it's for Fiero, we should probably take it around when it's finished. I love to hear his stories when he's willing to tell them." casting his eye over the piece again he asks Wuuni "Do you think I should make a fancy Nagel for this? I'm thinking something a little broad, maybe a curve to sweep down and protect the back of the hand." he gestures with his hands, tracing the image from his mind in the air. "You have a good eye for metal now, I'd value your opinion." the gnome pushes back his goggles and beams at Wuuni, clearly excited by this idea, even if Lorem would not necessarily approve of deviating from the original design.
The bugbear leaned down some to get a better look at the metal, then squinted as if to imagine Orryn's improvement plans. It sounded good--something to protect little Arturo's hand--but wouldn't that hand grow? And wasn't the boy still small and barely learning? Even so, Fiero was a bit showy--did like having beautiful things--and the gnome really had grown in skill in the last year or so. Wuuni leaned back and pressed her lips together, the cool gold ring getting lost in some of her beard. "I'd be happy to take it to Fiero when you're through," she said as if she hadn't just had a whole conversation in her head about something else entirely. "I think Arturo's birthday is coming up."
Then, straightening to her full height and crossing her long arms, Wuuni smiled at the gnome and gave a shrug. "I think they'd appreciate the change, but I also think you should run it by Lorem. Sometimes, paying customers can be picky. Although, uh," and here Wuuni stumbled a bit, trying to think of the best way to say it, "I'll happily put in a good word for you! He loved what you did to that dagger last month. He'll probably love this, too."
"Thanks." says Orryn, flipping his goggles back into place. "I'll go and ask Lorem, this one won't explode, but after that firebolt incident, I don't want to overstep." the gnome hops down off the box he is standing on to work and wanders off in search of the forge master.
Ander
DThe morning was hotter than expected, and Ander was given a directive by Vanderbolt. "Go to Lorem and get a new axle, we'll be taking the wagon out tomorrow." All Ander could think of was. I hope that Orryn isn't the one making it, well....maybe he's learned.
As Ander trudged through the stamped dirt roads towards the smithy, he saw the plume of smoke lift into the air as he bellows were in use. The young man entered the shop and called out for assistance. "Hello! Lorem?!"
The heavyset dwarf with his thick white beard leaves the armour press he is inspecting, nodding to the hulking bugbear leaning over it and whispering something to her as he moves away. He strides purposefully across the floor of his shop, master of his domain and approaches Ander with a gruff nod "Good morning to you, lad, what can I be doing for you today?" he asks politely, rubbing soot onto his apron from his thick, calloused hands.
The young squire forgot to smile and said somewhat plainly. "I need a new axle for my wagon, here are the measurements." Ander laid a piece of parchment on the blacksmith's counter and waited for a response.
The dwarf looked over the parchment and grunted his approval. "Easy enough job, take it to Orryn over there, he should be finished with the sword he's working on now." Across the workshop, you can see Wuuni talking to Orryn, who is waving around what looks like a completed sword blade. A moment or two later, the halfling puts the weapon down and starts walking towards you.
Ander smiled and waved at Wuuni before he looked at Orryn. He kept a toothless smile and nodded his head at Lorem before he took the parchment over to Orryn. He hesitated and said somewhat sheepishly.
"Y...Lorem said that I should bring this to you. I...need a new axle for my wagon. Here're the measurements." Ander felt awkward at the situation. He had not received an apology from Orryn about the sword breaking, nor any payment back from what he understood. Nevertheless, Ander stood there and shot a toothless smile toward Wuuni once again.
Orryn hadn't spoken to Ander in a long time, he remembered the last time they spoke had been awkward and frosty. This was work, though, and work was work. Taking the paper, he looked it over, then his brow furrowed in confusion "This is a simple casting job. I'm happy to do it, but I'm surprised Lorem didn't give it Wuuni." he scratches his head and shrugs then has a bright idea, Ander is a warrior, who better to ask about the blade I'm working on he thinks to himself. "Say, Ander, you're a warrior, right? Would you give me your opinion on something? It's just over here." he tucks the axel specification into a pocket of his overall and waves the young knight to be to follow him back to the anvil.
Ander looked at Orryn then and Wuuni, who gave him a look of encouragement. He walked over and took up the blade. It felt incredible in the hand, Ander moved away to give himself some space. He tapped the pommel to test the flexibility then swung in the air to tell if he could hear the quiet song of the blade. His eyes were transfixed on the craftsmanship. Ander felt an involuntary look of enjoyment and shock wash over him. He was brought back into the moment and said quickly. "Uh...yeah, it looks pretty good, Orryn. Whoever gets it will surely be lucky." Ander nodded his head and waited for any response toward the length of time before the axel would be finished.
"Thanks!" says Orryn happily "So, what I was thinking was that I could upgrade the Nagel, make it into a loop and maybe add a curve to protect the back of the hand." he gestures around Ander's hands, showing where his thoughts are going "It's for Fiore's son, I think, so the little lad could use the extra protection. It's crucial that early blades are good, don't you think?" Orryn adds, the axel seemingly forgotten for the time being in his excitement over this more entertaining project.
Ander looked down, remembering the vicious bruise he received thanks to Orryn's blade. He handed back the sword and nodded. Before the young man took his leave, he said to Orryn. "Well, I'm sure Fiore will enjoy it. Could you give me an estimate as to when I can pick up the axle?" Ander's slightly sheepish personality had reached the surface once again. He did not hold eye contact with Orryn and waited for a response.
Crestfallen that the other boy seems disinterested in his innovation, Orryn sighs and fishes the paper back out of his pocket. Looking it over with a cursory glance, he answers "It should be ready by Three O'Clock." he shoves the paper back into his pocket, visibly disgruntled, but pulls himself together and adds politely "Thank you for your custom, I look forward to seeing you later."
With that, the two parted company on a rocky foundation. Ander felt as if Orryn was slighting him for being injured previously and left the blacksmith somewhat disheartened.
Yuki
Orryn's father worked as an associate of Yuuki's mentor and the two met and bonded over a love of science and adventure stories.
Cadmun and Rivezran
When Orryn arrived at the library after work, it was locked, but he could still see a small light coming from inside. Excited to see his friend Orryn quickly pulled out his picks and opened the door, not really considering that what he was doing might be seen as illegal. For an artificer such as himself, locks were really more suggestions, he could make one, and he could manipulate one just as easily.
Striding into the library, his shock of hair covered in soot and goggles pushed back onto his head; he looks around for Cadmun. The human is not readily apparent, so he simply follows the light and quickly finds himself standing in a room, looking at an unfamiliar figure. The small glowing device clutched in Orryn's hand suddenly feels inadequate as he steps into the room, forcing himself to approach the imposing intruder. "Hello, and who might you be?" he asks, keeping his tone steady and his voice strong, forgetting that he himself had just broken in.
Rivezran found himself lost in the peaceful silence of the after-hours library halls, entranced by one of the books on the history of Taro Town. That is until he heard an unsettling sound coming from the entrance - like someone uninvited was trying to pry their way inside. His ears didn't fail him this time, as when a figure emerged from the doorway, Rivezran recognized him as Orryn, the friendly - albeit quirky - gnome artificer. It was bold of the stranger to ask questions as an intruder, and the enumerator made that known through his own line of interrogation. "Orryn? A more appropriate question might be, 'what are YOU doing here?' Or perhaps, 'Why did you bypass the lock and trespass?' Surely you must have a good reason, as rumours of your character would suggest you lack malicious intent. Or are they just that - rumours?"
The apprentice was in the midst of ferrying a cumbersome stack of books when he heard the voices of his friends being...ahem...not-too-friendly towards each other. "Orryn? Is that you? Ah...a moment, please." Quickly he'd set the stack down on an oaken table nearby before hurrying over towards the pair.
The apprentice adjusted his glasses as he stepped onto the scene, looking a slight bit reproachful as he addressed the artisan "You should really knock next time." An apologetic aside was offered towards Rivezran. "He ah...tends to let himself in sometimes."
"I'm here to see Cadmun; he's my friend." returns Orryn, defiantly "I was bringing back this book he lent me and wanted to talk to him about my mother's new volume on the Silver Raptors." he smiles at Cadmun as the apprentice approaches, but continues talking to Riverzan "You seem to have me at a disadvantage. I don't know your name." he steps towards the newcomer, confident that if Cadmun likes him, he must be OK and extends his small hand, offering to shake. "Pleased to meet you." he adds cautiously, laying the book he is carrying down on the table with his other hand.
Rivezran noted that his intentions were innocent enough, but his execution definitely needed a little work from a legality perspective. As Cadmun seemed to know the tinkerer well enough already and was not alarmed, the clerk dropped his guard a bit and took the gnome's hand. "Rivezran - Taro Town's enumerator. It's been a while since we had crossed paths back when you filled out your census form upon arrival. It makes sense that you might not remember me. I know of you more through reputation." Releasing his grip, he turned to Cadmun while noting the sizable tower of literature he returned. "It almost seems silly to ask after seeing all of these, but did you manage to find any other volumes on prior inhabitants of Taros Town?"
Cadmun looked relieved as the two shook hands. "Excellent. And just leave your returns at the check-in desk Orryn, I'll put them away in the morning..." For his part the young apprentice briefly removed his reading glasses to clean them before gesturing towards the both of them to follow before making his way back towards his own pile of gathered literature. "Actually yes, I found a number of interesting works; including the journal of a bard that had traveled as far as across the ocean, to Telmor..."
Perking up at the mention of former residents, Orryn interrupts Cadmun as the librarian trails off. "When you mention former residents, would my father count?" he asks excitedly "Not Kellen, my other father Warryn, and perhaps the other members of the Raptors who died?" his voice has taken on an edge of passion Cadmun would recognise from previous discussions of this subject "If they do then my mother's books might be just what you are looking for! They tell of their exploits and heroics in incredible detail." the gnome looks to Cadmun gesturing at the shelves. "Where are you keeping the library copies? If you're not sure, I can run home and get ours!"
The enumerator's disposition lightened immensely at Orryn's shared interest in Taro Town's past. "That is a great find, Cadmun! No telling what kind of curiosities he found on such an adventure. Of course, we always have to take a bard's personal account with a grain of salt. 'Embellishments' and all that, you understand." He smiled at the librarian before addressing the gnome's energetic interjection. "They absolutely would count. A first-person account of your family histories inventive sides, as well as their accomplishments, would give fantastic insight into your people's culture."
Rivezran turned to Cadmun at his mention of running home to get their private copies and sparked an idea. "Why don't we tag along, Cadmun? I'll officially check out those books you gathered, we can lock this place up for real this time, and get a glimpse at some genuine first editions - if you'll have us, Orryn?"
"Certainly, come with me!" Orryn says, hopping with enthusiasm "Mum will still be awake, and she'll be glad to tell you some stories personally." heading out the door, Orryn waits for Cadmun to lock up before leading the two through the streets. On the way, he mentions that Lorem might know something too, forgetting that the dwarf really didn't like to talk about those stories.
Cadmun brightened up at that. "I believe that sounds quite amenable. Ah, just a moment..." Despite his own excitement Cadmun was quite thorough in making sure the Archives were properly secured before joining the Orryn and Rivezran out front. Still it wouldn't be too long. "Well then, I believe Orryn can lead the way...?"

Last edited by Drager; 01-27-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:58 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1697
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Cheers, folks: I cleaned up Wuuni's application a little, and I think I hit on all the characters from the original list. If there's something you want me to change, expand, or delete, just let me know!

Also, I legit laughed aloud at work at the Arctic Monkeys link. They'd be a kick-ass dynamic duo: Tails and Tankards, an alternative to your neighborhood lyre.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 926
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Quote:

Ha!! yeah I love it. I'm pretty sure Annabelle would be willing to put aside her animsoity towards Lerrisa for the sake of music!! I was aways thinking of her music as a sort of irisk folk punk (think The pouges, dropkick murpheys, dubliners, flogging molly) but i'm 100% sure she's up for being experimental i'm down for the rp if anyone else is in ;P

maybe during some sort of town festival, as was mentioned before? would probably help if Annabelle was already a little drunk hha.

Playing- Sigil Moonchild @ Ravnica: Reconstructed | DMing- Law of the Jungle

Last edited by Wishkamon; 01-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishkamon View Post
Ha!! yeah I love it. I'm pretty sure Annabelle would be willing to put aside her animsoity towards Lerrisa for the sake of music!! I was aways thinking of her music as a sort of irisk folk punk (think The pouges, dropkick murpheys, dubliners, flogging molly) but i'm 100% sure she's up for being experimental i'm down for the rp if anyone else is in ;P

maybe during some sort of town festival, as was mentioned before? would probably help if Annabelle was already a little drunk hha.
I've just done some separate RP with Lerissa and Jack, so I'd be keen to use a different character link. Let me think about it a little. It's a bit late for me (4:05 in the morning).
Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 104
Zangul Zangul
Yeah I think a Festival would be a great place to rp all of us. And those without character links could use this interaction as that link. Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12915
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Mechaniacal and everyone else: I'm withdrawing my application. I'm just not online enough to make this work. I don't mind doing the work, but I'm only on the site once per day and it's just not working out. So... my apologies for wasting people's time. Ciao!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Here, I made a place for people to RP their characters if they like. This isn't an invitation to the actual game, just a place for you all to do that RP thing that you mentioned, what with the festival and all... https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18414
Old 01-22-2020, 01:12 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4286
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
@girlplay: Sorry to see you go - I will keep your app alive through Violet if I can! I appreciate the help with the NPC.

@Mechaniacal: I have been keeping the ledger updated on page 3 as the apps come along in case it's of any use to you.

Last edited by Theore; 01-22-2020 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1002
Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam
Ooof, looking back I hope I didn't step on too many other folks' character concepts. @Theore in particular I may owe an apology to.

Last edited by Citizen Sam; 01-22-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:31 AM
Internet Abjurationist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4286
Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore Theore
@Citizen Sam: No apologies needed, friend! If anything it gives hope that at least one person might have the potential to be a genuine friend in Taro Town lol. Librarians gonna library, enumerators gonna enumerate. If it makes you feel better, I don't tend to look up too much about other peoples apps until after submitting one myself.

Side note: Got in touch with several people over the last couple of days and got a handful of collaborators moved up from the "impressions" list to the "connections" list of my app, as well as a small collaboration piece with Alatere. I am working on first impressions for the new applications soon.

Always room for more in the meantime!

Last edited by Theore; 01-22-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 294
skrobbins skrobbins skrobbins
Application for <Guardians of Taro Town> from Skrobbins

Summary
Name: Gavryn H’olvidian
Race: Human
Class: Ranger
Background: Entertainer

Gavryn is a young cook dedicated to improving the world by serving one delicious meal at a time. All the better if he can reward his friends with exotic game felled by his own shortbow.

Last edited by skrobbins; 01-26-2020 at 08:09 AM.