Other Stars Without Number: Omega Blue - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 12:12 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Hey, just tossing something quick in here, because I have a busy day, but I wanted to make sure I put in an application. It looks super interesting, and I need something to do during this whole debacle.

Name: Emily Rentons
Class: Expert
Background: Technician (Small World Prodigy)

Possible Ship Role: Chief Mechanic

Personality: Bubbly and sweet, Emily's eternal optimism can often be seen by her detractors as too innocent or naive to survive the harsh brutalities that space travel offers. Even Emily knows that she is much more likely to riddle someone with compliments, rather than bullets. However, Emily, and those who are closest with her, have come to see her sunny disposition as one of her greatest strengths. Her ability to defuse a tense situation is unparalleled, and when the nights are eternal between planets and the fuel grows low, she is instrumental in taking everyone out of the doldrums and motivating them into the work they need to do to survive. She can seem distracted and abrupt at times, but she'll always realize it at some point, and hunt down the person to apologize, even if the realization comes years later.

Her love of humanity has bled directly into her love of machines. She prefers not to differentiate between the two, and as a result, often personifies the machines she's working on, considering herself more of a physician for machines rather than a mechanic. She can often times be found having full on conversations with the tech and, when asked, can tell how they are feeling that day, and what their opinion is on any current problems. Every machine she interacts with has a unique name, personality, likes and dislikes, and she always makes sure to ask permission of a machine before using it. She has, in fact, incurred the anger of customers before when, after being asked to fix or upgrade a device, she refused on the grounds that the device didn't wish to be fixed or upgraded at that moment.

Character Backstory: Rentons' Repairs is a small mechanic shop on a small moon off of a small planet that is nonetheless renown in Emily's home sector and all sectors adjacent, and people will often even come in from out of system to fix their trickier mechanical difficulties.The Rentons' have run their repair shop since before the Scream, and they do not look like they have any sign of stopping. The Rentons have always had a large amount of children, who legends say all have oil and grease flowing in their blood stream. These children always tend to go out into the world, to work on ships, apprentice themselves under other mechanics, or just generally ply their craft throughout the known universe. This is how the Rentons give back, especially during the Silence, when proper mechanical help was few and far between. Rentons' who are away from home often don't give their true last name, as the legend behind their name often gives them a legendary status that they prefer not to accept, instead wanting to be judged solely on their mechanical prowess. All knowledge gained, mechanical, political, cultural, or anything else aside, is often sent directly home with weekly check-ins to the current Operator of Rentons' Repairs, and as such, Rentons', and subsequently all of the Rentons' throughout the universe, can be a treasure trove of information on anything, but only if they have access to their check-ins, and only to those who know that they have these check-ins.

Emily grew up in the Rentons' Repairs shop, the youngest, and only, daughter in a family of nine brothers. She, as one of the Rentons' clan, had always had a natural affinity for machines, but she was always seen as a peculiar one, due to her tendency to ask machines for permission before she even touched them, and treating them as if they were as important as humans. However, nobody could ever deny her propensity towards mechanical repair, or 'mecha-healthcare' as she called it, and she was chosen, at the earliest age in family history, to become the newest Operator upon the death or retirement of the previous Operator, her father.

Her father is a jovial man, and still long for this universe, so his decision to send his precocious, beloved daughter into the universe was an easy one, and, as a result, she has bounced around with local traders on short voyages since she was nine, and her oil-stained, smiling face, peeking from inside of an engine or out of an airduct, has been ingrained in many of the minds of the local ship crews as a symbol that all is well. Some have even got that image tattooed onto their shoulders, as a good luck omen, and while she doesn't subscribe to that logic, there is something to be said for the fact that everyone who has the tattoo has always managed to find a safe passage home.

As a result, Emily began to amass a local legend status from an early age, accelerated due to her name, even exceeding it at points. It was off of this that Big Sis took notice and, communicating through proper channels, let the current Operator know that she wanted Emily to join her Reclamation Pact. After much discussion, in which the young Emily was wholly involved, as is Rentons' family tradition, the Operator allowed Emily to join the Reclamation Pact, under the condition that she be allowed to continue all her weekly updates, transfer whatever knowledge she had gained, and leave whenever she saw fit. And that is how, at the tender age of 15, Emily became the youngest recruit into the Reclamation Pact.

Last edited by abc123; 03-19-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Finished Post
Old 03-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
I really like the sound of this game and I already have an idea or three. I need to check the system but I should have app in soon.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:32 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1379
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
Background is finished.
Cool, looks good. Only lore-based quibble is that unless Matt is centuries old, he couldn't have been born the day after the Scream. But that doesn't affect the rest of his backstory. Does he feel he has a score to settle with the corrupt elements within the Marca or is he happy just to be free of the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
Darn it, HotsuSama, you twisted my arm! I've flipped through SwN several times, but never really dug deep into character creation or the mechanics. To be totally honest, I always seem to go straight to starship design, find it too mechanically detailed for my usual taste, and set the pdf aside. But dangit if Kevin Crawford didn't do an amazing job on character creation and system mechanics, as usual.
There's a lot of bits and pieces to the hulls and fittings, but I'll probably start you all off with a prefab ship so we don't get bogged down on it right away. The space combat system is interesting though. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out in PbP

Are you still going to be starting up that Godbound game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I really like the sound of this game and I already have an idea or three. I need to check the system but I should have app in soon.
Great, looking forward to it! Happy to answer any questions to speed up your basic understanding.

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:24 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Espatier
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Cool. So VIs (robots) are much the same as regular characters, except for obvious immunities (can't be poisoned, etc.) and that you can graft equipment to your chassis at extra cost, alongside some other quirks. You also decide whether you want to be a humanoid android, a worker bot or a vehicle bot (yes, you can be a talking car).

Transhumanism is a little more involved. In a nutshell, you'd want to think about whether you're connected to a 'polity' (basically whether you're part of a greater network, and where your consciousness is stored if something happens to your body). You can use an existing faction as a basis for this if it suits, or nominate your own polity. Then think about the kind of shell, or body, you want to start off with - could be a vat-grown organic body, a machine, or even a virtual consciousness.
torn between a worker bot and a vehicle bot in this world. Heck... I could be a recycler ( Garbage truck to maybe a Vacuum cleaner... cool). Once I figure out what type of robot then I'll post a personality.

Anything that comes to mind that can be upgraded and modded?

Last edited by Espatier; 03-18-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6084
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Are you still going to be starting up that Godbound game?
At this rate, probably! When? Depends on when my workplace settles back into a routine now that we're all working remotely.

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1009
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Cool, looks good. Only lore-based quibble is that unless Matt is centuries old, he couldn't have been born the day after the Scream. But that doesn't affect the rest of his backstory. Does he feel he has a score to settle with the corrupt elements within the Marca or is he happy just to be free of the system?
Fixed the chronology issue. He is happy to be free, but is keeping an eye open to stick it to the man when he sniffs corruption.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 198
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
Name: Angela "Angel" Page (pronounced Pa-jEH in her native language)

Class: Psychic (Telepathy primarily)

Background: Government Asset (Noble)

Possible Ship Roles: Intelligence officer, Morale officer

Personality: Angel is a warm person who speaks far less than she listens. People who get to know her will eventually notice that she doesn't seem comfortable sharing details about her life, but is always convincing people to share theirs. Will drop almost anything to give someone she cares about a shoulder to cry on, but is more physically standoffish with strangers. Seems uncomfortable with compliments on her physical appearance.

Character Backstory: Born in a slum on a TL4 planet called Primordium, Angel's life was never going to be pretty. With a beautiful singing voice as a child she was quickly put to work on the streets, begging for the scraps her family needed to survive. By the time she was 13 she had five younger siblings her parents had to look after, and so they entered into negotiations with a number of "houses of heavenly delights" to sell her. Angel's haunting voice, and icy blue eyes made her prime meat for the market. Eventually a legal indenture contract for her services until she reached legal adulthood (20 on-planet) was signed with Silken Desires.

While she was lucky enough to be sold as an entertainer/singer, as company to prime the pump before the working girls plied their trade, it was in her contract that when she reached the age of consent (16) Silken Desires could option her entrance into the sex trade. They inevitably did so, putting her through expensive and subtle plastic surgery to heighten her attractiveness, and having her genetics carefully pruned for her hair to come in platinum blonde. Up to this point the only sign of any psychic potential in her were occasional moments of profound empathy with customers; some of whom ended up crying on her lap for hours. Nobody took special notice of these moments, it simply seemed like the talents of a street-wise child.

When her virginity was eventually sold to the highest bidder, Angel was in profound shock over her physical changes. She thought she just wanted to get it all over with, and went to her encounter as someone approaching their own execution: with silent resolve. Her mental state left her open to using her powers more potently, and as she was wrapped up in the overpowering, predatory desires of her john, she broke down sobbing, and screaming about everything she could feel from him.

The Silken Desires madam was on-hand for the event, and being a cunning woman, realized what was going on. She quickly ushered the man out, and tried to pamper and comfort Angel. Feeling the woman's greed, Angel wasn't responsive, but neither did she flee. By the end of the week her contract had been transferred to the planet's only psychic academy, at a great profit for Silken Desires.

Angel's training at the academy took five years, during which she received counseling and psychiatric assistance, revealing (predictably) feelings of abandonment by her parents. Along with her psychic training, tutors taught Angel and the other mostly uneducated students in everything from history, to proper noble etiquette. Being a world dominated by a hereditary nobility, Primordium's psychics inevitably ended up serving one noble master or another, contracted through the academy which held the rights to their labor for two decades following their training. Due to her talents in telepathy, Angel received special training in spycraft: what information was most important to learn, various methods both psychic and not for discovering information, how to apply leverage for blackmail purposes, etc...

Graduated at 21, Angel's contract was sold to Duke Richard Gagnon. She took pride in her work, and reinforced the Duke's position on Primordium's ruling council ruthlessly, using her the skills of seduction she'd learned on more than one occasion.

Ruining the lives of wife-beaters, and cheaters helped her feel powerful in a way she never had before. Her work led her to enjoy knowing peoples' secrets, even just for the sake of knowing, and eventually she learned that Duke Gagnon and his family had been sharing information with the Cenotaph Institute, and now apparently with the Immortals. Primordium's official stance on the Institute, and its zealous successors, was one of skepticism and non-cooperation. The planet prized its secrets especially its psychic training and tiny amounts of pretech manufacturing methods highly, and it was willing to do a lot to maintain a monopoly on that knowledge and expertise. The revenue from the half-dozen systems who sent their psychics to Primordium for training was enough to fund half their space program alone!

Recognizing treason when she saw it, Angel turned in her employer. The entire Gagnon family was stripped of noble titles, and holdings, and Angel's contract was returned to the academy. For her great service to the state, she was granted authority over her own contract. She spent a couple years helping teach and train new psychics, but got tired of being locked up in one place, no matter how lavish. At 28 she decided to look for alternatives, searching through hundreds of requests for a functional telepath, one contract caught her eye: an open-ended request from the Reclamation Pact for shipboard assignment.

Unable to imagine a greater search for knowledge than working for the Pact, Angel accepted the contract.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1507
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
This looks way way too interesting not to apply to! I will absolutely be putting something together for this game!
Old 03-18-2020, 10:08 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1507
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Application
Name:
Class: [Either the skill-based Expert, the caster Psychic or the self-explanatory Warrior - or any combination of two of these as restricted 'partials'.]
Background: [may be doctor, pilot, soldier, etc. - this will help determine starting skills. Just put whatever feels appropriate to your vision of the character.]

Possible Ship Role: [not mandatory]

Personality:
Character Backstory: [feel free to add to the setting - homeworld, stations, organisations, etc. - to establish your character. The only consistent requirement is that they must be in a position to willingly accept an offer from the Reclamation Pact as of the beginning of the game]
Old 03-18-2020, 11:49 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1379
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espatier View Post
torn between a worker bot and a vehicle bot in this world. Heck... I could be a recycler ( Garbage truck to maybe a Vacuum cleaner... cool). Once I figure out what type of robot then I'll post a personality.

Anything that comes to mind that can be upgraded and modded?
Just about any standard equipment can be modded; if you have the book, it lists some sample mods on p91.

In terms of what you can install permanently on your chassis, there aren't any limitations listed in-book except for considering encumbrance, which won't be an early issue. And the added cost, of course - basically double initial cost of the item to have it as part of you. You can still have starting equipment without needing to graft it on - what's best for you to start with will depend on what's more important to you in your background, med or tech?

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:30 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Espatier
i'll go tech because I see so many potential doctors and medics already in the possible group. Minning or something just a hazardous would be what I would want to do.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:25 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Finished my app, not so sure about the worlds and the like, cuz I'm new to the gaming system, so just let me know if there's anything you would like me to fix
Old 03-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
Finished my app, not so sure about the worlds and the like, cuz I'm new to the gaming system, so just let me know if there's anything you would like me to fix
Just read your ap. It's really sweet, and had a sense of humor that made me smile. I have to say, I am now very worried for all the grizzly deaths it is possible for 15 year-old Emily to suffer out in the void. I have no power here, but kudos from me regardless.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDarkLord View Post
Just read your ap. It's really sweet, and had a sense of humor that made me smile. I have to say, I am now very worried for all the grizzly deaths it is possible for 15 year-old Emily to suffer out in the void. I have no power here, but kudos from me regardless.
Thanks! I really appreciate that, it's always nice to feel validated. I like your app as well, a lot of interesting background point that could very easily translate into story missions. I mean, we could do a whole story arc on Primordium, with the Gagnons after us, Silken Desires trying to bring you back, and maybe even a reunion with a younger sibling?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate that, it's always nice to feel validated. I like your app as well, a lot of interesting background point that could very easily translate into story missions. I mean, we could do a whole story arc on Primordium, with the Gagnons after us, Silken Desires trying to bring you back, and maybe even a reunion with a younger sibling?
I can neither confirm nor deny that I like story-hooks, and conflicts in a character's past.