Other Stars Without Number: Omega Blue - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 04:42 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1379
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymconeshot View Post
Personality:Inter is a quiet floating roughly spherical body. Programmed with limited personality databases, it struggles to interact with the broader world for such was hardly required. His long voyages made him unused to travelling with humans and he often lapses into blasting multiple pieces of music in his room as he analyzes their structure and form. His long life and observation of humanity has lead him to one inescapable conclusions, humanity is doomed to fail. With them doomed, it leads that some other intelligence will fill the void and he is determined to help create a situation where that is a VI

Character Backstory:He designed in probing extremely remote or dangerous space phenomenon originally and was dispatched in a small fast research vessel equipped with nothing more than survey drones and other remote sensors. Able to branch his consciousness into the empty shells, he was capable of vast amounts of exploration in a small time [feel free to add to the setting - homeworld, stations, organisations, etc. - to establish your character. The only consistent requirement is that they must be in a position to willingly accept an offer from the Reclamation Pact as of the beginning of the game]
I like the AI concept, although I'm not yet seeing how Inter would deign to associate with a human crew considering its attitude towards human existence, unless the idea is that it's now at a greatly reduced capacity and reliant on humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
Finished my app, not so sure about the worlds and the like, cuz I'm new to the gaming system, so just let me know if there's anything you would like me to fix
Looks like you've ticked all the main boxes! I'm finalising the broad strokes of the sector map as we speak but accepted players will have input for their homeworlds or places of origin.

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9887
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Yeah I got caught up moving and finishing up getting a new house. I am going to try next week to clean up and finish it.

Inter isn't on a genocidal path to kill off humans. As an AI he is effectively immortal provided both parts are not destroyed, he can find or salvage new shells, and he doesn't go insane. He sees humans as useful and skilled beings. After all he was designed and created by them and they managed to control good amounts of the Galaxy pre-crash. But he believes as a shaping force in the Galaxy they are effectively done. So he wants to shape the future and try to create a instellar AI empire. Because he knows that not all are accepting of AIs and if whatever empire rises to power to replace humans they could be genocidal towards AI or even mechanical contraptions depending on their own nature. (For example an insectile based multi leg race may hardly be accommodating to a bipedal human based one living on their world.)

Last edited by mightymconeshot; 03-21-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:45 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Yeah I got caught up moving and finishing up getting a new house. I am going to try next week to clean up and finish it.

Inter isn't on a genocidal path to kill off humans. As an AI he is effectively immortal provided both parts are not destroyed, he can find or salvage new shells, and he doesn't go insane. He sees humans as useful and skilled beings. After all he was designed and created by them and they managed to control good amounts of the Galaxy pre-crash. But he believes as a shaping force in the Galaxy they are effectively done. So he wants to shape the future and try to create a instellar AI empire. Because he knows that not all are accepting of AIs and if whatever empire rises to power to replace humans they could be genocidal towards AI or even mechanical contraptions depending on their own nature. (For example an insectile based multi leg race may hardly be accommodating to a bipedal human based one living on their world.)
That's cool, there's still plenty of time on the app so don't feel rushed. Hope the move is going well.

Okay, so it's more that Inter respects and esteems humanity, but just cannot logically see their long-term survival as probable and is preparing for the post-human age. That makes sense. So I'm guessing Inter would be seeking the Array vaults as part of that preparation?

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Exactly. He believes that whatever faction that ends up with majority control of the vaults will end up dominating the Galaxy. On a more specific note, he wants the data/process/understanding to be able to create new AI and maybe even an AI designed by other AIs.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6084
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
I'm going to need to withdraw my application.

I'm starting to get overwhelmed in real life dealing with family and the quarantine and I don't think it would be fair to anyone if I got into this game and couldn't dedicate enough time to it.

FYI, I am still planning on moving forward with my game. That's one of the reasons I felt I needed to back out of this one.

Take care all!

Posting Status: Available
Playing: Law of the Jungle || Recruiting: The Shattered Worlds
Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4844
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Oooh! I only just saw this - need to dig into the book a bit, but it looks interesting!

Also, possibly relevant.

Last edited by Mairien; 03-24-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
I'm going to need to withdraw my application.

I'm starting to get overwhelmed in real life dealing with family and the quarantine and I don't think it would be fair to anyone if I got into this game and couldn't dedicate enough time to it.

FYI, I am still planning on moving forward with my game. That's one of the reasons I felt I needed to back out of this one.

Take care all!
Shame to see you and Sara bow out but it's understandable, hope things settle into place soon for you. For anyone interested, this is Mav's planned game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairien View Post
Oooh! I only just saw this - need to dig into the book a bit, but it looks interesting!

Also, possibly relevant.
Space ghost makes sure the station crew don't get space scurvy. Surprisingly wholesome.

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Finished updating everything. Not my best, but it is there. If you need anything else or a clarification. Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
Still a work in progress but I wanted to get it started.

APPLICATION
right-aligned image

Name: Zara Smierc

Class: Adventurer (Partial Expert / Partial Warrior)

Background: Noble

Possible Ship Role: Pilot/Security

Personality:

Description: Zara stands 5’9” and possesses the typical features of someone of Russian/Slavic descent. Her face is a little thinner and a tad longer than the normal rounder shape but she still has the typical strong cheekbones. Her light blue-grey eyes are shaped much like a cat’s. She keeps her platinum blond hair cut short so it is out of the way, especially in combat. She has trained and worked hard all of her life and it shows in her physique, which is that of a trained athlete. Although pretty, few would call Zara beautiful but most would call her cute, which is something that irritates her.

Character Backstory:

Last edited by Vesper; 03-31-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Finished updating everything. Not my best, but it is there. If you need anything else or a clarification. Thanks
I think between that and the earlier responses to my queries I have a pretty good idea of Inter. Feel free to tinker with it in the last days if you wish though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Still a work in progress but I wanted to get it started.
No problem! You still have about a week to fix it up however you like.

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Hi Hotsu. I wanted to let you know that I don't think I'll be able to put a game application together, as I'd originally hoped. Don't get me wrong, the game looks absolutely awesome, but for some reason I just haven't had that moment of inspiration about what kind of character I'd like to play.

My apologies, and best of luck with the game.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
You still have almost a week to get a bout of inspiration.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:34 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
CommentOk, so, this may be a bit unusual, but... I have this idea of a character with the same underlying personality, for lack of a better word, structure, which I can write out with two different backstories, and hence backgrounds and, to an extent, ship roles. I'm sketching both here. If you want me to commit to one up-front, then I'll have to make a tough decision, of course, but I thought it might be nice to leave that undetermined and then pick whichever one best complements the rest of the crew.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Elizabeth "Liz" Kowalsky
Class: Adventurer (Expert/Warrior)

Personality: Liz is in her fifties and has seen a lot in life - much ugliness, and some decency. She is generally disillusioned, but has managed to avoid descending completely into cynicism. Experience has given her a sense for how few things really matter: she unfazed by people misbehaving, yet still appreciates it when they don't, and she has a love for simple comforts, and for music. Whether alone or for the benefit of others, she likes to play her guitar. She is no-nonsense in her dealings with people, but by no means unkind, and often offers a friendly ear to listen. Conversely, while not a recluse, she is somewhat introverted and keeps her emotional independence, rarely revealing personal matters to others.

Version 1Background: Physician

Possible Ship Role: Medical (General/Support) or possibly Captain

Character Backstory: Liz started her life... long ago. She was born on one of the myriads of worlds in the Roma Commonwealth - you wouldn't know the place. She joined the military to become an officer, and was later sponsored for a medical degree. She served as a military doctor for two decades, including in many of the armed encounters with the Kollheini Federation, before the same descended into its internal turmoil. Feeling a certain futility in it all, she eventually retired, but unsuited to civilian practice, she was at first ship doctor on one or the other civilian station or freighting operation. Somehow the Reclamation Pact's mission, in equal parts megalomaniac and quixotic, appeals to her, though she wouldn't readily admit to the kind of idealism that still has its draw on her.

Version 2Background: Official

Possible Ship Role: Captain or General/Support

Character Backstory: Liz grew up in the Marca Enclave and had a career as a detective in the station's formidable police force. Focused on her career, she never married or had children. Over a decade ago, she got embroiled in a corruption scandal in which she insisted on investigating the wrong people (for the right reasons), which got her dismissed from the force. Since then, she's been keeping herself up variously as a private investigator or simply a crew member on civilian operations. Somehow the Reclamation Pact's mission, in equal parts megalomaniac and quixotic, appeals to her - what else does she have left to do with her life, anyway? Of course, she wouldn't readily admit to the kind of idealism that still has its draw on her.

Last edited by Mairien; 03-25-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
Added picture, some backstory and information of the Trihaven system. Not sold on her class yet so that might change.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Hi Hotsu. I wanted to let you know that I don't think I'll be able to put a game application together, as I'd originally hoped. Don't get me wrong, the game looks absolutely awesome, but for some reason I just haven't had that moment of inspiration about what kind of character I'd like to play.

My apologies, and best of luck with the game.
That's alright, it's not always the right time for the right idea to strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairien View Post
Ok, so, this may be a bit unusual, but... I have this idea of a character with the same underlying personality, for lack of a better word, structure, which I can write out with two different backstories, and hence backgrounds and, to an extent, ship roles. I'm sketching both here. If you want me to commit to one up-front, then I'll have to make a tough decision, of course, but I thought it might be nice to leave that undetermined and then pick whichever one best complements the rest of the crew.
I dunno, I see two captain builds here, not sure what the discrepancy is ...

But yeah, that's okay. I'll consider both branches equally within the same character. But let me ask you - if I said I preferred one and that's the build you should stick with, which do you think you'd be disappointed with if I picked it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Added picture, some backstory and information of the Trihaven system. Not sold on her class yet so that might change.
Compared to the rest of the sector as I've been sketching it, Trihaven sounds downright utopian! But I could work with that.

I've taken the Oath.