User Statistics
RPXP: 150
end0r end0r
The Between Lands

Game NameThe Between Lands
Game SystemPF 2e
ThemeDream as refuge
FlavourFey intrigue, madness, horror and adventure

Trampled bare by the boots of the recent wars, these Between Lands, wither and bake beneath the apex of the summer sun. They offer little respite to refugees such as yourselves, seeking safety beyond the Opal Wall. Forging bonds with strangers, without question or hesitation. Some of you are enthusiastic opportunists, once ambitiously gambling in the war zone, now devolved into victims of your own folly. Some, disgruntled mercenaries, cheated of earned coin. Else dutiful warriors, whose peers have fallen into enemy hands- or to enemy blades. Yet others, driven by mysterious motives, remain too deep to plumb. A few of you live only to serve those in need. You are among good company. For you are all desperate.

You have encountered nothing, in three days of harried travel, but razed villages and salted fields. Massive armies have stripped the plains of all game but vole and shrew. You've survived on fish and berries, but were never granted a moment’s rest. Skirmishes erupt without notice. Starved war bands pillage without conscience. From a distance you have witnessed groups of refugees slaughtered, with no heed to brand nor banner. War bucks all yokes and reaps both fruit and sprig.

At dawn this morn, midsummer's day, you lot were roused from a makeshift cliffside shelter by a war dog. The beast attempted to fell the weakest among you, but was easily persuaded to retreat. You broke camp frantically and fled before the imminent return of the whole pack. Your flight led you into a narrow valley, known to some as Aurynvale, a Fey Fringe. The conflict has left such notorious locales untouched, their volatility anathema to organized warfare. However in these degenerate times, it is possible a rogue military band might follow their dogs in careless pursuit.

Your band weaves hurriedly toward the warm sunshine of the valley floor. Bright red shouldered sunbirds spiral high on the updrafts that buffet the amaranth and almond striped cliffs. An old imperial road bisects Aurynvale, overgrown in its disuse, with purple heather and yellow flowering dwarf furze. As you descend a cloaked figure becomes visible around a bend. He sings in a high warbling merry voice that belies his dark countenance.

"Seldom do the solemn save a sad day. Fools to the fallen brave a mad bray. I always say, invest in jest!

So many leap beneath the feet of gods. The canny creep beneath the peat and sods. I always say, infest their rest!

Titans slumber, numbering the stars. Golden dreams are yours who tip the bards. I always say, divest the nest!"

His voice catches in his throat abruptly as you emerge into the sunlight, stepping onto the road. His knees seem to quiver, as if the impact of your foot upon the packed earth emits a shock wave. He spins towards you adjusting his attire. Perhaps overcompensating, he speaks in a low serious tone.

"Come forward travelers, and be known!" He looks the bedraggled lot of you up and down.

Plot Summary
The plot, if you will it, will wind through the wylds, in orbit about the court of Titania. Player characters will struggle with the dreams of mad gods and the horror of wanton fey myrth. Combat, when necessary will be swiftly cinematic and if possible kept in the theater of the mind.

Time to join the story! Create an ancestry, background, class, your appearance and a name. This is an open world. The backstory you write as you create your character becomes the world in which we play. There are no restrictions (but the valley itself and events directly up to it).

Last edited by end0r; 03-25-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Posting interest, excited to see some PF2 home brew.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:58 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 307
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
Very interested, when I read this I heard Sheogorath
Old 03-23-2020, 05:25 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
I'm generating maps, and tightening my grasp on the rule set (which I think is excellent (the rule set, not my grasp on it)). Holding out for a few more bites. Thanks for the interest!

Last edited by end0r; 03-24-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarification as to the depth of my ignorance
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Super cool, my friend. Well written, drippingly succulent. Me too, happy to see some PF2 homebrew. I'll get back to you.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1612
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Interested I'm still trying to understand the system but it looks cool
Old 03-25-2020, 12:24 AM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
right-aligned image

Shandra simply... can not ... believe ... her wide eyes...

The wet earth soaking through her trousers and cooling her aching knees -- while she has just fallen and kneels openly before this strange figure in the distance... sparking these strange words for all to hear...

Her team behind her, haggered, ravaged we are. Flight from the fell beast of a dog just the morning ago, only six hours prior, has her squad still panting and reeling with gripping exhaustion, and the dreariness of wonder anxiety.

... In that moment, under the wide sun above, she instantly flashes and reflects on all the events that have befallen her. Never before could she imagine in all of her wildest nightmares, the war turn this bleak corner, turn in this horrific direction, leading to this level of such suffering and destruction...

She desires to speak to this man, in his cool and open jest -- but she can not, for her throat is seized with such dry and choking sorrow.

Men, withdraw your approach! Release your tension! This man before us is not our enemy. Her hand is held high in a tight fist, and her voice has finally broken through. Gather your things for the moment, men. Take rest for the period. I will investigate this ahead. We continue at night fall.

They have earned a rest, and although she is not the usual front figure, she swallows her fears regardless and decides to make the first contact with this mystery man. 'Lay quiet, young Shandra, for this figure that you find may usher you into a new direction, for certain.' The voice in her mind, the guidance from within, has not steered her wrong yet. The delicate voice, awakened just presiding the start of the Great Event, The War to End all Wars, as prophesied, her inner guides that speak to her softly, have been the only sources of comfort from the very beginning, and of deep residing wisdom.

Speak Figure in the clearing! What say you down under here, out in this open, and confident enough during these terrible times to make such a jest. Has the war not ravaged you like the rest?

Speak now mysterious figure as you are! For we do not wish confrontation any longer. My team has fought enough, we have endured much. We mean no more harm, for the remnants of what we still carry with us is severely dwindling. What say you to us!?

Last edited by WhiteStag; 03-25-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:52 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
left-aligned image
The figure relaxes and changes his stance, askance. He delicately presses his thin fingers to his chest, clutching at imaginary pearls. Eyes still closed, he pulls his heels together and locks his knees. Like a bawdy barker, wont to lean into an eager crowd, he shifts his hips in a smooth swoop and a dip that could be construed as a bow.
right-aligned image

Again in a falsetto with a thick air of whimsy, he cants.

"Barefoot through the rushes
Dew root snare your toes?
Perspicuity flushes
Friend fount and of foes?
Till eve your past hushes
Linked ‘ere lost like souls
Daisies rapt round blushes,
Poppy mist up your nose!"

He chuckles and sniffs, standing stern once more. His eyes open but a sliver, revealing an inner glow, visible even in the warm sunlight of the valley.

"I cannot find a dram of fear in my heart. One third a dram, of wickedness, and five drams of mirth, but not a grain of fear. But who keeps score of wickedness? Little harm will come to my being here. I am a guardian. The Guardian, of Aurynvale. You feel no fear, yourself, Persistent Fist. This is not desperate perspiration upon your brow." He waves his free hand dismissively. "Nay, it is the cool sweat of anticipation. The lies we speak to ourselves should not function to weaken us. You are a seeker. Be proud. You have found. And in finding, there is ever the promise- of more."

He gestures upwards with his blade. "As in the first world so is it here. Storms and strife rule the mortal lands, and beyond. There is a source of sorrow from which we all drink. You flee from conflict, yet ever has it preceded you. You may seek refuge among the Shide, safety from immediate harm. For the hounds that hunt you grow numerous and near. However a bargain must be struck, a price promised, and paid."

Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Are you allowing optional ability flaws?

Thinking about playing a goblin farmer, trying to decide between bard, Champion, or Ranger.

Last edited by Vicorin; 03-25-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
Yes, you can take the optional abilities flaws, provided you abide by the convoluted guidance provided in the sidebar CR26. Kind of a minefield there. It sounds like you already have this in mind, but I'd like to note just in case that this will likely be a very "social" leaning adventure. Happy to see a goblin, and down with whatever your final choice is. Cheers!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2101
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
I might want to play a halfling monk.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:36 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
Greetings, Ericg1s! Some say monks are quite formidable in PF2.

To those who are interested, I ask you to please lay out a character concept in an introductory post similar to Whitestag's. That would be excellent way to get the story rolling! Thank you for your participation!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3389
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
I haven't played PF2 yet. Is that ok? Goblin Druid?

Last edited by Kshnik; 03-25-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:20 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
No problem, if you haven't played it! As long as you have the core rules, you'll be fine.

Ability scores are generated through character concept creation, in a point allocation method. Skill actions are earned through training proficiency levels and skill modifiers are gained from ability modifiers and proficiency level. DC are determined from the skill level of your target or GM decision. The combat action economy is different, but intuitive. Many actions which were formerly free are now a bit more costly. Best that you read the combat section for yourself. I'm happy to engage in discussion where there is confusion, but please note I will err on the side of less complication and more narrative as a default. That said, I can be a bit of a grognard and enjoy a good combat grind from time to time. PF2 can be a bit more deadly than you might be accustomed to. It is especially easy for low level characters to drop. The medical skills and kits are very helpful, and as ever it is essential that the party have a healer. Druids can provide healing,as before. The druidic orders split between support and assault, but, again best you read that for yourself.

Glad to have you involved! Goblins always welcome here. All questions are welcome as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3389
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Thanks. I will have description and history up soon. For character creation I am using the Archives of Nethys site.

How much does abilities effect class? Goblins start off with -2 wisdom but it appears the druid class needs wisdom. Edit: Just read something called Voluntary Flaw. Is this in play? This would make Goblin abilities dex +2, wis +2, Cha -2.

Last edited by Kshnik; 03-25-2020 at 08:49 PM.