RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Character flavor...
Application
left-aligned image
right-aligned image

he catches her breath. She takes in the wide peripheral. Her “Friends,” as they are growing to be, still nurse their wounds, organize their packs from the morning flight, and gaze wide around at the vast valley of open clearing, steadily regrowing its lush after the ravagings of continual war.

Refugees they are indeed. A mix-matched band of all war-torn walks of life; from wee goblin farmers, all the way to great orcish men of sheer power and might. Shandra is a quaint woman in stature, delicate and sensitive, but what resides within her is a great beacon of light that bursts through small confines, and shaky, undiscovered foundations of strength.

(Background:) She was a nun residing quietly in the Abbey of Whitespire. She has a gift. She was left on the doorstep of the celebrated and renowned Convent, as a mere infant, abandoned by unwanted parents… or was she given as a gift to the great matrons that grace the ancient walls? A gift for the wise mystics to cultivate this small child bearing the sacred symbol as a birthmark on the small of her neck, the symbol of the Angelic, the Celestial, The Seraphim.

She grew strong in the safety of the confines of the monastery; normal, demure, intelligent, articulate and graceful, until one day she saved the life of one of her sisters as she fell on a spike in the garden. Young Shandra shocked all that were involved in saving the girl from the unfortunate accident. Her forthcoming sisters recounted Shandra rushing immediately to the dying woman’s aid, bleeding out in a bed of roses. In a wild fit of anxiety and terror witnessing the fallen sister, Shandra’s hands suddenly ignited in a glow of vibrant gold, and eyes burst in wild blue fire! A voice suddenly became apparent in her mind admonishing her to pick up the dying girl and caress her open wounds forthright. She drew the woman off of the grievous spike, sealed up the impalement with her enchanted fingers and returned vitality to the woman's veiled and dulled eyes.

The time came when war was inevitable, noble troops could not deny any longer, for they must take up arms against the unrelenting oppressors. Shandra was summoned by The High Priestess herself. She was dispatched among many other nuns to take to squadrons, to be the core of those that fight for righteousness, and for the good cause.

(Appearance and Personality:) She is armed with nothing save the rugged hide of her skirmishing armor, and the tough boots of long travel, tools of battlefield triage, and cooking supplies and sleeping tents for rest at nightfall. Her eyes are soft and penetrating, for few can fool her keen observations of merit and true worth. Her voice, kind and sincere, for she knows and values the importance of diplomacy, compromise and equality in discussion when met with potential adversaries and scrutinizing authorities. Her heart is kind and maternal. The days of girlish play is long behind her in a life she once knew. Shrewd decisions and dire circumstances amongst a military team these recent years have caused her to be quick of mind, fleet of foot, and sacrificial in many comforts and attachments.
Her original squad of calculated strike and swift skirmish have all but dissipated and disbanded now, save a few. Venture beyond the Opal Walls has been much more difficult than once surmised…

These are the words you befall upon us, Guardian of the old road of Auryndale? You offer us refuge at an unknown price…? You take comfort in openly spouting rhymes and riddles, veiled words, unappreciated during these times of great uncertainty, swift death and sorrow. Shandra, indeed, wipes the sweat from her brow as was disclosed. The ominous figure again offers timely refuge. She considers these implications heavily, seeing that the make-shift group behind her, capable or not, of fending off any more immediate attacks from marauders or worse denizens.

I will have to discuss further with my partners, on what to do with your cryptic offers, I must state. Please forgive my caution, as you may understand our recourse. ~*

Character Name: -Shandra Wilhelm-
Race: Human
Class: Sorceress (Angelic Bloodline )
Alignment: Neutral Good
Character Role: Battlefield Medic. Studious and Knowledgeable in Histories, Customs, and Lore. Charismatic Diplomat and Conversational Front Woman.

(OOC:) Application complete. Open for discussion and adjustments. If I forgot details, please advise. Still gaining my bearings in the new PF2 system. Thank You, end0r, for the opportunity. Welcome to RPGx. With writing talent as you display and your courteous attitude, you shall make valued friends easily and quickly. I was delighted to read your response.

Last edited by WhiteStag; 04-02-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
An Introduction
right-aligned image
They have traveled through war-torn lands and barren wastes, seeking shelter from calamity’s dogs. Kithfira had her knife and bow. She had fended them off with arrows and persevered with a falcon’s vigilance. No man or beast will keep them from safe sanctuary, nor jester’s caveats of woes. Though Shandra trusted this strange clown’s words, it would take more than a silly song to convince Kithfira that he was indeed no foe. Friends freely give without a price, they ask not of promises and pacts.

Humans trust so quickly and gain faith at face-value. They see with their eyes but not beyond the veil. Yet, flowing through her veins was the ancient trace of the Fey, and from the deepest recesses it spoke clearly now that this was no ordinary fellow of flesh and blood.

Should this funny one prove to be a hindrance, with a single strum of her bow, this man, this so-called Guardian of Aurynvale would meet an end as swiftly as the last obstacle that had found them.

Name: Kithfira
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Scout

Backstory: Kithfira has good reason to be wary of silver-tongued strangers. The elven people have long struggled to reclaim their ancestral homes, yet swearing pacts and honoring truces did nothing to dissuade betrayal for a myriad-fold. Demons infest the lands they left behind and her family fled such a threat to live closer to the “safety” of civilization. Humans proved no better than demons, driving them to the forests, and as the years flew by the more wicked among them played sadistic games of torture, collecting their pointed ears as trophies. However, nothing could have prepared them for the Great War and the scourge of cruelty that ensued.

The atrocities of war still ring fresh in her mind, for only a few years before Kithfira’s home was set upon without warning by cavalry bearing the crest of the black dragoons. They slaughtered the elders and all they could find, set fire to their sacred grove, and scattered the survivors to the four winds. Separated from her family, to this day their fate is unknown. From that day forward Kithfira swore that she would use her skill as an archer to hunt and destroy such ilk from the face of the realm. Never again would she stand by helpless as her friends perish before her eyes.
The years which followed were a blur of fighting, bloodshed, and grisly guerrilla combat, falling in rank with one mercenary troop after another, time and again filling the dangerous role of scout and saboteur. She has grown so accustomed to humans and their way of life that it has become difficult to even remember what life was like before this quest for vengeance began.

Personality: Tender aged, at fifteen years old Kithfira is merely a childling in the eyes of the world. Yet, she does not shy from the grim facts of life, for her cold amber eyes have witnessed horrific tragedies beyond the confines of the forest. Having wandered far from the sacred grove of her origin, she has cast her lot with those who fight against oppression. She is a free-spirited, fearless girl, matter of fact and defiant to the last. Life as a wandering mercenary has fostered in her a firm sense of self-reliance. Though at times quiet and aloof amid introspection, there is still a joyful spark of childlike innocence that exists within her. Kithfira loves animals and the simple pleasures of nature. Frolicking barefoot in a dew swept meadow. Feeling a gentle breeze upon her cheeks. The rustic smell of old and ancient things…she takes nothing for granted. Ultimately, she simply desires to reunite with her family and live peaceably in a world where the races can coexist. Though some may scoff at such a dream, Kithfira clings to that hope—for one so young, she has already fought and bled with the best of them during their escape beyond the Opal Wall. Those she fights alongside are her kindred now, for she is a loyal friend and a fierce defender that extends help for all those in need.

Appearance: At first glance, Kithfira is often mistaken for a boy due to her wispy mop of short hair. She found that mercenaries treated her with much less contempt that way, as she no longer resembled a fragile little thing that required constant supervision. Having adopted their gruff mannerisms and unabashed way of confronting problems, be it an adversary or a bowl of grub, she doesn’t require anyone to hold her hand, nor would she ever think to ask for special treatment. Kithfira has an ethereal air, nonetheless, with dusky grey hair and a pale complexion. Her eyes are bright amber like liquid gold, and her gaze has a hawkish quality. Unversed in the latest fashions, Kithfira dresses in earthen tones and practical garb for a humble ranger. Never without her bow and quiver, the silver inlayed dagger at her hip and a hawk-feathered clip are all that is left to remind her of simpler, happier days.

left-aligned image

Once Shandra safely converged with the group, Kithfira finally relented and relaxed her grip on the knocked arrow. Sweeping around the woman, keeping an eye on the funny man all the while, in her short breadth of years Kithfira had never once encountered one so wonderfully flamboyant. “What do you think? Shall I riddle the madman with arrows? No? Oh. Right, perhaps that may be too extreme…well, what shall we do? We have no gold or goods to offer in exchange for passage through. Regardless of what trouble lies in wait, I’d wager my bow that they’re a mere sea breeze compared to the trials we’ve since endured together. ”

The long journey clearly weighed on them all, and with ravenous dogs at their back there may well be no other way but onward forth. “There’s something within me, a feeling in my very bones that I find hard to describe. We stand before a winding crossroads, whither we go from here may well be in the hands of that whimsical fool.”

Though she dared not to utter the words, this touch of ardor that bristled in her deepest being seemed to jump for joy. It felt like the path they were bound for had been traveled many a time amid distant, far-flung dreams. It felt like…home.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
end0r end0r
Re: the ludonarrative harmony of a druid literally having a green thumb

Kshnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshnik
How much does abilities effect class? Goblins start off with -2 wisdom but it appears the druid class needs wisdom.
In answer to your question, how much do abilities effect class? At low levels, a good deal. Personally, I'm a visual learner, so I'm going to share the way I conceptualize this. In the following image pink rimmed boxes are "trained" offering a proficiency mod of +2 + lvl(1). The dark red rimmed boxes are "expert" offering a proficiency mod of +4 + lvl(1). The blue boxes show where the druid's key ability comes into play.

This tells me that a druid spell caster, or a druid interacting heavily with animals (either summoned or wild), benefits quite a bit from a high WIS. However, proficiency plays a big part in the rolls. As level, and skill proficiency increases the effect of the ability mod is lessened. A shapeshifter is less hindered at low levels by a lesser WIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshnik
Edit: Just read something called Voluntary Flaw. Is this in play?
Yes, it is in play.

PF2 provides several methods, by which you can mitigate ancestral ability flaws in your class’ key ability. I think you are already hip to those. But I'll cover them real quick, just in case.

There is the optional ability flaw sidebar on CR26. To me this suggests the following course of action for a goblin druid. The goblin receives an ability boost to DEX and one to CHR and a free boost. The druid class has WIS as it’s key ability, and lists CON and DEX as secondary suggestions.

You could place your ancestry ability boosts as such DEX 2 CHR 2 and WIS 2

And your ancestry ability flaw as such WIS -2

Leaving you with DEX 2 CHR 2 WIS 0
You could then apply your both of your voluntary ability flaws to CHR and the resulting free boost to WIS

Leaving you with DEX 2 CHR -2 and WIS 2

Yay!

For further ancestral ability flaw mitigation please consider the herbalist, or hunter backgrounds.

So, yes. From a mechanical standpoint, the goblin druid is sub-optimal. Now here comes the inevitable "yeah but it's all about roleplay" speech.

Goblins have a reduced wisdom as a reflection of their energetic, impulsive nature, shortened longevity, and limited life experience. Does this preclude the goblin ancestry from being paired with the druid class? No. A goblin druid, of the Leaf order, who is enthusiastic about horticulture may focus on perennials rather than annuals. Bright blooming, fast crawling vines rather than sturdy slow growing hardwoods etc. Likewise a goblin druid, of the Animal order, may likely choose a smaller, faster animal companion, with a similarly shorter life span. The wisdom of the hibernating bear is a foreign point of view, but the badger and the snake very much feel at home with the goblin druid (Maybe even cats and birds, but dogs and horses are straight out). The goblin’s energetic lust for life can be channeled into a glorious embrace of the most alluring and inspiring experiences that nature has to offer.

Follow your heart.

DaniLoreAwesome. Thank you! Kithfira has grit, and mystique. An excellent addition.

Last edited by end0r; 03-26-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Leading more towards bard or champion at the moment. Are you using the standard Paizo deities?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
VicorinYou can name your deity, and fit them with an appropriate domain. Or, pick a Golarion deity and give it a quick reskin. I have only one goddess in reserve, essentially similar to Pharasma, her name is Sheul. She controls the gates through which the tide of souls rise and fall. I'm committed to this being an open world, but I can offer you a selection from a pantheon given a bit to pull it together. Your choice.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:19 AM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
I know this is kind of long lol, once I started it just kept coming. Let me know if I need to shorten it. This is just a rough draft. I'm going to get some sleep.

The deity is also a rough draft, might work on it a bit more, especially the name.

Last edited by Vicorin; 03-28-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2101
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Name: Sheri Gottu

Race: Halfling

Primary Class: Monk

Background: Herbalist

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background Bond: The master of the empty hand.

Appearance: Has rather dark eyes, skin, and hair, and very narrow mouth, nose, ears, and eyes. Fingers and toes are also rather narrow.

Personality: Tries to appear completely focused on self-perfection. If things go bad enough, this façade might crack, revealing a heartbroken young lady underneath.

Limited Backstory (more will be explained via flashbacks as the game progresses.): It began when someone raised the dead, to provide extra grunt/shock troops for an upcoming battle. The whole shire was thrown into panic and everyone was separated-she is not certain if her family or friends made it out. One of the students of the empty hand threw down ceremonial salt (representing purity of body, mind, and soul,) which created a barrier the walking dead could not cross. She escaped past this barrier and followed the student back to the monastery, where the master taught her the way of peace*. After studying for some time there, Sheri heads to the between lands, seeking to better herself and find her destiny. Somehow (by destiny, luck, fate, chance, or the design of some third party,) she has stumbled into the First World of the Fey.

*The way of peace: This is a martial arts style which rejects the use of weapons; it only 'works' with unarmed strikes. The idea is that by not carrying weapons, you avoid provoking others, but by being able to defend yourself, you avoid becoming a target. Sheri uses a staff sling for hunting, but tries to avoid using it in combat against other humanoids, because the Master would not approve. She also will try talking things out if the possibility of a peaceful solution exists.

Last edited by Ericg1s; 03-28-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1612
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Eirik
right-aligned image

name Eirik Hillestad
race human
class barbarian
background farm hand

backstory
he was born a simple farmer of the hillestad clan. His father a farmer and his father before or so he was told. On his sixteenth birthday the scales began he hid them for some time until the "confusion" began. He seemed to lose control of himself and the dragon from inside let himself out. He watched himself breathing acid and can bring a simple peasant to their knees. he fled the farm and joined the militia until the end of the war. Now he ventured further hoping to control his confusion and perhaps grow stronger.

Last edited by delpinator; 03-29-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
More lore

OOCIt occurs to me that some might prefer to have a bit more lore to chew on. Tackling a new game system, as well as an "open world" homebrew- it might be too much at once. Or perhaps the phrase "beyond the Opal Wall" simply isn't enough. That seems likely. I should address these concerns, that I just now brought up to myself. I'll pretend that this isn't an exercise in self indulgence, concocted to fill the thread while waiting to catch the eye of a few more interested players. So, to those who enjoy world building, and to those willing to wade through derivative homebrew fluff, and to my inner voice, whom I listen to more than any other: this post is for you. To those of your who have already created character concepts and woven back stories so intriguing: Thank you! And I apologize for the length of this post.

On the dissemination of knowledge during wartimeThe civilized folk of Me'm Aper, the land within the Opal Wall, learn their history from traveling Magisters. Magisters are a sect of the monastic order of Habrini, the god of balance. Not to be confused with the Magistrates, a different, but similarly named order of Habrini traveling monks. The Magistrates render judgements over petty disputes in smaller communities. Typical lore, here we are already splitting silly heirs (coincidentally a task the Magistrates are often called upon to perform). The Magisters work a circuit around the worn roads of Me'm Aper, from the heights of the central city L'sille to the Abbey of Whitespire on the coast. They carry with them many copies of the famous scrolls and historical tomes considered classical literature and vital text. Selections from some of the volumes commonly included in their mobile libraries are presented below, along with an introduction from Brother Thenes the Penitent.

Many beyond the wall learn their lore from bards. Oral histories and songs passed from mentor to apprentice skald. This is certainly true in the Three Kingdoms and among the Host of the Onyx Wyrm.

Note on the Three Kingdoms, and the Host One hundred years ago the Green began to recede, and pass the healed world back into the hands of humans. Many, who traced their lineage to noble roots, rushed out to reclaim their hereditary lands. The validity of these claims was always a function of the current wealth of the claimant and their ability to manifest the sort of military muscle requisite in undertaking such an endeavor. Political levers were pulled, approval granted, and long lost scrolls describing convoluted family ties were suddenly discovered. A century later, the following fiefdoms have survived the scrum beyond the wall.

Seprisia Novo
The House of Ardurae trace their family back to the Blood of Leopold. A nearly mythic line of human Royalty who reigned over a long lost magical kingdom, Seprisia, allegedly existing concurrent to the apex of the high elven houses. They have settled Seprisia Novo along a fertile valley than parallels the straightest stretch of the wall. The Ardurae blame those within the Opal Wall for the infertility curse that has befallen the realms. They crusade to lift the curse, aiming to breech the wall and destroy the Academe De Arcane. In the mean while they have annexed land and consolidated their lordship over nearly a dozen noble houses. Though the claim to give every subject a voice in governance, their tax policies are stiff in these times of war, and questioning the Ardurae directly insurrection

Addakhan Keep
A powerful sorcerer with a potent occult artifact rules the barrens of the Between Lands surrounding the imposing Addakhan keep. His armies are comprised of all sorts of magical beasts, mercenaries, and an occasional goblin tribe or two. Serfs work his lands, and there toil feeds his armies. Fear grips his land, as he seems aware of all transgressions. He is known as the Many Eyed King.

Irulan
A collection of wild elven tribes, halfelves and nomadic humans who have sworn allegiance to the Wicker King. They have no permanent home, but their skill in guerilla warfare has kept the thin woods and scattered copse of the their exclusive domain. The Wicker King is said to be a very young High Elf, very much a boy playing ruler.

Host of the Onyx Wyrm
A nomadic nation of human barbarians, half-orcs and goblins united under the black dragon banner. Led by the Marquis De Cairns, a brutal human warlord who claims to be a descendant of the last emperor. The host is a massive destructive force, tearing up all before it, leaving naught but ill soil in its wake. The Marquis also seeks to storm the wall, to break the infertility curse.

Brother Thenes the Penitent enjoys the sound of his own voice"What value is there in the study of tomes? What is the appeal of lore? Recitation of stuffy names and disassembled philosophy repurposed to prop up authoritarian ideologies? Cultural pillars that in turn collapse upon themselves, lending fertile soil for a fresh crop of stuffy names and hollow creeds to sprout anew into the collective consciousness. And on and on. Civilizations swell, crest and fall, time and again. Each picking up the incoherent scraps of the precedents, and stitching them into a quilt of knowledge. Declaring this mismatched golem, composed from mere fragments of thought, a homogeneous culture. But culture is not what springs from the pages of dusty tomes. Culture is what the reader carries in their heart as they turn the page. Culture is the song sung by tavern light, the almanac one consults before sowing the fields, the patterns of spring dresses. Ah but the joy of chronological enumeration is hard to deny. When the dense and the mad close in around us, gibbering inanely in a polyphonic crescendo, those parchments etched by quills dipped in familiar sorrows provide a foundational rock that reaffirms our grasp on sanity and our sense of lucid purpose. I carry here in my pack, some of the most thought provoking and most insightful ancient texts that the brothers have translated, fit for your consumption.

I know that times are difficult. Surely life was better for some before these times of war, but also as assuredly, times have been worse. Much worse. Many disasters that have faded from the minds of common folk are present in these texts. But beware, the narrators are not always well informed, nor entirely trustworthy."

On originsScroll IR0023-000197
Recovered from the dungeons beneath the Bittewind Monastery.
Recount of the oral teachings of Heradus.
Circa 250, Seprisian calendar (henceforth abbreviated SPR).

Quote:
At the beginning of all things presence and absence were separate. Then the two came into contact with one another, becoming the Source. Along the border of difference occurred both weaving and undoing. The energy generated along this edge brought into being the four elements. From one (the source) comes five (the elemental planes).

Further discussions of originsScroll IR0056-010322
Tome fragment recovered from the demi-plane created during the collapse of the Ebon Tower
Penned by Brunaelph Half-fey
Circa 1200 SPR

Quote:
Lets us begin at what some say is, not entirely unironically, the beginning.

What follows are the teachings of Grandmaster Vidan Umucan, recited in defiance of the demon script, Thothus, for the ears of the short beards of Rorathun’s court in the year 3215 of the Obsidian Hall’s calendar (henceforth abbreviated OH).

"Before there was stone, iron and flame there was naught but the frigid nothingness of the Beyond and the warmth and light of the Source. From the Source emerged the three brothers; Usonis, paragon of honor and resolve; Habrini, wise keeper of balance and good deeds; And Haddadon, the oldest, lord of order and bond. Their beatific glory brought lesser gods into their orbit, and their will wrought the magnificent inner planes. As they slumbered their dutiful and diligent dragon servants made real their whimsical dreams. In these new worlds the high gods did play.

Haddadon, self proclaimed king of the gods, became jealous of the beauty of his brother, Usonis’ creations. He, by his righteousness, moved to censure his brother’s dreams. Usonis, wounded by this ill treatment schemed to build his masterpiece beyond his brother’s sight. Through clandestine machinations he caused a dragon’s egg to be misplaced, and blown by the eldritch winds of the source, to a space beyond Haddadon’s sight. There the dragon hatched and began, unfettered, to craft it’s own world. The structure of this dragon’s dream was steered subtly by Usonis’ distant, but masterful hand. "

Given the generosity of my dwarven patrons, I thought the initial presentation of this perspective most prudent. Other views may differ, but the result is much the same.

She wasn’t aware, of course, of the exchange. This dragon. Some call her, Eimshenbaed, some call her Mother. She wasn’t aware that a price must be paid to the elements themselves. Matter can not spring from nothingness. There are gatekeepers. There is an accounting. She did not have the currency of souls necessary to pay. The bill came due, and there was a reckoning. The lords of elemental earth sent their colossal armies to collect. In her panic she did what came naturally. She defended herself. Not with claw and flaming breath, but by raising her own army. Thus were created the titans.

Desperate, violent war wracked the dragon’s dream as the colossi and the titans clashed. Perhaps on a scale unimaginable. This was long long ago you see. We live now in the twilight of the fourth age. (handwritten note in margins: Truly the beginning of the fifth age.) These mythological events occurred in the first, the Age of Weaving. Canyons were gouged and mountains raised in this conflict. Ultimately, alas, the titans were defeated.

The elemental lords held the dragon’s life in their hands, but they offered her a deal. With her power, they informed her, she could create mortals. Beings of finite lifespans inhabited by souls. Souls that were able to absorb and store the precious quintessence of the source. Craft these beings, they told her, and she could repay her debts with the harvest.

Naturally, she acquiesced. What is the value of the life of a single soul, or a thousand, to a god or a dragon when all of existence hangs in the balance? It is difficult for us, mortals, to imagine. But I digress. Woefully. I can sense already that many a reader has begun to stray, and that is acceptable. Perfectly understandable, heads thick with study, and youthful pursuits. Five fathoms down into a bottomless abyss. I write this knowing fully that most readers will rest their heads the forthcoming eve, easily dismissing the old wizard’s rambling folly. How can I reward those of you who have managed to follow me thus far? Perhaps with a badly penned limerick? We tire of those, I can almost hear you say.

The skald’s patron, the demi-god, Baccan, was one of those defeated titans. Contemporary bards, who yet offer Baccan respect, have among their repertoire, ‘The Abduction of Ilquanezza’, a song said to have been written by the drunken demi-god, Baccan, himself in the ancient dragon’s tongue. I will, despite my threats, spare you the lyrics as such. Not entirely due to my dislike of word play, so much as the absolute impenetrability of the archaic verse itself. Paraphrased in brief, the song recounts events along the following lines:

The titans were not mortal themselves, but did bear witness to all of the newly created living things as they withered and died. Generation after generation. The titaness, Sheul ,was empowered to govern the flow of the souls in payment to the elemental lords. This position of power lead her to declare herself queen of all titans. The cruel and greedy titan, Favnir, envied her position and lead an exodus of ambitious warriors away from Sheul’s desert city of Ishan.

This splinter group settled deep within the northern tundra, and in time took on the aspect of their surroundings. They were isolated and lonely, their great forms slowly frozen over. The dark winters were difficult for them to bare. To relieve their suffering they raided Ishan, and abducted the titaness Ilquanezza, goddess of dance, and former lover of Baccan. A bloody conflict ensued. This was the first war between the titans and the frost giants.

On the fall of the old empireScroll HZ0051-021700
Recovered from the catacombs beneath the ruins of the senate library at the center of the remnants of the imperial capitol, Kavaln.
Believed to have been penned by Enzo Sarnoth, Grand Vizier in the Emperor’s Council.
Cira 2875, Seprisian calendar.

Quote:
Many trace the current trend of miscreant sorcery to the “archmagus”, turned traitorous expat, Osceranoric the Liar. The vile wizard described himself as, “Little more than a run of the mill bolt thrower, too lazy to shave and aware of nothing more than my own ignorance, which in my good fortune, has been just enough awareness to keep my mouth shut at dinner parties.” He went on to rudely insult his students, “ I’m doing my best to lift more of this blessed world to my level of ignorance.” The mad mage was revealed to hold bizzare atavistic beliefs, and therefore was disrobed and cast from the Conclave of the Amber Eye. He was recorded as having given the following dangerous statements during a lecture, under a boon tree, before a class of young initiates, “You are not unique. Like the branches on this tree, the geometry at the trunk is the same as the geometry at the bud. You are down here and your Originator, for whom you are an Avatar, is here. Separate, yet you are one and the same. Differently empowered expressions of the same intent. Many of us share a single originator. It is true for nearly all of us here. We are all aspects of gods, and in time we will become one again. Unified in the source.” Blasphemy.

On the CataclysmTome Fragments from the Diaries of Osceranoric
Recovered from the burning of Oscar’s Tower on the walking city of Li Salagh
Penned by the Archmage Demothenus Osceranoric
Circa 2892, Spr. Ten years Post Cataclysm.

Quote:
It was not an outlandish statement issued from an unsound mind. On the contrary, it was part of a rote lecture that I delivered many times a year. If I recall correctly it rambled on thusly, “One cannot simply fly up into the sky in an effort to ascend. The planes do not work that way. Ascension happens here (point to the forehead). It is the coming together of minds that leads to ascension. Then you can move up here (move hand from the bud up to the branching of the twig).

Alodantriel was on the right path, but fumbled.

The monks of Habrini, who strive to unite their minds with the brethren of their order fully understand what ascension is. They are the best organized example of it on this plane. The most remarkable natural example of it is the gnomes. but that is a story for another day.” That such teachings were considered blasphemy is indicative of the mindset that pervaded the inner council at that time.

There was great mirth and celebration among the Knight Host of Kavaln. Relief that the horde been turned back, and the Norngruth demon lord defeated. However the inner council knew that the whispers of Mothgolbnir still lingered in the mind of the emperor, and in the mind of the dragon herself. It was in those days of festival and joy, that the true seeds of the fall of the empire were sown. And it was at that time that I made the hard decisions that led to the cataclysm.

On the city within the Opal Wall
From the historical, Rise of the Four Courts and the Founding of L’Sil.
In the archives of M’perl
Penned by Brother Nooruma, the Mendicant, monk of Habrini.

Quote:
As twilight fell upon the empire of man the curse of creeping green swallowed the last great edifices save but one. A few thousand survivors gathered from several dying civilizations retreated to the mountainous shoulders of a fallen colossus, each culture bore the grand artifacts and darkest secrets of their kind. They brought the mighty construct to life, and for two generations compelled it to flee before the rush of the Green. They were safe atop their walking city. They squabled and feuded, clawing for control of every inch of the colossus, but they survived.
The Green consumed the land, and from the depths of the wyld four great Fey Lords emerged. Seelie courts that were once only transitory whimsies or ephemeral figments became firm locations in the prime, floating on the tide of Green. The Prince of Frost, The Maiden of Blooms, and the Autumn Sage ruled in their courts, unified under the Court of Stars. The Queen of Summer and her beloved King Oberon ruled from the Court of Stars, which remained in the First World. (Hand written note in margin “4th Lord Balor, Court of Shadows?”)

OOCPathenon write up will be up tomorrow. Drawing from Those presented in application backstories and from the titans and gods included above. Thanks for your time! Cheers!

Last edited by end0r; 03-31-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: bad editor, no donut
Old 04-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
Any word on when selections will be made?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7326
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Shandra
right-aligned image
'What is this now...

Where do I find myself on this day ...

...What is all this that we have become ...?'

She catches herself gazing softly off into the wild distance beyond ... A cool breeze suddenly kicks up and tickles her hair playfully, ever-so slightly, just enough to take her worries away. Just enough for a brief and still moment of silence and escape. ~*

"What do you think? Shall I riddle the madman with arrows? No? Oh. Right, perhaps that may be too extreme…well, what shall we do?" Shandra's jarred back to reality suddenly by the swift words of the elven archer. She snaps to, not to worry, that epervesent wisp of the wind must return some day.

Shandra simply turns a calm and loving look back to the archer, her dear friend, Kithfira. You make a very good point, my Dear...

Your elven eyes are keen, and your knocked arrow, precise, but we must not be too zealous here, yes? I have appreciated your stories told, your very troubled past, and I empathize your need for quick caution.

Kithfira was a sudden connection. From the very beginning, Kithfira was kinship. Like sisters, Shandra and the Lady Kithfira immediately saw eye to eye in so many equal ways. Deep, abiding intuitions, similar logical reasoning, poised and delicate focus, and most delightfully-- an undeniable female conviction.

Shandra looks Kithfira dead in the eyes once more, tears beginning to subtly collect, I don't know what has come over me since this new discovery before us. I don't understand why any of this is happening at all. But for some strange reason, some crazy feeling deep within me, that I must reveal and speak out -- I feel you are so right, my friend. This may be our strange destiny, right here before our very eyes...

Vaz the Goblin then breaks in-- Vaz! Thank you for joining us! Shandra is excited to include Vaz, but she keeps her words now to an emphatic whisper. What say you, my charming fellow? Should we see more of this offered to us? Should we trust his words?

Could you slit his legs with that impressive scythe, if he were to steer us awry?

Last edited by WhiteStag; 04-07-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:07 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 158
MarsComulus MarsComulus
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Red Cap
Ancestry/Heritage: Fungus Leshy
Background: Nomad
Class: Leaf Druid

Appearance: Well, Red Cap looks like a humanoid redcap mushroom. The top of his head and his hands are red. Red Cap's face and torso are a fungus tan. His multiple legs look like long green roots. Red Cap's face has multiple eyes much akin to a spider. He stands four feet tall and weighs sixty five pounds.

Personality: "Ready to try anything once," pretty much sums up Red Cap. He's very observant, cool and aloof. Unpretentious with hands on practicability Red Cap is ready for whatever happens.

History: Red Cap's small family has been the keepers of the fungus caves for the small dwarven hall of clan Blackhammer. One fall a huge band of orcs and wargs baked by a half-dozen ogres broke into the clanhold with the intent of talking it for their own. Of the over hundred dwarves but a dozen remained and of his family only Red Cap. Forced to flee into the upper world he had never seen before, Red Cap had to learn to make do. He has been wandering the area for years now. Red Cap recently joined up with a group of fellow travelers and entered a valley, having been forced to flee from their campsite by some strange beast.

[SPOILERBUTTON="CharSheet"]
Red Cap

TRAITS: Leshy, Plant, Small
Ancestry Leshy (Fugus) Background Nomad Class Druid 1
Strength (+) Dexterity (+) Constitution (12) Intelligence (+) Wisdom 16() Charisma (+)ff
Perception WIS +4, T +2= +6 Languages Common, Sylvan
DEFENSES Hit Points 16 Armor Class -- Fortitude CON +, T+= Reflex DEX +, T WIS +4 E +2= +6
SPELLS Spell Attack Roll WIS +4, T +2= +6 DC WIS +4, T +2=16
OPTIONS Ancestry Feat Your size and demeanor make it easy for you to convince others that you mean no harm. You gain the Shameless Request skill feat as a bonus feat. Additionally, you gain a +1 circumstance bonus to initiative checks when you roll Deception for initiative.HARMLESSLY CUTE FEAT 1 LESHY

SKILLS Bonus Feat You can downplay the consequences or outrageousness of your requests using sheer brazenness and charm. When you Request something, you reduce any DC increases for making an outrageous request by 2, and if you roll a critical failure for your Request, you get a failure instead. While this means you can never cause your target to reduce their attitude toward you by making a Request, they eventually tire of requests, even though they still have a positive attitude toward you.SHAMELESS REQUEST FEAT 7 SKILL
Bonus Feat Even in the worst circumstances, you can perform basic tasks. Choose a skill you’re trained in. You can forgo rolling a skill check for that skill to instead receive a result of 10 + your proficiency bonus (do not apply any other bonuses, penalties, or modifiers).ASSURANCE FEAT 1 FORTUNE GENERAL SKILL

LANGUAGES: Common, Druidic, Sylvan
Gear-
Worn -
Ready-
Stowed-

ATTACKS Trained in simple weapons Trained in unarmed attacks
DEFENSES Trained in light armor Trained in medium armor Trained in unarmored defense
CLASS DC Trained in druid class DC
SPELLS Trained in primal spell attacks Trained in primal spell DCs

You can see in darkness and dim light just as well as you can see in bright light, though your vision in darkness is in black and white.DARKVISION The power of the wild world flows through you. You can cast primal spells using the Cast a Spell activity, and you can supply material, somatic, and verbal components when casting spells (see Casting Spells on page 302). Because you’re a druid, you can usually hold a primal focus (such as holly and mistletoe) for spells requiring material components instead of needing to use a spell component pouch.
At 1st level, you can prepare two 1st-level spells and five cantrips each morning from the common spells on the primal spell list in this book (page 314), or from other primal spells to which you gain access. Prepared spells remain available to you until you cast them or until you prepare your spells again. The number of spells you can prepare is called your spell slots. As you increase in level as a druid, the number of spells you can prepare each day increases, as does the highest level of spell you can cast, as shown in Table 3–11: Druid Spells per Day on page 132.,Some of your spells require you to attempt a spell attack roll to see how effective they are, or have your enemies roll against your spell DC (typically by attempting a saving throw). Since your key ability is Wisdom, your spell attack rolls and spell DCs use your Wisdom modifier. Details on calculating these statistics appear on page 447".
Primal Spellcasting When you gain spell slots of 2nd level and higher, you can fill those slots with stronger versions of lower-level spells. This increases the spell’s level, heightening it to match the spell slot. Many spells have specific improvements when they are heightened to certain levels.Heightened Spell A cantrip is a special type of spell that doesn’t use spell slots. You can cast a cantrip at will, any number of times per day. A cantrip is always automatically heightened to half your level rounded up—this is usually equal to the highest level of spell you can cast as a druid. For example, as a 1st-level druid, your cantrips are 1st-level spells, and as a 5th-level druid, your cantrips are 3rd level spells.Cantrips As stewards of the natural order, druids find affronts to nature anathema. If you perform enough acts that are anathema to nature, you lose your magical abilities that come from the druid class, including your primal spellcasting and the benefits of your order. These abilities can be regained only if you demonstrate your repentance by conducting an atone ritual (page 409).
The following acts are anathema to all druids:
• Using metal armor or shields. • Despoiling natural places. • Teaching the Druidic language to non-druids.
Each druidic order also has additional anathema acts, detailed in the order’s entry.
Anathema
You know Druidic, a secret language known to only druids, in addition to any languages you know through your ancestry. Druidic has its own alphabet. Teaching the Druidic language to non-druids is anathema.Druidic Language Upon becoming a druid, you align yourself with a druidic order, which grants you a class feat, an order spell (see below), and an additional trained skill tied to your order. While you’ll always be a member of your initial order, it’s not unheard of for a druid to request to study with other orders in search of greater understanding of the natural world, and PC druids are among the most
likely to blend the powers of different orders. Order spells are a type of focus spell. It costs 1 Focus Point to cast a focus spell, and you start with a focus pool of 1 Focus Point. You refill your focus pool during your daily preparations, and you can regain 1 Focus
Point by spending 10 minutes using the Refocus activity to commune with local nature spirits or otherwise tend to the wilderness in a way befitting your order. Focus spells are automatically heightened to half your level rounded up, much like cantrips. Focus spells don’t
require spell slots to cast, and you can’t cast them using spell slots. Selecting druid feats can give you more focus spells and increase the size of your focus pool, though your focus pool can never hold more than 3 points. The full rules for focus spells appear in Chapter 7 on
page 300.
Druidic Order You revere plants and the bounty of nature, acting as
both a gardener and warden for the wilderness, teaching
sustainable techniques to communities, and helping
areas regrow after disasters or negligent humanoid
expansion. You are trained in Diplomacy. You also gain
the Leshy Familiar druid feat. You gain the goodberry
order spell, and you increase the number of Focus
Points in your focus pool by 1. Committing wanton
cruelty to plants or killing plants unnecessarily is
anathema to your order. (This doesn’t
prevent you from defending yourself
against plants or harvesting them
when necessary for survival.)
Leaf Order

Last edited by MarsComulus; Yesterday at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 AM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
I have the game forum now. I'll set it all up in the morning. Very eager to have you all in. Thanks for the interest!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 PM
story teller

Tools
User Statistics
end0r end0r
Looks like the following players are on board?

DaniLore
Ericg1s
Delpinator
Vicorin
Whitestag
MarsComulus

We can run this such that those who are less active can fade in and out of the group of refugees. I am new to this, as is most likely painfully obvious, and I don't think I need to add player names to join the forum?

Here is the game forum link https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18600

I'm adding character threads now, and I'll start the narrative thread when I've finished. Thank you for joining the game!

If I have missed anyone, or if you're interested in playing, please respond here!

Last edited by end0r; 04-03-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3389
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
I am still interested however work and life have been crazy over the last few days. Still working on character; staying away from animal side of things. Understand if I am to late.

Edit: Loved the redcap character.

App
left-aligned image

Pluck Flowers
Ancestry: Goblin
Background Field Medic
Class: Druid (Wild Order)
Height: 2'11"
Weight: 41

Last edited by Kshnik; 04-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.