DnD5e Slaughter at Veneration Square - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 05:53 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Slaughter at Veneration Square

Game NameSlaughter at Veneration Square
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeYoung people surviving in large city scape. You moved here or grew up here but life is not what it used to be. During the war things fell over.
FlavourStarting with Mass Combat with likely PvP elements
Plot Summary

The Slaughter at Veneration Square

Applications closed.

Montrose was once vibrant and beautiful. Merchant’s always made money, the economy was booming, unemployment was nearly non-existent. The ruling class were kind enough to the free folk and taxes were light. Baron Ostwall had a great marketing system for tourism bringing new people to the city on his ships from all over the world. The city was one of the most diverse areas on the kingdom.

Then Civil war came to the city and everything went to crap. As taxes went up and businesses failed. Due to the lack of resources and materials being redirected from the city for the war effort more businesses failed. The Draft took many of the young men and capable women shipping them out never to return. More businesses failed. Less people came to Montrose and yet more businesses failed. Buildings were abandoned as people left the city looking for greener pastures. The streets that once had children giggling in now aren’t safe to play in. The civil war split the house of Baron Ostwall (not evenly and not into just 2 sides) many killing each other off in deadly power games. With the Ostwalls out of power and the war lost slowly other powerful people rose to the top of what was left carving out nefarious empires. It turns out the Late Baron Ostwall managed to keep the more unsavory wealthy in check but that is no longer the case.

You and a few others in your street have banded together to do whatever you need to survive. Even though you may not name it so crudely you’ve been pushed by circumstances into a street gang. Others, and maybe even yourself, call them an “economic community” or “business collective”. Of recent things have been getting out of control, some of the other street gangs have been clashing violently. The polite unspoken rules are being broken. The lines around territories are being tested and pushed, cutting in on other’s livelihoods. Because of the degradation “in inter-business communication”, as a messenger put it, all the street gangs have been called to meeting in Veneration Square to draw up a treaty.

This is where we start our game:

You have arrived on time, you and the others from your street are watching to see what happens. Looking around the square with the rubble of the old slave market in the centre. You can see all of the street gangs represented. Then with an outcry of pain and shock everything turns south real quick. You notice that the crew from Elm Row are all ducking for cover as one of their own is slumped over on a barrel with a bolt in her back. Then the Filluel Street boys. who already looked green, start puking red foam. With that the red dragonborn crew from Park Hill Street charge at their closest rivals (Rattrat St) and the Slaughter of Veneration Square begins…

As chaos gives way to battle it is obvious that unless you do something right now tomorrow instead of desperate rivals you'll have strong enemies.

Can you and yours survive the battle that will be named The Slaughter at Veneration Square ?

MechanicsHow this game will work:
This is going to be a mass battle to start with, including PvP. Then if there are survivors, and you want to continue on you may move into a sandbox style game.

Character build:
Level 2

At this point only weapons you can hide under clothes. No long swords, great axes, long bows or heavy cross bows. Going to a meeting armed like that is suspicious... you obviously regret that decision now

Money, turn any Gp you get from your back ground into Silver pieces (Not the normal conversion rate. If your background allows 15gp the it becomes 15sp ration of 1:1). If you gain gear in you class you may sell it and purchase different weapons more suitable to street warfare.

Max Hit points for level 1 & 2

Classes: Any published source or Unearthed Arcana.

Race: Any published source or Unearthed Arcana – However if you are wanting to continue please take into consideration that humans are the most common as well as plenty of the PHB races and Goblins. Monstrous races aren’t shunned away like in other cities but they do stand out... especially flying races. Going forward an Aarokokra will be remembered and recognised but another goblin, easily forgotten

Application: If you just want to play the Slaughter of Veneration square all I require is...
Name:
Race:
Class:
Back ground:
(not back story, this style of play is purely mechanical)
I'll place players into a street gang to try and balance out the parties.

However if you hope to survive and build a lasting character that has goals in mind and play in a true Sandbox (Truly a character driven game) then I would also like.

Back story:
• Particularly if you were drafted into or went to war and how you survived. Or, how did you get out of the civil war.
• What is your motivation for joining the street gang? Greed or your children which you need to provide for, etc.
Character goals:
• Do you want to build for yourself an empire in Montrose, do you want to escape and go adventuring, do you need to clear debts then buy a farm and settle down. This is important for the sandbox game.
• How you see your character fulfilling those goals. This will help me form a game you'll be interested in.

If you wish to play a longer game the I will place you with a group of PCs who also would like to continue playing and have similar goals.

Extra credit: role play sample of the day after the slaughter addressing what you'd like to do from this point... assuming your character survives.
Anything from Revenge to abandoning Montrose for a life of adventuring is plausible. When I say sandbox, I mean sandbox. You can attempt anything, whether the dice gods permit is between you and them

Opening Scene MechanicsHow the Slaughter at Veneration Square will work:
Like any other combat. Main differences are that there will not be an initiative order. I know if isn’t fair to those dex based characters but this is the best way forward in games like this via PbP.
Each round everybody will post as they are able to. To prevent people from waiting until the end the first 5 posters of every round will gain a temporary 3hp. The first 3 posters will receive a point of inspiration. These are proper posts not just WIP. The first 5 finished posts and please, add some flare and description to them. If you are always first and your posts consist of Blabla attacks that dude from Elm Row with my cross bow. Then your character is likely to earn the wrath of all NPCs just so no one as to read your boring posts any more. (Yes as a DM I am that petty... every DM is just most won’t admit it. ) In truth i'm not that brutal but i want to get across that I want this to be a quality game even if you're just in for the short one shot and not the longer sandbox game

If three nat 20 ranged attacks are made against one character in a single round it will be at the end of the round when they die not immediately. This does mean that they might get an action after they’d normally be dead (DM shrugs shoulders), again t'is the media through which we choose to play. It also may mean that two attacks were unnecessarily wasted on a character who only had 1hp left. This at least I have a better argument for, at least the thematically anyway. Each round is only 6 seconds. A whole lot of crap happens in 6 seconds. Adrenaline may carry you through, but also when you take the battle mechanics out everything would be happening at once not having turns to run there then back over there while everybody watches you. Real battle isn’t like combat in warcraft where the soldiers just take turns hitting each other until the first one dies, it is more fluid than that.

The map I have is basic, just a Google spreadsheet. But that allows anyone to maneuver their icon to where it needs to be. Before we start the game I’ll give you grid locations where you may move your character icon within, then after that it will be up to you to move your character using the honour system.

When moving diagonally we will be using the 5ft, 10ft, 5ft 10ft rule.

There is cover on the map to hide behind. You should be able to see if the character you are targeting is behind something draw a straight line, a vivid and ruler on your screen will do, (or just your eyes if you want) if any part of your square can see any part of your targets on a straight line they have partial cover. If you can’t see them then it is full cover.
Partial = +2 to AC
Full = you can’t hit them.

You can “Hold Action" if you want but that does not carry on into the next round, purley because of the initiative order problem
ie: “I hold my action waiting for the goblin to move into my line of fire”. If the goblin is content hiding there then your move was used to ensure the goblin does not enter the battle. Keeping someone pinned down may just help your team.

For this game I'd love Co-DMs if others want to test their skills, even if it is to run another gang for me during the battle.

Last edited by Xalnaga; 04-01-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Applications:

Player Character Race Class Complete
FatherDondo DCN (Deacon) Awakened Flesh Golem Barbarian Complete
MJB Ivolandir "Ivo" High Elf Artificer Complete
UncleDobbin Terrapyn "the Terrible" Tortle Barbarian I want to get under the shell a bit more on this one
DialPforPickles Shiver LeVerve Teifling Sorcerer/Bard
KarlCullinane Xhar Half-Orc Fighter Complete
Silent Rain Castro Human Warlock Complete
triedtherest Nagini Yuan-ti Pureblood Sorcerer/Cleric I think we should shed some skin on this one
Mairien Miz'ri Drow Sorcerer Complete
voodoozombie Jackie Human Warlock Been talking in PM for this one, looking forward to it.
Hiruma Kohaku Torell Lancaster Human Warlock Complete
Arjent Caythar Stoneseeker Svirfneblin Rogue/Wizard Great character but let's mine it some more
theclaytster Alice Bien Human Wizard (Necromancer) Amazing App but still got a few things we can dig up.
The Rat Queen Caelynn Holimion High Elf Fighter/Rogue Can't sneak away you've got to fight through the reviews

Last edited by Xalnaga; 03-27-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1507
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
I have a question about character building.

What methods of stat generation will be used?

Also if we sell starting equipment, will it be for half of it's original price?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Voodoo!

You can use ye'old point buy.
Rolling is preferred. In one grouping you must have at least two stats of 15 or higher. Also regardless of how good you roll you must have a dump stat of 8.

And yes you may sell your equipment for half its value as in the PHB or DMG in gp.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:52 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 584
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
left-aligned image
Name: DCN (Deacon)
Race: Awakened Flesh Golem
Class: Barbarian (Path of the Zealot)
Back ground: Awakened Flesh Golem
Back story:
• A young cleric of The Mother, unwillingly drafted into the war, was too slow and indecisive during a training exercise. This lead to his accidental death. Rather than waste a fresh brain, it was hastily implanted into one of the flesh golems being produced en mass for the war effort. Quite a bit was lost of the cleric's memories, but his resentment remained. He didn't believe in pointless bloodshed, and he saw no purpose in this war. Upon completion, the golems were each presented with a bowl full of tiles. They were instructed to choose three, and this would be their new designation. This particular golem picked D, C, & N, which were then tattooed on his chest. What the necromancers who created him did not know was that some remnant of the cleric's power was circulating through DCN's brain, slowing healing it of death trauma.

DCN went along with what he was told until he saw an opportunity to escape: his unit of six shock troopers was ordered to march into a dense forest for a sneak attack on the enemy. His squad-mates became confused and attacked each other. DCN took this opportunity to lose himself in the woods. He snuck into a wagon on the road, hiding under a blanket until he reached a village outside of Montrose. He got practiced at being stealthy as most encounters with people ended up with things being thrown at him. He'd "found" a whip in a stable and some small axes in a shed. He hadn't had the nerve to use them at the time, but the threat seemed to have kept the worst away from him when things went sour. This changed when he bumped into a baker, a widow named Greta, who'd caught him stealing bread. Seeing his designation, DCN, she decided that this was no name for a man; instead, she told him that his name was Deacon, and invited him inside. "Deacon" wasn't sure what to make of this, but it felt right having an actual name, and Greta was the first person to show him kindness. She kept him out of sight in the basement and supplied him with food, books, and conversation.
• What is your motivation for joining the Fingall Street gang?
After Greta died, there was no one to feed him, let him out, or even tell anyone he was down there. Greta had never been more than an hour late before, and was becoming increasingly more worried. After a couple of nerve-wracking days he finally punched through a weak spot in the wall, inadvertently breaking into the Fingall gang's hideout. Greta had allowed them the space and supplied them with food. Things were tense at first, but his familiarity with Greta helped them to come around to the idea that he was telling the truth about his circumstances. The gang's leader told him that one of their rivals had killed Greta in retribution for helping them and not revealing where they were. This was the last straw, this was what pushed a gentle, healing soul to a path of violence. Greta was the kindest woman he'd ever met in this life and, unknown to him now, in his last. They offered him a place in the gang and a chance to avenge Greta. With ragged, shaking breaths, Deacon accepted. He would worship the Mother not as the Mistress of Life, but of Death.

Character goals:
• Deacon lost his chance to determine his own destiny in his last life, and wants a second chance at it. He's not sure what he'd planned for himself in his last life except being a mage, and that might be beyond him now; he couldn't quite remember how the spells were supposed to work and the outcomes were... unpredictable. Perhaps he could try again another day. In the meantime, Deacon's decided he would like to try something "normal," like trying his hand at baking and taking over Greta's shop.
• How you see your character fulfilling those goals.
As much as Deacon wants to be independent, he's easily swayed by the people around him, especially those who are nice to him. He believes that working for the gang will get him the money he would need to run the shop. He hasn't quite figured out the whole "working with people" thing, but the leader of the gang said he'd work something out, whatever that means.

😤I have taken the Oath of Sangus😤

Last edited by FatherDondo; 03-24-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4775
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
I'm not sure what I think of a potentially very interesting roleplaying game where the participation condition is that my character first has to survive some much-less-interesting mass combat + PvP... It's a confusing mix because the target audiences seem to me to be very different.

Last edited by Mairien; 03-22-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:15 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2370
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Name: Ivolandir "Ivo" Camnin
Race: High Elf
Class: Artificer
Back ground: Guild Artisan (modified)
Alignment: Neutral good
Deity: God of Creation. Only a nominal worshiper. Keeps a symbol but prays rarely.

left-aligned image

Backstory: Ivo's story starts a couple decades before the war even began. He was an apprentice enchanter and craftsman for the House of Annastis after his time at the university. His family had ties to one of it's branch families. He was happy there and took great pride in his work. He also had a strong work ethic and sense of honor. This ultimately led to end of his time with the family and his reputation. He had discovered that on of the master craftsman of the House's guild had actually been embezzling from the family. Taking taking more then was needed for the components, cutting corners to cut costs and then pocketing the extra. He informed his own master about it and asked for advice and help in righting this wrong... It did not go as planned. See what Ivo didn't know is that his own master was also doing much the same and was in cahoots. They couldn't let him blow the whistle and had to make sure no one would investigate them. Now to his masters minor credit he wasn't a murderer. So Ivo wasn't killed off. No instead they slandered him, lied about his abilities, and generally made him out to be a charlatan and a fraud. His reputation was destroyed and he was cast out from his home and employment. He just barely managed to dodge slavery. His masters even managed to pull some strings and call some favors to his license and name erased from the register so he couldn't legally work as an enchanter. This would later prove a blessing. As no one knew he could do more then simply make mundane items.

He landed in the gutter. He survived by doing minor repair jobs and commissions in the poorer parts of town. Eventually he managed to start picking himself back up. He even found love. A human women named Kare. She was a black smith. He was kinda a blacksmith. They both lived in the bad part of town. It just worked. Especially since she (having been a soldier when she was younger) decided that she needed to toughen up her skinny elf partner and taught him how to survive.

They never had children but did adopt a couple of street urchins as their own. Aila and Charn. When war came their small business failed. Kare got drafted but Ivo was put to work in one of the workshops in town making guns and other weapons. It was noticed that he could make guns and do to the need for craftsmen no one really cares that he was no longer on the register. It also meant they could pay him less since he was technically illegal.

Kare never came back. He has no idea what happened to her. He doesn't expect to see her again. After the war they had no shop anymore. It was impossible to maintain with Kare gone and the military accepting the non-voluntary "donation" of their materials. But he still had some kids and himself to take care of. So he joined the gang. He has no real goals besides making a good life for him and them. He can't work as a legal enchanter but that is not really a problem what with the whole "gang" thing now anyways. But materials are expensive. He is going to need some capital and and solid black market connections to make it work.

Short Term Goals: Get a lot of money. His reason is to get the kids out of the city and someplace more stable. Maybe join a caravan or something. If Montrose calms down then he may opt to stay. But unlikely.

Long Term Goals: He always took they Sky Port as a personal challenge. Flying ships don't exist yet.

Personality: While still possessing the sense of honor he used to have, the past couple decades have jaded his personality. He is pragmatic, frugal, very slow to trust and has little patience for authority or those who consider themselves "above" him but will not seek to harm or betray someone who has not threatened him and his in some way.

Notable NPC's:
Aila:
Human female Urchin around 12 years old.
Charn: Male half orc child around 9 years old.

The kids were street urchins who tried to rob Ivo and Kare's shop a few years ago. They got caught but the couple liked them and decided to just keep them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ivo (2).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	83555  

Last edited by mjb; 03-24-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2370
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Okay. So I made a character that uses a gun. The only gun I can find from official sources that he could afford with your rules is the palm pistol from dndbeyond. That cool? I figure I drop the explosive feature it is a decent enough starter.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:00 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1003
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
@Xalnaga
I would like to throw my hat in the ring for the warlock class. I’ll reserve my selection of race and background for after your PM on your proposal.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4775
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalnaga View Post
You can use ye'old point buy.
Rolling is preferred. In one grouping you must have at least two stats of 15 or higher. Also regardless of how good you roll you must have a dump stat of 8.
Can you spell this out for dumb me? I'm not sure I fully get it. What do you mean by "one grouping"? And is the 15 or higher before or after racial modification? And how do I get an 8 if I don't roll one? I just set the lowest roll to 8, or what's the procedure?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm hoping there's a redistribution until something's 8, because I just did a stat roll, and I think it's the best I've ever done, lol.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8
UncleDobbin
Name: Terrapyn "the Terrible"
Race: Tortle
Class: Barbarian (Path of the Beast)
Back ground: Urchin
Back story:
• His earliest memories are from the time he was a resident of the University, where students used him as the subject of various experiments. When the university closed, he was left to his own devices. As his consciousness grew he made his way out onto the streets to scrounge out a livelihood as he could. As he grew it became increasingly difficult to stay unnoticed, so he retreated to the old sewers to live, going out at night to scrounge for food and odd jobs. While living in the sewers, he was able to make some friends among the dwarves and goblins living there. He did not fight in the civil wars, as nobody considered trying to conscript a giant turtle.

He may or may not be an actual Tortle. He is just as likely to be the result of a magical experiment as he is to have been born this way. He is not the happy go lucky Tortle type, but is much more primal. Whether that is his nature or the result of a life on the streets is anybody's guess.

Character goals:
• Terrapyn secretly longs to be accepted as a member, if not a leader, of a social group. He has never met another Tortle, so he believes that his only opportunity is to become a member of some social organization made up of other races. The main things standing in his way are the obvious fact that he is a giant turtle and the fact that he puts his own survival as his first priority.
• How you see your character fulfilling those goals.
His first step is to find a group that will accept him and find a way to make himself useful.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2284
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
So you allowing homebrewed races and classes?
Old 03-22-2020, 04:55 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Wow, Hi there guys. Thank you for your interest in this weird idea of mine.

FatherDondo: I got my wires crossed in amongst me world building and map making. Fryatt St was an early draft. That street name is Fingall street. I’ll be flicking you a PM to try and flesh out your character.

Mairien: You are right, for a player wanting the long haul why would you risk a character that you made yourself fall in love with in a mass combat at the start. I have a few thoughts on that.
1) When I say sandbox I do I mean it. When it goes south your first action may be “screw this, let them fight it out.” Then you leave. That is perfectly reasonable. The only issue with that is what will this fight mean for the inter-gang dynamics going forward.
2) I will allow you to leave your character at home and play as one of the weaker NPCs if you wish. Each gang does have NPCs attached to it.

As to the rolling here is an example:
If you roll 16,15,13,12,12,11 you add your racial modifiers on top of this great set of rolls. But I want you to have at least one dump stat which forces you to rely on your party. You’d probably turn the 11 into an 8.
A bad set would be like: 15,14,14,12,10,8 there is only one number 15 or over.
As per the site rules, please no rolling here. There will be a rolling thread in game so we can finish our characters up.

UncleDobbin: thanks for your app. A magical experiment resulting in a Tortle is a cool idea. Just to let you know that Tortles may not be super common in Montrose but being a Port city they aren’t unheard of.

Clawsome: Nice to see you again. I’m up for talking what have you got for me. Who knows your race might be as common as Goblins here in Montrose
Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry, derped on that being a site rule. I can only claim night shift fatigue