Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 11:15 PM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4323
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
Making PDF Character Sheets Work

Hello, friends.

I hit a tech bump setting up the campaign I'm creating using the Fragged Empire system. FE offer interactive PDF character sheets, which is awesome. However, I'm not sure how to make this accessible through RGPX. I started to translate the character sheet into a BB table that players could spoilerbutton, but these sheets are pretty long, and updating the tables might be a pain for the players.

The only other option I could think of is a shared Google Drive folder, but I don't want to do that in the interest of keeping IRL identities hidden.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 12:34 AM
Obviously Defective

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13192
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
As one who has experience with the insanity that is full BBCode character sheets, I can second your assessment of their limitations. They can look pretty good if put together well, but they require exacting attention to detail in order to maintain and that's more than a lot of folks want to invest in their Play-by-Post.

Are you looking for a sheet that is visible within a player's posts, or are you just looking to have easy access to them?
Alive. Insufficient useful time to consider gaming. Finally getting over the overwhelming anxiety monster. Mission objective: maintain current disposition through June 10, 2021 and reevaluate availability.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72312
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Maybe I don't understand the issue (other than yeah, you can't make a 50,000 line BBcode table). Can everyone just link to their character sheets, like you would link to a spell description? Or does that not solve the problem?
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4323
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
Ah, yeah, I could have mentioned those details.

The problem with FE sheets is that they have to be updated pretty regularly. So, I need a way to allow the players to make changes to their PDF sheets as needed and then share those updated sheets with the campaign. Rather than having them upload a new copy of their character sheet every time they need to make a change, I'm looking for a way for them to go into their sheets between posts, change their info, and have that new sheet be automatically visible to me and the rest of the party.

Perhaps I can make a smaller BBcode table for the information that gets changed more frequently, with a link to the rest of their sheet included at the bottom. But if I could find a way to share live-updated PDF files, that would be aces.

Last edited by Lashiec; Feb 16th, 2021 at 08:28 AM.