I have a question about Explosive Runes - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Questions and Site Discussions
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2021, 03:56 PM
Vagabond/Scoundrel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 190
CoalCrystal CoalCrystal
I have a question about Explosive Runes

I would like to know what program or app you use to make the PDFs for Explosive Runes. I've only used google docs(doesn't translate well to pdf)... though I do have a linux program called Scribus witch I must say feel daunting to use on a samsung chromebook plus(ARM processor). I have a Syllabus/Synopsis PDF I have made for my game, but the layout is all wonky and non professional looking. And I want interested parties to enjoy reading it as they do your PDFs of Explosive Runes. So as to whether or not You mind sharing your trade secrets, well I'm all eyes?
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:43 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25421
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Hey CoalCrystal -

You'll never get a decent looking pdf out of google docs. And that's not your fault, Google and Adobe don't want to be friends.

In the past both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Publisher have been used. The most recent issues were made using Adobe's InDesign which is a fantastic, albeit unreasonably expensive, program. Now, I no longer have access to InDesign through work, so I will be using a myriad of different free programs to find one I like to replace it, and Scribus is on that list.

If you don't have access to any paid programs, you can try OpenOffice, which is an alternative to Word but I've never used it for making PDFs so I don't know how well they'll turn out but I imagine it will be comparable to using Word.

Hope this helps,

Wodine
Editor-in-chief

Last edited by wodine; May 22nd, 2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 77584
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Word worked well for a while, but one note of caution... if you begin to create too many text boxes and begin to layer too many of them with big graphics, funky things can begin to happen, and word can begin to lose cohesion.

I publish a LOT of things in Word, and it works fine for most everything.

But, the last issue I tried to lay out in word here, I was exploring a lot of cool functions. Trying to use a background text box, with overlay boxes with varying transparencies, fonts and colors. Then, working with some large images on top as well. Things were okay to start, but as I began to reach pages 28, 30, etc, stuff started going wonky. Word did not seem to respond well to changes and edits, and adding new background images caused previous pages to shift, lose text boxes, etc.. I think I was asking too much of a word processor to be a magazine layout editor around that point.

I routinely publish things in the 12 to 18 GB range, I stretch things to get some 60 GB files, and I once made a whopper of a 112 GB Word document (lots of images). But trying to do too much and too large was unwieldy and didn't work for me.

But.. for simple and small complex things, I love Word. Just don't ask it to compete with Vanity Fair or anything.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 11:13 PM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6326
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Consider a look at web-based desktop publishing platforms FatPaint and LucidPress. They have free and paid versions. Nothing runs locally so the chromebook's lack of oomph doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCrystal View Post
I would like to know what program or app you use to make the PDFs for Explosive Runes. I've only used google docs(doesn't translate well to pdf)... though I do have a linux program called Scribus witch I must say feel daunting to use on a samsung chromebook plus(ARM processor). I have a Syllabus/Synopsis PDF I have made for my game, but the layout is all wonky and non professional looking. And I want interested parties to enjoy reading it as they do your PDFs of Explosive Runes. So as to whether or not You mind sharing your trade secrets, well I'm all eyes?