User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Headgames010 Headgames010 Headgames010 Headgames010
Ravenloft: Misthaven

Game NameRavenloft: Misthaven
Game SystemD&D 3.5 old-school
ThemeFantasty, Survival
FlavourEvil, Horror
Plot SummaryThe characters start out on a ship off of the Sword Coast in Faerun.

Your ship is attacked in the open sea by pirates, but you and the crew manage to fight them off and survive. But in the process the ship gets badly damaged and starts to sink. A dense fog makes it almost impossible to see where you are or where you are going. The only crew left alive are the PCs.

This is where the adventure begins. During the fight with the pirates the PCs have entered Ravenloft, but they don't know it.

Characters start at 3rd level. We'll roll for characters rolling [b] 4d6, reroll the lowest and take the best three. Do this 12 times. Arrange to taste. You can be of any race/class available to the Forgotten Realms except No prestige classes or extended source material without me oking it first please. I would like more vanilla style characters and not a huge fan of all the source material available. The important thing is I can picture the class/race in my campaign world. Like I can make up stories, backgrounds, relatable npcs and the like. If I can't I'd rather not have the class race.

You lost all your possessions in the fight/shipwreck. You have weapons and spellsbooks or things of that nature still on you.

Last edited by Headgames010; Nov 24th, 2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 06:58 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3855
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Interesting. I do have a question!

You're doing this in Pathfinder? Isn't this a 5e game or 3rd edition dnd? I ask because I have NO idea what pathfinder race/class combos are available in Faerun.

I'd be willing to make an app, I just need to understand before I get my gears turning.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
Name: Tamori Tenkazu
Class: Monk 2/Shugenja 1
Element; Earth
Home City; Nathlan, in the Dragon Coast of Faerun has Kara-Tur Shou residents which are refugees from Kara-Tur. per Forgotten Realms.

right-aligned image

Rolls

Last edited by Sarge67; Nov 25th, 2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ya 3.5 rules. You can use either 3.5 or Pathfinder. Just use 3.5 make it easy No 5th thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Even Evil works
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:59 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Some ideas you could be mercenaries or adventurers hired to protect a shipment of goods. Or you could be a nobleperson booking passage from Waterdeep to Amn or Calimshan. Like an exotic character like a monk or desert barbarian noble type. Could be a hired wizard from the Magister and Protector's guild outlet in Waterdeep or Silverymoon. Can be an elf on the way to Evermeet. Can be thieves who heard rumors of a floating island with mass amounts of treasure... Could be a drow trying quickly to travel over land to a stronghold in the Sothern continent and you're starting to get surface sick. Could be a spooky necromancer or pirate (rogue) in disguise infiltrating the cargo ship from the inside.

Last edited by Headgames010; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 12:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3781
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Here is an idea for a character I want to try -- but only if you are going with a non-evil party. If you want to accept an evil PC consider this not-a-fit and withdrawn.

Eddi - Halfling Orace
Name: Eddi
right-aligned image

Class: Oracle/3 (Spirit Guide)
Race Halfling, Age: 33, Gender: Male
Traits: Helpful, Axe-to-grind
Alternate racial traits: Fleet of foot, Underfoot
Oracle mystery: Succor
Oracle’s curse: Possessed
Feats: Spirit Ridden, Power Attack
Alignment: Neutral Good
Role in party: Support caster, melee defender, down-time skillmonger
Religion: Worships the halfling pantheon, esp. Yondalla and Arvoreen
Literary inspiration: Oedipus Rex

Some people are just too sensitive for their own good. Eddi was born to parents Laius and Yoka, in a bustling city’s halfling slum. From earlier than he could remember, Eddi could hear spirits of the dead, and he listed with a compassionate heart toward their stories. Right away, this marked him as odd. While inherently cheerful and warm-hearted by nature, he was often shunned. He often did favors for the dead, helping them complete tasks left undone in life, such as he could with his small hands. He took such delight in being helpful that it quickly grew toward being a dominant theme in his life, indeed, shaping his future. He grew clever, as well, in scouting out the spirits, understanding quickly that while most were rather sad, but safe -- there were worse kinds that he, mostly instinctively, could avoid. But it was a burden, too, being exposed to so much knowledge, so much sadness, as just a tiny little youth.

His father, Lauis was a hard-drinking carpenter and craftsman, who specialized in repairing hard-to-reach places on buildings -- such as statuary on temples, engravings on the houses of the rich, and monuments. Laius was a bit of a lawless rogue, bristling with resentments at common mistreatments of urban halflings, of being treated as second class citizens. He made a side living using his contract work as an opportunity to case buildings and sell opportunities to shadowy figures in the city’s underground.

His mother, Yoka, was remarkable. Rare among halflings, she was especially tall, strong, and served in the town militia as a competent soldier. As with many halflings, she was upright, honest, loyal -- a model citizen. She held her own among much larger bailiffs and guardsmen, and won their grudging respect. Eddi began to take after her, in stature and natural talents -- and in his teens she drilled him, giving him basic training: proud that her boy might someday take after. The only flaw? He was too sensitive-- starting and things she could not hear, bursting into tears or anxieties for no reason that Yoka could discern.

Meanwhile … the relationship between Lauis and Yoka was tempestuous. They loved each other passionately, but they quarreled often and hotly over politics -- and the treatment of halflings but humans. As Lauis drank more over the years, his rage toward ill-treatment of any halfling only grew: while Yoka always counseled patience, hold back, be the model minority, support law and placate or humor the rough, because humans for the most part weren’t really that bad.

Two separate points came to crisis at the same time.

Eddi had never learned to swim, but he had struck up a friendship with a dead girl who had loved to swim, and was quite good at it! He was halfway smitten with the young spirit lass, and … after a long time of conversation and meditation, focusing on her he invited her in. He opened his heart and mind, and she came to reside in him, for about an hour. He for the first time went swimming, fearlessly and skillfully. That was … stunning, a revelation. The world was full of spirits, and that was an open door to all kinds of knowledge, of perspectives on life! And he could share his life with them … so many were so eager to live again, if only for a little while, vicariously. But it was scary, too! He found himself saying, and doing, and feeling things that were … them … not him.

Eddi heard his mom and dad arguing more fiercely than ever. Oh, it made his soul ache. He could not help but listen in.

"This is absurd, outrageous, illegal! You should have never done it!" she was shouting, in railing accusation.

"Ah, but I have to. We need the gold, so many of our people are poor, hungry, living in squalor."

"Oh, it’s not about them! It’s about you! You have to strike back at Mr. Vargas for what he said to you."

"No, that’s not it--"

Yoka cuts him off, "That is it, and you know, it Lauis! "

"He shouldn’t have--"

"No, you shouldn’t have broken the law. You shouldn’t have gotten mixed up with those folks. You think the big people think bad of us? Well just look at your own actions! No wonder we get distrusted! Stunts like yours give them reason."

Laius continued to justify himself. "It was the right thing to do. And nothing bad will come of it. He deserved it; we need it! Done is done."

"It was wrong! And you know it. I … I’m turning you in."

"WHAT!? You can’t. You can’t! They’ll kill me."

"No. The bailiffs know me, the sheriffs know me. I’ve been before the magistrate time and again, doing my duty. They’re good folks. You’ll get a slap on the wrist -- and it’ll will be a good example, for you and your son! He’s right there, behind you listening to us, and we both know you can’t be setting an example of … consorting with thieves!"

The argument escalated... but both were implacable.

What Laius had done is this. Mr. Vargas, a rich human, insulted Lauis when he was practicing his architectural craft, repairing inlaid tiles in the man's mansion. He took revenge by casing the joint, describing where valuables were stored, and leaving a locked door unlatched and disarmed. Valuables were stolen, and he got a kick-back, which he did actually use charitably, being a good-hearted scofflaw. He would have gotten away with it too, if his wife (devoted to trying to prove her good standing) had kept her mouth shut.

Lauis was arrested the next morning, four burly soldiers in chainmail roughly gripping and hauling him away.

Two days later Yoka and Eddi watched as he was summarily hung in the public square, until dead. The passers-by going to and from the marketplace gave scarcely any notice as the tiny figure dangled and went lifeless. A cluster of halflings around Yoka and Eddi stood dazed and miserable, while the vast city bustled unperturbed.

That night … Eddi, weeping in desolation ... was not abandoned by his gift.
His spirit-sensitive opened to the void; his imagination traversed paths in the darkness. At last,he found his father Lauis wandering among the spirits. They had a long conversation, a heartful expression of love, sorrow, and remorse.

And then Eddi let the spirit of his dead father come inside him … possessing his body as a second spirit. And in the twelve years since Lauis has never left. This ongoing possession seemed at first miraculously good: It was as if Lauis could live again. But the juxtaposition of two souls in one body only served to magnify the … inherent oddity in Eddi. His awareness expanded, and his compulsions magnified. Straddling the living and the dead, he developed the power to command divine energies. He became an Oracle of the Mystery of Succor.

But … he could not abide at home any longer. He loved his father, he loved his mother … but the feeling they had for each other!? No … he had to leave.

Eddi became a wandering mercenary, plying the martial skills he learned from his mother, and guided into the rough-and-tumble world by his father’s spirit. His talents continued to improve, and he developed as a healer, a support spellcaster, and a support melee combatant. What’s more, he could hold seances to gain insights, and could invite wandering spirits to guide him. He developed relationships, especially, with Mar-a-gak, an hobgoblin warrior spirit who guided him sometimes in battle. Mar-a-gak was … not so a bad for a dead humanoid, bloodthirsty, yes … but willing to barter his talents for a few glimpses back into mortal life. And Eddi came, in time, to know many more wandering spirits, guiding him upon his increasingly more challenging adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddi.png
Views:	153
Size:	699.9 KB
ID:	88352  

Last edited by CatCanCook; Nov 24th, 2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 07:17 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ok this is good. Well done with the background. I like the dark stuff. This character will be perfect for Ravenloft.

I havent been approved for the game yet but so far we have a Fire monk ( Order of the Flaming Serpent? ) and the halfling oracle. So do you want me to play the spirits? Like being possessed does that mean your dad would manifest himself from time to time? Are you going to RP that or do I take over the character from time to time? ( i wont be mean. I want the player to have fun.)
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 07:41 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
And what did his dad do exactly?
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3781
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
@Headgames010 --

"what did his dad do" -- a rich human insulted him when he was practicing his architectural craft, repairing inlaid tiles in the man's mansion. He took revenge by casing the joint, describing where valuables were stored, and leaving a locked door unlatched and disarmed. Valuables were stolen, and he got a kick-back, which he did actually use charitably (being a chaotic good sort). He would have gotten away with it if his wife (a lawful good sort) hadn't turned him in ... and hadn't been fooling herself about the casual cruelty that the town guards could have toward accused halflings.

So, using rules-as-written, the character retains self control. Mechanically, this is the only effect:

Quote:
You take a –2 penalty on all concentration checks, and concentrating to maintain a spell duration provokes attacks of opportunity. Whenever a foe attempts to use an effect to possess or dominate you and the effect allows a saving throw to negate, you may roll twice and take the better of the two results.
So I would retain control and just roleplay the father as a different personality that occasionally crops up. I'll develop his style and quirks.

Taking the Spirit Ridden feat (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...spirit-ridden/) -- also gives a similar roleplaying effect "While you’re possessed, the spirit influences your personality." I think that is something we could both put some inventiveness and creativity to. From the outside it could look like multiple personalities changing day by day. I might say something like -- "In the morning, Eddi goes into a seance, searching for a talented spirit of alchemy. Since we are expected to stay a few days in town, he aspires to craft some acid flasks and maybe some Troll Styptic." -- And then you could reply with a bit on what spirit he contacts, with what traits. And I do the best I can to play that out! If the spirit has a clear nature, you occasionally NPC-ing him is fine but ... its just a skill-boosting feat, it's not supposed to break the game for good or ill.

Net -- this character is maximally ghosted: from the Oracle curse, the Feat, and then the Wandering Spirit class ability. He'll have a lot of voices to talk to.

Well for a full party it would be nice to add: a heavy melee sort, a ranged combatant, maybe a more offense-oriented caster -- and some breadth of skills.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Nov 23rd, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3394
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Interesting. I do have a question!

You're doing this in Pathfinder? Isn't this a 5e game or 3rd edition dnd? I ask because I have NO idea what pathfinder race/class combos are available in Faerun.

I'd be willing to make an app, I just need to understand before I get my gears turning.
You can still use use pathfinder races and classes. It's just in a different world than Golarion, that's all.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2200
Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67 Sarge67
I used the 3.5 Oriental Adventures, he is from the Dragon clan and is an Earth Shugenza. He is only banned from using Air spells. So at 3rd level he is a 2nd level Monk, 1 level Earth Shugenza. Also the powers granted through divine domains are quite different between 3.5 ed and Pathfinder. Just letting you know.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 01:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3394
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Is the unchained book allowed?
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 01:53 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ok I can work with that. This is the first I've hear of Dhampires. Kinda cool. Do you drink blood and stuff? Maybe you need food but you really like raw meat and the like? Like do you have the vampiric curse to crave human blood? Im wondering if you should be a native of Ravenloft. Hmmmmm. I kind of like that idea. Why would you be on a boat from Waterdeep to Amn? It would be cool if for some reason you never come up from below decks during the day. That'd be cool. Ok so we say you lived on the streets in Waterdeep? Is that cool?

And MR. Monk I believe we'll say you live in a small hamlet of like 80 people in the cloud peaks near Candlekeep. You have traveled here from far in the east in Kura-tur. You study the ways of the Shugenza at a temple waaaay up in the mountains above the clouds. It is a feat of climbing and strength just to reach the temple, and once one arrives they usually stay for a while.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 01:56 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well I did say no source material and the half vampire is a 5th edition race but I was going to allow it because it's an interesting concept and it IS a Ravenloft game.. so this is why I kinda don't want the source material, because I don't really want to have to research all this stuff I dont already know and THEN have to decide weather to put it in the game. I'd prefer if you spell out exactly what it is you want to play, rather then me have to look it up and read it/learn it tbh.