Game Thread The Haunted Palace - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Drakeriders Of Bryn
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
The Haunted Palace

The Kingdom of Bryn. From whatever walk of life you had before, this land was home now. It's mountain rose high into the sky, mingling with the clouds. The cold winds and snow-capped peaks filled your lungs with crisp and cleansing air. The red sun was rising to the south and east, over the fjord and filling the city of Malendoljaar with light. It's rays fell over the town that was carved into the mountain sides, people were beginning to stir. The sun's grasp reached out further, caressing the temples, the barracks, the hatchery, the Haunted Palace of the Queen, the rookery, and finally held the Hall of the Dead and the Skyrider's Den. The den was always so marvelous in the sunshine, even more so than the palace, and as you looked across the fjord, two Skyriders looked back at you. General Lucius, known as the Queen's Thunder, who was one of the Four Generals of Bryn. The other man, was Hark, the Bold, son of the legendary Skyrider, Heerth, the Flame of Valor. Hark was your commanding officer and leader of your particular unit.

Lucius and Hark saluted to each other in traditional Brynite fashion, sword-arm across chest followed by a bow, then Hark mounted his Drake, Tempest (who had originally been his father's) and flew your way. It was extremely uncommon for a man so young to be a ranked officer, especially a Brigadier, but it was almost unheard of for a Drake to bond with it's former companion's child. Common rumor says that Hark is a reincarnation of his father, being born after his death to finish what the man had started. Others say the his father's spirit lives on in him, calling Tempest to him. Whatever the reason, this mythical scenario had made Hark rather popular with the Queen, and he was riding past. He nodded to you and headed for the barracks, and you knew you should go that way as well.
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan

Last edited by MalchiorTheForgotten; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Friendly Ratbasterd GM
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 27th, 2023
RPXP: 20043
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,720
Silently, Able falls in behind Hark and heads towards the barracks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Sir Alex's Avatar
Sir Alex Sir Alex is offline
The Pen Is Mightier
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2016
RPXP: 5731
Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex
Posts: 3,914
Watching the young officer go by, Gavin saluted crisply and moved to follow the magnificent drake and rider. An unusual surge of envy rose up in like bile in his throat; Hark had been blessed to have such a great father. Gavin dismissed the emotion. It was an unworthy sentiment, and he forcefully directed his thoughts elsewhere. What had Lucious and their commanding officer been talking about? Would there finally be a real mission and an end to the monotonous drills? A chance to finally prove myself, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 11th, 2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
Lyn's salute and parade ground turn could not have been more spot on, even if the beaming smile on her face ruined the effect slightly. She couldn't help herself though. That was General Lucious... THE General Lucious! The Queen's Thunder! Alyssa's description of him scarcely did him justice. Her older sister commanded a squadron of Lucious' drakes, and Lyn had hung onto the older Tremaine's every word as she talked about her duties and actions under the general.

As she marched smartly behind her commanding officer, Lyn idly wondered what a man of his rank was doing here, so early in the morning. If I were a general I'd take the opportunity to sleep in every chance I get. I certainly don't get nearly enough now. Ah, but that's the military life girl, you knew darn well what you were getting yourself into. And besides, the view is beautiful as ever. It would probably amaze anyone who didn't know her too well her ability to seamlessly move from bad vibes to good ones with no effort at all.

Still, Lyn was curious as to why General Lucious was here. Just a casual meeting with Commander Hark... or something more? She glanced over at the rest of the formation from the corner of her eyes, wondering if their thoughts moved down the same paths as hers, though her position near the front left her only in a position to see Able and Gavin. Gavin seemed upset about something, though Lyn had no idea what could it be. She made a mental note to ask him about it later and see if she couldn't cheer him up.

As for Able, he was being... well, Able. All her attempts to get him to lighten up even a little had failed miserably, but she had not given it up and was determined to make him just a little warmer and less gloomy than he was now. After all, even granite and stone can be worn down by wind and water over time, and stubborn though Able may be, Lyn could be just as stubborn when she committed to something. That something, in this case, was a tight, cohesive unit that fought, and lived, and thought, and was as close as one.
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Friendly Ratbasterd GM
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 27th, 2023
RPXP: 20043
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,720
As the other cadets make their salutes to Commander Hark, Able winces. It hadn't even come into his head to salute. Talk about putting your foot in it. It was going to take him some time for details like that to come to him naturally. As a brighteyed Lyn fell in behind after an overly enthusiastic salute, with a skip to her step, Able can't help but groan inwardly and roll his eyes. May the Twins grant him luck that she not get on his case again today...!

Last edited by jbear; Feb 14th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 01:59 AM
orangehatter's Avatar
orangehatter orangehatter is offline
Dance is what Dance does
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2015
RPXP: 1437
orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter
Posts: 2,321
Eyes like quartz watched the officer sail by, even as the proper salute was given. Not that he was old himself, but he always had to wonder: What went about in Hark's mind? Did he care much as to his age, and being responsible of the lives of so many? Or that his family's reputation rested on every order stemming from his command? Balroga could relate. But better him than me.

With an underlying grace, he filed in with the rest of his unit. He stepped in beside Gavin with a nonchalant air, pointing to the sky where their commander and drake sped through the air. "One d-day. Us." The voice was deep, but carried little weight. He gave the man a friendly nudge and continued strolling towards the barracks.

One day I hope.
__________________
Air Force

Computers were on lock down here for a security violation thanks to some morons. Back in full effect!

Last edited by orangehatter; Feb 20th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Quince's Avatar
Quince Quince is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 8th, 2012
RPXP: 28
Quince
Posts: 268
Scar paid no attention to the meeting between Hark and the other man. He was lost in the brilliance of the rookery in the morning sun. He wished the day would pass sooner so that he could go and visit Harmony. The unfurling of Tempestís wings is what brought Scar back from the rookery.

As Hark flew by and everyone gave a salute, Scarís was different. In one long practiced movement, he drew the dagger from his belt, dropped it to the ground and held out his arms, wrists pressed together and palms facing Hark. It was a rarely used salute of respect and submission in the Shanite tribes and Hark was the only man in Bryn that received that salute.

After Hark had passed, Scar crouched down and slid the dagger back in its sheathe before falling slightly out of line behind the dark-skinned, Balroga.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:41 AM
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
Hark led you back to the barracks, leaping off Tempest's back on triple-front- flipped, landing in a crouch with his Ranseur (passed down from his father) in hand. He stood, allowing Tempest to perch himself atop the barracks. Hark entered, and you knew he meant you all to do the same. Inside the large stone doors and down the hall, to the briefing chamber, where he sat atop a desk and awaiting for you to assemble. The young Flameborn had the look on his face of a hard working man. He picked up a clip-board and perused it's contents, looking up to see if you all were there.
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Friendly Ratbasterd GM
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 27th, 2023
RPXP: 20043
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,720
Able can't help but smile and shake his head at Hark's showmanship as he walks through the stone doors and down the hall. Once inside the briefing chamber he takes his position in front of the desk, hands behind his back, looking at his commander intently. Out of the corner of his eye he peeks at his companions to make sure he isn't forgetting any kind of important protocol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Sir Alex's Avatar
Sir Alex Sir Alex is offline
The Pen Is Mightier
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2016
RPXP: 5731
Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex
Posts: 3,914
Gavin strode briskly into the barracks, passing down the hallway. The ancient floor tiles had suffered the scampering feet of countless young recruits, to say nothing of the weighty boots of officers. The entire building spoke silently of its own gravitas, a testament to the might of Bryn. Gavin felt a burning determination to add to his nation's glory.

He entered and saluted Hark, then fell in beside Able. What was Hark going to say? A smile tugged at Gavin's lips despite his best efforts. Surely there would be a new mission.

Last edited by Sir Alex; Feb 16th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Quince's Avatar
Quince Quince is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 8th, 2012
RPXP: 28
Quince
Posts: 268
Scar shook his head openly at Hark's showboating. He smiled as Tempest landed atop the barracks. Drakes loved sunbathing. He followed Hark into the barracks, moving roughly past the other recruits. This was a military after all, there should always be a sense of urgency, a fast pace that seemed to be missing. "Brynites are so confusing sometimes."

As he entered the briefing room, he unbuckled his massive sword from his back and set it at Hark's feet. He stepped backward and took a knee; his head bowed, and his eyes firmly fixed on the stone tiles.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 11th, 2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
As she filed into the briefing room, she was momentarily shaking her head in triumph. Aha, I saw that smile Able! You can pretend to be gloomy all you like, I know you've got a sense of humor hidden in there somewhere. Sooner or later, I will find it out.

She fell in at the far right of the recruits' formation, then brought herself to a sharp-looking parade rest, feet perfectly spaced, hands resting behind her back, and eyes fixed straight forward, though naturally they had her customary twinkle of excitement. This is it, it's a mission, I know it! We can only train for so long, sooner or later they'll have to give us a task, and I bet that's what General Lucious was here for!
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:47 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Friendly Ratbasterd GM
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame GM 2021
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 27th, 2023
RPXP: 20043
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,720
Seeing Lyn take the same position as him, all be it with more enthusiasm and better posture, Able breathes a sigh of relief and relaxes slightly. He can't help but look at the one called Scar prostrate on the floor ... Shanite. Able felt like telling him to stand, that he was not a servant or a slave... but as his mouth opened to speak he remembered his place. Biting back the words he rethought things. Perhaps Scar understood things clearly after all. Taking another deep breath Able made a deliberate attempt to clear his mind of these unwanted thoughts. He was a soldier in an army. Part of something. And it meant he could ride. That alone made all of this obeying and posturing worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 3rd, 2022
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
"All here I see." Hark says, glancing back at the clipboard. "Scar, I'd prefer if you didn't do that. I don't deserve that much respect, plus, it leaves you open to more attacks than just from me. Anyway, we have been presented a challenge. General Lucius and his men have been given a mission, that they will pass down to them if we can beat them in a single game of Skyball. Do we wish to accept?"

OOC: Skyball is much like American Football and Basketball, but mounted on skyback. Or, more closely, Harry Potter seriesQuidditch or Final Fantasy 10Blitzball.
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan

Last edited by MalchiorTheForgotten; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
orangehatter's Avatar
orangehatter orangehatter is offline
Dance is what Dance does
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2015
RPXP: 1437
orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter
Posts: 2,321
Balroga filed in with a simple stride. His gait was steady even as his 9-ring sword rocked below the small of his back, held to his belt by two small chains near his right hip. I wonder how he does that, he mused as he pondered over the acrobatic man's masterful maneuver. He was sure to try it someday himself.

He raised his eyebrows at Scar's supposed show of respect. He is a respectable man, but this is no formal event. With an inward shrug, he positioned himself against a wall near the middle of the room. One hand placed neatly on his thigh while the other tapped gently on the hilt of his blade. He bordered on being seen as a slouch, but the features of his face had no lackadaisical quality.

"Anyway, we have been presented a challenge...Do we wish to accept?"

Balroga glanced about, waiting to see if anyone else would answer. He raised his hand and stuttered, "I w-w-would b-be willing...sss-sss-sssir." The soldier was still embarrassed of his speech impediment, but he'd by now learned to hide it behind a stoic face (and cure the deficiency with a big mug of ale). With his voluntary acceptance of their 'game', he only prayed that he actually knew the rules...
__________________
Air Force

Computers were on lock down here for a security violation thanks to some morons. Back in full effect!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB