Game Thread A Silence at Midnight - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 07:42 AM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,187
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
And just as quickly as the confrontation had started, it now was at an end. "I didn't realize how authoritative your order was, Olin," the Half-Elf says as he joins up with the group. Bill was about to start questioning the Gnoll when Deamiss handily begins dragging it towards camp. That one is surprisingly strong for his age!

Back at camp Deamiss repeats Bill's question, and the Paladin walks up with Rapier still in hand. Placing the flat side of the blade Intimidation check: 18under its chin, Rhaegalt asserts, "Best be quick with the truth, we won't have any lies now."

 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 04:40 PM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

"That is it? We have a prisoner now?" Seeing the others respond so appropriately, Qijon realises he has no idea what to do and sort of trails behind. When Deamiss asks if someone can keep an eye on the hunters he quickly responds: "Will do!", glad for the opportunity to pitch in and not stand there slack-jawed.

The young elf turns around, Perception check: 5 (nat 1)scanning the horizon for the hunters and any other possible threats. His head is mostly still with the abruptly ended 'battle', and the interrogation going on behind him, not doing much good for his concentration.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 21721
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,017
A Silence at Midnight
left-aligned image
Brother Olin walks ahead as Deamiss and Bill return to the camp, dragging the gnoll archer. Qijon watches the hunters head back across the meadow and out of sight.

Girgadan searches the second gnoll, collecting a spear, longbow and quiver, and a pouch holding 12 coppers and a half-eaten dove. "So the Abbey is meant to police this area. Gnolls, hunters and whatever else lives up here. Sounds like a great opportunity to generate coin and yet you had to come to town to get us? The brew must be amazing if money isn't your main tool of power" "We're now into the Abbey's lands. We defend the pass and the local folk tithe to the Abbey in return for safety and use of the land. Huntmaster Ralla, if I recall correctly, is quite stingy with his catch and may well be somewhat behind in his tithes. I'm not about to press the issue when we've clearly been remiss in our defense, but neither will I discuss the Abbey's internal business with residents while we are in turmoil."

"You want to tell us why you were trying to kill this man here?" "My friend ask you why attack us at first..." The gnoll starts to sit up, then 18 Intimidation crushes a DC 8 herelies right back down as Rhaegalt sets his sword to its throat. "Best be quick with the truth, we won't have any lies now." The gnoll's eyes look up and down the blade. "Me and Gorrrak come gate to trrrade. Gate monk say go find and killl monk on rrroad. Say not check currrfew, no prrrobllem." The gnoll breaks into an ear-to-ear grin, showing a mouthful of yellowed canine teeth. "Alllways want to killl a monk. Killl anything that hide behind monk gate."
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 12:22 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 5033
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,997
Girgadan
left-aligned image


As he pockets the meager coins and stows the extra weapons over his back he says to the group "You chaps need a spear or bow or whatnot otherwise I'll sell it to the monks -well the friendly ones."

His gear back in order and the creases worked out his pants the Half-Orc "Ho - now we get to some meat in this stew. More than a prisoner Qijon, an assassin. Rhaegalt and Deamiss are some of the fastest interrogators I've seen, less blood too!"

Sidling up to Brother Olin and bowing a little to make clear eye contact in a way he hopes comes off as only slightly upset, he smiles before asking "Well Brother. It seems more like you came to town to hire bodyguards. I dont mind the sight of blood but I prefer more of theirs and less of mine so now might be a good time to share the full story"




Actions
Initiative:
Movement: Follow Olin
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Notes:



 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 12:40 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,540
Bill ďthe Orog,Ē Custom Lineage FighterSheet|AC: 17|HP: 13/13|+6/2d6+4|Status: Normal
Heavy Armor Master | Interception Style | Second Wind 1/1|1/1 HD

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Bill's lips curl into what may be a smile; his large canines interfere with the expression. "Do you think you can point out this 'gate monk,'" he asks the gnoll, "if we bring you back there with us?" Bill turns to Olin. "Maybe you can just deduce the man's identity from a schedule or some such?" he proposes. "This looks like a big break."

 

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

Qijon's head snaps back to the gnoll upon hearing it got sent out for 'fratricide'. He looks the gnoll up and down whilst trying Insight check: 12to get a read on it.

"It seems highly unlikely someone would show their hand so openly and brazenly. Unless they thought they could get away with it. Brother Olinn, who knew of your absence and, more specifically, its reason? I do not think it logical that someone would assume 2 gnolls would be able to take out a group of 5 or 6 people. This is all assuming it" he gestures at the gnoll "is not lying, of course."

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 06:56 PM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,187
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
Rhaegalt was of a similar mind with Bill. This subdued beast may have just served us a conspirator, the Half-Elf thinks giddily to himself. "Yes, will we be able to see who was working at the gate, Olin?"

But Girgadan's suggestion of potential foreknowledge or ulterior motives draws a look of concern and confusion from Rhaegalt. The blade drops an inch or two for a second, before snapping back to its previous location. With a slight scowl, Rhaegalt addresses the monk again. "Olin, is there anything else you're not telling us?"

 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 02:26 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 21721
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,017
A Silence at Midnight
left-aligned image
The party gathers by the low fire, surrounding the captured gnoll and asking Brother Olin more questions than the assassin. Towering over the old man, Girgadan implies that he's been less than straightforward. "Well Brother. It seems more like you came to town to hire bodyguards. I don't mind the sight of blood but I prefer more of theirs and less of mine so now might be a good time to share the full story." Rhaegalt adds Olin, is there anything else you're not telling us? Olin shrugs in return. "Someone poisoned the abbot. It was not outside the realm of possibility that someone might try to dispose of me as well. I have concealed nothing and I did warn that the road might be treacherous. The Abbey needs impartial investigators, and it seems someone guarding the gate was not impartial."

Bill leans over the gnoll. "Do you think you can point out this 'gate monk' if we bring you back there with us?" The gnoll looks slightly confused. "Uh. Lllook lllike monk, wearrr hood. All monk stink same lllike candllles. Grrray rrrobe and hood. This tallll." The creature stretches out its gangly arms and waves its paws, indicating a height that could be anywhere from five to seven feet. Olin mutters "Not one of the goblins then."

Bill and Rhaegalt see a chance. "Maybe you can just deduce the man's identity from a schedule or some such?" "Yes, will we be able to see who was working at the gate, Olin?" Olin nods. "There is a logbook at the gate. There are three gatewatch shifts during the day, usually a pair of novices working each shift."

As an artificer would, Qijon thinks several steps ahead, Insight 12 is uncontested, no reason to think the gnoll is lyingeyeing the gnolls's reactions and considering practicalities. "It seems highly unlikely someone would show their hand so openly and brazenly. Unless they thought they could get away with it. Brother Olinn, who knew of your absence and, more specifically, its reason? I do not think it logical that someone would assume 2 gnolls would be able to take out a group of 5 or 6 people. This is all assuming it is not lying, of course." "There are so few of us. Everyone in the Abbey would have noticed that I'm away. Prioress Barretti sent me to Westhaven to find you all, I think only she would know that I'd be returning with company. Anyone else might have thought I'd be traveling alone."

The gnoll stares at Rhaegalt's sword, remaining still with the blade at its throat, then carefully nods toward its deceased packmate. "Uh. You gonna eat that? I'lll have it if you'rrre not hungrrry."


OODMIf you have more questions or want to discuss anything IC, just go ahead and post. Otherwise, let me know in OOC and I'll move ahead with the next DM post.
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

After they've taken care of the gnoll and are out of earshot, Qijon tries to get everyone's attention.

"Ehm...just one more thing, before we reach the abbey. I had heard Brother Olin mention something about poison, so I, err, took the liberty to prepare my purification kit for our endeavour. It will take some time to execute upon any victuals we might be offered, but I believe that any, eh, poisons or such that might be contained therein should be fully neutralised. I suggest we take care with whatever we consume, lest we, uhm, tread on the heels of the abbot.

Furthermore, I have also brought my A.D.D., errr, my Arcane Discernment Device. Which also takes some time to set up, but will grant me the ability to sense any magics nearby, should we require."


 


OOCPurify Food and Drink & Detect Magic upon request, if we have time for a 10-minute ritual. Would rather like to save spell slots for cure wounds, if possible. Also, Guidance for any skill checks, completely forgot about that until now. xD
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 08:27 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,540
Bill ďthe Orog,Ē Custom Lineage FighterSheet|AC: 17|HP: 13/13|+6/2d6+4|Status: Normal
Heavy Armor Master | Interception Style | Second Wind 1/1|1/1 HD

left-aligned image
right-aligned image

Bill nods his head in satisfaction. "So we just need to figure out which of those two fellas is our man," he says. "Maybe their politics will give them away." Bill turns back to the gnoll when it makes its cannibalistic plea. "I did say that I would argue for his life," Bill informs the others, "so I'd like to let him go. I suppose we'll keep the spear," Bill tells the gnoll, "but I think you're welcome to the corpse.

"Well, those sound very handy!"
Bill praises Qijon. "I would like to see those devices in action." He pauses a moment. "If you build and employ equipment like that, you really are much more useful than you seem at first."

 

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 09:02 PM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,187
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
Rhaegalt removes the Rapier from under the Gnoll's throat and takes half a step back at Bill's request. Still holding the weapon tightly but pointed at the ground, the Half-Elf says, "See what happens when you are truthful; and remember what happens when you attack people you shouldn't," with a head tilt towards its dead companion. "Now go collect your... meal..." No remorse for a fallen ally, he thinks with a disgusted look on his face.

"Purification kit, ehh? We'll definitely be wanting that if we don't want to follow the Abbot. Best be we talk with the cook before you start testing any of his food."

 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 04:13 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 21721
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,017
A Silence at MidnightThe party discusses precautions. Brother Olin shrugs and says only "That may be wise." The gnoll drools when offered its packmate's carcass, and waits only for Rhaegalt to take the blade away from its throat before growling "Fairrr. Mine!" and dragging the corpse far out of sight.

left-aligned image
Rhaegalt and Deamiss stand the last watch of the night. Olin wakes before sunrise and eats a very spare breakfast from his personal rations while everyone packs and readies themselves. The path leads through the meadows toward a mountain ridge spanning the horizon, eventually rounding a few foothills into a long and very steep valley. Olin points to a narrow break in the heights. "Highpass and the Abbey. Not far now." The party can just make out a forbidding stone wall blocking the gap in the ridge.

A few small huts and terraced farms cling to the lower slopes, giving way to scrubby drifts of trees, then low growth, then bare stone as the path rises. As the party nears the ridge, the sound of a bronze gong echoes down the valley from above, tolling and fading six times. Olin makes a sign of Torm and bows his head. "Abbot Aerlin has passed. His poisoner is now a murderer."

At the crest, a scatter of stone and thatch buildings line the path, barely enough to be called a village. Small groups of children play chase from house to house, a mix of humans and goblins with a few elves and orcs among them. Adults peer out from doorways, exchanging solemn nods with Brother Olin and looking at the party with veiled interest.

right-aligned image
The wall beyond the houses dwarfs the small settlement, over thirty feet high and running well over a hundred feet in length between vertical rocky faces of the ridge. An iron portcullis gate in the wall is lowered, blocking a tunnel that appears to be the only way through the pass. A hooded woman stands atop the wall, turning and disappearing from view when she catches sight of the party approaching.

With a muffled rattle of chains, the gate begins to rise as the party nears. The human nun from the wall stands behind it with a heavy-set orcish monk at her side, both wearing the same gray robes that Olin wears, and a goblin nun joins them from a door set in the tunnel wall after the gate clanks into place. Olin points them out as the party approaches. "Our Prioress, highest in rank after the Abbot. Brother Lodd, our Roundsman, and Sister Pijjar, a novice like myself."

The Prioress steps forward. There are a few streaks of gray in her hair and her eyes are reddened with fatigue and grief. She folds her hands and half-bows to the party. "Welcome to Highpass, thank you for answering our call. I am Prioress Barretti. Please, introduce yourselves. Olin, you may speak." Brother Olin returns her gesture and glances back at the party. "I am so sorry, Prioress. I think, perhaps, we should all speak in private."
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 06:46 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 5033
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 1,997
Girgadan
left-aligned image


"Girgadan here at Olin's request." he bows a little and adds "My condolences on your loss, a sad time for our arrival."

Looking from the Prioress back to Olin "If he thinks we should talk in private then lets do that"



Actions
Initiative:
Movement:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Notes:



 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Oct 14th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 01:00 PM
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 6885
JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Posts: 1,187
Rhaegalt
right-aligned image
After Olin gives introductions for his fellow monks, Rhaegalt gives a small bow in return. "Rhaegalt, nice to meet you all." Quickly glancing at the other two greeters, the Half-Elf nods in agreement with Olin and Girgadan, "Yes, this delicate matter needs to be handled very carefully." And the game begins... which of these three can we trust?

 

__________________
+ Come join the fun in Tug of War! +
Current Tug of War game- #119: Septembers are for Oktoberfest
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 04:27 AM
Hitmyto's Avatar
Hitmyto Hitmyto is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Posts: 126
Qijon
left-aligned image

Qijon walks up with the rest of the party, notices others giving a short bow and follows their example. "My name is Qijon, at your disposal."

 


OOC@All - Guidance is available, you can add 1d4 to your next ability check if no one else has claimed it.
__________________
I have taken the Oath
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB