RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:16 PM
I enjoyed THACO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6422
Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper
Otari Adventures

Game NameOtari Adventures
Game SystemPF 2e
Trapper
I've been a PbP DM here for several years, a player long before that. I currently play in 5e, but of late have found several things about it dissatisfying.

One of the things I've always liked about pathfinder are their adventure paths, doing much of the prep work already. I see several players here looking for 2e games, but no DMs offering 2e games. This, and a few pathfinder Christmas presents, have inspired me to try out the new system.

The Game
The small seaside town of Otari is known for its fresh fish and skilled sailors, but above all, it’s a big logging town, providing valuable wood to the nearby metropolis of Absalom. But for you, Otari is home. You grew up playing on the docks, getting lost in the nearby woods, and hearing the fantastical stories of travelers from faraway lands, tales of terrifying dragons and virtuous knights. Such adventure always seemed so distant—until today!

Word has begun to spread around Otari that there’s a problem down at the Otari Fishery. Some are saying that some sort of beast is lurking in the basement, feeding on the stores of salted fish. Folks are worried that whatever is eating the fish might get hungry enough to eat the fishers next!

You’ve received a letter from Tamily Tanderveil, the owner of the Fishery. Inside is a desperate plea for help. With the town guard busy protecting the loggers, she needs a few brave souls to venture down into the basement of her warehouse and put an end to the beast that’s feasting on her fish! Do you have the courage to face the menace under Otari?

We will begin with "Menace Under Otari," the module that comes inside the beginner box. If that goes well and we're all still having fun, we'll move to "Trouble in Otari". I don't care if you've played it before, I trust my players to not metagame.

The requirements
1. Patience. I'm learning a new system and will make mistakes.
2. A willingness and ability to civilly discuss rules, while moving on with the game.
3. Communication. Let me know if something could be better, or if you've lost interest and are moving on.
4: You need to be able to open and view this: Battle Map

The Application
This will be a little different than normal: a player application rather than a character application. I'm looking for 4-6 players. I'll be closing applications on Jan 31 Now Closed and we'll move to character creation from there.

I want:
Your experience with Pathfinder 2e, what you like most and least.
What class(es) you'd want to play.
What game have you been a part of that failed? Why do you think it failed?
What makes a successful PbP game?
On a scale of 1-10, how strong is your Rules Lawyering? (I'm looking for a mix)
Writing sample: Not needed. I will scour your post history for it.

Last edited by Trapper; Jan 14th, 2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 07:31 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Madclergy

I have played several sessions at the table before COVID hit and we were forced to disband for health concerns. I also played one PbP that fell apart after about a month.

I am open to play whatever class will fit in with the party. I played a Champion of Desna in my first game, and a Ranger in the PbP, but it's a new system for me so I will eventually want to give every class a try.

Covid killed one of my Pathfinder 2E games, the other was due to the DM of the PbP game disappearing (unfortunately this happens with DM and Player alike so very often in PbP)

Dedication to a moderate posting rate, also recapping, some people get bogged down after a while with the 'past' of the game because PbP happens so slowly by comparison to real life. So having regular recaps on what has happened up to a point helps the players to stay engaged.

I used to be a 10, I'd check every rule to make sure it complied. Not sure if it's just time, or what, but I'm here to have fun. I of course want their to be rules, but if something gets mixed up, or overruled it's no biggie. So I'd put myself at maybe closer to a 4 or 5 now.

Writing sample:

I have been lurking for a while but this is actually my first post. So no writing sample to speak of here. If you visit DNDBeyond I have been active on those forums for a long while (since it's inception) and have thousands of posts. My long time PbP friends actually had the two most read and viewed PbP games on there for a while. If you need something more current I can whip something up.

Last edited by Madclergy; Jan 11th, 2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 08:11 AM
knows too much

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13645
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Sure, I'll bite.

Some Deets
My PF2 Experience: I've read the CRB for 2nd edition once and that's the end of my experience with 2nd edition. I'm confused by why grappling was decided to be fortitude saves. And I think character creation could have been written better. I like how characters are created though. The Stat generation is a good idea. It looks interesting. I've heard some really good things about the action economy in this edition.

What do I want to play? I have a rough idea of an Iorion Disciple, so somewhere in the Fighter/Monk/Cleric/Champion field.

Have I seen game failure and why: I've been here since 2005 with a few year long breaks. I've seen a lot of games die. Mostly it's just life happens. Players and dms not on the same page. Simple burnout. Silence.

Success in PbP: Success is harder to nail down. Clear goals is one. Not biting off more than you can chew. Sheer luck. Actively engaged players and dm.

How rules lawyery are you? As for rules lawyers, I used to be a forever gm offline. I was a 9 or 10; didn't mean I didn't keep the game moving though. Rules discussions are for after the game. I still feel like I sit around a 7 or 8. The entire point of a rules set is to put everyone in the same framework; whats good for the PCs is good for the NPCs and vice versa.

Last edited by Elfman6; Jan 14th, 2021 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Prettied it up a bit
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Floof (he/they)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6811
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
ApplicationExperience with Pathfinder 2e: Only an abortive Fall of Plaguestone campaign that didn't make it far past the bar fight, and a bit of reading through the player materials. What I like the most is the flexibility of the three action encounter system, as well as the flexibility in character building. What I like least are some of the more involved subsystems, like the whole detection and visibility rules cluster.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll also note here that I have read through the beginner box adventure (I'm planning on running it for a Discord group), but not any of the Otari adventures that build off of it.

Classes I want to play: I tend to gravitate towards Fighters and Rogues, so something like that would probably be my first choice, but I'm also curious about PF2e's magic system, so ultimately I'm flexible.

Failed games: The aforementioned Plaguestone game fell apart because we couldn't keep things moving during the investigation phase. The GM struggled to give us leads that we could follow, and the players struggled to keep things moving forward with their posts. As a general rule, I find that, setting aside the problem of ghosting/availability, PbP games fail when people (GMs and players both) forget to keep advancing the narrative with their posts and get lost in indecision or tangential details.

Successful games: Conversely, PbP games succeed when everyone is engaged and approaches the game with a spirit of collaboration. Open and frequent OOC communication is vital for checking in and avoiding "I thought we were waiting for you to post" type misunderstandings. Keeping the plot moving ensures that players have new things to respond to and the GM has opportunities to introduce yet more complications to deal with.

Rules Lawyering: Not sure how to translate this into a number, so I'll just lay it out: I like learning new systems and knowing the rules, and if a GM makes a ruling that seems to contradict the rules as I understand them, I will generally bring it to their attention, in case it's something they've overlooked. When it's a deliberate change from the rules, I'm perfectly fine with that, but I do like to know the reasoning for it, even if it's something as simple as "that's more trouble than it's worth for this interaction."

Writing Sample: Have fun going through my post history!
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 114
Rapsodos Rapsodos
Rapsodos' Player Application

●My experience with Pathfinder 2E: I’ve never played Pathfinder before. Neither 1E nor 2E. That said, I’ve been reading the latest version rules and I’m very interested. What I know so far suggest a system that allows great character customization, especially considering that new content for the game is published every year. Creating a character in this system is something I really want to do.

●What classes I’d like to play: As a player, I feel naturally inclined towards two things: sharpshooting and/or high intelligence. Any class/ancestry/background/fluff that works in an interesting way with those two concepts could be fun for me. The specifics would be decided depending on what the other players could like to play.

●Games I’ve been a part of that failed: The Beginner Solo Game. That was the first game I played on the site, but we never finished and it died in the middle. The DM never appeared again and to be honest I’m not sure why.

In retrospective, at the time I didn’t have a concept of making sure that every post of mine should advance the plot in some way to keep it interesting and progressing. Neither did I have a notion of how to build a character that would be fun to me in play. Not 100% certain if that contributed to the demise of the aforementioned beginner game, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Though it could have also been real life doing what real life does.

●What makes a successful PbP game: Among other things: honest and active communication. It allows everyone involved to be on the same page and better establish the course of the game in the direction that would be more fun for each player (including the GM).

And also: respect. I just don’t understand how a fun game could exist without this.

●Rules-Lawyerness: I strive to be at 5.5. I believe that rules are only as important as the amount of enjoyment they provide for the table.

●Writing sample: There’s a post history?
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 06:05 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2666
RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy RJonesy
Menace Under Otari appExperience with Pathfinder 2e: None. All of my IRL and PbP role playing game experience has been in 5th edition Dungeon and Dragons. I love 5th edition but, having played exclusively in it for several years, I’m beginning to look for ways to explore other game systems.

What classes you’d want to play: I’m open to all possibilities but I’m interested in the idea of a character who is an apprentice herbalist in the town of Otari. From the reading I’ve done the class choices would seem to include Cleric, Monk, Ranger, or Witch (if allowed).

What game have you been a part of that failed? Of the PbP games that I have played in several have started strong and run out of steam, while others that seemed promising never really got off the ground. Certainly there were some that struggled due to players or GM’s being pulled away for shifting real-life priorities or responsibilities, but others seemed to simply lose momentum or fall apart under the weight of maintaining an overly ambitious homebrew campaign. From my experience there seems to be a common thread in failed games regarding the length and complexity of posts (by GM’s and by players). I love writing and reading posts that provide deep insight and lengthy descriptions, however I do think that shorter (and more consistent) posts that drive the action forward ultimately result in a more successful game.

What makes a successful PbP game? In addition to the things mentioned above I think another key to successful game is players who actually read and respond to the posts of other players. When people are posting asynchronously it can be easy to focus on responding to the GM post only and not take into account the actions of the others in your group. Games where players are actively collaborating seem to stand a much better chance of keeping all parties engaged.

Scale of 1-10 rules lawyering: 3. I love that the rules provide a framework to create characters and interesting scenarios with consequences , but when it comes down to gameplay I am going to lean into story over rules every time.

Last edited by RJonesy; Jan 12th, 2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3292
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
A question for you before I get too invested in considering this. I have played quite a bit of PF first edition and am familiar with the setting. Would 2E be a huge culture shock or should I have a pretty smooth transition in trying to learn the differences. If I were to apply I would be hoping for a Cleric, perhaps of Desna but maybe something more lawful if the rest of the party seems inclined that way.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 09:38 AM
Black Cat Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11508
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
AppYour experience with Pathfinder 2e, what you like most and least.
I'm brand new to PF 2e, only got as far as building a character but that part was fun. I was up to the challenge before so why not again?
Typically I play melee classes, but I'd like to try something new and strange, like druid, bard, or swash. Of course, it all depends on party dynamic!
Like many, I have had my fair share of failed games and it really sucks. For the majority, the DM disappeared but 2020 was pretty hard on everyone.
The most successful games I've been in were consistent, had great communication, and a weekly post ratio.
My score would be 4ish. There needs to be structured rules to govern combat, magic, etc, etc, you shouldn't be able to get away with murder-->but FUN is key. If I have to take account of all my 3 eyes of newt, 2 hag scraggletooths, and a diamond worth precisely 500gpspell components in order to cast one measly spell that's when I must put my foot down.

Last edited by DaniLore; Jan 12th, 2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 10:06 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29897
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
AppYour experience with Pathfinder 2e, what you like most and least.
Never played it.
Wizard, Cleric, and Rogue are my "go to" classes
The list of failed games I've been in is pretty long indeed. Nearly all of them failed because the DM disappeared or the players did.
The most successful seem to have posts a couple times a week and the DM keeps things on track.
3 or so I'll notice if the "to hit" roll missed me or you get my character's name wrong, but beyond that I probably won't notice anything unless it is truly egregious.

Last edited by Ysolde; Jan 12th, 2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 10:52 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 269
Madripper Madripper Madripper
Application for 2e

Never played pathfinder but have played Ad&d many moons ago and no complaints. Loved it actually

Last time I played 2e I played a wizard but I'm open to any class that will balance out a party.

Haven't been a part of any PbP games, I've applied on a few but no success. But I would guess that they fail when people fade away and stop posting.

I would think a balance of combat with roleplaying... I'm not really a fan of the long 4 page posts. It loses the effect of a great post once it gets to long.

On a scale of 1-10, how strong is your Rules Lawyering?
Pretty low on the rules.... structure is needed to run the game but if the DM wants to run it his/her own way then that's cool.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 10:23 AM
had a fair day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4752
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
I have been around PF2e. When the playtest came out I got it, read through it, but didn't play it. Thought the mechanics were wonky. When true 2e came out I did the same, seeing what I liked and didn't. Read through it with my brother -- which was actually very fun since the book's art tells a fun story of humility and valor -- I found I liked it. The system has not been adopted as much as I thought it would so I haven't had any game time, though.
I'm the type that makes a character and somehow they end up as a Ranger. It happens often. I like Barbarians, Fighters, and Wizards too. Of those four, I'll likely play one.
Plenty of games have fallen after the app phase, though I haven't joined a game recently to say this or that one in specific. It's mostly hunger, I think, that causes it. Players or a GM make the game and as soon as the dopamine hits that they're in and this game exists, they're excited. Then some time passes and they realize the character isn't as hype as they remember. Less talk in the OOC, then bleh. It's happened to me before, of course. People gotta be hungry for their characters to continue to banter and evolve.
Evey post has to take a step forward. Having the courage and will to just do something as a player or GM progresses the tale. The best posts I've seen made my heart and brain race. They made me rethink how my character would see things and wish the other player posted again and more.

Also, a good bedrock scene during the first/second chapter helps. Something that will relight fires when read or thought about.
2. I almost always know the rules and when they're being broken, might look them up if I have time, but don't say anything unless asked or it is important. My live GM looks to me for rules and most of my players seem to think I know them all, even for games I don't typically play.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 10:15 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9640
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
I've been apart of two other pbp games here on RPGx. Both ended early because of GM declining interest, then disappearance. Danilore and I had a fun time in our last PF2.0 game. I own the the physical Players handbook and GM guide. May buy the advanced players handbook if interest grows. Lastly, I was using a great character stat sheet template that I can offer others if desired.
I'd really like to reuse my Angelic Sorceress I put sooo much effort into in the previous game that ended for reasons stated above. She has strong communication skills and diplomatic abilities. Also strong healing abilities and party buffs.
As stated above. Honestly, I don't think the players had anything to do with the GM disapperences. All PCs were enthusiastic, atleast adequately, and cooperative. I think the GM just got in over their heads and became overwhelmed.

GM enthusiasm firstly. And this usually continues if the GM doesn't overburden themselves. My goodness, I've seen this over and over again here on RPGx. Because of this, I will offer my help to you Trapper if you need. Good communication, having fun with the posts and character flavor. Being easy going. Don't take things to seriously. Be respectful in communication. No stress.
4. I think rules are helpful so that we can all be playing in the same framework, necessary limitations, and guidelines, as they push us to get creative and clever in the confines of rules and limitations. But friendship and playing with good people, as we are all real people interacting with each other, is the most important. Respect, easygoing-ness, and minimizing stubbornness all take precedence over strict rules adherence.

Thank you for hosting, Trapper, and thank you for reaching out to me.
Sincerely.

Last edited by WhiteStag; Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21625
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
I like that its pathfinder without the years of options and 500+ different feats, etc to dig through to create a character. Its take on action economy is interesting, as are the changers to stat generation and multiclassing.

What class(es) you'd want to play. Something from the advanced player guide: Witch/oracle maybe. I also am interested in trying out a shield fighter and giving that mechanic a whirl.

What game have you been a part of that failed? Why do you think it failed? I have been part of many games that have failed. In my experience, this usually happens from either a)growing disinterest by either the players and/or GM or b)time constraints on the part of the player or GM.

Good communication on everyone's part with players and GMs being honest about expectations and limitations. Second to that is group of motivated players with a GM to lovingly crack the whip every now and again to keep the game driving forward.

I think a solid 5. Rules are there for a reason, but at the end of the day, they take a back seat to everyone just having fun. That said, I have seen cases where not following the rules or following them inconsistently has also led to a lack of player enjoyment.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 07:22 PM
I enjoyed THACO

Tools
User Statistics
Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
A question for you before I get too invested in considering this. I have played quite a bit of PF first edition and am familiar with the setting. Would 2E be a huge culture shock or should I have a pretty smooth transition in trying to learn the differences. If I were to apply I would be hoping for a Cleric, perhaps of Desna but maybe something more lawful if the rest of the party seems inclined that way.
I don't think the setting changed at all between 1E and 2E, still the same Golarion.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 08:03 PM
I enjoyed THACO

Tools
User Statistics
Unfortunately, due to the good response, I'm going to have to make a difficult decision and end applications early. I'm going to take a little time and review, then PM everyone who applied.