Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Extra Sets of Eyes for Game Ad

I'm taking my sweet time setting up a game ad, and with the arrival of more free time and a little extra confidence, I'm feeling ready to go ahead with it sooner rather than later. That said, I want to do it right, and I'd love to get some people to look over the content that I have to make sure I'm not really missing anything essential.

I am not looking for critique of the story. I realize that the ad is a massive wall of text. Those are knowns. I am quite content with the game system of choice.

I want to know if there are any questions that would be better answered before the ad is published than afterwards. I want to be sure I haven't missed any egregious errors in formatting or grammar (for the paragraph-form sections).

I have not included a time frame/deadline in the text thus far because that is immaterial until I know when I'm going to be posting it.

I appreciate the time anyone spends to look and provide feedback.

The ad draft can be found squirreled away here.

I welcome posts here to notify me of anything you notice, or a PM would work as well.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Semper Fi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 757
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
I like it. It looks like the makings of an epic struggle. I'd add some pictures, I think. Of hobgoblins, a fantasy cityscape, or the princess. They add some eye candy and make it feel less wordy.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2409
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
So, 1e or 2e?

I'll be honest: I'm not heavily familiar with Pathfinder, but one thing I did notice which would come up in both 3.5 and 5e D&D is the common variants being allowed. Something like feats in 5e if such a thing exists for Pathfinder. Of course, it may already be there and my lack of familiarity may have caused me to miss it. If so, feel free to have a hearty chuckle at my expense.

Other than those two items, it answers all the baseline questions I'd need to build an app. Might have a couple specific to a character crop up during the build process, but such is to be expected.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
I like it. It looks like the makings of an epic struggle. I'd add some pictures, I think. Of hobgoblins, a fantasy cityscape, or the princess. They add some eye candy and make it feel less wordy.
I will take a look for appropriate images. I try to minimize the distraction of images when possible, but a couple might be warranted for the wall of text that this ad is constructed from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron3991 View Post
So, 1e or 2e?

I'll be honest: I'm not heavily familiar with Pathfinder, but one thing I did notice which would come up in both 3.5 and 5e D&D is the common variants being allowed. Something like feats in 5e if such a thing exists for Pathfinder. Of course, it may already be there and my lack of familiarity may have caused me to miss it. If so, feel free to have a hearty chuckle at my expense.

Other than those two items, it answers all the baseline questions I'd need to build an app. Might have a couple specific to a character crop up during the build process, but such is to be expected.
Ah, the edition bit will be taken care of with the transition to an actual Game Seeking Players thread. There is actually a thread already up from the time I tried to run this but wasn't truly prepared for it, so I will be replacing the main post and bumping the thread when I'm ready.

I am unaware of any especially common variants I missed. The wording I used indicated that I'm looking for first-party resources (which is one of the major delineations for Pathfinder), and the alternate rules in effect are listed, which is sort of like 5e's variants.

I expect those specific questions about character ideas, yes. I have no issue answering those sorts of questions. I just want to make it so that the overarching generalities are as answered as possible to make it easy on prospective players AND to give me the credibility of not seeming to arbitrarily change things as the time progresses. I am the kind of GM who likes to seem fair.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
In regards to the ad, I think there's too much information in the ad. I think you should treat it more like a pitch or spiel, rather than a thorough explanation of the game. Perhaps separate it out into two or three pages. Keep the main page short-ish, and really try to sell, sell, sell! And at the bottom of the main page have links to the additional pages of information for those that are interested.

Also, I agree that a picture or two seems to work wonders in attracting interest from players.