Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 11:31 PM
Happy Year of the Crit!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40641
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I think a crazy "monster of the month" article with lore and background (and real world ties, if any) would be an epic addition to ER.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13405
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
When I was a kid (like 4, 5, 6) I was a HUGE monster buff. I loved monster movies and stories and everything associated with monsters. From Dracula to Godzilla, if it was about monsters, I wanted to read about it or watch it.

Not surprisingly, my interest in RPGs originated when my cousin came to town with a "Monster Manual" and let me borrow it for a few days. I loved every last page of that book, but since I could quote Tolkien and mythology and dinosaurs and world monster movies chapter and verse, the stuff that really leapt out at me was the ones I had never seen before... the ones that were invented for D&D. I still have a soft spot for all of them.

Gelatinous Cube, Owl Bear, Mimic, Trapper, Lurker Above, Piercer, Ear Seeker (remember Ear Seekers??!), Doppleganger, Blink Dog, Displacer Beast, Sahuagin... these are all just off the top of my head. To this day, I've never run a campaign without a gelatinous cube and an owlbear making at least one appearance.

EDIT: Rust Monster! How did I forget Rust Monster??

Last edited by ruffdove; 01-13-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Happy Year of the Crit!

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I just wish more of the old school monsters were easily added to games that aren't straight dungeoncrawls! I mean, how do you add a rust monster to a game outdoors? It just doesn't make logical sense, unless you do some rather squirrely logic twists with a mad scientist/wizard or something like that. Owlbears I can get behind 100% (lookin' at you, my players*cough*), but I need to figure out ways to make other cool baddies viable for regular games.

I am thinking (with my infinite free time, of course) that there's a "Blast from the Past" ER article in here somewhere. I don't have access to the old magazines and books, but perhaps some of the grognards around here might? Combine a "can you believe this was actually published" wowza paragraph or two with a rough statblock in PF and/or 5e for GMs who want to use them in a game if the appropriate niche happens to come up. Sounds like I should add a poll and ask where we start. I may have to poke around and see who has actually used or fought these monsters (not just loved the idea) before it could be a real article, though.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
I have all the 1E books and LOTS of old Dragon magazines, but it seems you can find PF/3.5 stats for just about anything on the internet.

Dragon used to run a fun series of articles on monster biology. The first one they did was the piercer in Issue #72. Blast from the past could be a short feature in each issue of ER.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Happy Year of the Crit!

Tools
User Statistics
The stats are available for PF/3.5e for the most part, but I think the interesting bits would be the write-up and any of that biology they provided in the original articles. If the Dragon magazines are available for free online (since they're so old), that'd be easy to work into an article. Going through individual magazines, though, harder.

Also, to my amusement, there were mimics in a dream I had one of the last couple days. I think this thread is actively running through my subconscious, I just wish I could remember the details of those dreams more clearly. Would've made great game/story fodder.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
https://archive.org/stream/DragonMag...ne072#mode/2up

Here's Issue #72 in which the first Ecology article (piercer) appeared. It's early in the issue (right after the introduction of the Cavalier character class!). Interestingly, this was a rare Dragon article that appeared somewhere else (a British fanzine) before being published in Dragon.

Moving forward from this issue and scoping out the tables of contents will turn up a lot of ecology articles through at least issue #150 (which is about when I stopped getting the magazine. In fact, Ecology of the Catoblepas is in the very next issue. There may be ecology articles after that of course. The best ones are the ones by Ed Greenwood, IMO, because they all have Forgotten Realms settings.

The main archive page is here: https://archive.org/details/DragonMa...01801/page/n16

Last edited by ruffdove; 01-15-2020 at 10:09 PM.