OOC The Tangled Vine Tavern - Page 51 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 28th, 2022, 02:24 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 207
writelite writelite writelite
...A bit into the NPSG, i tried opening to more. Visited Western Marches... That made me feel so small, again

...I am more confident than when i reached the Crossing. My GM is very accommodating: always there for support, we talk about how the story evolves and my parts, and there is much room for experiments and adjustment. All this and the story pace... just seem to be at such great distance from W.M. demands...

It may be yet too early, for me But i was wondering... Is there something like NPSG for a group of beginners? A story that would take its time, where GM and players can meet in OOC and discuss everyone's part?

I happen to be weak at storytelling and role-playing. My vocabulary and literary skill need work on, besides learning to make my input an integral part of the collective story. How would i fit a group of experienced players, of people at ease with words and with expressing personality through their characters... I see that everyone here is nice, but should i just take advantage of that, knowing that i will most likely hinder the players' enjoyment...

And so i was thinking: Would it not be nice if i could get the same care and attention as in the NPSG while learning to fit in with a group's story? I, for one, may even benefit from a homework approach: the GM (and other players) telling me how they see my character behaving and moving the story forward, and me trying to fill that role

writelite set a single tack to the announcement, leaving it hang rather awry on the tavern's wall. Having taken a seat nearby, the apprentice now faced the room, pensively, wondering who might take notice...
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 03:18 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31279
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Good question! If I may be so bold, I do think and believe a lot of DM's are reserving a spot in a game for a new player (or even more spots). To be able to take the time to guide them and provide the opportunity for a new player to evolve and get some experience. The OOC of a game is the perfect place to help each other out and at this point, I can say through experience that every new player in my game has been able to feel safe enough to grow leaning on the guidance of the other players.

And even though experienced players may seem to come across as uhm, very overwhelming, they are also kinda nice. They are the ones to observe and learn from, and being in a game together is really cool. Never underestimate your own abilities to evolve, maybe you feel like you are weak at roleplaying but that doesn't mean it's the end of your travels, it is the start of great potential :-). I do want to raise my online voice to state that I choose not to believe you would hinder another player's enjoyment, we all started at the same point and it would be a learning experience for/to the other player who would feel that way. I realize this is not a real answer to your question but I wanted it to be said written

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ standard weekends offline ~
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 03:36 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41174
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
This is going to be a bit of a ramble, might need editing later, but I hope something in it helps.

Thanks for your query. There is no official group style New Player Game.

No two players arrive with the same level of RPG experience, play by post experience, availability to post.

One person might have sorted out loads of dice roller tricks and stat block making but is only able to post once a week. Another might be able to post every day, but is still new to figuring out basic attack rolls. Would it be fair to ask both of them to work together in a tutorial?

Now, no worries that the vast majority of folks with ads in Games Seeking Players are very newbie friendly. And no two GMs or DMs will have the same notions of what's "too little" or "too much" in an application or a game post. Your style of writing and level of experience might be perfect as is for a game right now. Everyone here was new once.

Don't think of yourself as "weak" at storytelling, you've told a story of sorts within your post just now, rather than just posting a single sentence question. You've presented a quality post.

Regarding "hindering" gameplay, I offer this advice. When you go into Games Seeking Players threads, if a game catches your attention, check the GM's Desired Posting Rate. If it's not listed, just ask. Once you read the rate, ask yourself if you could handle that for a year. A year? Ballpark figure. Some games last longer, some much shorter. And don't think about level ups too much. If a DM wants 1-2 posts a week and PCs start at 2nd level, ask yourself if you could just do that...post for a 2nd level character a couple times a week without "ghosting". If you get into a game, and you're regularly posting, then you're doing your part for the game. Don't fuss over hindrance.

Oh, and know that you don't have to be a graduate of the NPSG program to apply to regular games. You see something fun, you get an idea for a character, go for it.

Edit #1- clearly I didn't type all this quickly, for I was ninja'd by chocoladevla. Hi choco!

Last edited by zevonian; Feb 28th, 2022 at 03:38 AM.
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 09:57 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
...I wish i could see things with your ease Group play just seems so confusing right now... Yes, overwhelmed is a word i'd describe myself by. And not only for lack of skill, but also of vision - i just can't get a good enough picture of how these games work, yet: how the contributions of all players fit together, how to measure the interactions between characters, how much attention to give to each aspect of an adventure... And to top all that, there is the players' imagination i find so hard to match.

I already went through some highs and lows in my first attempts, at the NPSG, but there i greatly rely on my GM's support and guidance... Sure, i would follow my storyteller to a future game - should i get invited. Though i'm afraid i may turn out to have been quite a handful, until Mage Newby's end! Anyway, if there would be other NPSG graduates, perhaps that would get quite close to my idea

Someone wrote - and i felt the encouragement - that i'd be swimming with the sharks, soon, like everyone else Well, so far i went through the first jump and the subsequent random throwing about of arms and legs, trying to stay afloat. And there were a life-buoy and patient instructor to get me into some rhythm. But... i'm still a bit apprehensive about moving to the sharks pool next! I'd rather spend some time with the goldfish in the aquarium and then maybe try the safer pool with dolphins, learn a trick or two there

...It may seem that i talk too much, here (what did they put in that ale?!) - i am only seeing myself chatting with friendly tavern folk I don't know if that idea of a NPGG would be of use to the site, especially since i have no experience with these games and the people that join them... I just thought that my transition to group would be smoother if i took part in a game where the GM gives everyone role and story progress guidelines and they follow - the emphasis being not on practicing RP or writing skill, but on getting accustomed with story structure.

...This may be a rather abrupt ending. I just wanted to get back to you sooner and this is all that came to mind before the monster drew my attention again; you know, RL. It felt nice to (again) have your good advice and words of hope!
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 01:29 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Have you checked out all of the Continuous Recruitment Games available?

Just be up front in explaining that you're still new to play by post. There might be a group waiting for just one more player to start and would be happy for you to join.

How about posting in Players Seeking Games? You could title it "Looking for fellow newbies" and explain there what you've explained here.
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28738
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Quote:
i just can't get a good enough picture of how these games work, yet:
You got it. (yet is the key word) You'll get it with a little practice. You're having a conversation here well enough.
Quote:
how the contributions of all players fit together, how to measure the interactions between characters, how much attention to give to each aspect of an adventure... And to top all that, there is the players' imagination i find so hard to match.
You're not writing a novel. You can start basic and build from there. You can let the more imaginative or eloquent players take the lead. I've played in games with far better writers than I am; folks who's characters are so well played I'm in awe. That's ok. Everyone contributes in their own way. Try to remember to have fun.

You don't have to know how to do it to begin doing it. It is okay to be a little awkward and confused. Start simply and expand as you grow more comfortable.

Quote:
A story that would take its time, where GM and players can meet in OOC and discuss everyone's part?
All stories are slow here. Often the GM is making it up on the spot, depending on what choices the PCs make. So pre-discussion of plotline expectations or roles may not be that helpful. You can always PM (private message) your GM and ask questions about what options you have or clarifications or whatever. I think more often than not, you'll have a pretty clear thing for your character to do, even if it's just to stand around and wait for something bad to happen. You don't have to lead, you can let the story pull you around a bit.

Quote:
I, for one, may even benefit from a homework approach: the GM (and other players) telling me how they see my character behaving and moving the story forward, and me trying to fill that role
Part of the fun of being a GM is the unknown of how a player will act. They might expect one thing, but they want to see what YOU choose to do. It is generally pretty clear about how you can help the story or fill your role. I don't know of a game that is doing this sort of teaching.

As for roles, most standard character classes have clear rolls; (fighters tank damage and hit things all day long, rogues sneak around and open locks, clerics heal and support the group, wizards know things and can break natural laws). Often classes are grouped into three basic combat categories: Tank, Support, glass cannons. A tank's job is to draw enemy fire, to keep the enemy focused on them so the more fragile folks can do their work (fighters, barbarians). A support is just that, healing or buffing allies; debuffing or controlling enemies or battlefields (cleric, druid). Glass Cannons are often fragile but can hit really hard (sorcerer, rogue). This is a huge generalization and there is significant blending of roles, but if you're confused you can use this simplified system to help. Once you pick your basic role, you should be able to understand what you're "supposed" to do in a given situation. Then you try to have fun within that.

So, maybe you join a game as a big dumb fighter. You want the character to have some personality, so you give him an inappropriate sense of humor and a complete lack of social grace. You want a motivation, why they do what they do, so you just pick 'get as rich as possible so they can enjoy the good life'. Now, the game will begin, or there will be a scene or scenario of some sort. You have four basic choices: do little to nothing in this instance (stand around and let others work), fight something, offend someone, gain or spend wealth. Then, with that framework in place, you can get creative when you feel like it. Listen and react to the other players, have fun, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Try not to overthink the over-reaching narrative or matching the quality of the other players, just contribute what you can. Your voice is unique and will color the game in a way only you can.

Old Feb 28th, 2022, 08:00 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 79879
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I will second, third and fourth a lot of what has been said already...

Many GM's are pretty patient, and we actually enjoy reserving a spot for new gamers... makes us feel good, to be wanted for our (little) knowledge. Plus, we were all new here once, and we try to pay back the karma we got.

So, when you apply for a game, ask questions. Some GM's go out of their way to mentor new folks. And honestly, those GM's tend to gather players who also love to mentor... so it's likely you will find a GM that takes time to help you, AND, another player or two that does as well.

And if it makes you feel any better... Admin Ronar took pity on a new gamer here way back in 2009 or so, and invited him into a game, to kind of show him the ropes, and let him get to know the games, systems, etc.. Let him step in and take over a PC when the original player had to leave, and then helped guide him through the next couple years of game.

That was me.

and look at me now.
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 03:52 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well, it's hard to look at All the games... But it seems a natural course to me as well, to write under Player Seeking Games - waiting to be picked up by a GM; if that's how things work. Anyway, now i am not sure how good an idea was to share my thoughts here... It seemed the Tavern was also for that: looking towards future games, while waiting my turn at the NPSG.

If the concept i mentioned, for a beginners' group game, is not agreeable, of course - i see no place here for further words of mine, either. I tried to give shape to my confusion and, well, fears so as to define the general profile of a beginner like me - who might perhaps benefit from the guided group play concept. I can only leave any decision-making to the experienced people here.

When i joined, i thought much along the same lines as in your words: I'll just go with the flow and accept the low quality of my input, hoping to improve with time; a long time. And if others wouldn't like my team work, i would just bow my head and keep trying. That seemed like enough of a plan

Now that i started to write for a story (the NPSG), much of my self-awareness is occupied with the struggle of the organized, planning-ahead mind to take control of things; or at least some bearings. I clearly depend on inspiration greatly, but without the other part, my input would just be a mess. My posts may not show it, but i have to do a lot of arranging and moving around of ideas to reach the final text. And with regard to my development, the same mind makes it hard to leave things to chance - although i obviously also have to trust the people here with a lot; the GM and future story colleagues, as well as all of you who answered on this thread.

'Simple', i think, is the best, at least as default style. I'd like to achieve that, but it's not easy... An experienced player can hit all the important points in a few words - i, on the other side, would most likely miss many of those. But i understand, also, the other 'simple', of intentionally playing a background character. It may match my current ability best and even my personality may recommend a support role Any approach seems hard to put together (reliably) now, though...

I've already said too much perhaps... I'll try joining a group when i feel i can take on the additional task. Then what will be, will be.

Thank you all for the support and guidance. I hope to have the chance of playing alongside at least some of you, some day.
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 06:54 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 79879
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
You'll get more chances at a game by applying in the Games seeking players thread... those are active GM's looking to fill a game.

It's like looking for (normal) work... You probably have more luck looking at the Want Ads, where people who want to hire someone are posting, than putting up an ad yourself saying "Hire me, i do X".

Actually, to increase your chances, do both. Can't hurt!
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 12:54 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23515
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Think I'll be ready to run a solo game this summer!
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 05:07 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Greetings readers. If there's an RPG system you don't see listed, but think might be good for the NPSG program, mention it here if you like. If a solo module is possibly in the works, I'll let you know.

If you're interested in being a GM, we've got application info in a thread in the General Discussion area. Baseline qualifications include at least a year on site, 1000+ posts, and knowledge of at least one system offered within the NPSG program.