Old Jun 12th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 876
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
An Initiate's Missive

MissiveDear Readers

I'm sorry I haven't been able to make contact for the last few days. There were things happening that required urgent attention and some of them still remain unresolved, so I have to keep this brief. I managed to find a moment to write to you, as I know how afraid you must all be after what happened last Wednesday.

Some of you may have only heard rumors of the events that transpired; I regret to be the one to tell you that what you heard is true. You all know of whom I speak when I say he was a valuable friend and ally and will be missed greatly by many of us.

In light of what happened, the Masters feel it's important to remind everyone of a few things you can do to help protect yourselves against such intrusions in the future; particularly when encountering an unknown.

The Eyes are the windows to the soul. We are all familiar with the old adage. It's a bit trite, but all too true; as some of our older members can testify. We all know that when you look into someone's eyes, you get a small peek inside. This is true even when looking into the eyes of many animals; as the pet owners among us will testify. Eye gazing is a very intimate act, and we usually only do it with those whom we love and trust. When you look into the eyes of a stranger, you can only look for so long before you start to feel uncomfortable. If you continue to look into the stranger's eyes and they do not look away, you may even start to feel a little threatened. Trust Your Instincts, You Have Them For A Reason! Look Away! If there is a stranger standing outside your window staring in at you and won't leave, it's probably a good idea to call the police. You need to treat your eyes with the same care.

The thing about windows is that it's easy for thieves and worse to use them to crawl inside, especially if you leave them open and unattended. Never Sleep With Your Eyes Open! We live in a dangerous cosmos. You wouldn't leave your windows open and unshuttered in a dangerous neighborhood; why would you not take the same precautions with your eyes? Those of you who have been burgled are familiar with the stomach-lurching feeling of finding that your home had been violated while you were away. If you let something crawl inside you through your eyes while your consciousness is thrust into the aether, you may return to find that you have things missing that are far more precious then your watch and credit cards.

I'm out of time. I will have to continue in my next letter.

I'll write to you all again as soon as I am able. Until then, stay safe and remember your basics when you practice the art.

Sincerely: An Initiate

Ok, I have no idea what to put for a prefix, but nothing else fit either, so whatever.

I was thinking of a setting that I've been working on, (mostly in my head) and this letter from one of the characters that I've been trying to flesh out, just sorta came to me.

The setting is kind of an occult, psychological horror/thriller type thing. Not quite Lovecraftian but in the same ballpark.

I mostly just put this here for my own benefit, since without proper context, it probably isn't going to be all that interesting to most people.

Last edited by Helvorix; Jun 12th, 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 11:19 AM
relearning "downtime"

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50006
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
I love this, Helvorix! Don't worry about the tag, if you want to change it later just PM me, I'm happy to do it. But Vignettes is appropriate for this, and if you were going to include other such letters, I'd love to read them.

Don't underestimate the context provided by that letter alone! I can understand something eldritch happened and someone died (or was otherwise made... nonfunctional), and that it had something to do with the eyes being a portal which could be entered. I love the instructional way you've presented this, as a dumbed-down version of events for whomever is included in "Readers" a wider cult network, perhaps? It felt just the right measure of cautious of offering details but also instructional. I think you hit the perfect balance.

I look forward to seeing more of these!

Last edited by Aethera; Jun 12th, 2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 876
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
Thanks. That’s exactly what I was going for. “Readers” does indeed refer to a larger cult network.

When I do another one of these, would it be a good idea to post it here, or should I make a new thread?
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 12:30 PM
relearning "downtime"

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50006
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
If you post it here, you'll get the bonus of letting people subscribe to your thread for updates.