RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 05:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3348
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
I'm gonna try to ignore the spheres in which other players have the specialty in, I assume that if you're specialty is Mind (for example) I also assume you're the best at dispelling Mind effects.. this doesn't apply to spheres I find really cool..

So it'd be really cool if other applicant would mention (even in passing) more or less what their best spheres are gonna be

Btw, are there mechanical side effects for being Orphans? Like "Can't raise X over one dot" kind of a thing? Is it a flaw that grants freepoints? Or it's just "You pay full price for sphere points with no discounts"?

I have a friend from my Vampires time that has the 1995 manual that could borrow me, I assume that is only useful on a lore level, right? EDIT: the Mage the ascension core book published in 1995 I mean

Last edited by Ursinorum; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 07:00 AM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 974
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantha View Post
I'm interested! I have played other WoD games (aberrant and exalted I think?) so I'm sort of familiar. Never mages though. I haven't had a chance to look at the book yet so I don't have a character concept in mind.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Transit
Have a potentially important question. Did the Avatar Storm occur in your chronicle (and if so, is it ongoing)?
Yes, as detailed in the plot section. It isn't constant... rises and falls like the tide based on how thick the gauntlet is at any given time. Figure it to be Karmic backlash for the Technocracy's hand in it's creation. So if you are careful about when you step sideways, you can avoid any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIoscuri
I am interested if there are still openings. I was thinking possibly new kid in town who would be a Virtual Adept who Awakened via competing in a hacker challenge
This is a very rural area with not a lot to brag about as far as advanced networks. I'm not sure a Virtual Adept would have an easy go at it... but if you're sold on the idea, please remember that all Tradition Mages must take that 3-5 point flaw in either Enemy or Cursed to represent your previous falling out from your old Chantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum
Btw, are there mechanical side effects for being Orphans? Like "Can't raise X over one dot" kind of a thing? Is it a flaw that grants freepoints? Or it's just "You pay full price for sphere points with no discounts"?
Good question. I know that Affinity spheres are raised later in the game for fewer experience points, but does the Orphan Craft have an affinity? In previous versions, the answer was no. Let me check real quick. Ok.... looks like that is one change from the 1st edition. You can select any of your spheres to be your Affinity sphere. That one will benefit in the cost discount. Other Crafts have to pick between just a couple or three options usually. There are no real penalties for being an Orphan aside from the obvious struggle of coming into being Awakened without any sort of help or guidance, and a lot of other Mages may look down on you as if you are lesser than them... not in the clique so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum
I have a friend from my Vampires time that has the 1995 manual that could borrow me, I assume that is only useful on a lore level, right?
The fundamentals haven't really changed all that much, far as I can tell, from 1st edition. It would benefit you more than having no reference. V20's major changes to the game were collocating all of the various details from a wide variety of sources and lessons about the history of the game and setting as time went by. I'm sure there will be some differences, but probably not enough to worry about if you're talking game mechanics.

Last edited by ImpInTraining; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 07:00 AM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 03:39 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Further explaining the Tradition Mage 3-5 point flaw in Cursed or Enemy for those who were wondering...

As explained in the background, Tradition Mages have fallen victim to Nephandic influence, they've been corrupted (by the Wyrm if you will) and are going to be mostly quite sinister, with the few rare mages that split off from the Council of Nine's ultimate rule (covering any PC in this game that happens to be a Tradition mage). This made them loners enemies of the Traditions, so to speak, outsiders, rebels, anarchists. A PC in this category would have to come up with something that had happened that set him/her off, disillusioned from original alignments; something that justifies the Enemy or Cursed background.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
I have not looked into the quick reference guide. Can someone tell me if it describes the various Disparates and other non Tradition Crafts?
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
It goes over the traditions and the technocracy, I think it only mentions that there's other philosophies
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 11:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 448
mpowell60 mpowell60 mpowell60 mpowell60 mpowell60
Application

Lets make it official...shall we?

Name: Hiro "Hero" Jackson
Mage Flavor: Akashic Brotherhood Exile (Mind Body and Spirit)
Concept:Good Samaritan/ Professional (Gymnast(jock)/Martial Artist)
Nature:Fanatic
Demeanor:Caregiver(herbalist)
Focii:Katana/Ritual Kata movements

Appearance 5'6", 120lbs, Black Hair and Black Eyes emphasize his pure Japanese Features, at odds with his Caucasian Adoptive Dad. His slender build hides a sinewy strength and dexterity at odds with his stature, like most gymnasts he is small and compact. normally wears loose, non-restrictive clothing.

Background: WIP ( Martial Artist from an early age, Gymnast, Kendo practitioner, Mother runs a Flower and Herb shop, which he helps in. Gymnast trophies keep him in the Jock cliques, at least on the edges ((Gymnastics is not "Football!")) his willingness to listen and friendly demeanor brings the kids with issues to him for advice. usually takes up for the underdog in disagreements. protects non-combatants. Others learned quickly not to fight him, he has a tendancy to not harm, but humiliate attackers, even outnumbered he tries not to maim. Control is a Bylaw. Always calm, controlled, confident. Pays attention in classes. Learned some tricks of the trade from his deputy father. ((currently a junior(?) hanging with the seniors due to his athletics.))

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
It goes over the traditions and the technocracy, I think it only mentions that there's other philosophies
Drag... sorry about that.

Tell you what - everyone ... if you want a general idea of the various non Tradition / Technocracy Crafts out there, PM me and I'll shoot it to you privately. If you want to know more about a particular Craft, I will go into more detail.

Cheers.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
No drama, google-fu helped a lot. I was watching a video on the history of the traditions but didn't watch it all.. I decided that since my pc is an orphan, it's fine if I don't know everything.

Also, my app is done, I'm open for feedback.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5034
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Okay, I think Aaydan is finished
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 03:02 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
Applicants
PlayerCharacterCraftCompletion
Stormhammer - - WIP
Preacherwolf Aaydan Templar Knights In Review
Sic Transit Dana Rostami Taftâni WIP
Ursinorum Jon Ortiz Orphan In Review
mpowell60 Hiro Jackson Akashic Brotherhood exile WIP
morgantha - - WIP
DIoscuri - Virtual Adept exile WIP

Those who have a fairly completed character, I will be reviewing those characters soon and will provide feedback - promise.

It's quite a wide variety of flavors. And @Preacherwolf, I think I recall something about your character being Templar Knights from other conversations, but it wasn't in the app anywhere on my quick cursory glance-over. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Yes, that was the craft I was aiming for. I'll add it now, my bad
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 05:53 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
@Preacherwolf - I am intrigued by your character concept. I wasn't sure if a Knights Templar would fit the game, but I like your spin on it. You need to make sure that you are well aware of the dangers of vulgar magic somehow. It isn't absolutely necessary, I can give you a lesson in game and you can 'learn as you go'. However you want to go about it. Have you created a character sheet? If so, where is it located?
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
@Usinorum - I really like your character concept. I think it will work well in the game, and hopefully the other characters can help poor Jon adapt to avoid some really steep learning curve of how Reality might just lash back.

I'm going to need to see your character sheet if you have one.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 12:28 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpInTraining View Post
@Preacherwolf - I am intrigued by your character concept. I wasn't sure if a Knights Templar would fit the game, but I like your spin on it. You need to make sure that you are well aware of the dangers of vulgar magic somehow. It isn't absolutely necessary, I can give you a lesson in game and you can 'learn as you go'. However you want to go about it. Have you created a character sheet? If so, where is it located?
I'm aware of the issues with paradox and the like but I think Aaydan isn't well versed. I figure that Aaydan has been hit with paradox a bit to know that vulgar magic is not something you mess with. He probably wouldn't recognise the concept or terms of vulgar or coincidental but he'd understand that the miracles go better when the pieces are already there.

I did put together a character sheet with a character builder.

sans_nom.pdf
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:23 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
so some unexpected events have occurred on my end, and unfortunately I'm going to have to withdraw my application from this. I'm sorry, but good luck with this, Mage is a fantastic game!